PDA

View Full Version : Please let me know if I am out of line.

pcarlson1911
10-24-2006, 01:36 PM
Long story short. Couldn't start my Tiger Cub yesterday. Tried to jump it with my WB, no luck. Tried to start it with a portable jumping pack, no luck. Tried to charge and jump it with my truck, no luck. Called the shop at 5:50. They close at 6:00. I told them I was on my way over and needed to get my NEW Tiger Cub going as I was in the middle of a job. "Well, our mechanics are on thier way outta here cause the weather is so bad." (No kidding, I'm out mowing!) "We can pick up the mower tomorrow morning and drop it back off in 24 hours." I suggest that I drop it off. They agree to have someone wait and lock it up for me.

I call today and they tell me it is a faulty battery. "So we upgraded to a larger battery for more cranking power for you the cost difference is only 7 or 8 bucks so we hope you don't mind covering that."

My response "I lost 90 minutes yesterday on a job that I'm going to have to restart, and complete today, not to mention the gas both ways to pick up and drop off."

His response, "OK, I'll eat it."

Did I ask my shop to do something that is out of line?
pc

Mowerboy04
10-24-2006, 01:44 PM
no i dont think so

2menandamower
10-24-2006, 01:57 PM
Two things come mind and that is how old is the mower and the battery they replaced..... and did they ask you before hand if putting in a ""bigger" battery was OK. I say you are in the right here....

saw man
10-24-2006, 02:11 PM
You complained to them that it put you out? Didnt this also put someone at that shop out to stay late for you?

I am not saying the shop shouldnt have ate the cost, I just think your comment was out of line. You were both put out, it sucks but **** happens sometimes.

mag360
10-24-2006, 02:30 PM
Assuming that they had good intentions with the upgrade and the fact that they were willing to do you a favor and pick it up if needed I'd say just pay the difference. It was nice of them to eat it, though.

pcarlson1911
10-24-2006, 03:06 PM
I thought about handing the guy a five for staying, but at the same time, it is his job to provide customer service and his companies job to motivate him to do that. I have motivated his company by investing $9177.05 in a mower At this point and time that mower has cost me $746.10 per hour. I have a hard time taking a hit for more unitl it starts to earn!

I hear stories about shops who will deliver demos to job sites and I have a hard time accepting any level of service less than that. An employee waiting 10 minutes to help me push a mower off my trailer is not a huge sacrafice in my opinion. That is the service I give to my customers...It is the service I expect in return.
pc

saw man
10-24-2006, 03:14 PM
So he should stay after for you but you as a "professional" does not need to have extra equipment to finish a job for your customers? Seems like a double standard.

Before you ask, I had extra of all equipment in case of a breakdown, and the business today I have extra.

pcarlson1911
10-24-2006, 03:44 PM
and it was on the trailer. I spoke to my customer and asked if they would like me to return to complete the mowing with my walk behind. The response was don't sweat it. I offered. They declined. I charge a price that motivates me to return and complete my work in the dark if needed for their satisfaction.

There is so much talk on this site where people complain about price point consumers. I am not a price point consumer, but I do expect something additional for the money that I pay. I expect service.

On the account I was cleaning up yesterday, I took an extra ten minutes putting all the toys back in the sand box (20'x40') after I blew them out with the leaves. I did not expect the homeowner to tip me. It is my job to make the customers happy. I could have left the leaves in the box, or I could have moved over the toys, but either of those responses would have potentially left my customer unhappy.

this is the same account that I brought a 1/2 yard of dirt to and some seed to do some turf repair on. the homeowner didn't ask me to do the repair, but they sure appreciated it. When I need to raise my price next year they won't care because they will know that they are getting more than they pay for! That is what I want from a shop, I've paid for it!
pc

saw man
10-24-2006, 03:56 PM
Did you not get it?

coolbreeze
10-24-2006, 04:06 PM
i can see both sides of it, since it was NEW. if the battery that came with it wasn't big enough, wouldn't they have this problem all of the time? i would pay the difference only because the cost is minimal, but i would try to convince them otherwise, also they did you favor by allowing someone to stay late even if they were closing early.

