PDA

View Full Version : Ranking The Industry's Mid Mount Z's

TPLawnPro
10-24-2006, 12:46 AM
The ZTR Mower Industry Has Become Quite Competitive.

Ten years ago, the big guns were companies like SCAG, Toro, Exmark, Dixie Chopper, Walker, and Gravely. Ten years ago, Exmark wasn't owned by Toro, Exmark was obviously becoming the industry's latest innovator, Dixons were a blue plastic Rubbermaid Z, while SCAG also delivered a solid and reliable product.

These days, there are plenty of choices.

I would appreciate it if some of you would share with the rest of us how you rank the top 5 (48" to 52") Commercial Mid Mount ZTR manufacturers. Please base your rankings of the overall quality of product, design, and best result of cut.

Here's how I rank my choices of the top 5 Mid Mount ZTR Manufacturers:

1. TORO - [Good Looking Machines, Solid Machines, Great Decks=Fantastic Cut]
2. Exmark - [Like Toro, but just barely not up to Toro's standards.]
3. Ferris - [This company will not give up on improving its Z designs.]
4. Snapper - [Sweet cut! Maintenance Demanding Machines.]
5. SCAG - [Dependable. Dated Traditional Design. A True Workhorse. Mowing Results are not the greatest.]

Willofalltrades
10-24-2006, 12:51 PM
1. TORO - [Good Looking Machines, Solid Machines, Great Decks=Fantastic Cut]
2. Exmark - [Like Toro, but just barely not up to Toro's standards.]
3. Ferris - [This company will not give up on improving its Z designs.]
5. SCAG - [Dependable. Dated Traditional Design. A True Workhorse. Mowing Results are not the greatest.]

Its hard to say. It all depends on how well the product is backed in the area. For example: I have one snapper dealer and thats an hour away. I would never even think of running this peace of equipment because of that.

So.. Scag, Toro, Exmark, Wright, Deere. Thats just mid-mounts. Im a Walker Fan.

TPLawnPro
10-24-2006, 01:01 PM
Very good point.

Total.Lawn.Care
10-24-2006, 01:02 PM
I have to agree that your area and dealer support make up a large part fo this decision. Here in my area my top 5 rankign choices would be:

1. Deere
2. Exmark
3. Toro
4. Hustler
5. Scag

MTR
10-24-2006, 04:01 PM
1. Toro
2. Gravely
3. JD
4. Hustler
5. Scag

as of 2006, eXmark is no longer predominant in my town, most of red machines are either Toro turboforce or Gravely 200 & 100 series.

Kady Landscape
12-05-2006, 07:11 PM
In my area you see alot of Toro, Scag, Walker, and Bobcat's. I don't know enough on the other brands to comment. I prefer Toro and Scag. A walker will be the next addition to the fleet.I know J/D is comming on strong but I can't help it when I see the green and gold I think of a old farm tractor not power equipment.

robbo521
12-05-2006, 07:17 PM
around here i would have to say

1. Deere
2. Exmark
3. Toro

metro36
12-05-2006, 07:38 PM
Around Here the top 5 are..

Exmark
Toro
Scag
Walker
Lesco

Daner
12-05-2006, 08:06 PM
Sorry Kubota
Exmark...
Exmark..Yes again
Exmark...I may change my mind on the new triton...have to see
Scag They make a great pc of equipment
Exmark

KS_Grasscutter
12-05-2006, 09:23 PM
Judging from popularity (as in what rides around on LCOs trialers here):
1. Dixon
2. Walker
3. Grasshopper
4. Dixie Chopper
5. Hustler

Dixon is by far the most popular here, and second is Walker. I would guess that Dixons and Walkers together outnumber all other mowers 5:1 here.

barefootlawnsandlandscape
12-05-2006, 09:40 PM
Around here:

1. Grasshopper
2. Hustler
3. Toro
4. Kubota

My preference is Toro. You just can't beat the deck, cut, and speed all in one. I am looking at Grasshopper and Walker to add to the fleet for my yards that I collect the grass. It all just depends on the dealer support in the area and that is reflected in the list above.

deereman
12-05-2006, 10:04 PM
Well in our neck of the woods it goes like this...........
#1 John Deere
#2 Exmark-Scag
#3 Ferris
And that is about all that I really see on other trailers.

jtkplc
12-05-2006, 10:34 PM
My area I see mostly Toro and Gravely with a few Exmarks, Hustlers, John Deeres, and Grasshoppers.

FIRESCOOBY
12-06-2006, 10:26 AM
Around here you see (in order of frequency):

Exmark
Hustler
Scag
Kubota
Walker

VERY rarely see Ferris, JD, Toro, Grasshopper or Lesco.

Two new Hustler dealers opened about 2 years ago and they are moving ALOT of mowers, PLUS they are a GREAT dealer. There are alot of Exmark owners converting over.

Richard Martin
12-06-2006, 11:53 AM
The single most important thing to me is how well a mower cuts the grass/weeds I have to deal with. Everything else is secondary and can be dealt with. You could have the best dealer or the most dependable mower in the world but if it won't cut grass it's useless to me.

These "polls" are just popularity contests and are worthless for the individual LCO.

FIRESCOOBY
12-06-2006, 01:48 PM
The single most important thing to me is how well a mower cuts the grass/weeds I have to deal with. Everything else is secondary and can be dealt with. You could have the best dealer or the most dependable mower in the world but if it won't cut grass it's useless to me.

These "polls" are just popularity contests and are worthless for the individual LCO.

I think this poll was steered to each individual and their area. That is how I took it. In general, what you see most is what mist likely works in your area. A lot of LCO's use Kubota's in my area, but hear they don't give the best cut around here (just what I hear). Around here, Hustler is making a HUGE showing. They give a great cut, and the dealer support is 2nd to NONE!!

Beau Rivage
12-06-2006, 02:49 PM
Hmm...I'm new at this but I can tell you what I mostly see on trailers in this area.

1. Exmark (no question of it)
2. Deere
3. Scag
4. Hustler
5. Grasshopper or Gravely

Toro seems non-existant around here except for their residential line. (been around forever) The only commercial Toro equipment I've seen was on a golf course. I've never seen a Dixie Chopper in my life. (except a picture) When I was younger the only serious mower company in the area was Yazoo. What a loss.

Precision
12-06-2006, 08:30 PM
Judged by dealer support
(lets face it most of the tier 1 mowers do a pretty good job)

Best

Toro
Scag
Both from the same dealer
then
Walker, Exmark,Grasshopper in no particular order

Worst
Dixie
Wright:demoed a mower with the blades on wrong and yelled at me
Both from the same dealer

Deere: doesn't keep any parts other than blades and spark plugs in stock (or so it seems)
Gravely: That guy is the worst clown

Buckeye Lawncare
12-07-2006, 12:37 AM
Central Ohio

1. Exmark:weightlifter: :weightlifter:
2. Scag
3. Bobcat
From 4 on it is a toss up between a whole bunch of the other less known mowers.

Just what I've seen talking to other people and from driving around. Just my two cents.

T. Wheeler
12-07-2006, 06:13 PM
The ZTR Mower Industry Has Become Quite Competitive.

I disagree with this, That's all we run and requires very minimal maintenance. The biggest repair so far was a hydro tank leaking, which was in warranty.

walker/redmax
12-07-2006, 07:11 PM
Walker
Walker
Walker
Walker
Walker
In that order.

willider
12-07-2006, 07:31 PM
1. John Deere:weightlifter:
2. Walker:walking: