PDA

View Full Version : Which trimmer???

Lawnut101
10-24-2006, 08:42 PM
I'm deciding if I should get a new trimmer or not. I've been looking around for some time and am wondering about a few. I'm thinkin about an Echo SRM-210 or 210sb, a Husqvarna 125, or a redmax of some sort. I only need it for light trimming as I only have a few jobs, and I have some more powerful yet not commercial trimmers. One is a briggs and stratton and the other is a weed eater bc2500le. I want a nice, light, commercial trimmer, yet I don't want to spend more than about 250 and preferably less.

1. If I go with the Echo, should I get the split-boom model or the regular? Are they durable? What are the pros and cons? Are they worth 200$?

2. Anyone know if the Husky 125bl is a commercial unit? It is on sale for $170. Is this a good price? How long does it last?

3. How is Redmax? I have one of their blowers, but have heard both positive and negative about their trimmers. Any good models?

Thanks guys. ANY advice of any kind would help. Even if it is about a different brand.

Waterscapes By Design
10-24-2006, 08:47 PM
well if you dont have but a few yards to do I would definately recommend a split boom....If you can find one at $200 that is great, my Shindaiwa was a lil more expensive but I love it.

They are decent, the only bad side to it, is that if you dont get in the habit of putting the lil cover over the extension you arent using you risk getting sand and grit in between them and that isnt necessarily a good thing..

I dont particularly care for Echo....Shindaiwa, Redmax (a lil heavier I think), and Stihl are good buys in my opinion.

stuffdeer
10-24-2006, 08:49 PM
Nobody is gonna reply, As you should use the search feature.

ed2hess
10-24-2006, 09:35 PM
I'm deciding if I should get a new trimmer or not. I've been looking around for some time and am wondering about a few. I'm thinkin about an Echo SRM-210 or 210sb, a Husqvarna 125, or a redmax of some sort. I only need it for light trimming as I only have a few jobs, and I have some more powerful yet not commercial trimmers. One is a briggs and stratton and the other is a weed eater bc2500le. I want a nice, light, commercial trimmer, yet I don't want to spend more than about 250 and preferably less.

1. If I go with the Echo, should I get the split-boom model or the regular? Are they durable? What are the pros and cons? Are they worth 200$?

2. Anyone know if the Husky 125bl is a commercial unit? It is on sale for $170. Is this a good price? How long does it last?

3. How is Redmax? I have one of their blowers, but have heard both positive and negative about their trimmers. Any good models?

Thanks guys. ANY advice of any kind would help. Even if it is about a different brand.
You can't go wrong with the Echo but that unit would be homeowner grade level. The 260T level is a good commericial grade and the split boom does just fine. The one with articulating head is very good but kinda heavy and is likely well beyond the $200.

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
10-24-2006, 09:39 PM
What is only a few jobs? I will be honest with you about the 210. We had one last season and it was dead by the end of the season. It was not the only trimmer that we used either, so it was not the only trimmer taking abuse every day. The 210 really is more of a homeowner model. Keep in mind that for every 4 or 5 weekly accounts that you do that will equal to about one month of doing one lawn (If all lawns are relatively equal in the amount of trimming). If you only have 10 lawns a week that equals to about 2 months of wear and tear in one week. Multiple that by the length of your season. Let's just use 25 as a round number. That would be the equivalent to 50 months of wear and tear, or a little over 4 years.

If you are going to go with an Echo I would at least go with the 230. That is JMO.

LawnBrother
10-25-2006, 11:09 AM
I agree. The SRM 210 is not commercial. I do have one, it's a 2100 (same thing, just older) and it has seen light comm. use over the last 5 years, and is still ok as a back-up. But only as a back up, and I would bet that the newer ones are made cheaper. Pass on the 210. Right now I am liking the Stihl KM 110 multi tool. $$$ but well worth it. If I only had $250 to spend, though, I would defenitely go with a Red Max, I saw a comm. unit for like $259. I was an updated model of one that served me well for the last 3 years, but was at least 5 years old. Finally died a few months ago, but was a hell of a trimmer. I think it was a BCZ2600 or something like that, might be wrong about the #.

