PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Irrigation Business

bollweevil
10-23-2006, 06:21 PM
I have a friend that is developing a residential neighborhood and has asked me about installing irrigation in each yard, including a shallow well (irrigation well) I have looked online and found a couple pieces of equipment that drill or wash down shallow wells. The opportunity does seem to have some potential but im not sure about alot of different things like Licenses and such. I have installed some lawn irrigation systems but never a well. what do you all think about this opportunity for rural South Georgia?

PurpHaze
10-23-2006, 06:42 PM
A fork in the road:

One fork says check with your local people and see what/if licenses/insurance, etc. are required and pass the cost along.

The other fork says do it quietly and under the radar but don't biatch if you get caught.

Wet_Boots
10-23-2006, 07:29 PM
Very much a 'your mileage will vary' situation. The important basic fact to remember is that the water in the ground is the property of the state, having been assigned to them to control, as for the benefit of the public. Some states will have just about eliminated the use of shallow wells for irrigation, as water supplies tighten up (and as local water authorities want to sell as much water as they are able to)

So if the town the development is in wants to say 'no shallow wells' and they have the ability to give the developer headaches over any well that gets 'snuck in' and subsequently discovered.....

bollweevil
10-30-2006, 10:46 AM
Is there anyone from Georgia in here that can shed alittle light on this?

Lawnworks
10-30-2006, 04:40 PM
The only requirements to be an irrigation contractor in GA is to have a low voltage license. This is not enforced, and I would not worry about it if I were you. Why don't you sub out the well? or at least get some quotes/ideas from someone that does wells.

DeepRoots
10-31-2006, 06:45 PM
yup.

I work in waycross, valdosta, douglas, and tifton...
once in awhile out toward st simons (and all areas in between).

have you checked to see if the water is actually there?
the shallow well on my farm is worthless this year, and my 1acre pond is down about 5-6ft.

If you decide to do this, I would strongly advise removing any lettering from your truck, not wearing any uniforms, and giving a fake name to customers.
Chances are, one really dry year and you'll have alot of angry customers.

on another note, feel free to give them my card for service work.... I could probably swap out 4-5 shallow well pumps a day :P

as far as needing any sort of licensing or insurance, no you don't *need* any. Low volt is supposedly required, aside from myself I don't know anyone else that has one.

my only request, is if you do this, do it properly, I'm getting somewhat sickened in seeing the frequency in which 'chickenshack' developments are irrigated and landscaped.

Drew