PDA

View Full Version : Dozer blades on Skid Steers

vntgrcr
10-25-2006, 09:32 PM
Hey guys,
I am curious if any of you have succesfully used a 6 way blade on a skid steer. I have just bought a new T190 and it is a pretty good pusher. The dealer has a blade there that they are willing to let go at a decent price. They will let me demo it if I want but curious what the real world experience is. I totally understand that it isn't a D3 by any means but it would go a long way to shaping driveways, and misc cuts. I would think as long as you work within the limits of the machine and attachment it would be productive. Let me know what you think.
David

ksss
10-25-2006, 11:01 PM
I think on tracked machine they would work well. I have watched them on a wheeled machine and unless the ground conditons are ideal they are difficult to use and be productive. The longer tracked wheel base (is there such a thing?) would help avoid the tortoising that is easy to do with a short wheel base machine. I always thought that a grader attachment like the one from Van Boh would be money better spent for driveways and grading. I thought that you could utilize it more. Unless you needed a mini dozer in which case the 6 way would probably do better. I could have picked one up a Van Boh here for 4K nearly brand new. Waited one day and it was gone.:cry:

Construct'O
10-26-2006, 12:10 AM
I have 6 way dozer blade built very heavy, it is a Grouser blade. I use it a lot backfilling tile drainage trenches.I backfill several thousand feet ,so i like because it very productive for that.

I have a Deere 332 CTL track machine i'm using.I had a 10' angle blade to start with ,but traded it in on an 8ft 6 way blade. It is a lot hander and nicer to have to tilt if your working on uneven ground or trying to corner your blade to cut with.The 10ft blade was a little to much,wouldn't go in the ground as good and to much side draft if you did much corning in piles.

The 8 ft works very good.It's not like using a dozer ,since i have dozers there is quite a bit of difference.For what i use mine for it is the ticket.

dozerman21
10-26-2006, 12:44 AM
Like the other guys said, if they are used in the right conditions, they can be productive. We traded for a heavy duty blade for our 1845C several years back, and it didn't grade for sh!t. I think it's a BradCo brand. It's very heavy and makes the loader bouce, and you can't get a feel for the grade. I think a lighter, smaller blade on a CTL would be effective though. I haven't tried our blade on my CT332, because the majority of our work is with dozers, so it wouldn't be as efficient. I think a blade would be ideal for tight areas where you couldn't spin the machine, but you could windrow the dirt where you needed it. It would also be good for cutting swales between close houses if the ground wasn't too hard.

janb
10-26-2006, 12:57 AM
Like the other guys said, if they are used in the right conditions, they can be productive. ... It's very heavy and makes the loader bouce, and you can't get a feel for the grade. I think a lighter, smaller blade on a CTL would be effective though. I haven't tried our blade on my CT332, because the majority of our work is with dozers, so it wouldn't be as efficient. I think a blade would be ideal for tight areas where you couldn't spin the machine, but you could windrow the dirt where you needed it. It would also be good for cutting swales between close houses if the ground wasn't too hard.

like they all mentioned... I don't get much use out of mine, (ez to gouge) best use is cutting swales or crowning a driveway, but it is much faster and ez'r on a dozer. The CTL is ez enough to twist around and use the bucket (4in1 preferred) to offset a cut, unless it is too tight (possibly around homes) I'm usually doing rural places so more room around grades. I find the 6 way pretty slow, both in hyd action and having to go slow to keep from making 'Whoop-dee-doos'. I have 'shoes' on each end, (mount behind blade) and they help, but still prefer a dozer.

Scag48
10-26-2006, 03:28 AM
Unless you're doing rough cuts I think it would be a waste of time. If you're cutting a road or something like that you'd be alright but finish grading is best done with a bucket on a skid. I thought about getting one for our 277, but decided not to as they are so limited. If I need a dozer, I go rent one. Aside from that, combo buckets are better money spent.

