PDA

View Full Version : Grasshopper 120 ztr mower Buyer beware

tims lawncare
10-24-2006, 11:06 PM
Buyer beware. I purchased a brand new 41" Grasshopper 120 series ztr. From the very beginning I did not care for the performance in which it cut. The deck was consistantly becoming unlevel, and it is my opinion that the front casters are to close together. The deck tends to scalp especially on side hill cuts. This mower does not come standard with anti scalp rollers on deck. The briggs engine also is hard starting when started for the first time when there is alot of moisture in the air. After 190 hrs the right hydro pump went completly out. The dealer took almost 4 weeks to install new pump and get the bugs worked out. While the mower was being serviced I contacted Grasshopper to see if they would give me a partial refund. I am totally dissatisfied with the product. They treated me very rude and totally shot me down. Beware of Grasshopper products and the manufacturer.

I picked up the grasshopper mower yesterday. It has been at the dealer for 4 weeks. The dealer installed a brand new hydro pump. Ready for this. I started mowing the first yard with it and the brand new hydro pump went out. totally out. I have notified Grasshopper again. They will not even return my calls. I spoke to the receptionist 3 times today. She will not give me any phone numbers to contact a manager. All she said she could do is contact Mike Brown and he would call me back. I called her three times she told me Mike had been notified. He never called me. I asked the receptionist for her name. She said "I don not have to give you my name" Its kind of like the mafia, You dont need to know my name, you dont contact us we contact you. I will be contacting the owner Mr. Stan Guyer. I have exausted all my resources. Its time to go to the top.

KrayzKajun
10-24-2006, 11:15 PM
that sucks!! Hope everything works out!

Jason Rose
10-24-2006, 11:34 PM
Well since we are just copy and pasting from one lawn mowing forum to the next, here was my post, again, lol.

Sounds like you got a LEMON for sure. That model is totally new for G-hopper and I assume that since it's so much smaller than anything else they build its all different parts and hydros, ect.

4 weeks to replace a Hydro is nuts. That should have been overnighted from the plant and installed the next day for a machine that's under warranty. Sounds like you have a LEMON for a dealer as well.

Grasshopper really DOES make some awesome machines that are very long life and very reliable. I think bashing them over a bad experience with a "homeowner" scaled down machine is a little uncalled for honestly... Like any manufacturer they are going to do everything they can to make it work they way you like before even thinking about a buyback. If the dealer can't ever get it to work properly then IMO it SHOULD be bought back or they should offer you a new one.

tims lawncare
10-25-2006, 11:38 AM
Nowhere on the web sight does it claim to be a home owner machine. It does not claim to be a residential machine. This is right off their sight. Grasshopper 100 Series mowers combine economy with smooth handling and commercial performance. Ideal for small yards with narrow access, these small True ZeroTurn™ mowers take Grasshopper performance through the gate for a beautiful cut all around the house. Since 1970, Grasshopper mowers have become legendary for their comfort, performance and durability, and now there is a Grasshopper for smaller lots.

• Small frame, entry-level equipment with Grasshopper comfort, performance and durable construction

• The maneuverability of a walk-behind without the fatigue

• Same deck converts from side discharge to optional DownDischarge™ mulching or PowerVac™ Collection

• Built with the same robotically welded steel construction as the larger models

Reliable, economical performance also features...

tims lawncare
10-25-2006, 04:40 PM
Grasshopper is working with me now to upgrade to a better machine. Just some confusion and impatience on my part. Sorry Grasshopper!

lakeguy
10-26-2006, 08:19 PM
Hi,

new here too. took over my dad's biz and all he has is grasshoppers. I've ran one all this season with no prob. what was up with your mower according to grasshopper?

Grass Man
10-26-2006, 11:00 PM
.... By chance has GRASSHOPPER changed HANDS?

Thanks
:rolleyes:

Buyer beware. I purchased a brand new 41" Grasshopper 120 series ztr. From the very beginning I did not care for the performance in which it cut. The deck was consistantly becoming unlevel, and it is my opinion that the front casters are to close together. The deck tends to scalp especially on side hill cuts. This mower does not come standard with anti scalp rollers on deck. The briggs engine also is hard starting when started for the first time when there is alot of moisture in the air. After 190 hrs the right hydro pump went completly out. The dealer took almost 4 weeks to install new pump and get the bugs worked out. While the mower was being serviced I contacted Grasshopper to see if they would give me a partial refund. I am totally dissatisfied with the product. They treated me very rude and totally shot me down. Beware of Grasshopper products and the manufacturer.

I picked up the grasshopper mower yesterday. It has been at the dealer for 4 weeks. The dealer installed a brand new hydro pump. Ready for this. I started mowing the first yard with it and the brand new hydro pump went out. totally out. I have notified Grasshopper again. They will not even return my calls. I spoke to the receptionist 3 times today. She will not give me any phone numbers to contact a manager. All she said she could do is contact Mike Brown and he would call me back. I called her three times she told me Mike had been notified. He never called me. I asked the receptionist for her name. She said "I don not have to give you my name" Its kind of like the mafia, You dont need to know my name, you dont contact us we contact you. I will be contacting the owner Mr. Stan Guyer. I have exausted all my resources. Its time to go to the top.

Jason Rose
10-26-2006, 11:20 PM
.... By chance has GRASSHOPPER changed HANDS?

Thanks
:rolleyes:

Grasshopper??? not at all.

