PDA

View Full Version : What to use to cut 20 plus acres of flat lawn ? Need a pull behind mower suggestion

MJB
10-24-2006, 02:06 AM
Have any of you used a zero turn mower, and pulled an offset mower behind you. This is a lawn that just needs knocked down weekly, quality can suffer for speed ? If I had a wing mower I would knock this out quickly, but for a 1 yr contract on about 25 acres I can't justify that purchase. What are my options I have an extra 61 inch mower sitting but that seems to small.. I need 10ft per pass or more.
Thanks

brucec32
10-24-2006, 02:08 AM
Try NorthernTool.com. I've seen some sold there. No idea on quality though.

LindblomRJ
10-24-2006, 03:21 AM
The one in Northern tool is made by Swisher. I think they are the same company that makes the ZTR at Sears.

Tharrell
10-24-2006, 08:13 AM
You can get a good 7 gang reel mower for about 3-4k. If you're doing it weekly, it would be a good choice. That would get your cutting width up there. Plus, if you run into some tight areas just disconnect and do it with the Z.
I know of someone doing just this, I didn't think it up!

davidcalhoun
10-24-2006, 08:47 AM
Swisher
Wikco.com
Kunz
AcrEase
Plotmower

dvmcmrhp52
10-24-2006, 09:00 AM
Pulling a mower behind a Z is not a good idea, besides a pull behind like you're thinking will not keep up with it.

Why did you bid the contract if you don't have the equipment or aren't willing to purchase it?

Two Z's running will only take 5 hours........

LarryF
10-24-2006, 09:20 AM
Pulling a mower behind a Z is not a good idea........

You may want to do a search regarding towing with a ZTR. There appears to be some strong opinions that it's potentially harmful for the hydraulics. I don't necessarily share that opinion, but others are dead set against it, and it also seems that the ZTR manufacturers aren't all favorable impressed with the idea.

Meg-Mo
10-24-2006, 09:25 AM
Check arcease you can put one each side of your mower and cut 15' plus at a time. The arcease is one of the better built mowers.

Post Mowing
10-24-2006, 09:35 AM
I have a swisher pull behind. You have to slow down but keep the blades sharp and it will do a good job. i think two z's are faster but if your a one man wreaking crew it will work good.

MJB
10-24-2006, 12:13 PM
Thanks, I was looking into this. I have extra mowers I have a 61" Grasshopper and a 52" ? Walker just sitting. But was looking into my options.
Is it more efficient to get a trail mower and only hire 1 person or to pay an extra person for the other mower. Then you have to count on 2 people to show up. How is the cut with the Swisher and can you pull it 5 mph cutting 3 inches of grass each week ?

MJB
10-24-2006, 12:18 PM
You may want to do a search regarding towing with a ZTR. There appears to be some strong opinions that it's potentially harmful for the hydraulics. I don't necessarily share that opinion, but others are dead set against it, and it also seems that the ZTR manufacturers aren't all favorable impressed with the idea.

I know there are many negatives to pulling anything with a Z. I have pulled a 48" aerator with 2 other Z's every year for 10 plus yrs and the hydros have held up both are over 3000 hrs and still pulling the aerator and or mowing as back ups. So is pulling a trailmower like a Swisher approx 480 lbs tougher than the aerator ??

MJB
10-24-2006, 12:30 PM
Pulling a mower behind a Z is not a good idea, besides a pull behind like you're thinking will not keep up with it.

Why did you bid the contract if you don't have the equipment or aren't willing to purchase it? What are you talking about:dizzy: ?
Did I say I never had the equipment necessary to do the job ? I simply asked a question about trailmowers to make 1 person more efficient.

Two Z's running will only take 5 hours........ I could do it that fast with my Hustler Super Z. But it is already to busy to move to this job.

Or could 1 Z running 4 mph do it in 6 hrs pulling a trail mower? Who has a acreage per hr formula???

Mr.Ziffel
10-24-2006, 01:00 PM
Here is link to Exmark's productivity page:

http://www.exmark.com/productivity.htm

Formula for 80% productivity is:
MPH [miles per hour] X width of cut [in inches] / 124 = acres per hour

You might be better off finding a local farmer or pasture cutter who has a mower/conditioner and having him do it in exchange for taking the "hay" or maybe he can use it as silage. Since I don't know your location or conditions this may be an unreasonable suggestion but it's what I do here and it works great for me and the farmer. I'm on the wet side of the state so our haying opportunities are over but we just cut silage yesterday. I have also used my 72" Toro Z to knock down tall fields with good results but only for 5 or so acres. It's way faster than my 72" Woods grooming mower pulled behind the tractor.
Good luck, Will M>

DEEJ
10-24-2006, 01:47 PM
I run flat out most of the time on my 60" Lazer 28EFI. I am fast in the turns, and my overlap is minimal.

