PDA

View Full Version : direct mail

smarino21
10-25-2006, 12:53 AM
has any one use direct mail looking to pic up lawn accounts, prices i found were as follows .16cents per piece through .25 mailed and printed?

BMFL79
10-25-2006, 01:26 AM
I get 90% of my customers from direct mailings. I send them to target groups, mostly in neighborhoods where I am already working. So far the cost of mailings has paid off. I know many people walk around and put out flyers on mailboxes or door knobs, but I would rather spend the little time I have not working with my wife and daughter. I had good luck with my spring mailer, then only did two through the summer. I got busy in a hurry.

smarino21
10-25-2006, 01:32 AM
how many do you put out? You can ask what subdivisons you want and everything ? i know you can go by zip codes up each sub:?

BMFL79
10-25-2006, 01:46 AM
I'm sorry, were you talking about having a company send them out for you? I send them out myself. I get the addresses from the web and put flyers and magnets in and send them out. I know that there are ways to do bulk mailings, but I have had several of my customers say that they liked my mailing. I had a guy call me two weeks ago to do a landscaping job. He got my mailer in April and stuck the magnet on the fridge. The profit I made on the job was double the cost of sending out the 500 or so letters in the spring.

Plus, it gives me something to do in the winter. Stuffing envelopes and sticking business cards on magnets. When it is time to send them out I just stick an address label and a stamp and send them out.

I thought about designing a postcard or whatever size card and having a company send them out, but they just blanket a zip code or something. I like to target the customers more directly. I know that I get all kinds of flyers from services I don't need. There is a painting company I am thinking of in particular. We get a flyer from them at least once a month. What makes them stand out is that two years ago they did a quote for us, and they still send them, because they don't know who they are sending them to. So we have gotten at least 24 flyers from them. They are nice flyers, glossy on one side, black and white on the other. Gotta cost at least 16 cents a piece. That's almost 4 bucks spent just on us. There are over 500 homes in my neighborhood. The cost adds up quickly.

So to sum up that story, I say direct mailings are the way to go. Just try to target the customers that are most likely to pay for your services.

Side note, I have never gotten a flyer from Brickman.

Primecut
10-25-2006, 08:31 PM
I'm sorry, were you talking about having a company send them out for you? I send them out myself. I get the addresses from the web and put flyers and magnets in and send them out. I know that there are ways to do bulk mailings, but I have had several of my customers say that they liked my mailing. I had a guy call me two weeks ago to do a landscaping job. He got my mailer in April and stuck the magnet on the fridge. The profit I made on the job was double the cost of sending out the 500 or so letters in the spring.

Plus, it gives me something to do in the winter. Stuffing envelopes and sticking business cards on magnets. When it is time to send them out I just stick an address label and a stamp and send them out.

I thought about designing a postcard or whatever size card and having a company send them out, but they just blanket a zip code or something. I like to target the customers more directly. I know that I get all kinds of flyers from services I don't need. There is a painting company I am thinking of in particular. We get a flyer from them at least once a month. What makes them stand out is that two years ago they did a quote for us, and they still send them, because they don't know who they are sending them to. So we have gotten at least 24 flyers from them. They are nice flyers, glossy on one side, black and white on the other. Gotta cost at least 16 cents a piece. That's almost 4 bucks spent just on us. There are over 500 homes in my neighborhood. The cost adds up quickly.

So to sum up that story, I say direct mailings are the way to go. Just try to target the customers that are most likely to pay for your services.

Side note, I have never gotten a flyer from Brickman.

Good info. When you say you get the addresses off the web, does that mean you purchase them from a company? Do you print the flyers out yourself? Just curious as to your strategies. Thanks.