PDA

View Full Version : Suspension on JD ztrs

DLCS
10-24-2006, 12:44 AM
I heard a rumor sometime ago about suspension on some John Deere ztrs in 2007. Has anyone else heard this?

instyle
10-24-2006, 11:03 AM
my quik trac has a suspension. Called my legs. :)

but no the platform you stand on has soft bushings giving you a bit of suspension....but still rough as hell.

It would be great if they came out with a suspenion.

Total.Lawn.Care
10-24-2006, 11:18 AM
I have a 727, have not heard anything about a suspension.

HenryB
10-24-2006, 11:20 AM
That is why the Wright Standers are unbearable and so rough riding because they don't have a Spring loaded platform like the Deere and Dane.

DLCS
10-24-2006, 03:53 PM
Yeh I know the quick traks have a slight shock absorbers under the platform. But I'm talking about the sit down ztrs having suspension similiar to a Ferris.

OnMyOwn
10-24-2006, 04:43 PM
I thought Ferris had the patent locked up on suspension systems for mowers. Has anyone else heard this?

John Gamba
10-24-2006, 04:46 PM
they dont work:cry:

LwnmwrMan22
10-24-2006, 06:01 PM
they dont work:cry:

What don't??? Suspensions?? Or suspensions on JD's??

John Gamba
10-24-2006, 06:10 PM
What don't??? Suspensions?? Or suspensions on JD's??

Suspensions

LwnmwrMan22
10-24-2006, 10:47 PM
Suspensions

C'mon John.... you've HAD to have run a Ferris with 4 wheel IS by now...

You say they don't work?? How come?

green acres lawns
10-25-2006, 02:58 AM
I thought the suspension worked real well on the IS4500 I demoed on a 26 acre school property. I didn't feel beat up when I finished like I do with a rigid frame mower. I don't know how long it will hold up, but it was the most comfortable mower I have ran. Like riding a four wheeler with a mower deck under it.

John Gamba
10-25-2006, 07:49 AM
C'mon John.... you've HAD to have run a Ferris with 4 wheel IS by now...

You say they don't work?? How come?

I have ridden them from the begining. its the cut that suffers. its when the components wear out it will affect the cut or you stop or turn.

John Gamba
10-25-2006, 07:50 AM
. Like riding a four wheeler with a mower deck under it.

Exactly:waving:

LwnmwrMan22
10-25-2006, 10:05 AM
I have ridden them from the begining. its the cut that suffers. its when the components wear out it will affect the cut or you stop or turn.

I had 2 IS4000's when they first came out. I absolutely loved them.

I never had any cut problems, but the reason I don't have them anymore is because the dumb baffling system they had under the deck, if you're trying to mow at all when it's wet, it would just plug the deck completely, then shoot stuff ALL over in big clumps.

I guess I sold both with less than 1000 hours on them, but I DID have the suspenion arms break on both. This was a completely different system than they have now. Even while I owned them, they changed the front suspension arms twice.

John Gamba
10-25-2006, 10:17 AM
I had 2 IS4000's when they first came out. I absolutely loved them.

I never had any cut problems, but the reason I don't have them anymore is because the dumb baffling system they had under the deck, if you're trying to mow at all when it's wet, it would just plug the deck completely, then shoot stuff ALL over in big clumps.

I guess I sold both with less than 1000 hours on them, but I DID have the suspenion arms break on both. This was a completely different system than they have now. Even while I owned them, they changed the front suspension arms twice.

The deck is crap too but they have changed so many times i lost count. where i am the littlest change on the deck height shows up big time, when you stop hard or turn hard the deck dips so you see a gouge.

John

LwnmwrMan22
10-25-2006, 11:21 AM
The deck is crap too but they have changed so many times i lost count. where i am the littlest change on the deck height shows up big time, when you stop hard or turn hard the deck dips so you see a gouge.

John

That's odd. I ran mine on hills so steep that eventually you'd slide down to the bottom sideways and didn't notice it then.

I notice that more with my Kubotas with the pivoting front axle than I did with the Ferris'. Maybe the suspension was TOO loose??

Was it about the same as if you have a low front tire?? I know I get that when I don't pay attention after a month or two, you lose a little pressure and it'll dip on turns.

John Gamba
10-25-2006, 11:26 AM
That's odd. I ran mine on hills so steep that eventually you'd slide down to the bottom sideways and didn't notice it then.

I notice that more with my Kubotas with the pivoting front axle than I did with the Ferris'. Maybe the suspension was TOO loose??

Was it about the same as if you have a low front tire?? I know I get that when I don't pay attention after a month or two, you lose a little pressure and it'll dip on turns.

I dont need all the extra problems that come with the suspension.

COLLINSVILLE
10-26-2006, 08:54 AM
John, before you bash the ferris you should look at one. when the suspension
moves up and down the deck dosn't move. when you turn, the deck stays level to the ground. when you stop the deck dosn't dip. seems like this site likes to bash anything thats not exmark or hustler.

John Gamba
10-26-2006, 09:03 AM
moves up and down the deck dosn't move. when you turn, the deck stays level to the ground. when you stop the deck dosn't dip. seems like this site likes to bash anything thats not exmark or hustler.

I'm not bashing anything. i had tried the ferris is over the years. i would love to have a ride that smooth with the cut to match.

People demo this mower and tell us what you think. oh i did hear about 3 to 4 years ago that the is did work on the bigger models, at that time i think they only had the 4,000 out.

LwnmwrMan22
10-26-2006, 09:25 AM
I'm not bashing anything. i had tried the ferris is over the years. i would love to have a ride that smooth with the cut to match.

People demo this mower and tell us what you think. oh i did hear about 3 to 4 years ago that the is did work on the bigger models, at that time i think they only had the 4,000 out.

Yes, the new ones are completely different.

However, I agree with you John, that I had such horrible results with the quality of dispersment of clipplings, it will be VERY hard for me to buy one again.

The quote from the factory rep was "don't mow when it's wet outside". I wasn't even mowing in pouring rain, just morning dew.

fastcutter
10-26-2006, 11:55 AM
JD's cut real good..It just rides real rough.. I demo it and the Ferris 5100 it rides like a car but it's cut is junk... We run Grasshoppers and they ride real good and cut good also.

John Gamba
10-26-2006, 12:06 PM
JD's cut real good..It just rides real rough.. I demo it and the Ferris 5100 it rides like a car but it's cut is junk... We run Grasshoppers and they ride real good and cut good also.

Grasshopper has come a long way.

John Gamba
10-26-2006, 12:08 PM

What was the first color of the first IS mower when ferris owned them???? I'm going to email it to a member thats in this thread.

COLLINSVILLE
10-26-2006, 04:45 PM
John i know you think it is the blue pc25z but that machine dosn't have suspension. the first is machine was red

John Gamba
10-26-2006, 05:01 PM
John i know you think it is the blue pc25z but that machine dosn't have suspension. the first is machine was red

Ask ed at sudden service --- blue -- rear suspension.

downtown
10-26-2006, 05:29 PM
It seems this is ALWAYS the Anti-Ferris anthem...."Quality of cut....Quality of cut!". I'll admit they are all I've owned but I just don't see an appreciable difference between their cut and the cuts I see on other lawns. I'll certainly admit to Walker-cut lawns being among the best 'stripped' followed closely by Exmark's; but with a stripping kit the Ferris does a very good job as well. I've certainly NEVER had a customer complain about the cut (even just prior to a well deserved sharpening) or lost one to the issue.

Not looking to get bashed here, but it "seems" to me that this "issue" is more a preception thing ---- that to HAVE comfort you HAVE TO LOSE SOMETHING. Maybe earlier models were problematic.....I only know the current ones. Lesser performance with wet grass dispersion I'll buy......but the "quality of cut argument is lost on me.

As long as the customer is happy and writing checks, I'll take less wear and tear ON ME every time!

None of us make any $$$ laid up with the heating pad. :rolleyes:

Larry

John Gamba
10-26-2006, 05:34 PM
It seems this is ALWAYS the Anti-Ferris anthem...."Quality of cut....Quality of cut!". I'll admit they are all I've owned but I just don't see an appreciable difference between their cut and the cuts I see on other lawns. I'll certainly admit to Walker-cut lawns being among the best 'stripped' followed closely by Exmark's; but with a stripping kit the Ferris does a very good job as well. I've certainly NEVER had a customer complain about the cut (even just prior to a well deserved sharpening) or lost one to the issue.

Not looking to get bashed here, but it "seems" to me that this "issue" is more a preception thing ---- that to HAVE comfort you HAVE TO LOSE SOMETHING. Maybe earlier models were problematic.....I only know the current ones. Lesser performance with wet grass dispersion I'll buy......but the "quality of cut argument is lost on me.

As long as the customer is happy and writing checks, I'll take less wear and tear ON ME every time!

Larry

I'm happy they work for you.
John

DLCS
10-26-2006, 07:59 PM

Larry

I agree with you. Although I have never owned one, I see Ferris mowers all the time leave a nice cut. I believe all mowers out on the market leave a nice cut. Usually if its bad looking cut its one or two things wrong, operators fault or the prioperty being mowed.

LwnmwrMan22
10-26-2006, 11:36 PM

Larry

Honestly, I never had a quality of cut issue either, it was when the dew was heavy, which is often when you're mowing 70-80 hours / week.

If it rained at all, there was no way to disperse clumps, because it would just cause more clumps.

IMO, the decks are too shallow and the baffles are too narrow.

John Gamba
10-27-2006, 07:23 AM
Honestly,
If it rained at all, there was no way to disperse clumps, because it would just cause more clumps.

IMO, the decks are too shallow and the baffles are too narrow.

Thank you:waving:

LwnmwrMan22
10-27-2006, 07:35 AM
Thank you:waving:

You're welcome John.