PDA

View Full Version : Wasted day

Tharrell
10-24-2006, 08:15 PM
Short story first. Against my better judgement, I attended a bid conference for 2 sets of state rest areas. Got there late and couldn't bid.
Now for the details.
I DID get there on time BUT, got the run around from a darn receptionist.
I was at the wrong building on the wrong street.
She said "go down the street to Kings drive extention and turn right. Then go almost to the end and you'll see all the yellow trucks." I told her to call and tell them I was there.
I raced down the road wasting more time looking for this road. I turned around after feeling like she missed something. She then told me the street was only a half mile and just after the Pet dairy building.
There was NO STREET SIGN.
I got there only to be met by yet another dittzy receptionist.
Finally I got someone to come out and explained it all to them and he said to come in.
I sat through this droning on and on and on and on reading the contract word for word. Over an hour and a half.
Then at the end this woman said anyone arriving late was ineligible to bid. I'm not sure of my exact words but I can tell you there were plenty of expletives and such. I'm not embarrased to call an idiot out when I see one.
I confronted the guy who told me to come in and he said he thought I might like to sit in.
SIT IN?
Who in their right mind wants to sit in for that with no possibility to bid?
Don't you just love government employees?
I was all set to walk away until the guy told me I could sit in.
I guess I shook one guy because he came out and started taking my tag number down. Well, he wanted to know if I had a problem and I told him the only problem I had was when someone was staring at me. I didn't know if maybe he was a "expletive for a root gobbler".
Anyway, hope I didn't screw the pooch for Mike and Richard. We stuck around and chewed the fat for a while.
Mike, if you get those jobs, they are gonna microscope you good.
This has done it for me. They'll probably go for some rediculous price like the other ones did.

MMLawn
10-24-2006, 08:39 PM
Short story first. Against my better judgement, I attended a bid conference for 2 sets of state rest areas. Got there late and couldn't bid.
Now for the details.
I DID get there on time BUT, got the run around from a darn receptionist.
I was at the wrong building on the wrong street.
She said "go down the street to Kings drive extention and turn right. Then go almost to the end and you'll see all the yellow trucks." I told her to call and tell them I was there.
I raced down the road wasting more time looking for this road. I turned around after feeling like she missed something. She then told me the street was only a half mile and just after the Pet dairy building.
There was NO STREET SIGN.
I got there only to be met by yet another dittzy receptionist.
Finally I got someone to come out and explained it all to them and he said to come in.
I sat through this droning on and on and on and on reading the contract word for word. Over an hour and a half.
Then at the end this woman said anyone arriving late was ineligible to bid. I'm not sure of my exact words but I can tell you there were plenty of expletives and such. I'm not embarrased to call an idiot out when I see one.
I confronted the guy who told me to come in and he said he thought I might like to sit in.
SIT IN?
Who in their right mind wants to sit in for that with no possibility to bid?
Don't you just love government employees?
I was all set to walk away until the guy told me I could sit in.
I guess I shook one guy because he came out and started taking my tag number down. Well, he wanted to know if I had a problem and I told him the only problem I had was when someone was staring at me. I didn't know if maybe he was a "expletive for a root gobbler".
Anyway, hope I didn't screw the pooch for Mike and Richard. We stuck around and chewed the fat for a while.
Mike, if you get those jobs, they are gonna microscope you good.
This has done it for me. They'll probably go for some rediculous price like the other ones did.

1) Yes I can attest there were lots of "kind words" that you said :laugh: :laugh:

2) Shoot when I got back they had already called and blacklisted me just for talking to you :laugh: J/K!

Like I said they should have ask if any of the other contractors had a problem with letting you bid. Nobody would have and you would have wasted half your day.

BUT if I had you money I wouldn't sweat it anyway :cool2:

Tharrell
10-24-2006, 08:42 PM
Sorry Mike, all my money is tied up in trucks!!!
I hated that I seemed to lose it but, I knew it was futile and was more pi$$ed at myself for even attending.
Anyway, it was good to meet you and I hope either you or Richard get the work. Tony

MMLawn
10-24-2006, 08:46 PM
See I told you about your trucks you have stashed!

It was good meeting you too and don't sweat the meeting. I would have reacted the exact same way (or worse) and like you said just like before some dumbazz will bid it way too cheap. If you ever need anything my way just ask!

DFW Area Landscaper
10-24-2006, 08:52 PM
Government employees make me want to puke. Can't stand to deal with any of them.

They report to no one, they know it and they want to flaunt it by being the biggest ass they can be.

There are no worse employees on the planet than those found in places like court houses and tag/tax offices. They are totally out of control.

Interesting story: Back in the 80's, my old man had just moved our family from Oklahoma to Texas. He had the wonderful joy of re-tagging all the cars, a trailer and a moped from Oklahoma plates to Texas plates. So he goes down to the tag office and stands in line for like an hour. Finally, he gets up to the lady and she goes through all the paperwork and of course, he is missing some document. She gets this look on her face, that look that only a government employee can have after they know you've wasted your time and sends him away. He drives back home to get whatever document it was, and comes back, stands in line for another hour and gets to the same girl. She goes through all her paperwork and catches him on another BS document that he didn't have with him. Same thing again, he goes home, gets whatever it is that she required and comes back and stands in line for an hour. He gets the same girl and this time he is approved. She says "That'll be $335.26. He grabs his check book and starts writing a check. She gets this look on her face, like she loves this part, and tells him they don't accept personal checks. She is loving it because she knows my old man just wasted an hour in line and accomplished nothing. So my old man is steaming by now. He goes to the bank and gets the cash, but he asks for it all in quarters. He takes all the quarters, unrolls them and throws them in his brief case. He goes back to the court house and stands in line for another hour. He goes right back to the very same girl. She does all her stuff for 10 minutes and tells him, "That'll be $335.26." My old man hoists the brief case up on the counter, pops it open and there is the money, all in a quarters, not rolled or anything. He says "There you are. That's exactly $335.26." She stormed off and got her boss. Her boss comes back and she sides with the worker. They tell him it's got to be larger bills or they can't accept it. My old man stood his ground. They went and got the judge next door and the judge told them they had to accept it becaus it was legal tender. He loves to tell that story.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

Tharrell
10-24-2006, 08:55 PM
Hey just a side note. I followed Richard back and we stopped and looked at how the state employees did at the northbound 77 location. They would have lost several hundred dollars in performance fines if they had been independant contractors like us.
I followed him back so if anything happens to that guys truck, Richard can prove I didn't hang around!!!

Tharrell
10-24-2006, 09:00 PM
That was a good story!!! Mike told us some similar stuff about someone over seeing his companies work at the rest areas he does now. He came out on top.
I couldn't stay in the military because of the "government employee attitude".
They don't have to make a profit so they don't have to perform.

MMLawn
10-24-2006, 09:09 PM
Hey just a side note. I followed Richard back and we stopped and looked at how the state employees did at the northbound 77 location. They would have lost several hundred dollars in performance fines if they had been independant contractors like us.
I followed him back so if anything happens to that guys truck, Richard can prove I didn't hang around!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

BTW, I should have followed ya'll......I went through Charlotte and sat on I-85 for 1.5 hours cause of a flippin wreck at the Concord exit.....and what's worse is I KNEW it would happen :cry: