PDA

View Full Version : Exmark Lazer Z value

Elkbow
10-26-2006, 10:34 PM
I have found an Exmark Lazer Z model LHP4420KC for sale with less than 100 hours on it. It is a 44" with a 20hp Kohler, but I don't know the year model. The owner died and his widow is selling the mower and she doesn't know when he bought it. The serial number is 472xxx; can anyone tell me what the year model is from that serial number? What would be a "good deal"? I have been looking for a little larger ZTR, something in the 52" to 60" range, but if this is a good deal I may just buy it this weekend. I will just be mowing my 1 1/4 acre vacant lot and my home with about 1/3 of an acre. I may also mow some for my dad, his total acreage being about 3 acres. What would this mower have sold for when it was new? Are there any problems with the Exmark that I should be aware of?
Thanks for your help!

kipcom
10-27-2006, 04:28 AM
Too many variables on here for people to price it for you..

Contact your LOCAL ExMark dealer & they can answer all your questions for you.

Elkbow
10-27-2006, 12:57 PM
I've found out this is a late 2004 model mower. I called 2 dealers and what each of them said it is worth varied by about $1500! Please give me your opinions.

Elkbow
10-27-2006, 09:25 PM
Comments? Anyone?

Lawnworks
10-27-2006, 10:33 PM
I would try to get it for about $2500. When somebody is in a difficult situation, I tell them what I am willing to put in there hand in 24 hours... but I also tell them that market value is probably more and if they sit on it or advertise it they could get more.

LarryF
10-28-2006, 08:49 AM
I would try to get it for about $2500. When somebody is in a difficult situation, I tell them what I am willing to put in there hand in 24 hours... but I also tell them that market value is probably more and if they sit on it or advertise it they could get more.

Too bad for her that someone doesn't tell her about LawnSite's Equipment & Parts Marketplace. It sounds like this machine must have cost her husband quite a bit more than $6,000, and it's hours are only what an LCO would put on it in a few weeks or even less. I suspect she's going to get ripped off, little doubt of that. The only question is by how much. I guess it's obvious that my sympathies are with the widow.

Lawnworks
10-28-2006, 10:30 AM
$6000 new and the average depreciation on a mower per year is $1500... so it is 2 years old and that would put it right at $3000.

I don't think it is ripping her off as long as you are honest w/ her... tell her it is worth a little more, but this is what I am willing to give right now... no hassle no worry.

Elkbow
10-28-2006, 10:44 AM
They are asking $4000, I hope to buy it for $3500. Is this a good deal? I had planned to buy a 50" to 60" Zero turn, but $3500 sure is better that $6000 to $7000 for a new Hustler. I won't be using this commercially, so if it takes me 15 mintues longer to mow my 1 1/4 acre, lot it's not a big deal.

LarryF
10-28-2006, 11:19 AM
$6000 new and the average depreciation on a mower per year is $1500... so it is 2 years old and that would put it right at $3000.

I don't think it is ripping her off as long as you are honest w/ her... tell her it is worth a little more, but this is what I am willing to give right now... no hassle no worry.

I don't really know what the price was in 2004, but based on my own purchase of a similar machine several years ago, I believe it must have quite a bit more than $6,000, which is the number I used earlier. It may have been even more than $7,000. And although it was purchased 2 years ago, it has less than 100 hours on it. I suspect that "average depreciation on a mower per year" of $1500 might apply for one used by and LCO, but not to this particular item. It's more than likely that its worth much more than $3000. I'm not able to quote a figure, but I suspect no one would be able to buy a mower like that with such few hours from an Exmark dealer for less than $5000, if any were to be available. Sorry Lawnworks, but it really sounds like a $3000 offer wouldn't be very fair to the widow. But on the other hand, since she doesn't know how to sell the mower and has no family members or friends to help her, I guess she's going to be out of luck and will have to essentially give it away for something like 3 grand. And she may not even get that much. A good deal for someone, but not the seller.

Elkbow
10-28-2006, 11:48 AM
The widow's son-in-law is who I am dealing with, and it is at his house. He has already turned down offers for $3000.

LarryF
10-28-2006, 12:40 PM
The widow's son-in-law is who I am dealing with, and it is at his house. He has already turned down offers for $3000.

I'm sure you're going to get a good bargain, no matter what you pay for it, and I suspect that will be somewhere around $4,000, maybe a little more or maybe a little less . I think you were very fortunate to have found it. The model number you quoted, by the way, indicates that it's not only a Lazer Z, it's also an HP.

