PDA

View Full Version : Paver Driveway-Replace Old Subase?

jonmcmeen
10-23-2006, 08:56 PM
Hello Fellow Hardscapers, I am a "newbie poster" to the board. so be easy. (but I have been reading this for a long time- thanks for all the tips!)

I have been doing hardscape work for many years in my own business. But this is a first in regards to this situation. I just signed a contract to do a driveway for a good customer of mine. He has a smaller driveway (17x25) that has traditional asphalt. The asphalt has probally been there for 10+ years. It isn't in great shape, very simply- it has been nicked and torn up by the plowing of the street. (It is a slight grade up, so very easy to hit with a town plow blade which clearly has been done.) But no ruts from cars sitting on it. I noticed that the sub-base that is now exposed is approximatly 10-12'' of aggregate. Customer wants entire asphalt removed and replaced with pavers.

My question is pretty simple: Should I also remove the subase- and re-install it from scratch- (compacting in 3'' lifts like I would normally do.) or would it be better to use the existing base since it has been there for 10+ years and all the settling has already occured. (Maybe it might need a little voids filled.)

Advice?:)

Jon

GroundScapesIncorporated
10-23-2006, 09:31 PM
Replace the old base.

We started on a 5500 foot driveway this morning similar to what you are talking about.
were tearing out an asphalt driveway that has existed since the house was built seven years ago. No major settling or damage but for me to put my name on the job, Its going to be my base under those pavers.

We tore up about half of the asphalt today and excavated to 12"
The existing base has been no more than 5" deep anywhere with 3" being the average. Some drainage lines that crossed the driveway where corrugated pipe instead of sch 40.
You never really know what the base really consist of unless you do it yourself.

Rex Mann
10-23-2006, 10:03 PM
If the base is the required material you need for the base, then re-use it. If it is
already compacted and at the required thickness then I would use it.

Most asphalt will only have 2 to 4-inches of base under it. Consider yourself lucky.

Peace,

Rex

http://PaversInstalled.Com

Pavers Plus
10-27-2006, 05:30 PM
I'd reinstall the base since you're in an area of the country that deals with freeze/thaw conditions. It may be possible for you to re-use the existing gravel if it seems to be 10-12" thick. Then dig to your sub-base level, install stabilizing fabric and reinstate the base material in appropriate lifts.

It's your name, install it to last.

jonmcmeen
10-27-2006, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the your input guys!

It seems like the consensus is to pull the entire sub-base out and start from scratch, so then it is "my" sub-base in there. Makes good sense. That was sort of what I was thinking- I was thinking that I would just remove the entire base- install the geo-textile and re-install fresh aggregate since I am certain dirt and other debris will fall into the existing base. But I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask!

Heck- a few more hours in the skidsteer removing old aggregate and reinstalling a new base will be cheap insurance in my book!:)

Thanks for the input.

Jon

TURFLORD
10-29-2006, 06:13 AM
It's nice to read replies that actually offer sound advice. Common sense must be in abundance where you guys work.:clapping: