PDA

View Full Version : Hey you blew leaves into my yard

livingreen1
10-25-2006, 09:48 PM
Hey I am new here but wanted to share a story. I am just about to finish a residential and the neighbor is standing next door just staring at me. My guy comes around the corner and the neighbor catches him so I go over and see what the problem is. This guy says you just blew all those leaves into my yard. I say i made sure to blow the leaves back into this yard and then cut them up and he starts to cuss me and accuse me of things and in mid conversation I look up and realize the leaves i have been cutting up are from his tree after I say this he tucks his tail and walks away. I thought this was pretty funny

steve45
10-25-2006, 10:07 PM
Send him a bill!

J. Bret Holder
10-25-2006, 10:59 PM
Sounds like the guy is a democrat. They're always looking for something to ***** and whine about.

You were fortunate in that you were actually able to reason with him by showing him where the leaves originated from. This makes me think that he might actually have some conservative characteristics. Heck, maybe he's coming around?

BCM
10-25-2006, 11:03 PM
Now thats funny right there

Ric3077
10-25-2006, 11:28 PM
I hate people like that...I blew a few like maybe 50 leaves on the street and wasn't even done and the neighbor comes over and makes me stop the mower...I did cause I thought maybe she wanted an estimate...then she says in a PITA voice "Do you know you just blew leaves ALL OVER MY LAWN" but what she meant was you blew a few on the street and I am scared that they might get on my lawn. I forgot that after I am done that WIND can't blow leaves...she acts like she has never had a leave on her lawn before...So I say well I haven't blown the street off yet...I always do that after I am done...she goes OK just as long as you know....I just stayed poilte but thought to myself do people REALLy have this much free time?

WildWest
10-25-2006, 11:38 PM
Sounds like the guy is a democrat. They're always looking for something to ***** and whine about.

You were fortunate in that you were actually able to reason with him by showing him where the leaves originated from. This makes me think that he might actually have some conservative characteristics. Heck, maybe he's coming around?

Uh, yeah, could be one of those "treehugger types" that think that you are deficating on "mother Earth" by cutting a "living organisim.(i.e. grass)"

I used to think, okay, deal with this person as politely as possible...key word "USED" to! Anymore if someone that doesnt pay me has a unfounded bit*h, I will happily raise some hell with them. I will also be sure to let the owner of the property that I AM servicing know of the issue!

"people SUCK".... this is not an inaccurate phrase! (for the most part)

BMFL79
10-25-2006, 11:44 PM

Sounds more like a republican. Makes a big mess, then tries to blame everyone else about it.

So many views and interpretations of the same facts.

TPLawnPro
10-26-2006, 12:14 AM
Sounds more like a republican. Makes a big mess, then tries to blame everyone else about it.

So many views and interpretations of the same facts.

See what I mean??? :laugh: ROFLO!!!

robby
10-26-2006, 09:51 AM
If the leaves belong to a tree on the neighbors yard, and their yard has not been freshly mowed, then while mowing, I probably would point them back towards the neighbors yard. Seems fair enough.

Runner
10-26-2006, 11:02 AM
Unfortunately, that's not the way it works..and this is the same in ANY state. What falls falls on a property is the responsibility of that property it falls on. This goes for sticks and limbs, as well. This has been looked into rather extensively and has a few good threads on here regarding this matter.

Elite Lawn Care
10-26-2006, 04:05 PM
"What falls falls on a property is the responsibility of that property it falls on"

Like RoundUp?:)

BMFL79
10-26-2006, 04:15 PM
When it comes to leaves and other yard debris I think it belongs to the person whose house it lands on. If your neighbor's branch falls and damages your property, like your house, car, or 60' yacht, I think you can take legal action for the damages. Although his lawyer will claim that since the branch was hanging over your propery, technically that branch was your property. When you own property, you own that space from under the ground to the sky, so anything hanging over onto your property you have the right to cut it off at the property line. It gets pretty confusing when there is property damage, to be sure.

downtown
10-26-2006, 06:01 PM
"What falls falls on a property is the responsibility of that property it falls on"

Like RoundUp?:)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Thank you! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LawnScapers of Dayton
10-26-2006, 06:26 PM
I had the same problem with a neighbor of a client last season. He said I was blowing leaves on to his lawn. I asked him if he could confirm that none of the leaves I was cleaning up came from the 4 Silver maples that stand 8-10' from the property line in his yard.... He turned around and left. I finished the job which included final clean-up of the 3 leaves that may have landed on his grass.....

DBL
10-26-2006, 06:35 PM
havent done many leaves yet this year but monday we start big and my guys wont blow them into another yard so someone better not open their mouth to me

Turfdude
10-26-2006, 08:03 PM
When it comes to leaf season all of your clients neighbors "suck"... thats why we try to get several lawns together ... a few less neighbor's to ***** per client. Seriously, just teach your crews to go beyond the property lines 5' or so blowing all debris towards your client's property then do any necessary mowing. Don't even give thema a chance to complain. If there is a chain link fence on the property line (and there is no pet in the client's neighbor's yard, go to the neighboring property & blow from that side inward... unless they are a true sphynctor and want to complain about tresspassing, etc.. they'll appreciate your efforts to keep their property clean.

Just some proactive advice for the feint at heart. If someone really annoys you, just act like you're deaf and mute... nod and smile at them.

Branchland
10-26-2006, 09:14 PM
Is there only leaves that match his trees? If so then tell him you
are only giving him his leaves back. :laugh:

MowerMoney
10-26-2006, 09:22 PM
Had a neighbour of a customer give me h*** for blowing snow onto his lawn. I can understand about leaves but snow? c'mon now. :nono: Already had around 6" on it anyways. Not like there was gravel in it either.

MDLawnman
10-26-2006, 09:27 PM
Hey I am new here but wanted to share a story. I am just about to finish a residential and the neighbor is standing next door just staring at me. My guy comes around the corner and the neighbor catches him so I go over and see what the problem is. This guy says you just blew all those leaves into my yard. I say i made sure to blow the leaves back into this yard and then cut them up and he starts to cuss me and accuse me of things and in mid conversation I look up and realize the leaves i have been cutting up are from his tree after I say this he tucks his tail and walks away. I thought this was pretty funny

You handled the situation very well. Welcome to the Wild World of Commercial Mowing! It's not supposed to be a contact sport. but sometimes it seems like it could be.

MattsMowing3535
10-26-2006, 11:08 PM
Had a neighbour of a customer give me h*** for blowing snow onto his lawn. I can understand about leaves but snow? c'mon now. :nono: Already had around 6" on it anyways. Not like there was gravel in it either.
If someone yeld at me for haveing snow on his property I think I would go crazy. I mean snow, its all the same and its there till spring no matter what.

JJLandscapes
10-27-2006, 12:30 AM
when neighbors come out screaming i just smile and laugh try to explain to them there is something called wind and that they see us everyweek with the broom and shovel out picking up the piles so what benefit woul blowing 10 leaves onto there property do for me ... if that doesnt work i threaten them and tell them if i ever see them screaming at me or an employee again there will be problems and the customers never come out again

sometimes they are like "im good friends with them im gonna tell them about you" my response alright thank you and drive away . because they know we dont blow anything on purpose onto neighbors houses

one old man a few weeks ago after my speech goes "your right it was worth a shot" and then had a 10 minute convo with him

NEVER LET A CUSTOMER GET TO YOU not even a neighbor if they come out like a moron screaming you dont want to service there property anway

sheshovel
10-27-2006, 12:40 AM
Welcome livinggreen1.
Now you guy's have to admit there are plenty of LCO's who DO blow leaves and debri onto neighboring yards. I have seen it many times myself.
So don't blame somebody for warning you not to do it, they may have had previous problems with it happening to them before you took the job.

MattsMowing3535
10-27-2006, 12:48 AM
Thats true I have seen people blowing grass or dirt on the road all the way down the street and into the nieghbors or leaves in a garden bed along the property line. It think to myself, You blew them all the way down the street when you could just turn 90 degreees and be done? Some people. . .