PDA

View Full Version : RedMax 8001 break-in?

Envy Lawn Service
10-26-2006, 11:49 PM
Hey, you guys that have the 8000's... how long before these engines get really broken in good for everything to be up to full power? Like how many hours or tanks of fuel?

jlbf0786
10-27-2006, 12:22 AM
Hey, you guys that have the 8000's... how long before these engines get really broken in good for everything to be up to full power? Like how many hours or tanks of fuel?

I got mine back in Feb. of this year, so i'd say its got somewhere close to 50 hrs on it...maybe a little less. But I have noticed a power increase for about 2
months now! I figured it probably got broke in really well somewhere around 30 hrs or so.

ps: where are you guys located in NC?

rodfather
10-27-2006, 07:20 AM
Envy, we have 5 of them. I never really noticed a "break in point" in any of them. All of them seemed to run like the dickens right out of the gate IMO.

lawnguyland
10-27-2006, 07:25 AM
I also did not notice a break in period, though this does not mean there isn't one.

I have noticed that there have been no electric eels living in my blower and shocking me this season so far (knock wood).

I think Richard Martin mentioned something about static elec and air movement in a thread last year, maybe it's been more humid.

Envy Lawn Service
10-27-2006, 09:46 AM
Hummm..... ???:confused:

Well, looks like the rain is starting to slack off some.
Might go see about racking up some more engine hours.

Envy Lawn Service
10-27-2006, 09:17 PM
Well, I didn't get in enough run time in the wet to tell anything about that.

I might just do one or two jobs tomorrow just to see because there's been plenty of rain.
Don't know rather I will for sure or not. Just depends on rather I want to tomorrow.

This 8001 is a big improvement over the 8000 'design and build wise'.
I'm just not feeling amazed by it's blowing power yet.

Don't get me wrong, it's a top-tier blower for sure.
But frankly I was expecting more... something over the top...
Something "wow" beyond the BR600 and PB-751.

So far I'm not seeing that for the most part.
Well, except it blows such a wide swath...
And it IS amazing on big leaves and "wow" on big piles once they build up.

Also, the engine seems to make amazing power. I mean you can feel it twist/rock on your back... like the feel you get in a muscle car when you rev a big-block V-8.

dcondon
10-27-2006, 09:24 PM
Wrikens 8000 broke down again yesterday and he went and bought a new br600. I don't think it has as much power but it sure is comfortable and easy to use.

brothers lawn care
10-27-2006, 09:30 PM
i just got a 7001 figured in florida we dont blow leaves or do clean ups to the scale you guy's up north do but i got plenty of power with mine 62cc's of roaring 2 cycle , but i have about only 5 hrs on it as of yesterday... but its awsome...dethacher lol

lawnspecialties
10-27-2006, 09:31 PM
....ps: where are you guys located in NC?

Just outside Raleigh here.

I've had two 8000's and neither one got a real "break-in". As with all my handhelds, I just always let each one warm-up for a minute or so and then let'er rip. I have two-stroke stuff that have over five years hard use and they still have excellent power and plenty of compression. :)

Envy Lawn Service
10-27-2006, 09:53 PM
JI've had two 8000's and neither one got a real "break-in". As with all my handhelds, I just always let each one warm-up for a minute or so and then let'er rip.

What I'm meaning is that some engines are fuel sucking slugs on power at first.
Once the break in they really pick up in power and ease up on fuel.

So what I was getting at is rather or not this big engine gets stronger or not.
Some don't seem to 'power-up' after some hours, some do.

Envy Lawn Service
10-27-2006, 09:58 PM
Wrikens 8000 broke down again yesterday and he went and bought a new br600. I don't think it has as much power but it sure is comfortable and easy to use.

I feel more confident in the 8001's. Many improvements have been made.

The BR600 is a great choice though.
Lighter, quieter, and tighter to the body.

Nothing wrong with them at all in my opinion.
I'm just basically 'spreading my risk' if you understand what I am saying.
I've had good service with Stihl... just didn't want all 4-mix engines just yet.