All that said, I don't get near 80% productivity, not even close.

The real world of rough turf, corners, hills, obstacles, and pretty girls in the distance messing up my overlap, all add up to not near the Productivity numbers listed on the various manufacturer's websites.

My point here is: don't use 80% productivity in your calculations, it doesn't even come close to reality in my experience (sells lawnmowers though!)

I use a tow behind Swisher 44" rough-cut trail mower behind the ATV to cut walking trails. This particular Swisher mower is not a finishing mower, it is a bush hog with a center stump jumper and 2 independently swinging blades. I cut everything from regular grass to 5 foot hay to small trees with this unit. It has no problem up to about 1 1/4" trees. Most amazing and gutsy machine. It has replaced the farm tractor and a 60" Bush Hog for this trail application. It is much quicker and more manouverable.

For your application I would not use a tow behind. It will only slow you down. One Z or 2 Z's would be way faster in my opinion. The tow behind will not be near as productive as the Z itself.

The fact that you have mowers sitting around now making no money, cements the decision - use the Zs!

Blessed 1
10-24-2006, 04:23 PM
I cut 9 acres in 70 minutes if cut weekly and 9 qcres in 90 minutes if cut Biweekly. Try a Lazer Z XS. 12 mph cutting pretty

Mr.Mow-It-All
10-24-2006, 04:43 PM
I use to cut 10 acres in 3 hours with my ferris 61" diesel. About the same amount of time with the dixie 72" I had before (because of the suspension on the ferris I could stay full speed even though full speed was 12 instead of 15 and only 61" instead of 72"). So if you can devote a mower and man for one day it should be able to get done without much trouble with a good gaulity large z.

zim bob the landscaper
10-24-2006, 07:31 PM
use the grasshopper and walker just get the 74" deck for the walker and i think you will be set

all ferris
10-24-2006, 08:08 PM
Why not do a 1 year lease on a 10' WAM???

puppypaws
10-24-2006, 08:26 PM
I could do it that fast with my Hustler Super Z. But it is already to busy to move to this job.

Or could 1 Z running 4 mph do it in 6 hrs pulling a trail mower? Who has a acreage per hr formula???Hustler Super Z or Dixie Chopper running 15 mph with a 72" deck at 70% efficiency. 15 times 5280 times 6' divided by 43,560 times .70 = 7.64 acres per hour. Formula is cutting speed times number of feet in a mile times the width you are cutting divided by the number of square feet in one acre times what ever percent you feel confident using.

MJB
10-24-2006, 09:16 PM
I cut 9 acres in 70 minutes if cut weekly and 9 qcres in 90 minutes if cut Biweekly. Try a Lazer Z XS. 12 mph cutting pretty

Don't get mad but that seems like your stretching it a little. More than 100%
with the 60" .... 72" maybe which deck are you using?. I have a mower that will cut faster than that with 66" deck but I don't think I could do 9 acres here in 70 minutes.

Everyone thanks for your suggestions ....

Blessed 1
10-25-2006, 07:57 AM

2 man crew with the XS cutting the whole time and the Lazer Z after edging and trimming.

LarryF
10-25-2006, 10:03 AM
I know there are many negatives to pulling anything with a Z. I have pulled a 48" aerator with 2 other Z's every year for 10 plus yrs and the hydros have held up both are over 3000 hrs and still pulling the aerator and or mowing as back ups. So is pulling a trailmower like a Swisher approx 480 lbs tougher than the aerator ??

MJB,

I tow with mine too, and I believe a lot of the warnings not to are just so much "bull cookies" as Colonel Potter of MASH was prone to say. But there's no denying that some of the ZTR manufacturers have taken a dim view of it. I was just providing a possible explanation for the comment that dvmcmrhp52 made about pulling a mower behind a Z not being a good idea. But I don't know, he may have had something else in mind.

puppypaws
10-26-2006, 04:43 PM
with the 60" .... 72" maybe which deck are you using?. I have a mower that will cut faster than that with 66" deck but I don't think I could do 9 acres here in 70 minutes.

Everyone thanks for your suggestions ....You can't, if you were cutting with a 72" deck at 12 mph you would have to cut at 88.5% efficiency to cut 9 acres in 70 minutes. If you cut in a straight line 6' wide at 12 mph you would only cut 10.18 acres and that is 100% efficiency.

Blessed 1
10-27-2006, 11:04 AM

Everyone thanks for your suggestions ....

Its all good. In my first post I did not mention that it was 2 60" Lazers and 1 is a XS which is a lot faster than a Lazer Z. The place is wide open with minimal obsticles and I spray A LOT of Round Up so trimming is minimal. I have timed it 5-6 times this year. I could not believe it myself. Thanks for the reply