PDA

View Full Version : Women as Owners

JHLawns
10-25-2006, 08:11 AM
I have heard about alot of companies owned by the wives. Could someone tell me the advantages to the business to do this. I thought there used to be some tax breaks or something if the business was owned by a woman but I can't seem to find any information.

Thanks

Total.Lawn.Care
10-25-2006, 08:21 AM
I have heard about alot of companies owned by the wives. Could someone tell me the advantages to the business to do this. I thought there used to be some tax breaks or something if the business was owned by a woman but I can't seem to find any information.

Thanks
I do not know about tax breaks, but I know that the City of Savannah gives business preference to minority business owners, and that includes women. I may actually change my business license when it is renewed next year and list my wife as the owner of my business.

JHLawns
10-25-2006, 08:56 AM
Yes, so far the only thing I have found was preference in government contracts. Not sure I even want to deal with that though.

Kate Butler
10-25-2006, 04:00 PM
There are both Federal and state programs for Minority Owned Businesses. Google it. It isn't just for women-owned, but also other minorities (ethnic, disables, etc..).

Some of we women who actually DO THE WORK resent those businesses who "work the system" by putting a woman in as a figurehead owner. I know of multiple construction firms whose ONLY woman on the books is the "owner". Guess who does all the REAL work? Did you guess the husband and a bunch of other guys?

rodfather
10-25-2006, 04:20 PM
I agree with Kate...I bet the majority are nothing more than figureheads to get Fed and State preference.

AintNoFun
10-25-2006, 05:28 PM
Actually its not as easy as you think. We have another company that my mother owns so its a certified NJ W.B.E. They go through everything canceled checks to see whose making deposits, who signs the contracts, who sends faxes, etc. Im sure certain states are different but I know in NJ it took her close to a year just to get certified with a few agencies. Its a pretty good advantage for her but there are so many other W.B.E.s and M.B.E.s out there it doesn't really make to much of a difference.

I agree with Kate...I bet the majority are nothing more than figureheads to get Fed and State preference.

mslawn
10-25-2006, 05:28 PM
Some of we women who actually DO THE WORK resent those businesses who "work the system" by putting a woman in as a figurehead owner. I know of multiple construction firms whose ONLY woman on the books is the "owner". Guess who does all the REAL work? Did you guess the husband and a bunch of other guys?
Well, the way it should be is EQUAL to everyone who bids. A company should not have to misrepresent itself to get particular work, but because of discrimation to the majority (which actually is not the majority anymore) some have to resort to this.

Kate Butler
10-25-2006, 05:45 PM
Well, the way it should be is EQUAL to everyone who bids. A company should not have to misrepresent itself to get particular work, but because of discrimation to the majority (which actually is not the majority anymore) some have to resort to this.

That sounds an awful lot like "It's OK to lie if it puts ME at an advantage, but not if it puts YOU at an advantage".

mslawn
10-25-2006, 06:01 PM
That sounds an awful lot like "It's OK to lie if it puts ME at an advantage, but not if it puts YOU at an advantage".
In this day and time there should be no reason the minority card should even work anymore. There can be no discrimination if they are taking low bid, but if the next higher bid is a minority and they pull it, then the system is definately screwed up.

olderthandirt
10-25-2006, 06:04 PM
There are both Federal and state programs for Minority Owned Businesses. Google it. It isn't just for women-owned, but also other minorities (ethnic, disables, etc..).

Kate, kudos on figuring ot a way to work in a male dominated field and succeding in it.

I think you should do a thread on some of the benefits and draw backs to being a minority owned business in the field of Landscaping.

Also if there are any other minority based operation you should chime in and tell your experience with dealing with the coorperate world.

I would be interested in what and how contracts are awarded and what all it invovles for minority based operations
Just how much of an advantage or disadvantage does a minority owned company have over a "non" minority owned co.

mslawn
10-25-2006, 06:05 PM
BTW- We do not use it so I really do not care anyway. All the minority card does when it is used, is cheat people who have earned the right to win a bid on a project out of that project.