DLCS
10-24-2006, 04:26 PM
Ok here is my take. You are not out of line. When they sold you this mower, I'm sure they new you were a business and that you would depend on this unit. Selling mowers to commercial companies is different than selling to residential customers, reason is that businesses depend on their equipment to make a living. My dealer always goes the extra step for me it goes without saying, he know I need my equipment to put food on my table and he knows this when he sells to me. I've even had one of the mechanics come in on Easter to make sure I was ready to go on Monday(I broke down on Saturday). I didn't ask them to, they automatically did it. I don't care how much equipment you have for back-up, its still needs to be fixed and being brand new makes it even more urgent.

My guess for the larger battery was because they didn't have anything smaller.

LwnmwrMan22
10-24-2006, 06:10 PM
I thought about handing the guy a five for staying, but at the same time, it is his job to provide customer service and his companies job to motivate him to do that. I have motivated his company by investing $9177.05 in a mower At this point and time that mower has cost me $746.10 per hour. I have a hard time taking a hit for more unitl it starts to earn!

I hear stories about shops who will deliver demos to job sites and I have a hard time accepting any level of service less than that. An employee waiting 10 minutes to help me push a mower off my trailer is not a huge sacrafice in my opinion. That is the service I give to my customers...It is the service I expect in return.
pc

Two things.

One, if it were the battery, and only the battery, which if you would have taken the wires off of the battery, and jumped those, you would have known it was the battery, and not something more complicated.

After that step, you could have quickly went to an auto parts, Wal-Mart, etc., got a battery and finished the job.

After THAT step, I don't get how you lost 90 minutes?? You said yourself that you had another mower on the trailer, that right there makes it your own choice not to finish the job, or at least work until you cannot see anymore, and TRY to finish, at which point you then go to the shop very first thing in the morning and get the mower fixed.

Is that NOT the reason to have the second mower ON the trailer??

Okay, back to the line that I highlighted.... how do you figure at this point in time that the mower has cost you $7xx.xx / hour?? Do you only have 12hours on the mower?

Anyways, I would have been happy to have my mower back that quick. My dealer knows that I'll cover any cost as long as I get my mower back before anyone else's gets worked on. I gotta work, not worry about $7 or $8.

dvmcmrhp52
10-24-2006, 07:13 PM
This was a new mower?
They upgraded the battery?

B.S.

pcarlson1911
10-24-2006, 09:28 PM
1. I apoligized for balking at the $8.00 charge. I explainedthat I was caught off guard and that theydid exactly whatI would want. They provided excellent customer serviceand that costs moneyand I don't know why I didn't expect to pay for it.

2. I offered to pay.

The response form the company was simple. "We aren't sure why we ever thought you should be responsible. The battery was bad and that is scag's issue and we also found a bad ground which is why you couldn't jump it. This work is warranty work. there is no reason that you should have to bring a mower in for service with 12 hours on it."

everything worked out well.

LwnmwrMan22 take a look at the weather forecast for Cleveland yesterday. We had 1-2inches of snow. Yes I have a 36 wb on the trailer. It simply does not compare to a z with a power assisted bagging system for fall clean up in the snow. I made the call to get the z fixed ASAP because it is the best tool for fall cleanups. I could have used the 36 until dark and emptied my accelorator 4356 times. The job would have still been incomplete, and I would have had to start over agian today. Someday Iwill have two zs.

again everything worked out

ed2hess
10-24-2006, 10:42 PM
The interesting thing is they got a broken machine up and running in 24 hours. I would have gladly dropped a $20 bill to the shop guys for that, and remember the old phrase concerning burning bridges. Turnaround time at our local shop is 4 weeks.......unless you have some "chits".

LwnmwrMan22
10-24-2006, 10:50 PM
The interesting thing is they got a broken machine up and running in 24 hours. I would have gladly dropped a $20 bill to the shop guys for that, and remember the old phrase concerning burning bridges. Turnaround time at our local shop is 4 weeks.......unless you have some "chits".

Exactly... I buy everyone in the place, salesmen, parts people, service techs, service managers pizza once or twice a year.

It's not even $100 for 8-10 pizzas if you go talk to the local pizza place, and when I walk in with a problem, guess who's buddy buddy??? :D

LwnmwrMan22
10-24-2006, 10:53 PM
1. I apoligized for balking at the $8.00 charge. I explainedthat I was caught off guard and that theydid exactly whatI would want. They provided excellent customer serviceand that costs moneyand I don't know why I didn't expect to pay for it.

