PDA

View Full Version : check list when crews leaving in the morning?

lawnboy
10-26-2006, 07:45 PM
Ok, this is my issue. I am having a lot of problems with lost equipment, and lack of responsiblity on the employees. It becomes the blame game. We currently have about 30 employees all of which come in and out of the shop throughout the day to get things they need. What I want to do is create a check list in the morning to know what is being taken on their trucks, and throughout the day they would have to check in and out things with the secretary or me. The problem i have is that all the crews return back to the shop at different times, and I nor the secretary are at the shop at those times to check back in the equiment. Also, things can get taken off the trailers after crews leave, and it once again becomes the blame game. Any ideas, or things that you guys do.

Uranus
10-26-2006, 08:35 PM
Do your guys have the same crews most of the time? I'm sure you have "crew leaders or foremen". Assign your senior guys to tools of value. Like a mowing crew would have the same mowers, trimmers, blowers, maybe edger, things like that. Valuable items. Construction crew leaders would be responsible for items like stone saws, lazer levels, etc. Hand tools you would give an alloted number to crew leaders and designate and area in your shop for their tools. Have a meeting with crew leaders half an hour before the work day once a week or once a month and explain to these guys that you are having problems with missing tools and how it sucks to have to spend hundreds of dollars a year replacing them. Make these guy responsible. Thats why they get paid a more and have more responsibility. I'm small time compared to you but even I know how much it stinks to have to reach into my pockets to pay for or replace tools.

Az Gardener
10-26-2006, 08:40 PM
I know its expensive but each crew needs their own equipment even if it is not used regularly.

I worked at a large company and each crew had its own big locker/small shed with a lock so equipment that was not used all the time was kept in the shed. Actually all the equipment was loaded each day in and out of the sheds, what a waste of time that was. I prefer enclosed trailers myself. If they must check things in and out do it in the morning and lock the specialty stuff up at night in the lockers.

I know enclosed trailers are not cheap but neither is land and labor. My guys show up at 6:30 and most days they are on the road at 6:35 at the latest.

rodfather
10-27-2006, 06:47 AM
[QUOTE=Az Gardener]I know its expensive but each crew needs their own equipment even if it is not used regularly.

QUOTE]

Exactly what we do

noseha
10-27-2006, 07:57 AM
with 30 employees, you should be able to hire one more and have an equipment foreman, that would sign out all equipment as well as clean and maintain all equipment. just be in the gargage all day to keep control of things going in and out. you must have a lot of equipment, come with your own ID system for each piece. from trucks to hand tools.

The landscaper
10-27-2006, 08:09 AM
number each piece, that way you can check them out in the morning and if something isn't there at night, you know what crew it was with.

Az Gardener
10-27-2006, 09:26 AM
Having an equipment librarian to check equipment in and out just does not make financial sense. That person is going to cost you minimum 30-K a year to manage equipment that probably does not have 30-K worth of value. Equipment is easier to buy then labor and poses less liability. The only way that works is if you have a superintendent do it along with all their other responsibilities and that gets old real fast. No one wants to be the first one in and the last one to leave.

noseha
10-27-2006, 11:09 AM
Having an equipment librarian to check equipment in and out just does not make financial sense. That person is going to cost you minimum 30-K a year to manage equipment that probably does not have 30-K worth of value. Equipment is easier to buy then labor and poses less liability. The only way that works is if you have a superintendent do it along with all their other responsibilities and that gets old real fast. No one wants to be the first one in and the last one to leave.

30 workers with 30k in equipment.

lawnboy
10-27-2006, 07:15 PM
AZ hit it on the nail, it doesnt make financial sense to pay someone to stay at night to work check in equipment. Enclosed trailers are fine, but there is a reason I have a 12000sq/ft building that i can pull all the equipment into. Every crew does have their own equipment, but the problem is when they return it is easy for someone to grab a piece off of their trailer and walk off with it.

What I am considering is cameras in the shop, with interenet viewing power. So i can watch from home and tape. Even then thought someone will find a way around it. It sucks how a couple of people can ruin a good thing for everyone else.

AL Inc
10-27-2006, 07:45 PM
Lawnboy, I'm a smaller operation but have had the same problems with tools being lost or stolen. I understand you have the building, but the enclosed trailer did help, as I can have a specific place for each tool, pruner, hand saw, etc. I can look inside the trailer and see if something is missing in a few seconds. I also started color coding the tools, so my maintenance crew gets yellow tools, and the landscape install/detail crew gets blue tools. Easier to know if something has been pulled from one trailer to another.
I wish I had more advice to give you as even for me, with five employees, it is still an uphill battle.

YardPro
10-27-2006, 07:47 PM
have a seperate set of tools for each crew. paint them a seperate color for each crew.

DBL
10-27-2006, 08:03 PM
have a seperate set of tools for each crew. paint them a seperate color for each crew.

if you dont want to do all that have a sign out sheet at the door crew 1 taking stihl pruner and red max back pack blower and if you dont trust them to sign out be there in the mornings for a little bit and make sure they do

noseha
10-28-2006, 06:18 AM
AZ hit it on the nail, it doesnt make financial sense to pay someone to stay at night to work check in equipment. Enclosed trailers are fine, but there is a reason I have a 12000sq/ft building that i can pull all the equipment into. Every crew does have their own equipment, but the problem is when they return it is easy for someone to grab a piece off of their trailer and walk off with it.

What I am considering is cameras in the shop, with interenet viewing power. So i can watch from home and tape. Even then thought someone will find a way around it. It sucks how a couple of people can ruin a good thing for everyone else.

how do you mant your eqmt?

lawnboy
10-28-2006, 01:42 PM
Lawnboy, I'm a smaller operation but have had the same problems with tools being lost or stolen. I understand you have the building, but the enclosed trailer did help, as I can have a specific place for each tool, pruner, hand saw, etc. I can look inside the trailer and see if something is missing in a few seconds. I also started color coding the tools, so my maintenance crew gets yellow tools, and the landscape install/detail crew gets blue tools. Easier to know if something has been pulled from one trailer to another.
I wish I had more advice to give you as even for me, with five employees, it is still an uphill battle.

I hear ya, i know that would probably be the way to go, however you still have the issue with the landscape crews whome care a bobcat usually. My problem is not that i dont know what is taken, it is how do you know who is taking it. I do have one guy that does a lot of our maintence, but he doesnt work everyday, nor does he work nights or want to. I know there is no easy solution for this...

daveyo
10-28-2006, 03:14 PM
Each crew gets their own set of tools and equipment, each crew has a check list that contains all the equipment for that crew, Each morning and each evening they go through the checklist and sign off on it. THEY ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR EVERY SINGLE ITEM ON THAT LIST. If anything is missing they pay for it out of their paycheck, make them sign a written document that states they fully understand their responsibilities.

O'Donnell Landscaping

noseha
10-28-2006, 03:51 PM
why does your guy have to work nights. that would do you no good the guy will have to work buring the day. you should be able to work eqmt in and out for mants. how much are you losing worth $ of eqmt in a year?

lawnboy
10-29-2006, 05:58 PM
not following your question noseha, but the problem is checking it in at night. I am losing about 2-3k a year

georgiagrass
11-02-2006, 09:18 PM
Daveyo is right. Each crew has its own tools and equipment. All equipment carries the number of the truck for that crew. The foreman on each three-man crew is responsible for making sure that all the equipment is there every morning and night.