PDA

View Full Version : Decided to go with the Redmax EBZ8001's

Envy Lawn Service
10-25-2006, 01:28 AM
As some of you knew, I wasn't even sure I was going to buy more stuff this year or not. And even if I did decide to, I was very torn about which way I wanted to go this time.

But anyways, to save myself some typing, here is what I posted in the other thread.

I decided the 8001's was the route I wanted to go this time. So I had to use some of my 'pull' with the local dealers to get what I wanted and get it here.

When they got here I was really impressed, which is saying a lot from me about RedMax blowers. Tuesday was my first day out in the field. So I'll try to start a thread now and update as I go along.

But as it pertains to this thread... to me, the 8001 is a HUGE improvement over the 8000 as far as a finished product.

It looks much the same, but as LandscapeSupplyOnline said, they do have a brand new much nicer frame, new choke setup, new lumbar support waist belt and a few other changes. They are a lot less 'cheeze" and a lot more 'geeze"! Much better fit and finish all the way around. No more big dollar blower with big power that just looks "cheap knockoff-ish".

Oh and the $489 ebay price is a SERIOUS STEAL if you are an online buyer type.

To sum up, I NEVER DREAMED I'd ever buy any RedMax blowers.
These are just that much nicer in my opinion, which is saying a lot I think.

Like I said though, I'm just out of the starting gate right now though.
So I'll try to update this as I go along.

If you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them as best I can this early on.

jameson
10-25-2006, 02:09 AM
We have had a couple of issues with one of our 8k's (all fixed under warranty -frame and new short block), they certainly make quick work out of large estates and commercial complexes. On some properties where 2 guys would strap on 7k's, one guy with a 8k can inflict just as much damage - they really shine during this time of the year - especially on wet pavement.

One important factor is that my dealer and Redmax have always given me prompt and hassle free service when dealing with warranty issues.

My dealer has yet to stock any 8001's - so I'll have to wait a wee bit longer to compare.

Envy Lawn Service
10-25-2006, 02:37 AM
Jameson,

I think you are going to want to cycle some stuff around and get all 8001's for the big work.

The reason I say that is, I didn't think much of the 7000/7001 when they came out. When the 8000's first came out I said no way NEVER. But when I forced myself to give the 2006 model RedMax blowers a fair shake this year, I liked them a bit better, but wasn't crazy over either.

So I was looking at those two instead of Echo and Stihl again and considering them sorta "by default" ya know? I didn't want to have too many 4-Mix Stihl engines just yet, and I didn't have the greatest confidence in the newer Echo's. And I had soooo much input about how much stronger the RedMax units were....

But when it came right down to how they felt... all other things aside, my opinion was that the Stihl BR600 was a better 20 lb class blower than the 7001, and likewise my opinion was the Echo PB-751 was a better lighter 25 lb class blower.

But after pulling some strings and getting an 8001 in my hands and on my back, NO QUESTION I LIKE THIS ONE THAT MUCH BETTER and for that I was willing to gamble on them.

lawnguyland
10-25-2006, 06:57 AM
I was all Echo for a long time. The PB 650 wasn't bad at all, but the Redmax 8001 makes my life easier.

My favorite blower is the 8001 for clean-ups.

However, for weekly maintenance my choice is Husqy 456 because it's lighter, quieter and more comfortable.

Just my useless 2 cents

2menandamower
10-25-2006, 02:44 PM
I have a Remax 5000 and I like it. It has enough power ofr most of my jobs. I just bought a new Tanaka 7800R and it is a BEAST>>> It has more power than I think could ask for. I don't know that I need any more that is for sure. For the dollars I think the Tanaka is a good value and it has a 2 year commercial warranty just like the Redmax does. Gotta love it.

matt spinniken
10-25-2006, 03:37 PM
i got an 8001 from ebay 489.00 shipped and to my house the next day. I love it, i cant compare it to the 8000 though because ive never tried one, but im thinking about ordering another 8001 this fall.

MTR
10-25-2006, 06:44 PM
Redmax is king of BP blowers. period. I know how powerful 8000 is , but I am very satisfied with 7001, right on the dot for the money. excellent blower.

lawnguyland
10-25-2006, 07:33 PM
Well Thanks A LOT Envy.

Because of this thread I decided to buy an 8001 today because I realized how much it would blow (pun) if the 8000 I have craps out for whatever reason. Must have Noah's Ark. Two of everything for one guy. I can't imagine doing leaves with anything smaller now so I just ordered a new one. Oh well, tax write off! Good luck with your new toy!

grass_cuttin_fool
10-25-2006, 09:01 PM
I want to see how the 8001 holds up, I just got a 7001 last week and Im very impressed with it. If the 8001 gets good reports I may have to try and get one before the husky deal goes through

wayne

greengiant9963
10-25-2006, 10:08 PM
Hey Envy,

How would you match the blowing power of the 8001 to the BR600. I have had the BR600 for over a year now and very happy with it. It was the first and only Backpack Blower I have ever used. Has a ton of power but with small parking lots and moving wet leaves how much more power would you say the 8001 has over the BR600. Looking to get another BP Blower next season and was going to get another stihl but now thinking of Redmax. Any info you could give me would be helpful. Thanks.

Envy Lawn Service
10-26-2006, 12:56 AM
I was all Echo for a long time. The PB 650 wasn't bad at all, but the Redmax 8001 makes my life easier.

My favorite blower is the 8001 for clean-ups.

However, for weekly maintenance my choice is Husqy 456 because it's lighter, quieter and more comfortable.

Just my useless 2 cents

Well, I still like the Echos and they do OK for me. Like the feel, like the backrest, shoulder straps, really like the tubes and the tube nozzle accessories. But I won't lie, there was a lot of "nursing them along" after they started to age. Sometimes I didn't mind the tinkering. Other times it got the best of my patients. That and the fact I had even less faith in the newer Echos...

But yes, this 8001 is NOT your every little stop type blower.
Takes too long to get saddled up for that and it's overkill.

In fact, I'm not much on backpacks for every stop use to start with.
The old Stihl BG85's and Echo 200's-230's are my old favorites for that.
Lots of places I'm done with them quicker than I could get going with the 8001.

I have a Remax 5000 and I like it. It has enough power ofr most of my jobs. I just bought a new Tanaka 7800R and it is a BEAST>>> It has more power than I think could ask for. I don't know that I need any more that is for sure. For the dollars I think the Tanaka is a good value and it has a 2 year commercial warranty just like the Redmax does. Gotta love it.

Well some others will tell you I really thought about the 5000's too.
I still sorta wish I had gotten one of those to try too.
Mostly for the super fuel economy and nice power-to-weight ratio.
Nobody here stocks them though.
I think is because the distributor doesn't get them much or push them at all.

The Kawasaki/Tanaka/Maruyama/Cub Commercial blowers seemed nice to me too. But Cub doesn't get the bigger ones and the rest are not really represented here. But given my experience with Lesco, I was really leaning toward the same blower you have... but from Lesco in Kawasaki trim... and the $399 price was extremely tempting also. If they had kept the previous Maruyama BL6900HP style airbox, I think I would have been more motivated to drive 160 miles round trip and pray I liked them when I got there.

If your Tanaka is as strong as they say... boy it probably in the Stihl BR600 level power to weight class and still true two cycle. I think you made a good choice.

What to you make of the variation in power ratings among companies on the same blower?

Tanaka 850 cfm 205 mph
Maruyama 720 cfm 200 mph
Lesco Kawasaki 815 cfm 200 mph
Kawasaki 800 cfm 200 mph

i got an 8001 from ebay 489.00 shipped and to my house the next day. I love it, i cant compare it to the 8000 though because ive never tried one, but im thinking about ordering another 8001 this fall.

That's a GREAT DEAL.

I doubt there is much difference in power between the 8000 and 8001. The updated design probably allows it to get more air in the housing is about all.

Where it is better is all the updates. It isn't so cheap made anymore and is the commercial grade you expect at this price point. Plus it is a LOT more comfortable.