2. I offered to pay.

The response form the company was simple. "We aren't sure why we ever thought you should be responsible. The battery was bad and that is scag's issue and we also found a bad ground which is why you couldn't jump it. This work is warranty work. there is no reason that you should have to bring a mower in for service with 12 hours on it."

everything worked out well.

LwnmwrMan22 take a look at the weather forecast for Cleveland yesterday. We had 1-2inches of snow. Yes I have a 36 wb on the trailer. It simply does not compare to a z with a power assisted bagging system for fall clean up in the snow. I made the call to get the z fixed ASAP because it is the best tool for fall cleanups. I could have used the 36 until dark and emptied my accelorator 4356 times. The job would have still been incomplete, and I would have had to start over agian today. Someday Iwill have two zs.

again everything worked out

Not to bust your chops, but if you're out in the snow trying to bag, you've got other issues than just a bad battery.

Seriously. Wait 1 day. If you don't get the work done this fall, it'll be there next spring.

If the people are that peeved that you didn't get it done, give them a break on a cleanup in the spring by 15%.

There's still a month worth of weather to get cleanups done. You'll never get all that are available, so just get what you can now, then get the rest when the snow is gone.

grass disaster
10-24-2006, 11:01 PM
relax man

if you freak out about this you have issues.

dvmcmrhp52
10-24-2006, 11:05 PM

Getting a machine up and running in 24 hours while it's only got a total of 12 hours on it is something special?

I guess I have some "chits" cause I'm not that easy.

pcarlson1911
10-24-2006, 11:28 PM
relax? I'm not worked up. I am just interested in the opinions of others and how you would handle the situation. :)WHY DO YOU HAVE TO MAKE THIS PERSONAL AND TELL ME I'M WOUND TOO TIGHT!:) Just joking!

I gues I'm with dvmcmrhp52 I don't see keeping a brand new machine running as some kind of heroic feat.

I agree with the concept of getting more with sugar than vinegar and that is my typical practice. just didn't use my skills today on the phone.

As for the snow, it wasn't snowing when I started....Today I completed the job in the snow again, it wasn't snowing when I started!

QualityLawnCare4u
10-24-2006, 11:30 PM
I understand your point but also have to look at it from their point. Lets say you paid the 7-8 bucks for them waiting for you, they will remember that next time you are in a bind. H*ll, I wished I could find a dealer around here, ANY dealer that actually half arsed cared. I persoanlly think I would have paid the few extra bucks. Now if it had been a bigger chunk of cash would have felt different.

WildWest
10-24-2006, 11:52 PM
If I had a BRAND new mower, that may only be a few months old, I would expect the battery to last ATLEAST 2 years. Now if my new battery in my new mower sh*t the bed, I would be highly upset! The fact that the dealer hung around for you to show up, now that's a good dealer...I would have taken care of the 8 bucks, but I don't feel that you are out of line letting him eat it.

Think of it as a car. A dealership would not have even looked at you if you were banging on the door to the shop if it were past business hours! You would have had to wait! NO MATTER WHAT HASSLE it caused you!

This dealer, did a pretty good thing by hanging around to get you in atleast! Asking you to help with the 8 bucks..... hell, i would have given him 10.00 just for waiting for me and paid the 8 bucks.

The guy may not be likely to hang around next time you need him to if #1 he has to stay late, and #2: has to eat 8 bucks after staying late trying to help you.

I understand your point! Don't get me wrong, I would be pissed as hell, but it's a battery.... they do short out, and that's beyond your dealers fault. If a blade fell off, or the friggin engine fell out, THEN I would climb up his a$$ for my loss!

If it were me..... I'd go give the guy the 8 bucks and tell him thanks for hangin' around. :)

ECS
10-25-2006, 12:30 AM
Last year my brand new Z took a chit while doing spring cleanup. My service man was there in 30 min to fix it. This happened 7 more times last year and each time he was there to fix it. I had to wait 1 1/2 hours one time. He always got me up and running. This problem made me have to work on Memorial day and the 4th of July. Even though he was off and had family plans, he gave me his cell phone # in case I broke down again. Never charged me a penny, never even hinted about a charge. His only concern was to keep me up and running and earning a living with the equipment I purchased from him. To have to wait like some of you have mentioned, to me is unheard of. So to answer the original question in topic, No you were not out of line.