PDA

View Full Version : what blades for mulching leaves

snapper
10-23-2006, 11:23 PM
okay, new style gravely 48" deck walk behind. I bought the block off plate today, which just blocks the discharges, and it seems to chew up the leaves pretty good. I am using just the stock blades. would a form of the gater blades help any thing? Or any others? Or just stick with what i have? I have been looking for another set of blades any way.. so any insight

later chris

Raven386
10-23-2006, 11:26 PM
yes gator blades will help significantly! high lifts will be an improvement over the stock blades. or you can use both. i run doubles on my 48" lesco, high-lifts and then gators on top. i dont have any mulch kit or block off plate etc..

ed2hess
10-24-2006, 05:46 PM
With these high rpm blade speeds I don't know if it makes any differences. We use straight and wavy and the results seems the same. I don't like the high lift it seems to load the units down.....the leaves seem to ride in the top of the deck. The wavy mulch blades made by Scag work well....I don't know how a gator blade differs from Scag blades?

John Gamba
10-24-2006, 05:58 PM
okay, new style gravely 48" deck walk behind. I bought the block off plate today, which just blocks the discharges, and it seems to chew up the leaves pretty good. I am using just the stock blades. would a form of the gater blades help any thing? Or any others? Or just stick with what i have? I have been looking for another set of blades any way.. so any insight

later chris

Go to your dealer and get Rapters, there made by steins who is owned by ariens who owns gravely.

Drew Gemma
10-24-2006, 06:39 PM
don't want to change the thread but my dealer got me high lifts called corner lifts it is a high lift blade but if keeps things from piling up above the blades. the deck is clean around the blades now but it cuts like any other blade.

Greatdane522003
10-24-2006, 10:34 PM
Gator Blades all the way, b/c of them I don't own a bagger for any of my mowers just remember to keep the sharpened

whtrash73
10-24-2006, 11:44 PM
yup the mower shop man talked me into trying gator blades.they are great for leaves and to my surpise cut crab-grass stalks like it aint no thang! how-ever they were out of balance and shook my mower i balanced them now they purr!!1

Raven386
10-25-2006, 12:00 AM
i just did a yard today, absolutley covered in leaves. i wish i had my damn digi camera with me, after 2 passes there was nothing left. i can already tell theres a huge, huge! difference between just gators or just high-lifts. running doubles is the only way to go from now on ,IMO. i cant wait to pick up my mulch kit.

naturescape
10-25-2006, 09:51 AM
i just did a yard today, absolutley covered in leaves. i wish i had my damn digi camera with me, after 2 passes there was nothing left. i can already tell theres a huge, huge! difference between just gators or just high-lifts. running doubles is the only way to go from now on ,IMO. i cant wait to pick up my mulch kit.

Good luck using doubles with the mulch kit! It's either one or the other on almost every machine. I use a mulch kit in fall on my Exmark and Bunton.

Roger
10-25-2006, 10:19 PM
I have an Exmark Viking, 36" deck, 15hp Kohler. I use a chute blocker (homemade variety) for mulching leaves. After some experimenting, I found regular Gators to work the best. Standard hi-lifts I use for regular cutting and bagging produce far more blowout. Also, hi-lift Gators are more prone to blowout too. The difference in regular Gators and hi-lift Gators is hardly noticable from looking at the two, but the performance is different (e.g. can bag with hi-lift Gator, but cannot bag with regular Gator).

My spindles use a through-bolt design. This means that I have four washers on the bolt (1/4" thickness) to move the blade up or down under the deck. Normally, I run 2 washers above, and two below. But, running 3 washers on top, and 1 below will also help minimize blowout.

My typical procedure is to make an outside-to-inside racetrack pattern with the chute blocked. Then I remove the blocker and recut at a bias direction to scatter the remaining debris. My setup cannot be used on a forward/reverse pattern because too much debris will be left in a row along the right edge.

Dashunde
10-25-2006, 10:25 PM
I've got the same deck here.
I side discharge for normal cutting, but for chopping stuff up the mulch kit with those wavey blades (running doubles) works very well.