TheLawnBarber
10-25-2006, 11:29 AM
For your applications the Echos that you've listed would do great. The Echos are powerful and light weight. But I would stop by your Stihl dealer (if you have one) to check out the Fs-55 I think it would work out for you.

Potchkins
10-25-2006, 01:45 PM
eather the FS-55 as mentioned or the FS-100 RX

Billz
10-25-2006, 03:00 PM
I have been using the Echo sm210 for 2 years now, with no probs at all... We maintain about 90 properties weekly. It is my main trimmer, only prob is slow starts at about 40 degrees! brrrrr

newbomb
10-25-2006, 03:16 PM
Echo makes a 2600 series that is heavy enough for your needs. I cut 30 - 40 a week with the 2 I have. It should last a few seasons at least. $289 though.

lawnwizards
10-25-2006, 04:11 PM
i have 2 echo srm 210s. one is 4 years old the other is 3 and they both run as good as they did when new. (around 30 customers worth) as someone mentioned earlier, they do get finicky when the weather is cold though.

walker/redmax
10-25-2006, 05:36 PM

I have only good things to say about my redmax BCZ3000!:drinkup:

Lawnut101
10-26-2006, 06:41 PM
Alright, thanks for the advice. It sounds like it's hit or miss with the 210. so, does anyone know anything about the Husky? I was leaning towards the redmax also, because I just got an EB7001 blower and I love it. The only reason I'm not sure about if I want one or not is because they are a little pricier. One guy at a store that sells both echo and stihl told me that echo is better than stihl and he showed me a bunch of reasons why. I'll have to check out stihl anyways. Not sure if he was right. I have one of their handheld blowers and I love it. Thanks.

Waterscapes By Design
10-26-2006, 08:17 PM
man if you could remember some of the reasons why he said echo was better than stihl I would love to hear them....Im not challenging him-or you, I just really disagree. Thats just a personal opinion of course but if you could enlighten me that would be great

saw man
10-27-2006, 12:02 AM
Alright, thanks for the advice. It sounds like it's hit or miss with the 210. so, does anyone know anything about the Husky? I was leaning towards the redmax also, because I just got an EB7001 blower and I love it. The only reason I'm not sure about if I want one or not is because they are a little pricier. One guy at a store that sells both echo and stihl told me that echo is better than stihl and he showed me a bunch of reasons why. I'll have to check out stihl anyways. Not sure if he was right. I have one of their handheld blowers and I love it. Thanks.

The Husky you mentioned is junk. If you want Husky get into a 3 series (323, 326, or even the 232 or the new 335). Do not buy the 125 series!! Gutless and I believe it is a Poulan unit.

Just Mow
10-27-2006, 10:35 AM
Look at the Stihl FS80R it is a good unit for entry level commercial.

Lawnut101
10-27-2006, 12:19 PM
Yeah, I figured that the Husky would be junk. Just thought I'd ask since it was so cheap. My uncle has a Stihl and he loves it. Can't remember the number on it.

walker/redmax
10-27-2006, 05:38 PM
You get what you pay for.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
10-27-2006, 05:57 PM
Seek out a Lesco and go buy a Kawasaki trimmer from them. I bought a 27cc unit early this summer and it has massive power, starts easy - although to be honest it does take a good hard pull on the cord to start it, lots of compression in that little engine! - and most importantly, it is bar none The LIGHTEST commercial trimmer I have used and I have used alot of different brands.

I bought mine from a dealer - not lesco but they sell them too - for 200$ out the door. I liked it so much I replaced my old hedge trimmer with a new Kawasaki unit and have been very happy with that too.

lawncare4u
10-27-2006, 07:25 PM

:weightlifter: -REDMAX-:weightlifter: