PDA

View Full Version : Update 2

Gravel Rat
10-27-2006, 02:18 AM
Talking with dad again today he said buy a tandem axle dump and be done with it. License the truck when you have work for it and haul with it.

I know where I can find two W-900A Kenworths one is Cummins power one is Cat they are both similar in price around 15,000. If a guy financed the truck through the bank for 400 a month the insurance would be about 250 a month. I would have to work the truck 16 hours a month (1200 dollars) to pay for fuel truck payment and some of my wage.

The work in this area pretty well goes all year round so there is no real stoppage for snow. Its not like if I buy a truck and it will sit all winter till the ground thaws :laugh:

I would have to buy the truck now so I get my name out there and when the work really starts happening my name is spread around contractors know who else to phone. The excavation contractors get so busy with their excavation jobs home owners and building contractors get put on hold they don't have time to send a truck off of their job to go get a load of sand etc.

I may not be making any money with the tandem for two months but if I can make insurance and truck payment with enough work from the truck is it a wise idea ?

Once the area starts rolling again then the truck will start making me money and should technically pay for itself in 6 months to a year.

Do you guys think this is a better move :)

If I want to do this I have to decide do I want a Kenworth W-900A tough old trucks but they definatly not tight spot trucks they need acres of room to turn. It will limit some of the places I can go into but that might be a good thing. Do I go with a L-9000 Ford perfect tight spot truck can go any where but the old Fords really are not as durable as the old KWs. That decision I can make on my own I just have to weigh the pros and cons. I learned on old Ford trucks I know where the old Fords can go I also know how frustrating working on a old Ford can be.

Scag48
10-27-2006, 02:28 AM
I drove a W900 around a site this summer, they're not that bad on turning? For the price, you can't really be too picky.

Gravel Rat
10-27-2006, 02:42 AM
The price is right and I do like the old A models they are a classic old truck the same model as the old brown KW in smokey and the bandit. The Kenworths have 230 wheelbase they both have 425/65R22.5 super single steers. The old A models are not known for their turning radius one of contractors has one the sucker has a wheel cut of 10 degrees :laugh:

The toughness of the old KWs is what I like the cabs are built stronger the engines are easier to work on because its all infront of the firewall where as the Ford is half under the cab. If want a Ford I pretty well need to look at 86 or newer to get away from the rust the old Ford cabs rust out bad.

I don't mind a little bit of a fixer upper I can do most work myself if the truck needs paint and cleaning not a problem. The biggest thing is the truck needs to beable to pass a CVI if its not certified I'am not buying it.

qps
10-27-2006, 08:01 AM
GR, if you spent as much time and enegry on just doing it instead of over thinking everything you would already be retired:laugh: ..just saying most people will "what if" themselves forever...heck I quit a secure job of 20 years to go into the landscaping business 6 years ago and how have spent over
100k the last 3 years on excavating equipment in "hopes" of getting to the next level.......just do it so we can argure over CASE vs CAT equipment again:usflag:

Gravel Rat
10-27-2006, 04:50 PM
My gov't job I'am at I have another year and abit to go and I will have a full time job. Everybody says go for it, its a "Gov't Job" "Set for life" well this isn't the 70s and 80s anymore working for the government really isn't that great. People say oh you must make good money no I don't the money I make per year and I make just as much as a full timer. On our wage we just make enough to pay the 700-1000 per month in rent and living expenses.

All the employees I work with really don't like the job because of the management is riding on us all the time. Nag Nag they won't let us do our job without nit picking. Years ago when some of the guys started it was good but not now most of them are sticking it out for their pension and once their day comes they are gone in a shot.

So I'am looking at different ideas I can't see myself sticking it out with them because the cost of living is getting higher and higher and our wages are way behind the times. If I do stick with them I need to have a part time job on the side.

If the construction and land developing picks up again then I won't have any worries but if the developing in the area has stopped for another 10 years then :confused:

Ohwell you never know till you take risks. I know I can probably get enough work for for a tandem axle dump as I'am not biased to any contractor.

murray83
10-27-2006, 05:33 PM
You know the tandem dump sounds like a better buisness plan and also opens the door to expansion say an excavator and such in the future.

I never really thought much for the rubbish removal idea myself.

qps
10-27-2006, 06:20 PM
My gov't job I'am at I have another year and abit to go and I will have a full time job. Everybody says go for it, its a "Gov't Job" "Set for life" well this isn't the 70s and 80s anymore working for the government really isn't that great. People say oh you must make good money no I don't the money I make per year and I make just as much as a full timer. On our wage we just make enough to pay the 700-1000 per month in rent and living expenses.

All the employees I work with really don't like the job because of the management is riding on us all the time. Nag Nag they won't let us do our job without nit picking. Years ago when some of the guys started it was good but not now most of them are sticking it out for their pension and once their day comes they are gone in a shot.

So I'am looking at different ideas I can't see myself sticking it out with them because the cost of living is getting higher and higher and our wages are way behind the times. If I do stick with them I need to have a part time job on the side.

If the construction and land developing picks up again then I won't have any worries but if the developing in the area has stopped for another 10 years then :confused:

Ohwell you never know till you take risks. I know I can probably get enough work for for a tandem axle dump as I'am not biased to any contractor.

Maybe get a truck and run it part time for awhile, but thats hard too...when a contractor needs something he wants to pick up the phone and have it there....:dizzy:

xcopterdoc
10-27-2006, 09:00 PM
Don't forget tires, repair costs and lost wages due to breakdowns ect. if it aint workin, you aint collectin. Not to dampen your dream, but no one I know that is running a single owner/operated dump truck is making any money right now. Costs are up and everyone has one so its cut throat now a days.

Gravel Rat
10-27-2006, 10:17 PM
No cut throating goes on here if it does happen the contractor is run out of town. All the contractors have enough work that they are not going to undercut their competition. Everybody get along the rates for trucking are all kept the same.

As for repairs I know all about them I have been pulling wrenches for years I know dump trucks can be maintenace pigs. Tires are the most expensive part of the game because they get damaged easily. If you are carefull you can get a full 6 months to a year out a set of drives. Greasing the truck every day helps keep things working good. Changing oil and filters on a regular basis keeps the engine from dying a early death.

I can work around my schedule at my other job when I'am on AM shift I'am done at 1pm and on afternoon shift I start at 3pm. If I get allot of work for the truck I can find a driver for the truck otherwise I would be the driver.

Most of the time I know my work schedule a week ahead I actually know my whole work shedule for November.

Like I meantioned if I can get enough work to pay for the payment and insurance each month then when spring rolls around I'am already to go. Usually when a large job shows up and a contractor needs allot of trucks its quick.

ksss
10-27-2006, 11:05 PM
Sounds like you have it figured out. So go to it before you change your mind.

Gravel Rat
10-27-2006, 11:41 PM
I doubt I'am going to change my mind :laugh:

After finding out prices for dump boxes to fit 1.5-2 ton trucks and the price of new 450-550 trucks I'am a little sticker shocked. I wouldn't get enough work to make the truck pay.

I will try get a tandem axle dump on the road see if I can make a go at it. Atleast with the tandem a person can get jobs hauling all day and the truck will make money. I didn't want to go to a tandem because there are already so many in the area but we will see if the market will support another one.

Some of the benefits I will have is I know quite a few contractors and the contractors know my familly. I know the landscapers in the area and quite a few old timers in the area know me.

janb
10-29-2006, 01:31 AM
Sounds like you have it figured out. So go to it before you change your mind.

I agree (then maybe I can take your job offer in 'Rigby'):) I'm totally tired of 300 days of rain / yr and planning to head back to Mtn states when I graduate in May.

BTW... Keep the Government job and find a nice quiet shift (fewest managers / meetings + most available time for best paying 'side-job') and a position to just do your job and let the bosses rant. For most gov / factory jobs, you can go to work tired and handle it fine, save your good hrs for something you enjoy. Maybe you will find a good boss in the gov job, that will trust you and just leave you alone. (that's why I worked nights for 30 yrs)

Have fun with the new (used) Kenworth,
now - go buy that thing and get to work!, you're burning daylight (& plentiful youth energy)

2109 Stang
10-29-2006, 12:03 PM
GR I own a small dump truck business with two trucks and a skid steer ,I've been in this for 20 year and on my own for 11 years ,I don't want to sound discouraging ,but this is a serious business I haven't seen anybody doing this part time and making it ,the part timers that I,ve known throughout my career
has been retirees with plenty of cash ,that have kept a truck basically for fun ,with this in mind and all the connections that you have I would recommend you to go full time ,tires are the second largest expense on a truck ,to give you an idea my trucks run around 10,000 miles a month each and my fuel bill is right around $8,000 ,that is monthly and I drive one of the trucks to help cover some of the expenses on the other truck ,if i have two drivers I'll be out of business ,there is a lot about trucking to have into consideration ,but if I have made it you would too ,I like many others have started with out any contracts or jobs at all ,an have been able to feed my kids and put a roof aver my head , I do remember going from door to door leaving business cards ,my wife driving and me walking all over the neighborhoods and boy am not rich but I make a lot more than working for sombody else and I have never work for a broker either ,so I hope this gives you the little extra courage to go for it or throw the towel before you spend your mony on a land boat that if you work it hard and pay close attention you can make a half decent and honest living .Ed

Gravel Rat
10-29-2006, 04:26 PM
I will go full time if this works out if it doesn't I will sell the truck. My mom and dads property needs developing and we need to haul lots of material and move material around. To modify one of the roads on the property is probably going to take 100 truck loads that is 8000 dollars worth of trucking if we hired it out. To haul loads of boulders to the property to build walls to bench the property would be another 10 loads atleast. Blast rock usually is 1000lb chunks of square and rectangular shaped rock. Then material to backfill and flatten areas another 50 or more loads. Get the property developed and sell the truck may keep the truck if its paid for itself.

When you live in rural parts on the West Coast of B.C. most properties don't have much natural soil on them if you need dirt you need to go to gravel mines or people that have excess fill you can buy it off of them. To put a lawn in your back yard usually takes 2-3 tandem loads of sand gravel and topsoil.

One of the subdivisions in the area took 18,000 yards of material just to get the road base put in to get it ready for paving. They probably took another 5000 yards or more for pipe bedding. There was 4 to 5 trucks hauling 8 hours a day 5-6 days a week they must have hauled for 2 months straight. If I had a truck I could have put one on that job it would have almost paid for itself in the 2 months. The trucks I'am looking at are 20-25,000 dollars in price range usually the need some work but I can do all that.

If the subdivision starts selling and the developing does happen each one of those lots is going to need loads after loads of gravel and topsoil. One good thing is my familly knows the developers so not a problem getting work out of the site. The money has stopped flowing around the area it seems like the speeding along local economy car has had the E brake pulled on.

Like I said if I get a truck now and see what happens in early 2007 hopefully it picks up if not these developers are going to be looking at some major debt because there is allot of money being spent but not much return on the investment. The banks are probably getting a little worried too they have loaned out a bunch of money if the developers go bust and have to claim bankruptsy the banks will have a hard time getting the money out of the property.

Right now property prices have gotten so high if you don't make 100 grand a year your not buying anything. Even after all the developing is done in the area I may not beable to afford to live here. Pretty tough for a single person to make 100 grand a year :laugh:

B.C. already has a big homeless problem if things continue the way they are going there will be thousands of people like me living on the streets in cardboard boxes. Its pretty hard to compete with Albertans who will spend million dollars like nothing. In Fort McMurray for example guys are making 18 grand a week in the pipelines. McDonald employees are making 15 dollars per hour flipping burgers.

In Kelowna B.C. there is tons of work there but no places to live Albertan and baby boomers are buying up recreational property. Seen on the news the construction workers are living in camp grounds in tents at 400 dollars per month. They can't afford the rent there because its so high and no places to rent.

I don't want to see that happen here but I want to see the work. If the wages went up so the people building these house could afford their own house it would be fine. A average framing carpenter only makes 15-20 per hour no way you could buy a house here on that kind of wage.

Construct'O
10-29-2006, 08:37 PM
Gr
Make sure you get a truck with a sleeper,dump combo! Just in case!

Gravel Rat
10-30-2006, 03:09 AM
I have no worries yet of finding a place to stay but I do know that I probably will never buy a house in this area where I have lived for 29 years. I'am not the only one in the same boat the younger generation is slowly being forced out. The area is turning into for only the rich and retired I guess when the grocery stores and restaurants close down because there isn't anybody to work in them things might change. Right now the people that work in the service jobs are just surviving. If you make 10 dollars per hour thats below the poverty line. To live on that you would have to share a house with 3-4 people you don't have a night life you eat bread and water.

Wouldn't it be the way today I'am back to work with the gov't and the :realmad: steering in my truck decides to be frustrating. There is a sticky valve or something in the steering box I forget the name of the valve. It has been good for 2 weeks now but soon as I need the truck the most the valve is sticking and the steering is locking up and fighting me all the way to work :angry:

I got to get rid of this truck it must have been built on a monday I feel sorry for the person that owned the truck before me they must have had problems with it. The truck used to be a tow truck so its been abused the steering wheel covering has worn back and starting to peal off from the wheel being palmed. I never seen a steering wheel so worn like that.

My plan is to buy a good used tandem axle my main priority my next priority is to find a F-350 4x4. I'am going to go back to a F-350 for a work truck I'am going to try find a F-350 4x4 161wb cab and chassis and put a 11' dumping flatdeck on it for my light jobs I do. If I'am not going to haul dirt I don't need a F-450 or F-550 a F-350 can handle my rubbish removal jobs. I will keep doing the construction site clean up and rubbish removal its good work. The rubbish removal like cleaning out basements is easy money and sometimes you can salvage some pretty good stuff.

I need a 4x4 for the rubbish removal jobs as I go down these driveways that have never seen a larger vehical down in years. Also if I get into the excavation you should have a 4wheeldrive truck for newly developed land where the ground is still soft.

I have a new hoist and I have a line on a good used box it will work on a F-350 so I might aswell put a truck together. I do have to start phoning the dealers that have the A model Kenworths I'am looking at.

Pave_A_Lot
10-31-2006, 09:25 PM
Get the truck. when your not using it lease it to somebody, there's a shortage of dumps in many Areas (don't know about BC) most guys in the states wouldnt think twice to pay $75+/hour when there short a truck
also when you get your truck tagged you can say your truck is for hire that will allow you get get an LC # and that makes tagging alot cheaper

Gravel Rat
11-01-2006, 03:16 AM
Its not worth it renting out a truck usually it gets damaged. I'am already a legal trucking company I have to keep all my paper work etc. I don't think there will be a shortage of wood if the construction market in the area picks up which I think allot of people hope so especially the developers.

Scag48
11-01-2006, 02:14 PM
Renting out a truck or any piece of equipment is a bad idea. I told my old man we should never do it and about 2 months after we bought our 303CR he rented it to a local contractor who we work with for $150 for 4 hours. About what the rental store would charge, but when the machine came back it was all scratched up, he must have been swinging the machine into bushes as it was scarred from side to side. He also broke the instrument cluster plastic cover. This was minor damage, but you can only imagine what some goof would do to a machine.