PDA

View Full Version : Crossbow hunting

dvmcmrhp52
10-26-2006, 06:31 PM
How many folks hunt with a crossbow?
Do you agree with using them during the regular archery season or should there be a seperate season?
How acurate and how far are they good for?
What's the largest game you would hunt with one?

Inquiring minds want to know.....My girlfriends son hunts with one and I'm thinking about adding it to my hunting season.

geogunn
10-26-2006, 08:04 PM
my opinion on them is they should only be legal for the handicapped hunter during any legal bow season.

and I don't mean the mentally handicapped.

GEO :drinkup:

dvmcmrhp52
10-26-2006, 08:10 PM
my opinion on them is they should only be legal for the handicapped hunter during any legal bow season.

That was always my original thoughts, but now I'm thinking if everyone else is going to use them why not give it a try?
It sorta goes along with the original archery hunting argument when compound bows came out, the archers of the time only wanted longbows to be alowed...........

Muzzleloader season has gone the same route with inline front loaders and such as well as allowing percussion smokepoles.......

Dunno.................

crawdad
10-26-2006, 08:38 PM

It's been legal in TN for a couple of years for anyone to hunt with one, not just handicapped. I figure, another year or two, and they'll be available second hand at a good price. I finally broke down last year, and bought a compound.I haven't hunted with it yet, I like my recurve bow.

stumper1620
10-26-2006, 08:42 PM
That was always my original thoughts, but now I'm thinking if everyone else is going to use them why not give it a try?
It sorta goes along with the original archery hunting argument when compound bows came out, the archers of the time only wanted longbows to be alowed...........

Muzzleloader season has gone the same route with inline front loaders and such as well as allowing percussion smokepoles.......

Dunno.................
Compounds and Muzzle loads that are modernized take the fun of the hunt out of it all.

ECS
10-26-2006, 08:53 PM
How many folks hunt with a crossbow?
I don't, but had one that I pickud up used & got rid of it before even using it. Just didn't hve the time.

Do you agree with using them during the regular archery season or should there be a seperate season?
I think they should be with the regular archery season.

How acurate and how far are they good for?
Don't rightly know. Been told they are very accuate though.

What's the largest game you would hunt with one?
I see no reason to place a limit on the size of the game. They are more accuarate & as much or more power than a compound bow, so moose, elk, mule deer, whitetail, big horn sheep, black bear should all be considered. I know a lot of hunters that have taken moose, elk & bear with a compound, so go for it.

stevo22
10-27-2006, 12:37 AM
i bought one last yr but did not get the chance to use it...i have the horton legend 175...very, very accurate...i would not hesitate to shoot at 48-55 yds..of course i have practiced plenty at that range...i took a doe at 43yds opening weekend...made a perfect hit...when we skinned and opened her up i was very shocked at the damage that it did...her lungs were literally shattered to bits...exit hole was about 2-2 3/4 inches...she traveled about 30yds max after the hit...lots of blood on the trail...i have had this discussion with one of my best friends...he says that it is cheating...well, i do not consider a compound to be any more primitive than a crossbow...i tell him that when he puts one down with a longbow then he has a point, until then shut the he11 up...getting an animal within 40yds with any type of bow is the challenge in my eyes...i wouldn't hesitate to shoot at any animal except a bear...i would want a gun-period...

geogunn
10-27-2006, 01:18 AM
It's been legal in TN for a couple of years for anyone to hunt with one, not just handicapped. I figure, another year or two, and they'll be available second hand at a good price. I finally broke down last year, and bought a compound.I haven't hunted with it yet, I like my recurve bow.

do you run a few decades behind crawdad?

the compound bow has been popular for about 50 years and you just bought one last year?

by that math, when you are about 105 years old, remind me of this thread and I'll buy you a 2006 year model crossbow.

GEO

kris
10-27-2006, 06:24 AM

Why is that Geo?

garth1967
10-27-2006, 06:58 AM
let me say this you woulnt find a more challenging way to hunt.especially wild pigs

crawdad
10-27-2006, 08:08 AM
do you run a few decades behind crawdad?

the compound bow has been popular for about 50 years and you just bought one last year?

GEO

Why yes, in fact, I do run a few decades behind, by my own choice.
As I said, I prefer my recurve bow, that I've been using since I quit whittling longbows out of wild cherry wood, and stringing them with hayrope.

Another example is when, instead of using a 7mm rem mag, I'd rather tote my Dad's old double-12, which I used last year to score this trophy.

crawdad
10-27-2006, 08:11 AM
let me say this you woulnt find a more challenging way to hunt.especially wild pigs

When I lived in hawaii (decades ago) the natives would go pig hunting without guns. Just dogs and knives. I respectfully declined the invitation to join them.

noseha
10-27-2006, 08:16 AM
[QUOTE=geogunn]my opinion on them is they should only be legal for the handicapped hunter during any legal bow season.

yes, thats right. I thing my state is that way

dvmcmrhp52
10-27-2006, 10:26 AM
They are more accuarate & as much or more power than a compound bow, so moose, elk, mule deer, whitetail, big horn sheep, black bear should all be considered. I know a lot of hunters that have taken moose, elk & bear with a compound, so go for it.

This is good.............Thanks.

dvmcmrhp52
10-27-2006, 10:28 AM
i bought one last yr but did not get the chance to use it...i have the horton legend 175...very, very accurate...i would not hesitate to shoot at 48-55 yds..of course i have practiced plenty at that range...i took a doe at 43yds opening weekend...made a perfect hit...when we skinned and opened her up i was very shocked at the damage that it did...her lungs were literally shattered to bits...exit hole was about 2-2 3/4 inches...she traveled about 30yds max after the hit...lots of blood on the trail...i have had this discussion with one of my best friends...he says that it is cheating...well, i do not consider a compound to be any more primitive than a crossbow...i tell him that when he puts one down with a longbow then he has a point, until then shut the he11 up...getting an animal within 40yds with any type of bow is the challenge in my eyes...i wouldn't hesitate to shoot at any animal except a bear...i would want a gun-period...

Good info, glad to hear of your success with it..........

dvmcmrhp52
10-27-2006, 10:30 AM
When I lived in hawaii (decades ago) the natives would go pig hunting without guns. Just dogs and knives. I respectfully declined the invitation to join them.

I haven't gone pig hunting yet and someday I will, but it won't be with a "pig sticker".................:waving:

6'7 330
10-27-2006, 11:07 AM
One of nephews used to utilize a cross-bow, shooting at Carp in the old I&M Canal down around Shanihon Il. Until the Carp starting smelling like stink from a 8x10 box .