PDA

View Full Version : 19 h.p. Kaw to small for hustler mini Z ???

TNT LawnCare Inc.
10-25-2006, 07:33 PM
Dealer has some for 5999.00 good price but i think 19 h.p. is to small for a 52 in. What do you guys think. Needs at least a 23 !

coolluv
10-25-2006, 07:51 PM
I bought a new 44" hustler super mini z in June. The salesman said the 19hp was sufficient but I talked to one of the techs that works on them and has alot of experience with them and he thought the 19hp was undersized. I bought the 23 based on that and after using it for a while I understand why and I would have been disappointed with the 19 hp. I would get the 23hp.

Just my opinion.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
10-25-2006, 08:01 PM
how do you like your 44 were looking at that as well for small residentials and commercials i bet the 23 rocks on the 44 .

Lynden-Jeff
10-25-2006, 08:13 PM
I have a 19 Hp kawi on a 52" bobcat and its fine. I have only had one incedent where the grass was 8"+ long and it bogged "a little". I still managed to cut down the entire thing with a double cut. IMO the 19 HP saves gas and is still decent aslong as your not mowing overgrown fields. Even with my vac I dont notice a difference aslong as its not overly grown.

Cheers
Jeff

pugs
10-25-2006, 08:21 PM
It depends which 19 Kaw they are using.

The one Xoopiter has on his Bobcat is the older Big block 19. Basically the same engine as the 21, 23 and 25HP models. Same displacement at least. This larger one is model FH601V and its 675cc.

But they have another 19HP model. It is the FH580V. This one is 585cc.

I would say the small 19 would be working pretty hard, but the big 19 would probably do just fine.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
10-25-2006, 08:29 PM
Its the 675 cc motor so you think it would do the job pugs ?

pugs
10-25-2006, 08:34 PM
I think you would be fine unless you plan on mowing some pretty nasty stuff. Some of the maniacs on this site that want 35HP on a 60" deck may disagree though...

There was a thread a while back where a guy was talking about a 19HP and 23HP version of the same exact ZTR. I think he has the 23 and his neighbor has the 19 or something. He said he really couldnt tell a difference in power he did notice the 23 used more fuel. Which makes sense since it has a different carb than the 19.

coolluv
10-27-2006, 09:12 AM
I also chose the 23hp because I want to buy the backvac system eventually and the tech told me that he has mounted those on the 19hp and you can really tell its there. He also said that some of them came back because the customer did not like the performance with the backvac unit on the 19hp and they traded up to the 23hp. I have some customers that have zoysia grass and they only want it cut every other week and I have noticed that even with the 23hp I can hear the motor struggle sometimes in some heavy stuff so I would Imagine that the 19hp would really have a problem.

Hope this helps. Dave

mhussey
10-27-2006, 09:59 AM
I think you would be fine unless you plan on mowing some pretty nasty stuff. Some of the maniacs on this site that want 35HP on a 60" deck may disagree though...

There was a thread a while back where a guy was talking about a 19HP and 23HP version of the same exact ZTR. I think he has the 23 and his neighbor has the 19 or something. He said he really couldn't tell a difference in power he did notice the 23 used more fuel. Which makes sense since it has a different carb than the 19.

Yea that was me that made that quote. You almost had it correct pugs! I have a Toro Z-Master 19HP Kawi 48" Turbo Force and my neighbor has the the same frame, deck everything except for the motor. He opted to get the 23HP instead. He tells me every time he mows with my mower that he can't tell a difference in power, and we can mow a little longer with mine too. That 23 really does like fuel.

However, we really have don't do anything nasty though, but there are some really thick lawns and I never had a problem with my 19HP. However, I do have a 48" deck instead of a 52. Yes you may need that extra HP for a bag system or, but my dealer told me I still shouldn't have a problem HP with the bagging system.

Jason Rose
10-27-2006, 12:06 PM
This is funny, I guess I need to check hustlers site... My dealer told me they only come with the 19hp kaw. or a 20hp honda and I'd have to get a larger frame mower to get the bigger Hp with a 52" cut.

Fellow cutter here bought the Mini Z 52", 19hp kaw. He is bagging (or at least was trying too with their ((humbolts)) pos plastic blower catcher.) He said that the 19 really wasn't enough for bagging, which I wouldn't doubt at all.

*edit* hummm, I checked hustlers site and I really wish our dealer here would RESEARCH AND LEARN about the equipment he is selling! Choice of a 19, 20, 23, and 24 hp. on the mini z's http://www.hustlerturfequipment.com/ProductPages/ProductPagesCont/HMZ/HMZConfigs/HMZConfigs.html

Lawn Enforcement FM
10-27-2006, 12:20 PM
It is plenty of motor unless you are in thick wet grass or over grown grass. It did fine 99% of the time. The only time I had trouble was right after the Hurricane in Bahaia grass. In St Augustine, no problems what so ever.

Howie's Lawn Care
10-27-2006, 06:25 PM
This is funny, I guess I need to check hustlers site... My dealer told me they only come with the 19hp kaw. or a 20hp honda and I'd have to get a larger frame mower to get the bigger Hp with a 52" cut.

Fellow cutter here bought the Mini Z 52", 19hp kaw. He is bagging (or at least was trying too with their ((humbolts)) pos plastic blower catcher.) He said that the 19 really wasn't enough for bagging, which I wouldn't doubt at all.

*edit* hummm, I checked hustlers site and I really wish our dealer here would RESEARCH AND LEARN about the equipment he is selling! Choice of a 19, 20, 23, and 24 hp. on the mini z's http://www.hustlerturfequipment.com/ProductPages/ProductPagesCont/HMZ/HMZConfigs/HMZConfigs.html

Maybe he just wants to get rid of what he has in stock and is lying to you. I find the engine to deck size combinations very easy to remember.