PDA

View Full Version : I haven't felt this dumb in years

Envy Lawn Service
10-23-2006, 11:01 PM
OK, so lastnight Wayne and I were talking about fall equipment, and I said...

"Ordinarily, I would instead be considering spending money to trade in mowers on newer models for next year. But I don't think I'm interested in doing that this time around because I'm so much more confident in the durability and reliability of the Lesco mowers."

........ and right about then was when it dawned on me for the first time......

"DUH!!!! ONE THING I NEVER THOUGHT OF UNTIL JUST NOW IS THAT LESCO DOESN'T TAKE TRADE-INS. Honestly, I never really thought about that aspect. I guess I might have to consider a "dealer brand" in the future to trade off my old Lesco's. Like trade a Lesco in on a Toro (for example) and buy another new Lesco, and do it in a cycle where I keep one of each, trading a unit one year, and buying new lesco's other years, or something like that.

Now I guess I have something new to ponder".....

Some great revelation I'm having here after a couple seasons.
How friggin "blonde" of me.
So there... I feel stupid.

So I've also been having it pretty rough lately with insomnia, and I only slept like an hour and a half lastnight. So tell me.... for those of you that have buying cycles worked out.... can you think of a reasonable rotation cycle I might use.... with the idea in mind that I would want to trade off used lesco's on new mowers of other brands and also continue to buy new Lesco's and cycle them in too......

Any thoughts would be appreciated as I am too tired to think this through right now, yet I'm alert enough that it's bugging me.... yeah forgive me, I'm a little wiped out...

lawnman_scott
10-23-2006, 11:30 PM
could you not just sell the used mower yourself?

gravedigger5
10-23-2006, 11:39 PM
I don't have a cycle for trading (up) I just keep buying mowers. I have seven lawn mowers, a brush hog and a disk mower. In the past six years I have only sold one mower and that was a wb that I bought used and sold even more used. I did read an article the other day that said your regular gas air cooled motors should last 100hrs per horsepower. IE: a 25 horse motor should be good for 2500 hrs under normal conditions and maintenance. They recommended getting rid of them before 75% was used up. IE: before 1875hrs on a 25 horse motor. Hope that helps, Marc

newz7151
10-23-2006, 11:42 PM
If the company that sells the mower won't take them back in trade.. what do you really think a dealer of a real brand is going to give you on one of those mowers? Now, maybe if you are shopping at a CubCadet dealer they will look at the mowers as pretty much a wash.

Envy Lawn Service
10-24-2006, 12:21 AM
could you not just sell the used mower yourself?

Yeah, I could sell them off.
As in go on and buy new again, and sit on the old ones for sale until they go.

I was just more looking at this as an inconvienence moreso than anything.
And the used market isn't too good here for buying or selling.
Not many spend this much on mowers here locally.
So there is not as much for sale and moving any commercial grade machine can be slow.

Envy Lawn Service
10-24-2006, 12:27 AM
I don't have a cycle for trading (up) I just keep buying mowers. I have seven lawn mowers, a brush hog and a disk mower. In the past six years I have only sold one mower and that was a wb that I bought used and sold even more used. I did read an article the other day that said your regular gas air cooled motors should last 100hrs per horsepower. IE: a 25 horse motor should be good for 2500 hrs under normal conditions and maintenance. They recommended getting rid of them before 75% was used up. IE: before 1875hrs on a 25 horse motor. Hope that helps, Marc

I get what you mean there. Honestly as I think about it, I've not had much luck with trading in anyways. But I think that's because I was trying to trade out of mowers much less than 75% used up. More like practically new Z's I just wanted rid of for something else. Couldn't get a fair offer on them because they were still worth too much.

4-5K is about all they'll offer on trade in, and I understand why too. It's because a dealer will have a hard time moving a higher dollar used machine because most people will pass right by a $6,000 cash purchase on a new mower (because they can't afford it) and go finance a new $9,000 mower over 3-5 years.

Envy Lawn Service
10-24-2006, 12:34 AM
If the company that sells the mower won't take them back in trade.. what do you really think a dealer of a real brand is going to give you on one of those mowers? Now, maybe if you are shopping at a CubCadet dealer they will look at the mowers as pretty much a wash.

Well, it's not like you put it.

The difference is that Lesco is a retail chain, not a hometown dealership. So the analogy would be that trying to trade a mower in at Lesco would be like going to Best Buy to try to trade your old computer in on a new one.

Understand?

As for how much a hometown dealer might offer for my used Lesco machines... Probably just as much as they would for any other brand similarly equipped in similar condition. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't.

surgeon83
10-24-2006, 08:01 AM
Put your mowers on ebay when you're ready to trade up. People pay ridiculous amounts of money for the biggest crap on there.

I tried trading in my Lesco to a Ferris dealer once, and they offered me $1500 for an 18 month old 48" hydro 17hp Kawasaki electric start machine with 300 hours that had been washed after each use and garage stored that I just paid $4152 for with tax. Yeah right!

Seriously though I recommend checking out what people bid on ebay and you'll most likely come out ahead.

Tharrell
10-24-2006, 08:02 AM
Trouble sleeping? Stop worrying, reduce the caffene, get back on the walkbehind.
You'll sleep pretty good after that.
Trade ins? Why not just sell it yourself, you'd probably get more for it.

meets1
10-24-2006, 09:32 AM
I run all toro - I have had excellent luck selling my used Z's. They have all been 52 decks and 19 - 25 hp with DFS baggers. My dealer gives me half of what I sell the mower to someone. I think that is a joke but people seem to pay cuz they tell me they don't mind a mower with 1200 hrs on it with the quality of a toro unit - then they write the check! So far everyone has been happy & no break downs on that used mower! You gotta keep wheelen & dealen!