I don't think RedMax intended to make the 8000 cheap. I think they just rushed it to market once they achieved the power level. But I feel they have done an admirable job of addressing getting the bugs worked out.

Redmax is king of BP blowers. period. I know how powerful 8000 is , but I am very satisfied with 7001, right on the dot for the money. excellent blower.
I want to see how the 8001 holds up, I just got a 7001 last week and Im very impressed with it. If the 8001 gets good reports I may have to try and get one before the husky deal goes through

wayne

MTR & Wayne,

The 7001 is priced much better. I bet it has good power too, and it was hard for me in a way not to go that route because they are battle scarred and proven now. It's also much lighter too.

I'm just a taller guy and didn't find it as comfortable ergonomically. The only place I can feel the weight difference between the two is the bottoms of my feet. Being taller with steep boxer/puncher shoulders like I have, the 7001 wasn't as comfortable. The bottom of it rides me in the upper lumbar area of the back, and as far out as it sticks off the back, it wanted to lean out off my back. I felt the same way about it the last time I considered it verses the Echo PB 751.

I bet it's better for most though. The 8001 is a better fit for me as it is 20" tall or so and has a real nice lumbar backpad, and a nicely upgraded padded lumbar/waist belt too.

I worry about the 7001's fate though, because at that weight class, if the BR600 ever gets battle proven to the same level it's going to hurt 7001 sales worse.

Well Thanks A LOT Envy.

Because of this thread I decided to buy an 8001 today because I realized how much it would blow (pun) if the 8000 I have craps out for whatever reason. Must have Noah's Ark. Two of everything for one guy. I can't imagine doing leaves with anything smaller now so I just ordered a new one. Oh well, tax write off! Good luck with your new toy!

Sorry to provoke you to spend money... LOL.

I bet your 8000 goes into backup status out of the two when the 8001 breaks in.

Hey Envy,

How would you match the blowing power of the 8001 to the BR600. I have had the BR600 for over a year now and very happy with it. It was the first and only Backpack Blower I have ever used. Has a ton of power but with small parking lots and moving wet leaves how much more power would you say the 8001 has over the BR600. Looking to get another BP Blower next season and was going to get another stihl but now thinking of Redmax. Any info you could give me would be helpful. Thanks.

It's too early to ask me that yet. As of right now I'm not blown away amazed with the power.Bit I say that knowing this 8001's are going to boost up a lot more after being broken in well. And I also have not used it on any extreme level jobs like it's designed for.

But even at the end of leaf season, I'm still not sure I'll be able to judge which direction to point you. This is because I'm honest and I don't try to blow any piece of equipment way out of proportion like some guys that only will use one brand and can't really say.

I can tell you right now though... the BR600 and EBZ8001 are worlds apart from one another when you put the power issue aside. The BR600 is more like a fast compact lightweight sports car, where as the EBZ 8001 is more like a 60's muscle car.

The BR600 is high performance, light weight and compact. The EBZ 8000 is a big brute. They are not really in the same class there and they'll probably be farther apart in that respect by far I'd guess than they will be in performance.

Also, no matter what, they way both blowers make and transmit power is also going to be much different in style. That seems to be the power difference I can see so far, and that's also why I think I'm being fooled about how much grunt this 8001 has until I get on a tough job.

What I mean is, I am accustomed to having this power level, but I'm also extremely accustomed to having the power in a much more pinpoint air stream too. The handhelds being the most pinpoint with the duckbill nozzles, the BR600 next with it's bullet tip, and then the 751 which with the curved tip accessory puts the air stream closer to the ground and makes it run more parallel with the ground like a duckbill... which creates a lot of lift.

On the other hand, this 8001 is like running those with the tips off. I'm having trouble controlling my blowing pattern with it, even at low throttle. So I think I'm fooled still by the fact it doesn't seem to have any extreme amount more power in concentrated pattern. I notice it blows I a WAY WIDER swath.

paponte
10-26-2006, 08:34 AM
Has anyone run Shindaiwa blowers and compar them to the Redmax? I use all Shindaiwa now, but there are some things that ALWAYS happen to them. Such as the shut off wires coming loose, and the arms breaking at the swivel. Any consistant problems with the redmax? Thanks. :)

zeroturner
10-26-2006, 09:27 AM
I run Shindaiwa 8510s and so far they have been great. I have ran all Echo blowers for years but this year I decided to add some bigger blowers for cleanups. My dealer carries Echo, Remax, and Shindaiwa. After trying out the blowers I decided to go with the 8510s because I felt that it was a better made piece of equipment than the 8000s. Hopefully Redmax has fixed this with the 8001.

PLS-Tx
10-26-2006, 10:03 AM
How does the 8001 compare to the Shindy 8510, as far as weight and power?

Tobe Lawn Care
10-26-2006, 05:51 PM
It depends on who has to wear it. We bought 2 8000's last fall just for leaves. They do work awesome. However, I employ my retired father as well as my wife and they LOVE the new BR600. I have ran both back to back and I don't think there is a power difference. But the weight difference is huge. My vote is for the 600.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
10-27-2006, 05:15 AM
First time I've posted in a while.

I just bought one of the EBZ8001's off ebay. They are offering free shipping, insurance, and a 6 pack of oil for $489. And if anybody is familiar with Travis or Curtis from a former sponsor of this site, that is who is selling them.

Envy, if you don't mind me asking, what did you pay at your dealer for yours?

Envy Lawn Service
10-27-2006, 10:48 PM
It depends on who has to wear it. We bought 2 8000's last fall just for leaves. They do work awesome. However, I employ my retired father as well as my wife and they LOVE the new BR600. I have ran both back to back and I don't think there is a power difference. But the weight difference is huge. My vote is for the 600.

Yep... depends on who is wearing any blower (no personal experience w/ 8510's). The 8000 is uncomfortable to me. The 8001 is not. Much better.

Compared to the BR600, the 8001 is still comfortable, just as the 751 is. But the 8001 is significantly heavier than the BR600, and WAY more bulky/big/in the way.... and so is the 751. But the weight carries well with both the 8001 and 751. With my bad back, if I don't have any issue... most should be fine with it. I don't think my wife would want to hump either though. But I think my comfort preference is leaning towards the 8001's over the 751.

The BR600 is really good once you get the adjustments dialed in (dual strap adjustments). But if it was as heavy as the 751 & 8001 it wouldn't be as comfortable to me. But it's NOT. It's a LOT LIGHTER, a LOT QUIETER, and a LOT TIGHTER to your body. I'm always having to be careful not to bump the 'other' blowers into things, and still do despite this.

Using a mower analogy, the BR600 is a Stander or trim mower and the 751 & 8001 are wide area batwings.

As for the power difference, sorry but I'm honest about my stuff. I'm not really seeing the power difference either. Not for most applications, not yet anyways. So unless they really boost up after a break-in period, that's the way I see it.

RIGHT NOW, of these three blowers, I still maintain the same opinion I had before buying RedMax.... I don't see a difference in 'power' really between them... but rather I see a difference in how they MAKE POWER and how they TRANSMIT power through the airstream.

I also think the way each person "percieves" power is different too. Some guys would just be falling all over themselves to feel the 8001 twist/rock on there back from the engine power when they hit the throttle. Some guys would feel the same when seeing the big air stream it produces. On the other hand, other people would be amazed by another blowers fast pinpoint air stream.

The only place I really see the brute force of this blower at work is when I'm blowing something that can really 'catch' the air stream. Like big wide leaves, or once I build up a huge pile of leaves. Then and only then (so far) am I really truely amazed by it.

ed2hess
10-28-2006, 07:52 PM
The thing about that BR600 that would still hang me up is you can't easily take off that end snout when you want to get into closed spaces. The low weight is a major factor if you are taking the unit on/off in/out of cages all day long. Have to still go with the BR420 until they get this snout removal fixed!