JHLawns
10-25-2006, 06:23 PM
Wow, that certainly made for a lively discussion. My wife will probably be putting in as much time as I will only I will be doing most of the "grunt" work. Not to say she isn't capable or willing. She grew up on a farm and is no stranger to manual labor. However, at this point she still has a day job and will for a couple years longer than me so, I will take what she can give.

Since we haven't formally set the company up yet - it was just an option that I was wondering about.

Kate Butler
10-25-2006, 06:54 PM
I think that part of the point is being missed. The Federal Government MANDATES 10%-15% set-asides. This is a way of encouraging bigger businesses (the GC's, general contractors) to use smaller businesses; thus giving them a leg up on becoming bigger businesses themselves down the road.

This means that the GC's must make a "GOOD FAITH EFFORT" to have 10%-15% of the total contract fulfilled by minority or woman-owned businesses. This comes down to a lot of registered letters (I sometimes receive dozens a month) soliciting my firm's bid for whatever their project is. This is a CYA on their part. Just because they asked for my bid doesn't mean that they will use it - OR EVEN CONSIDER IT SERIOUSLY!!. All they NEED is the receipt for the registered letter - a sign off - that they TRIED to find someone on the list to do the job.

It''s the way the game is played. It's not fair. It's not AT ALL based on the ability of the firm to fulfill the contract.

It's the reason the government instituted the set-asides ... in an attempt to right some wrongs and make the playing field a bit more level. Perfect?? Not even close. Yes, in a more perfect world things would work in an equitable way, but this ain't that world. Anybody got a more workable AND realistic solution?

Now, to my point. Who among you ought not JUMP at the chance to make some money for doing nothing when you hire an IC (independent contractor) that is a minority buusiness? So, then, why is it so very, bloody hard to crack the old boys network? Do enlighten me.

Branchland
10-25-2006, 07:48 PM
Our company is owned by my wife. She does work and work hard. She can do a has done just about everthing I do. Now I usally work longer hours. But she does all the office work. I did start the business but we put it in her name just to help get contracts.

AintNoFun
10-25-2006, 07:51 PM
http://www.soilerosiononline.com/html/sep06/pageDiscrimination.htm

that was an article last month about a guy who made a big enough stink about reverse discrimination and got some changes made out of it!

Total.Lawn.Care
10-25-2006, 10:18 PM
Since Savannah Georiga is teh only municipality around my area that really outsources alot of grounds maint, and they give preference to Women and Minority Businesses, then I have two stikes against me. Savannah operates on the lowest closed bid method. However, if the next higher bid is within 10% of the first bid and is either from a W.B.E or M.B.E OR from a business that is located within the city limits, that bid actually wins. I do not live within Savannah City limits, nor am I a W.B.E or M.B.E. So I hope you can understand the delima I have and why I would consider putting my business in my wifes name to allow me to eliminate at least one strike or two so that I can grow my business. Will it work, ????? But I has been a thought.

Eakern & Dog
06-10-2007, 05:40 PM
Since Savannah Georiga is teh only municipality around my area that really outsources alot of grounds maint, and they give preference to Women and Minority Businesses, then I have two stikes against me. Savannah operates on the lowest closed bid method. However, if the next higher bid is within 10% of the first bid and is either from a W.B.E or M.B.E OR from a business that is located within the city limits, that bid actually wins. I do not live within Savannah City limits, nor am I a W.B.E or M.B.E. So I hope you can understand the delima I have and why I would consider putting my business in my wifes name to allow me to eliminate at least one strike or two so that I can grow my business. Will it work, ????? But I has been a thought.

Interesting. I thought the City of Savannah used the state's vendor rules. They must have their own special city vendor rules,because the state of Georgia does not recognize women owned businesses as minority vendor.

https://ssl.doas.state.ga.us/VendorDB/mainframe.jsp

Go to the Frequently asked questions and the 1st notation will tell you that women owned businesses do NOT get minority status as vendors for the state of Georgia.

Lawnworks
06-10-2007, 06:22 PM
How about let the free market decide the outcome and leave the gov't out of the equation.

Pretty soon the minority will be white males!!!