PDA

View Full Version : Is my business name hindering it's sucess?

WildWest
10-25-2006, 01:12 AM
Ladies and gentlemen,

A Kick In the Grass Lawn & Landscape Maintenance

Do you think that people will look a this name and think "unproffesionalism"?

I have mixed thoughts about it. My wife says that's it's catchy, cute and memororable! I think the same thing, I really have fun with the name. I've had alot of comments by people (mostly women) on how cute/funyy/cool the name is, but I just feel that it's not proffesional enough and I feel that my business may be suffering for it.

What do you guys/gals think?

smarino21
10-25-2006, 01:29 AM
a freind of mine has a catchy name and he does ok with it , picking up accunts.,

punk_rockin2001
10-25-2006, 01:43 AM
I doubt its hurting your name very much. I thought the slogan "Best Mow Jobs in Town" was pretty hilarious, but it hasn't made it off the drawing board yet. Although all my friends said they would definately advertise by wearing shirts that said that. Ha ha, I think I'll stick w/flyering!

ECS
10-25-2006, 02:22 AM
Name of a window washing company here is Kiss My Glass and he very well.

Sandgropher
10-25-2006, 02:57 AM
Its a name people will remember as it will stick in there minds, you are on a winner with that name i think :)

rodfather
10-25-2006, 06:54 AM
Personally, I like it :laugh:

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
10-25-2006, 07:42 AM
I think that it is catchy. A huge key in marketing is just that. Leaving the consumer something that they will remember. The "Hook" is what they remember and that draws them in.

The only downside that I see to your name is how long it is. It will be challenging to put that on all advertisment pieces(truck lettering, biz cards, mailers, etc.).

Very catchy though.:)

WJW Lawn
10-25-2006, 07:55 AM
I think it's good. I really dont see the name running anyone off...but thats just me, and Im pretty laid back.

HOOLIE
10-25-2006, 08:04 AM
No...I'm sure the name helps if nothing else...a lot of successful companies have catchy names.

6'7 330
10-25-2006, 08:20 AM
Defiantly should work when dealing with the masses of consumers.I'm not so sure it would work if you're target is the two per center market.But definitely a catchy name, that would stick in the consumers mind in the mass consumer market.

whtrash73
10-25-2006, 11:30 AM
if business is good keep it.if bad change it..we got a local lco called Hauling Grass!!!

ztrguy
10-25-2006, 11:58 AM
It depends what type of customers you want your business to attract. Your potential upscale commercial customers probably would find it very unprofessional. But if you're just doing this business on the side, it would probably work ok. Then it depends on your location. You would have better luck in a bigger city with that name. Around here that name wouldn't fly at all. People would turn their head and laugh. Just depends on your area and you know it better than we do.

Dunn's
10-25-2006, 01:14 PM
We have noticed in our area. That all the bigger lawn services are named after the person name. All the ones that go to the trouble and design catchy names come and go. especially the ones that name themselves things like. ABC or AAA just to get their name at the frone of the phone book. In case the slightly older generation hasn't noticed phone books are starting to be good door stops but that is about it. They take to long to update so if your a newer business you pay for an ad space that won't be out till next year. and they want upwards of $65.00 DOLLARS A MONTH.

Runner
10-25-2006, 01:19 PM
I knew a guy that had athe name of "Up Your Grass"....It was not well accepted.

TurfProSTL
10-25-2006, 01:27 PM
To be honest, the name doesn't exude professionalism to me. More like 'part-timer' or someone who isn't taking the business seriously.

But, that's me. And I'm old and grumpy.....

martinfan06
10-25-2006, 01:31 PM
Personal thought I dont like it. If I had 2 bids in front of me 1 with your company name and 1 with a professional name,nothing else name and bid. I think 75% of people would pick professional name with same $$ bid JMO.

mslawn
10-25-2006, 02:52 PM
To be honest NO, that is a name that sounds as if it were made up by a teenager. Upscale clients will find it very unprofessional. Even I would not hire a company with that name.

dvmcmrhp52
10-25-2006, 03:10 PM
I don't believe a business name means all that much unless it is repulsive, quality, reliability and market pricing are the key along with excellent customer service.

prizeprop
10-25-2006, 03:37 PM
I would probably change it.Why take a chance that it might be offensive,unproffesional and silly.Plus makes no sense exept for the word grass.But if you do amazing work people will hire you no matter what.Just constructive critism and what I would weigh as the minuses of the name if I were in your shoes.

DFW Area Landscaper
10-25-2006, 04:22 PM
Ever heard of Bad Ass Coffee Company? Very successful company in Hawaii.

fcg
10-25-2006, 04:33 PM
It's all in how you market it once your face to face with the client. Our name is First Class Grass and I think I've heard them all. Work the joke. I find it's a way into your clients thoughts. I know that we have gotten calls because of it. And it helps make this business fun. By the way we also put Smile you're in Montana now and we get gobbs of calls because of the grammer. The bottom line is we get they remember what they saw on the road.

Jim
FCG pres.*trucewhiteflag*

Kate Butler
10-25-2006, 04:37 PM
I would probably change it.Why take a chance that it might be offensive,unproffesional and silly.Plus makes no sense exept for the word grass.But if you do amazing work people will hire you no matter what.Just constructive critism and what I would weigh as the minuses of the name if I were in your shoes.

What he said!!

grass disaster
10-25-2006, 04:48 PM
that name is too long

grass kickn lawn & landsacpe

is way better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

lawncuttinfoo
10-25-2006, 05:04 PM
"weed-man" is probably more unprofessional than anything listed here so far (it was started in the 70's no less)

3 countrys ( countrys not counties) and still growing. And I for sure see them servicing plenty of richies.

It's not the name that makes or breaks a business, it's how it's run.

sweatyclippingcoveredguy
10-25-2006, 06:01 PM
I've seen a company around here with the slogan on the back of the truck...

"Grass... some people cut it, some people smoke it".

That's hilarious, but like your name it might turn a few people off.

tacoma200
10-25-2006, 06:19 PM
I always liked "Mo Better Lawn Care". Went over great in the inner city.

walker/redmax
10-25-2006, 06:33 PM
To be honest NO, that is a name that sounds as if it were made up by a teenager. Upscale clients will find it very unprofessional. Even I would not hire a company with that name.
Both of the statements strike me as very stereotypical and I totally disagree. Something like "Best mojobs in town" is a little iffy but "Grass kickin lawn care" is pretty funny. Anybody that cannot see the humor in a title like that I would not want as my customer. I wish I had thought of it first.:laugh:

traman
10-25-2006, 08:11 PM
i would just use your online name WILDWEST LAWN & LANDSCAPE
"WE CAN TAME ANY LAWN " just my 2 cents