You mat be thinking Dixon that was also built in Kansas that was bought out by Husqvarna.

tims lawncare
10-27-2006, 01:36 PM
Hi,

new here too. took over my dad's biz and all he has is grasshoppers. I've ran one all this season with no prob. what was up with your mower according to grasshopper?
Somthing was clogging one of the hydro pump lines. The dealer thought is was the pump but it was actually a blockage in the line.

Grass Man
10-27-2006, 02:09 PM
.... It would be nice to know what that blockage was (or how in a new mower) or was it a kinked line?

Somthing was clogging one of the hydro pump lines. The dealer thought is was the pump but it was actually a blockage in the line.

jdlen
11-16-2006, 09:05 AM
Glad it's working out for you Tim. Yeah, 4 weeks to do anything is unacceptable in todays world.
I sell GH as well as JD and of course there's been some breakage, but response time should be 48 hours or less even on major breaks. A day to take it apart and order what you don't have and a day to receive it and put it back together! that's worst case.
I haven't heard a peep about the 120's I've sold other than grins! Glad GH is working it out for ya. My first one out of the crate though, didn't get the rops (roll bar) but did get a extra gas cap!

BTW, if they're talking about upgrading you, look at the new 620, this thing is a machine you have to drive! brand new transmission system, it's direct drive on the engine, super sweet feel and speed! It replaces the 618 (which is a dog) . night and day!

tims lawncare
11-16-2006, 09:35 AM
Grasshopper gave me $4000.00 for my 120 tword another mower. I decided on the 218. I just do residential mowing here in Pensacola. That is why the 120 was so attractive to me. I hope the 218 works out. Do you have any suggestians as to up keep and how to get the most out of this mower, thanks tim

jdlen
11-16-2006, 10:54 AM
Grasshopper gave me $4000.00 for my 120 tword another mower. I decided on the 218. I just do residential mowing here in Pensacola. That is why the 120 was so attractive to me. I hope the 218 works out. Do you have any suggestians as to up keep and how to get the most out of this mower, thanks tim

That's easy! grease what needs grease! clean air filters! and change oil frequently!
I know guys who are changing oil every couple days, they get it down to a science and make it super easy. Oil is CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP compared to an engine.
I even know of one freak who changes oil every 10 hours (daily) had one of his engine apart for a leaky seal, 6000 hours, looked like a new motor on the inside. If you had been there and seen what I saw, you'ld be a believer.
The tranny on the other hand.... GH hydro oil is super expensive. Most guys go by reccomendation on that.

That 218 will make you a good midmount!

MunroeServices
12-27-2006, 05:48 PM
I have the 100 series with the 41" deck and Briggs 20 ELS and so far (20 hours) it has been great.

Judge
04-07-2007, 01:35 AM
For use as a residential mower of a acre minus house footprint, do you guys think the GH 120-K 48 model would be a good unit?
I'm willing to spend about what this unit costs but want something reliable that will last for a long time.

mowingismylife
09-06-2007, 10:05 PM
hey just wondering if anyone else has got or tried out the 100 series GH. I am planning on buying one. Demo, 5hrs on it, $4,100

jpiwowar
10-19-2007, 08:09 AM
The 100 series is a great machine for that size. The other machines that are in that size range have plastic on them, stamped decks, and no commercial warranty. 4 weeks is outrageous to fix anything on a GH machine! Mechanical stuff sometimes breaks at no fault of the owner, and that's what the warranty is for. In that instance, the dealer is "supposed" to step up and help you out.

John Gamba
10-19-2007, 02:41 PM
The 100 series is a great machine for that size. The other machines that are in that size range have plastic on them, stamped decks, and no commercial warranty. 4 weeks is outrageous to fix anything on a GH machine! Mechanical stuff sometimes breaks at no fault of the owner, and that's what the warranty is for. In that instance, the dealer is "supposed" to step up and help you out.

Whats the 120 48" going for??

jpiwowar
10-20-2007, 09:19 AM
I see 'em for about $5k. If you can go with a bigger deck, the 124/52 is a better buy at $5200. The 52" deck sticks out past the tires more on the left side of the machine. This gives you better trimming.

jdlen
10-20-2007, 11:41 AM
One of my good customers, a Prof mower has bought 4 different brands *in one year* of "mini" mid-mts and finally sucked it up and spent some real money on a 120 series from me. after a couple weeks he came in and said I should just kick his a$$ for waiting so long. he loves his and he now has a real commercial grade mower in a mini size! no they aren't cheap. Ask yourself this, when was the last time you bought something that was cheap that turned out to be more than what you paid for?

John Gamba
10-21-2007, 03:56 PM
One of my good customers, a Prof mower has bought 4 different brands *in one year* of "mini" mid-mts and finally sucked it up and spent some real money on a 120 series from me. after a couple weeks he came in and said I should just kick his a$$ for waiting so long. he loves his and he now has a real commercial grade mower in a mini size! no they aren't cheap. Ask yourself this, when was the last time you bought something that was cheap that turned out to be more than what you paid for?

It looks good. i'll see if i can see one in person.Does anybody know if they deepened the 48" on the front mount?? or are they still 4.5" deep like on the 100.

jpiwowar
10-21-2007, 04:48 PM
Still 4.5. Probably a weight issue.

John Gamba
10-21-2007, 04:57 PM
Still 4.5. Probably a weight issue.

I like the new 600. i just wish they would go with at least a 23hp engine so you can run the deeper 52" deck.