Envy Lawn Service
10-28-2006, 09:33 PM
The thing about that BR600 that would still hang me up is you can't easily take off that end snout when you want to get into closed spaces. The low weight is a major factor if you are taking the unit on/off in/out of cages all day long. Have to still go with the BR420 until they get this snout removal fixed!

You know... I haven't even tried removing the end tip of the 8001's while on my back yet. The dealer put some spray stuff of some kind on mine during assembly. It's not the best and the tip doesn't slide off real easy.

I still find the handhelds like the BG 85 or Echo 200 or 230 best for blowing out in tight places. Frankly it's hard to get in them with the 8001's because the stick out so far on your back. I guess that and the fact it blows like it has the end tube off already is why I haven't tried taking a tip off.

At this point I'm leaning more towards ordering the accessory tips to direct the air stream tighter and speed it up faster.

Envy Lawn Service
10-28-2006, 09:48 PM
I have a question for those of you that own an 8000 or 8001....

When sweeping the nozzle back and forth, does it seem to you like the tube elbow up at the housing is not allowed to swing far enough to the left?

There is a 'tab' on the blower that catches a 'stop' on the tube elbow and to me it seems that the elbow is not allowed to rotate around far enough for the tube to point dead ahead. This makes it hard to sweep the tube from just before dead ahead on to the left.

I find this annoying.

What would happen if I did away with this tab?

guven
10-28-2006, 10:24 PM
Well, I still like the Echos and they do OK for me. Like the feel, like the backrest, shoulder straps, really like the tubes and the tube nozzle accessories. But I won't lie, there was a lot of "nursing them along" after they started to age. Sometimes I didn't mind the tinkering. Other times it got the best of my patients. That and the fact I had even less faith in the newer Echos...

But yes, this 8001 is NOT your every little stop type blower.
Takes too long to get saddled up for that and it's overkill.

In fact, I'm not much on backpacks for every stop use to start with.
The old Stihl BG85's and Echo 200's-230's are my old favorites for that.
Lots of places I'm done with them quicker than I could get going with the 8001.

Well some others will tell you I really thought about the 5000's too.
I still sorta wish I had gotten one of those to try too.
Mostly for the super fuel economy and nice power-to-weight ratio.
Nobody here stocks them though.
I think is because the distributor doesn't get them much or push them at all.

The Kawasaki/Tanaka/Maruyama/Cub Commercial blowers seemed nice to me too. But Cub doesn't get the bigger ones and the rest are not really represented here. But given my experience with Lesco, I was really leaning toward the same blower you have... but from Lesco in Kawasaki trim... and the $399 price was extremely tempting also. If they had kept the previous Maruyama BL6900HP style airbox, I think I would have been more motivated to drive 160 miles round trip and pray I liked them when I got there.

If your Tanaka is as strong as they say... boy it probably in the Stihl BR600 level power to weight class and still true two cycle. I think you made a good choice.

What to you make of the variation in power ratings among companies on the same blower?

Tanaka 850 cfm 205 mph
Maruyama 720 cfm 200 mph
Lesco Kawasaki 815 cfm 200 mph
Kawasaki 800 cfm 200 mph

That's a GREAT DEAL.

I doubt there is much difference in power between the 8000 and 8001. The updated design probably allows it to get more air in the housing is about all.

Where it is better is all the updates. It isn't so cheap made anymore and is the commercial grade you expect at this price point. Plus it is a LOT more comfortable.

I don't think RedMax intended to make the 8000 cheap. I think they just rushed it to market once they achieved the power level. But I feel they have done an admirable job of addressing getting the bugs worked out.

MTR & Wayne,

The 7001 is priced much better. I bet it has good power too, and it was hard for me in a way not to go that route because they are battle scarred and proven now. It's also much lighter too.

I'm just a taller guy and didn't find it as comfortable ergonomically. The only place I can feel the weight difference between the two is the bottoms of my feet. Being taller with steep boxer/puncher shoulders like I have, the 7001 wasn't as comfortable. The bottom of it rides me in the upper lumbar area of the back, and as far out as it sticks off the back, it wanted to lean out off my back. I felt the same way about it the last time I considered it verses the Echo PB 751.

