PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Doing steps/wall need help

Ric3077
10-24-2006, 06:50 PM
I will try to get a pic asap, but for now...I am putting in 3 steps and doing it with step blocks stacked as opposed to putting the higher steps on the base material (1st step buried, 2nd step has 1 row buried and 1 as a step,3rd step has one row buried, one covered or just behind the 2nd step and 1 level acting as the 3rd step. If that makes sense...all of these steps are going to have caps that hang over the front, and both sides about 1 inch. My question is to the left and right of the steps I need to put a retaining wall acting as the side walls to the stairs...with the caps hanging over the sides of the stairs I wont be able to put the blocks flush against the stairs...what is normally done in this situation? THANKS!

tthomass
10-24-2006, 07:37 PM
if i followed that correctly just cut it flush without an over hang......pics are best

Ric3077
10-24-2006, 09:28 PM
I know I can cut the edges...but I want to know if there is any other tricks? Also the top step is a bit wabbly...the block below is a level, but the blocks must be imperfect...what is the best way to fix this...also when I glue the caps on with this get fixed at all? Please help thanks!

Ric3077
10-24-2006, 09:31 PM
Pic is too large to attach but I put it online...click here to view (or copy and paste)
http://www.tomasiscuttingedge.com/fiskarborvitaes.cfm

tthomass
10-24-2006, 11:38 PM
i would get another block and return that one if what it is sitting on isn't imperfect

Ric3077
10-24-2006, 11:48 PM
Yea I may have to do that...the wabble is VERY slight...I am wondering if I add some block adhesive if it would fix it...I am new to these things so not sure...

Pavers Plus
10-27-2006, 05:37 PM
it's amazing how block companies want to tell guys to install steps that way..... Let's sell you a ton of block you don't really need....but anyway

The wabble may subside once you glue everything, also once you start backfilling against the back of the steps, it should tighten up a bit. As for the side walls, just cut the caps flush like stated above.