Elkbow
10-28-2006, 08:09 PM
The model number you quoted, by the way, indicates that it's not only a Lazer Z, it's also an HP.

To be honest, I've not ridden an Exmark, and I really haven't studied them much. A new 50" to 60" Exmark (which is the size I had been shopping for) is just out of my price range, but I know from this site that they have a very good reputation and are a quality mower. What exactly is the difference between a Lazer Z and a Lazer Z HP? Why is the HP so much better?

LarryF
10-28-2006, 08:49 PM
To be honest, I've not ridden an Exmark, and I really haven't studied them much. A new 50" to 60" Exmark (which is the size I had been shopping for) is just out of my price range, but I know from this site that they have a very good reputation and are a quality mower. What exactly is the difference between a Lazer Z and a Lazer Z HP? Why is the HP so much better?

I wish I were qualified to expound on the various features of all the different Exmark ZTRs, but I'm not and won't even try. But if you click on the Exmark icon at top of this LawnSite page, you'll see the different ones listed. I don't know about the relative prices either, but I'm pretty sure for new machines, the Lazer HP goes for more than the CT and certainly more than the Phazer, both of which I believe to be also excellent ZTRs. And I'm skeptical it would be possible to get either of those used for $3,000 if they had only a hundred hours on them. Mine by the way is the Lazer HP, and one of the things that attracted before I got it was the claim to be compact design, because I have limited garage space for it. As as a matter of fact, it is shorter than the 48" 17-horse lawn tractor I had before the Exmark.

J&R Landscaping
10-28-2006, 10:13 PM
I would offer the seller $3600 and see what he says.

Elkbow
10-29-2006, 01:29 PM
I made the purchase this morning. Thanks for all your help.

Elkbow
10-29-2006, 01:38 PM
I would like to buy a new set of blades for this 44" mower. What blades do you recommend? I am mowing mostly weeds right now, but in the spring, I will be planting Bermuda grass seed. Also, I won't be mulching.

LarryF
10-29-2006, 02:10 PM
I would like to buy a new set of blades for this 44" mower. What blades do you recommend? I am mowing mostly weeds right now, but in the spring, I will be planting Bermuda grass seed. Also, I won't be mulching.
Not sure if that question was directed toward me, but I'm in the northeast and have no experience with Bermuda grass. Also, mine's a 52", so whatever I'm using wouldn't apply. But here's a couple of web sites that are good sources for blades for Exmarks

http://zacm.com/blade/exmark.htm

http://www.mowproducts.com/lawn-mower-blades/15-52-cut-deck/

I'm sure that with a little browsing, you'll find what you need.

Perhaps you ought to buy the mower first.

Elkbow
10-29-2006, 04:29 PM
I made the purchase this morning. Thanks for all your help.

I did buy it this morning.
Thanks

LarryF
10-29-2006, 09:50 PM
I did buy it this morning.
Thanks

Sorry! I didn't notice post #15. Was my estimate of what it would cost you close?

Good luck with it.

Elkbow
10-30-2006, 06:02 AM
Yep, you were pretty darn close!

LarryF
10-30-2006, 07:50 AM
Yep, you were pretty darn close!

Congratulations! Of the thousands of ZTRs that were purchased in this country this year, you probably got the best bargain of all of them. It might be that in the frame of mind the poor widow was in with the loss of her husband, she might not have been able to put her hands on any of the paperwork for the mower. But if that's the case, you can download both the owner's and parts manuals from the Exmark web site.

Elkbow
10-30-2006, 12:26 PM
I will download the manuals, thanks for the information. I found out the gentleman passed away about a year and a half ago. The mower has just been sitting, so she decided to sell it. It was her son who I actually bought it from.

Total.Lawn.Care
10-30-2006, 04:37 PM
Good luck with it. You can also get blades from Waco Landscape Company. You can call Travis at 866-753-2622 or you can look them up online at http://www.texasmowerparts.com/. I just ordered High-Lift Gator Blades from him and a TON of Edger Blades. Good prices and excellent customer service.

QualityLawnCare4u
10-31-2006, 01:02 AM
Elkbow, I'm glad that you finally stole, I mean bought you a exmark:laugh: That mower was worth more than what you paid for it. Enjoy! Some of the buyers on LS are cheaper than my clients or me:laugh: :laugh:

Elkbow
10-31-2006, 09:07 PM
WOW, for the first time in my life I got a really good deal on something!