LwnmwrMan22
10-24-2006, 10:11 AM
Well, it's not like you put it.

The difference is that Lesco is a retail chain, not a hometown dealership. So the analogy would be that trying to trade a mower in at Lesco would be like going to Best Buy to try to trade your old computer in on a new one.

Understand?

As for how much a hometown dealer might offer for my used Lesco machines... Probably just as much as they would for any other brand similarly equipped in similar condition. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't.

Envy -

The statement that's bold face, I've got a point to make about that one.

Anyways, I disagree about the retail chain comment, to a point.

Sure, it's a retail chain, but to most homeowners, it's no different than MTD, or Cub, or whatever, most likely 99% have never heard of Lesco.

That's the biggest reason that I've never looked at a Lesco mower, that, and the fact that whenever I go there to get my fertilizer and chemicals, I see equipment sitting there with no one working on them.... Now don't get me wrong, I realize that each service center is different, and that I'm not at mine 24/7, but still, I like my dealer to have a big shop with many techs, all of whom could drop whatever they're doing and move my machine to the front.

Anyways, I trade my Kubotas every 4 years, a new one every other.

I can still get about $5,000 for a mower that's 4 years old with 1600 hours on it.

I'm resigned to the fact that there's really no hours on it, but at the same time, the more hours, it's harder and harder to sell.

Basically, it comes down to a cost of about $8,000 after tax, or about $5 / engine hour each mower costs me. I run the new one while it's under warranty for 2 years, keeping my now old one as a backup, the one that's no longer under warranty from "bumper to bumper".

I look at it as an insurance policy against breakdown. I carry both on my trailer, and if I have an issue with one, the second is right there, so I don't have to pack everything up and scurry to the shop and wait.

Personally, I'd rather just dump my mower off at the dealer when I'm ready to trade. Usually, I'll even mow with it, be looking for a break, and drive over and trade, with grass still all over the mower.

The dealers know what I've done to the mower, it's always their shop that fixes them anyways, or where I get the parts at, so they've got the records.

Find a brand where you can trade, forget the dang headache of trying to sell it yourself.

Envy Lawn Service
10-25-2006, 01:02 AM
See... that was my issue in a nutshell.

The service/support issue was 90% of why I finally broke down and went there to check the mower out really well in the first place. Ended up demoing a 54" and buying a 60". Haven't looked back since.

See here it is just different, and also the local dealers I had bought from in the past were all taking me for granted.

Here in this area, most dealers hate us commercial guys. They LOVE to take our money, and expect 100% of our business, yet secretly wish we would all go belly up.

All of the commercial mower dealers here but a couple have a homeowner core business, and those left that don't have a farm tractor/grading/excavating core business. The only sole commercial dealers we had here went belly up and closed down.

So what this means is, if you don't buy from the tractor/heavy equipment dealer, when you do need service from the mower dealer, you are at the tail end of the longest line.... sitting behind every homeowner non-warranty repair, every homeowner warranty repair, and every commercial non-warranty repair.... which means your mower may sit there in line 2-8 weeks before they ever look at it to see what parts need ordering.

Out of 100%, I'd say 5% I wanted to go with a tractor dealer. But they just didn't do enough to earn my confidence and my business. I figured I'd end up playing second fiddle to a farm tractor or a trackhoe.

So at this point, I knew I was going to have to venture far away to get an acceptable machine and have a chance of getting commercial level service. I'd say I wanted to do that 5% too. But one thing lead to another, some things happened and I just decided, heck if I have to go that far away, why not at least give Lesco a call and have a talk.

They were working to earn my business from the first minute. So I went down just to look at the mowers atleast. I was so pleased with the staff and with the looks of the machine that I wanted to demo. That accounts for the other 90% and the rest is history.

LwnmwrMan22
10-25-2006, 08:59 AM
See... that was my issue in a nutshell.

The service/support issue was 90% of why I finally broke down and went there to check the mower out really well in the first place. Ended up demoing a 54" and buying a 60". Haven't looked back since.

See here it is just different, and also the local dealers I had bought from in the past were all taking me for granted.

Here in this area, most dealers hate us commercial guys. They LOVE to take our money, and expect 100% of our business, yet secretly wish we would all go belly up.

All of the commercial mower dealers here but a couple have a homeowner core business, and those left that don't have a farm tractor/grading/excavating core business. The only sole commercial dealers we had here went belly up and closed down.

So what this means is, if you don't buy from the tractor/heavy equipment dealer, when you do need service from the mower dealer, you are at the tail end of the longest line.... sitting behind every homeowner non-warranty repair, every homeowner warranty repair, and every commercial non-warranty repair.... which means your mower may sit there in line 2-8 weeks before they ever look at it to see what parts need ordering.

Out of 100%, I'd say 5% I wanted to go with a tractor dealer. But they just didn't do enough to earn my confidence and my business. I figured I'd end up playing second fiddle to a farm tractor or a trackhoe.

So at this point, I knew I was going to have to venture far away to get an acceptable machine and have a chance of getting commercial level service. I'd say I wanted to do that 5% too. But one thing lead to another, some things happened and I just decided, heck if I have to go that far away, why not at least give Lesco a call and have a talk.

They were working to earn my business from the first minute. So I went down just to look at the mowers atleast. I was so pleased with the staff and with the looks of the machine that I wanted to demo. That accounts for the other 90% and the rest is history.

And your story goes right back to the whole situation, everyone's dealer is different.

My Kubota dealer is exactly what you say, a tractor, excavator, skidsteer dealer. However, they know my story and are more than willing to put me to the front of their line.

It just goes to show that no matter the brand, you've GOT to check out the service department.

The bad part about that is, the only true way to check out the service department sometimes, is to actually buy the mower and see how it goes.