Mike33
10-26-2006, 11:18 PM
Unless you're doing rough cuts I think it would be a waste of time. If you're cutting a road or something like that you'd be alright but finish grading is best done with a bucket on a skid. I thought about getting one for our 277, but decided not to as they are so limited. If I need a dozer, I go rent one. Aside from that, combo buckets are better money spent.
I was kicking the idea of a 6 way blade for next year when i purchase a second machine. We dont really do a lot of drive way work but a lot of top soil work and at times when rough grade donr satisfy us we have to sit it. I did buy 3 years ago a tilt tach worked on bucket not bad but we kept on tearing hoses like one of bobcats worst down falls. We didnt even fix it this year it just sits. So for what i do you think just stick with the bucket?
Mike

Scag48
10-27-2006, 12:33 AM
Well, if you're pushing piles of topsoil, a bucket will do just fine, but a combo bucket works even better. Hit the pile, back up while opening the clamshell, then once empty, drive forward into the pile while closing the clamshell. This is significantly faster than a standard bucket where you have to lift the arms, curl the bucket out, lower and hit the pile again. I have found combo buckets to be a necessity for us.

janb
10-27-2006, 04:25 AM
I was kicking the idea of a 6 way blade ...a tilt tach worked on bucket not bad but we kept on tearing hoses like one of bobcats worst down falls. ...just stick with the bucket?
Mike

Tilt Tach should cover it, I'd spend some time on hose routing and retention scheme to avoid tearing (no need / time for that)

the combo bucket is a real plus when grading (metered, as in a scraper, dirt rolls into bucket) and back dragging with it open (two lips at different heights for metering out the clods and finishing with fines in a single pass !! :clapping: ) and of course as a third hand for pulling posts and moving trees and rocks,:weightlifter: AND as Scag mentioned, clamming material to get the last drop.:blob2:

vntgrcr
10-27-2006, 05:11 AM
I have a combo bucket that I don't even use. From the sounds of things, I should practice a little more with that and save myself $4500 from buying the blade. The dealer did tell me the blade has been sitting there for quite a while. Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys.

Scag48
10-27-2006, 01:58 PM
You have a combo bucket and you don't use it? :confused: Man, I don't know where I'd be without one.

vntgrcr
10-27-2006, 05:27 PM
I know Scag, I need to work on that. And with your insistence(sp?) I am going to use it more. Plus I look at it like you saved me about $4K so I owe you one!!!
Thanks

Mike33
10-27-2006, 09:28 PM
No guys i dont have a combo bucket. I have a tilt tach you then hook up your standard bucket and it tilts the bucket left and right angle like a 6 way blade. But we have issues with hoses bobcat has done some domb ass ways of running there hoses on attachments and this one is the worst.

Mike

Scag48
10-28-2006, 01:49 PM
I know Scag, I need to work on that. And with your insistence(sp?) I am going to use it more. Plus I look at it like you saved me about $4K so I owe you one!!!
Thanks

Worst case scenario the combo bucket doesn't do quite what you want, but you should at least give it a shot at this point as it won't cost you anything. Then if the combo doesn't suit your needs, sell it and put the cash toward a blade.

Mike, a tilt-tach with a combo bucket would be the ultimate :drinkup:

Mike33
10-28-2006, 10:31 PM
Worst case scenario the combo bucket doesn't do quite what you want, but you should at least give it a shot at this point as it won't cost you anything. Then if the combo doesn't suit your needs, sell it and put the cash toward a blade.

Mike, a tilt-tach with a combo bucket would be the ultimate :drinkup:
Wont work that way, the tilt tach has hoses. You wouldnt be able to hook up a second attachment such as a combo bucket then.
Mike

Scag48
10-29-2006, 04:44 AM
It could be done, but not worth it.

Mike33
10-29-2006, 11:36 PM
It could be done, but not worth it.
I do agree with your logic
Mike

gammon landscaping
11-01-2006, 12:28 AM
for the guys with tilt tachs how do you like them i have been thinking about getting one this winter. dad does all the large grading and i have to do all the really tight work and most of the time i don't have the space to level the machine up first and was thinking a tilt would be as handy as a pocket on a shirt. how do they hold up?

140mower
11-01-2006, 02:14 AM
On the tilt-tach, I pondered the same question and after hearing several people say how much they liked theirs I decided to take the plunge. So far, after about 3 months, I have to say I really like it. It does take away from the weight you can handle and by the nature of how it interfaces with the machine it changes the way the bucket contacts the ground, but for grade work it is a real time saver. Only time I'll take it off is if I have quite a bit of loading to do. Shortly after buying the tilt-tach, I also picked up a land plane and that has made a very nice combination tool esp. when trying to match the driveway grade to the street. Try renting one for a week, I'm sure you'll like it, and if you don't you're only out a little and if you do the dealer will often deduct the rental fee from the purchase price.
Don