You'll really like the BR600 when you are walking around in tight places.
I know I do... much easier to get around with it than the bulky backpacks.

Envy Lawn Service
10-31-2006, 12:39 AM
Well...

I'm starting to pick up a little boost in performance now. I noticed it most on the last job I did for the day. This was a hard job, and as I've posted before, the harder the job the more these 8001's seem to shine at what they do.

I finished up under street lights. But I've gotta go back and find a big piece of driftwood.... if that tells you anything. I never even noticed I blew it away into the leaf pile.

These really seem to show their best once you get a big pile going. You can work up a pile the size of a volkswagon and it just keeps pushin..... It just rolls the pile like an ocean wave.

MMLawn
11-03-2006, 08:38 PM
Alright ENVY, if this doesn't work out it is your fault!

We needed to add a couple more blowers and I WAS going to go with the BR600 because even though I have Redmax trimmers I am not a big fan of them and think they are overrated power wise, BUT at the last minute I decided to try the new Redmax 8001's........and since I always support/buy equipment from my local dealers even the the net is cheaper YOU owe me $1,134.18 if I don't like them or their power..... :laugh: :laugh:

wriken
11-03-2006, 09:05 PM

We needed to add a couple more blowers and I WAS going to go with the BR600 because even though I have Redmax trimmers I am not a big fan of them and think they are overrated power wise, BUT at the last minute I decided to try the new Redmax 8001's........and since I always support/buy equipment from my local dealers even the the net is cheaper YOU owe me $1,134.18 if I don't like them or their power..... :laugh: :laugh:
My dealer/Stihl, just bought my 600 back, I went and ordered a 8001, got it for 484.50 shipped to me. I was looking for a shin 8510, called 3 dealers, they were all out, one guy wanted to sell me a 630, for 499.00, rather then that I decided to go with a proven winner.

lawnspecialties
11-03-2006, 09:15 PM
Both my 8000's were always pretty consistent with power. The only variable I know of is how every time I start the unit and let it warm up a little, it takes 3-4 seconds of strong throttle to do what appears to be "burning" off the plug and then it seems to hit something similar to a powerband. Sort of like two-stroke motorcycle engines. You know how the plug seems to gum up a little and when you get on it, the plug burns clean, it hits the powerband, and ZOOOOOOM!

As for reduced fuel consumption, I'm still waiting on that to happen.:laugh: That much power has to come from somewhere.payup

dcondon
11-03-2006, 09:20 PM
Both my 8000's were always pretty consistent with power. The only variable I know of is how every time I start the unit and let it warm up a little, it takes 3-4 seconds of strong throttle to do what appears to be "burning" off the plug and then it seems to hit something similar to a powerband. Sort of like two-stroke motorcycle engines. You know how the plug seems to gum up a little and when you get on it, the plug burns clean, it hits the powerband, and ZOOOOOOM!

As for reduced fuel consumption, I'm still waiting on that to happen.:laugh: That much power has to come from somewhere.payup

Ours does the same thing. Just give it a few secs and your in business!!!

Envy Lawn Service
11-04-2006, 12:34 AM

Funny you should mention that because my first impression of the ENGINE was WOW... this is like having a Honda CR80 engine ride me instead of the other way around.

Envy Lawn Service
11-04-2006, 12:54 AM

Yeah, I got mine through a local dealer too.
Coulda saved a bunch buying from one of our sponsors.
Oh well.

Anyways, be forewarned... when you first take these out to run them, or send them out with your guys... the first impression is going to be "big whoop"! I changed brands, paid more and have to carry this extra weight for that?

I know that's the way I felt... in an extreme way... early on.
But they really do pick up in power with some use.

This is no kidding... today I cranked mine on the tailgate of my truck after refueling. I had the tubes off because I was using it to blow out in some tight places... and no lie, at idle with no tubes it picked up all my leather gloves and pinned them up against the upper portion of my front bed wall.