PDA

View Full Version : So how do you do this?

Willofalltrades
10-25-2006, 02:08 AM
How do you cut and take care of leaves when the machine you rely on the most can't go on the lawn. We have gotten a lot of rain and some snow the last two weeks. I normally just blow the leaves onto the grass and suck them up as I mow. Well my Walker is definatly to heavy to use on my yards because of the weather. Should I let it go and hopefully it will dry up enough in the next week to take care of them? I have some yards that haven't been touched for 2 weeks now and I'm stressing out about it. Its currently to wet to even use a Walk Behind. Its killing me because these yards look like crap. Any suggestions?

turfsolutions
10-25-2006, 10:03 AM
Same situation here. RedMax backpack blowers, rakes, tarps, and motrin. Have a nice fall.

Willofalltrades
10-25-2006, 12:29 PM
should I let the grass go?

mountain man
10-25-2006, 12:32 PM
Let the grass go. If it is too wet then you can't take a mower on the turf. Use the Red Max and tarp out the leaves.

stumper1620
10-25-2006, 02:05 PM
How do you cut and take care of leaves when the machine you rely on the most can't go on the lawn. We have gotten a lot of rain and some snow the last two weeks. I normally just blow the leaves onto the grass and suck them up as I mow. Well my Walker is definatly to heavy to use on my yards because of the weather. Should I let it go and hopefully it will dry up enough in the next week to take care of them? I have some yards that haven't been touched for 2 weeks now and I'm stressing out about it. Its currently to wet to even use a Walk Behind. Its killing me because these yards look like crap. Any suggestions?
I have had the same problem around here, dry and chilly today, better tomorrow, rain friday and then supposed to warm up (50s) for the better part of next week, I say hold off a day or 2 I'm going for it starting tomorrow.

olderthandirt
10-25-2006, 02:10 PM
Its way to early to start stressing about leaves. I bet there still plenty on the trees. Hold off till it warms up and drys out some, we have not even had Indian Summer yet.
Now if you still have not had a chance by Thanksgiving then start to stress

Willofalltrades
10-25-2006, 03:10 PM
But some of these properties haven't been touched for 2 weeks and I simply can't take a machine on them. The customers don't want to pay for me to come in and rake.

Willofalltrades
10-25-2006, 03:11 PM
Did I mention they look bad?

Billz
10-25-2006, 03:57 PM
believe me, a simple call to your customers explaining that you will mow as soon as the ground hardens up enough is all you need to do. No one wants a yard with giant muddy black ruts in it and they will understand. Now that might be a good time to upsell them on leaf cleanups, that way if they dont want to pay for it, they just wait.

pcarlson1911
10-25-2006, 04:00 PM
I have blown the leaves onto a hard surface such as the driveway or street once there, I mow over the top and the bagger picks them right up. Takes a bit longer, but I don't destroy as much turf!
pc

Willofalltrades
10-25-2006, 05:14 PM
pc, You haven't been cuutting have you? Im in Burton by the way.

HOOLIE
10-25-2006, 05:43 PM
But some of these properties haven't been touched for 2 weeks and I simply can't take a machine on them. The customers don't want to pay for me to come in and rake.

Well you can't control the weather...if it becomes an issue with any customer just explain the problem and that the other option is raking/tarping and that it might cost them more. Or else they can wait...

Mic_bug
10-25-2006, 06:57 PM
rake and tarp 'em.

turfsolutions
10-26-2006, 10:30 AM
Yo dude, I'll break it down for ya, RedMax blower to blow leaves from lawn, walkways, driveway, patio, and deck into piles on the lawn. You don't do the beds, you do them later when the leaves are mostly all off the trees. Then rake the large piles of Red Max blown leaves onto tarps(some use snow shovels and rake combo) , Pull tarp to street, dump tarp, go get another pile until all piles are gone. You and 1 man can do a 15,000 square foot lawn in no time. After a few days of windy weather you should be able to put your vac on a lot of lawns.

Charge customers accordingly. 40 per manhour absolute minimum.

Go to bank, deposit checks from customers.

Willofalltrades
10-26-2006, 12:26 PM
Called customer yesterday, Thanks turfsolutions, I don't have curbside pickup around me. I have to haul them away. When I use the mower it reduces the volume and I can haul more. Todays the second day it hasn't rained in about a week and a half so I think I'll get the Walkbehind out.

pcarlson1911
10-26-2006, 12:57 PM
Willofalltrades -

The weather sure is nice today!

I have only been able to cut a couple of accounts as it has been WET! I'm going to get in another account today, but I will probably do the whole thing with my WB as the Z would probably shred the turf. We will see.

I glad to have found someone on here so close. I am new to ohio, and am just getting the business off the ground. Let me know if you need any help with clean ups. I would be willing to sub to you if needed. I am insured etc.

WALKER LANDSCAPE
10-26-2006, 01:28 PM
What part of OHIO are you from north south east west? We are south west ohio.

Elite Lawn Care
10-26-2006, 03:55 PM
This is a great time to do aerate the lawns. I do it with the leaves and all on the ground, and when it dries up a bit mow and get the leaves, I mulch'm up first then bag'm, the plugs and the leaves work as a nice topcoat (that is the ones that don't get picked up) the aerator seems to fluff up the leaves as it passes over and allows them and the ground to dry up a bit. With the ground soppy wet most aeretors work well and help it to dry out.

logan
10-26-2006, 07:10 PM
blow them into the street and then drive your trailer and truck over them as fast as you can. That way they will be in someone else's yard and down the raod a bit.:cool2:

Branchland
10-26-2006, 09:17 PM
Either let the grass go or use other equipment. I hate it when I have to but I use the small equipment in some cases if that's all I have that will work, or work the best. As long as the job gets done and it makes the customer happy.

Willofalltrades
10-26-2006, 09:44 PM
blow them into the street and then drive your trailer and truck over them as fast as you can. That way they will be in someone else's yard and down the raod a bit.:cool2:

hmm... Tempting