PDA

View Full Version : Time to stop mowing

livingreen1
10-25-2006, 10:21 PM
Anyone here from the midwest? I think our mowing is coming to an abrupt halt any comments?

fiveoboy01
10-25-2006, 10:26 PM
I'm done. Finished up my last round of properties today.

some stuff I mowed even 2 weeks ago doesn't need it at all right now.

MattsMowing3535
10-25-2006, 10:28 PM
Im mowing stuff I havent mowed in 3 weeks today and the rest of the week. Then I think it will be finish fall cleanups and 1 last mowing in mid november. Just to make it look nice for the winter!

jmq
10-25-2006, 10:30 PM
I have had to skip a lot of my regular customers because.....there are no leaves on the grass or the grass doesn't need to be cut. You are right that the grass is slowing down... I have turned my attention to fall clean-ups. My GREAT customers still don't mind that I come by to "cut" the grass even if there are a few leaves on the yard, but there are some yards that I have skipped for the last 3 weeks.... and still no growth! I even tried to be proactive and cut some of the yards lower to prepare for the leaves and they still aren't growing.

Let us know if you come up with some great ideas to make the grass grow faster this time of year....otherwise..chase the leaves!!!:dizzy:

bearmersch
10-26-2006, 03:15 AM
I am in Wi, by Madison. I have been slowing down now and am going to leaf pick up. It has been cold around here lately and for the last week we have had frost every night almost. We have had snow 3 times this year so far... but it melts. Love that wisconsin weather

goodgreen
10-26-2006, 07:37 AM
Yes, I'm usually done by end of October every year. And the last few seasons, it has snowed on top of leaves before I can get them cleaned up. Hopefully, that won't happen this year.

Sam Eye
10-26-2006, 08:09 AM
Then I think it will be finish fall cleanups and 1 last mowing in mid november. Just to make it look nice for the winter!

Likewise,...

abuckeye
10-26-2006, 08:48 AM
I'll be finished mowing this week. Then on to clean up the leaves.

robby
10-26-2006, 09:46 AM
In the past, I would finish up mowing in Oct or so and then have to return on many properties later in Nov to do big leaf cleanups. Last couple of years I am choosing instead to just keep mowing every week or 2 on the properties with leaves. I won't be taking off much grass, but instead mulching up the leaves to the point where they won't need raked. It's still a cheap alternative for the customer to get rid of the leaves, and I don't have to mess with them, as far as big cleanups, which I hate.

Runner
10-26-2006, 11:04 AM
Why is my grass still growing to beat the band? we're cutting, shredding leaves, and doing a little picking up.

David Haggerty
10-26-2006, 02:32 PM
I've core aerated and fall fertilized most of my customers. This usually rejuvinates the lawns a little and gives me an extra mowing in Oct. Not this season though. Maybe if we get a litle rain then a warm up. It's supposed to rain friday.