PDA

View Full Version : Dragging a ZTR out of Bog

Mickhippy
10-24-2006, 08:17 PM
At this stage, this is a hypothetical question but no doubt I will get the SZ bogged sooner or later so....

When you drag your ztr out of a bog with a truck, do you release the hydro valves (what ever there called) first so its free wheeling or do you just drag it out?
Im talking a couple of feet, not across a paddock or anything! Id say towing it any distance would be a good idea to release the valves but, Im saying just out of a bog, a couple of feet!

What do ya's reckon?

stuffdeer
10-24-2006, 08:25 PM
Release they hydros. It'll make it pull out easier.

mike lane lawn care
10-24-2006, 08:40 PM
release the hydro, you can damage if the wheels spin with the hydros engaged.

lawnspecialties
10-24-2006, 08:41 PM
For just a few feet, no. My dealer even told me it was no big deal and I've had to do it a few times already.:dizzy:

dcondon
10-24-2006, 09:14 PM
release the hydro, you can damage if the wheels spin with the hydros engaged.

Well said !!!!! Always do it because your going to run into big problems and lots of $$$$$ if not.

puppypaws
10-24-2006, 10:04 PM
At this stage, this is a hypothetical question but no doubt I will get the SZ bogged sooner or later so....

When you drag your ztr out of a bog with a truck, do you release the hydro valves (what ever there called) first so its free wheeling or do you just drag it out?
Im talking a couple of feet, not across a paddock or anything! Id say towing it any distance would be a good idea to release the valves but, Im saying just out of a bog, a couple of feet!

What do ya's reckon?Want hurt it, you are sliding it in slick mud the tires are not trying to turn against the hydros until you hit solid ground then you are going to drive it.

Mickhippy
10-25-2006, 02:14 AM
Thanks guys!
Trouble with the SuperZ is that one of the valve nuts is in a really bad place. Hard to get at.

So basically, as long as the wheels dont turn its ok! What if I have the breaks on and then drag? Should pull easy enough if slippery ground. Loose traction all the bloody time!

Heres another semi related question!
What if the hydro belt comes off? This has happened to me on a slope and if I didnt think to put the breaks on, I would of rolled to the bottom. Basically free wheeled!
I ended up having to pull it up the slope a few meters to level ground to replace belt. (Not a good job on an ants nest.) Wheels seemed to turn no problem. So is it the hydros or the clutch that can be the problem?

BMFL79
10-25-2006, 02:15 AM
Better safe than sorry. I was advised to release the hydros. Takes a few seconds on and off. You never know when something will break, and no one ever kicked themselves in the butt for being being cautious with hydros. Especially when you are talking a lot of cash to repair/replace.