I bet it's better for most though. The 8001 is a better fit for me as it is 20" tall or so and has a real nice lumbar backpad, and a nicely upgraded padded lumbar/waist belt too.

I worry about the 7001's fate though, because at that weight class, if the BR600 ever gets battle proven to the same level it's going to hurt 7001 sales worse.

Sorry to provoke you to spend money... LOL.

I bet your 8000 goes into backup status out of the two when the 8001 breaks in.

It's too early to ask me that yet. As of right now I'm not blown away amazed with the power.Bit I say that knowing this 8001's are going to boost up a lot more after being broken in well. And I also have not used it on any extreme level jobs like it's designed for.

But even at the end of leaf season, I'm still not sure I'll be able to judge which direction to point you. This is because I'm honest and I don't try to blow any piece of equipment way out of proportion like some guys that only will use one brand and can't really say.

I can tell you right now though... the BR600 and EBZ8001 are worlds apart from one another when you put the power issue aside. The BR600 is more like a fast compact lightweight sports car, where as the EBZ 8001 is more like a 60's muscle car.

The BR600 is high performance, light weight and compact. The EBZ 8000 is a big brute. They are not really in the same class there and they'll probably be farther apart in that respect by far I'd guess than they will be in performance.

Also, no matter what, they way both blowers make and transmit power is also going to be much different in style. That seems to be the power difference I can see so far, and that's also why I think I'm being fooled about how much grunt this 8001 has until I get on a tough job.

What I mean is, I am accustomed to having this power level, but I'm also extremely accustomed to having the power in a much more pinpoint air stream too. The handhelds being the most pinpoint with the duckbill nozzles, the BR600 next with it's bullet tip, and then the 751 which with the curved tip accessory puts the air stream closer to the ground and makes it run more parallel with the ground like a duckbill... which creates a lot of lift.

On the other hand, this 8001 is like running those with the tips off. I'm having trouble controlling my blowing pattern with it, even at low throttle. So I think I'm fooled still by the fact it doesn't seem to have any extreme amount more power in concentrated pattern. I notice it blows I a WAY WIDER swath.
HI
You mean
the redmax8001 is much powerful than 8000?

Envy Lawn Service
10-28-2006, 10:47 PM
HI
You mean
the redmax8001 is much powerful than 8000?

Never owned an 8000... so I couldn't tell you.

Looking at the design of the air inlets and what have you I would guess it probably moves more air though. But that's an assumption.

Where the 8001 is head and shoulders above the 8000 is in materials, design, and build quality updates.... plus a lot better ergonomics and comfort as a result.

guven
10-28-2006, 10:52 PM

Looking at the design of the air inlets and what have you I would guess it probably moves more air though. But that's an assumption.

Where the 8001 is head and shoulders above the 8000 is in materials, design, and build quality updates.... plus a lot better ergonomics and comfort as a result.
Thank you, I was just wondering, how was the 8001.I got my answer
thanks
happy blowing

guven
10-28-2006, 10:56 PM

Sir
I just check the redmax's official web page , they have no 8001

Envy Lawn Service
10-28-2006, 11:12 PM
Sir

They are newer than RedMax's web site.

It took me a little doing to get mine.

Like I told John when he was saying he would call his dealer about them...

Well, I didn't mean it in a way to put him down or anything.
It's just that we usually know about new stuff a LOT sooner than they do.

Plus this case with the 8001's is a pretty extreme case of this because mine have manufactured dates of September 2006.

grass_cuttin_fool
10-28-2006, 11:13 PM
Sir

They seem to have only been manufacturing them for about 30 days, I think they are a lil slow updating the website

wayne

Envy Lawn Service
10-28-2006, 11:15 PM
Thank you, I was just wondering, how was the 8001.I got my answer
thanks
happy blowing

With the above all said...

My opinion is that you should wait until your dealer can get you an 8001 over the old 8000. The old 8000 is not comfortable and had a lot of little bug problems as most stuff does the first year out, especially when rushed out.

That's what the owners of them are saying anyways.