PDA

View Full Version : scag turf tiger or wildcat

str400ex
10-25-2006, 06:11 PM
Im looking at buying a new scag around the first of the year and would like to get the 29dfi turf tiger but am a littel leary of the shaft drive I comercial mow and currently have a hopper , I demoed the turf tiger and also the hustler super Z I liked the Z all but the cut quaility the scag cut anything that i put under it any help would be great. thanks Shawn

tacoma200
10-25-2006, 06:28 PM
I know Scag has a problem every now and then with the drive shaft but I would think this would be a small percentage. I wouldn't be afraid of buying one even though I like belts better. To me the are not as comfortable as the Lazer or Hustler but that's a matter of personal opinion just like the rest of this post I guess. I think the Scag Turf Tiger with the 29 would be a good investment.

str400ex
10-25-2006, 07:09 PM
I know Scag has a problem every now and then with the drive shaft but I would think this would be a small percentage. I wouldn't be afraid of buying one even though I like belts better. To me the are not as comfortable as the Lazer or Hustler but that's a matter of personal opinion just like the rest of this post I guess. I think the Scag Turf Tiger with the 29 would be a good investment. I really liked the way the hustler felt and the controls were more what im used to but the scag had a better quaility in the cut in my area it just left everything looking good without any need to double cut the turf tiger was a littel rougher but not as bad as I was expecting , it had the suspension seat .

FinerCutslawnCare
10-25-2006, 07:33 PM
i would prefer exmark first but scag is my second choice...

jkingrph
10-25-2006, 07:51 PM
Have a new Wildcat 52" 27hp LC kawasaki and it is truly an awsome machine. Cut heavy damp bermuda grass a couple of days ago , fast and never really loaded the engine, just a stream of green coming out the discharge chute.

Lawnworks
10-25-2006, 08:11 PM
I really liked the way the hustler felt and the controls were more what im used to but the scag had a better quaility in the cut in my area it just left everything looking good without any need to double cut the turf tiger was a littel rougher but not as bad as I was expecting , it had the suspension seat .

I have both a Hustler and a Scag. The hustler is a nice, comfortable machine, however it does not seem, as durable as a Tiger. Our hustler is worn out after 1000 hours. The Scag is built much tougher. I had the seal go out on the drive shaft, but other than that it looks like it will last awhile w/ some grease. The cut seems to be better on the scag as well. Especially in bahai.

LLandscaping
10-25-2006, 09:06 PM
I have a Turf Tiger and a Tiger Cub. The WildCat is basically just a bigger cub ( engine and deck). The Turf Tiger does great on hills where the cub likes to slide. I would recommend the Turf Tiger I like the larger frame, larger hydro pumps and the shaft drive.

tacoma200
10-25-2006, 10:14 PM
I have a Turf Tiger and a Tiger Cub. The WildCat is basically just a bigger cub ( engine and deck). The Turf Tiger does great on hills where the cub likes to slide. I would recommend the Turf Tiger I like the larger frame, larger hydro pumps and the shaft drive.
Yes the larger frame is a must for me. Unless you have smaller property's. Scag's are definately tough.

str400ex
10-25-2006, 10:42 PM
Yes the larger frame is a must for me. Unless you have smaller property's. Scag's are definately tough.
I think that is the way im going I have quite a few big propertys I mow but I do have a few smaller ones two I live in the Ozarks so the tougher the better thanks for all the input guys I learn alot on this site thanks again Shawn

LLandscaping
10-25-2006, 11:07 PM
Our Turf Tiger is a 52 with a 27 Kohler. We cut yards from 5,000sft to 7 acres. For some reason the Turf Tiger scalps less then our Tiger Cub with a 48.

green acres lawns
10-26-2006, 02:00 AM
Our Turf Tiger is a 52 with a 27 Kohler. We cut yards from 5,000sft to 7 acres. For some reason the Turf Tiger scalps less then our Tiger Cub with a 48.
Turf Tigers have guage wheels on the rear corners of the deck. Tiger cubs and Wild cats do not. If the rear tire drops in a low spot they will scalp. My 72" tiger scalps less than my 52" cub because of this. The Wild cat I demoed was a 61" and it scapled like the cub. I would pick the tiger over the Wild cat.
You will pay a little more, but you get a lot more. The only advantage to the Wild cat is more compact size. More like Exmark and Hustler.

fiveoboy01
10-26-2006, 02:05 AM
How are you scag guys liking the new velocity deck?

How's the cut quality?

How's the discarge in different conditions, wet/damp and dry?

I'm taking a hard look at the Turf Tigers. Going to be getting a ZTR this spring, just trying to find out what I can through the winter.

jkingrph
10-26-2006, 08:59 AM
Not a pro in this business , but velocity deck gives an excellent cut, and really disperses clippings well. I have not tried it mulching yet as leaves have just begun to filter down a little here.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
10-26-2006, 09:19 AM
Mowers have came a long way in the past few years,which ever you decide they are both top machines.