PDA

View Full Version : Hoooooray for Jack Frost!

lawnguyland
10-27-2006, 08:21 AM
Jack Frost came to visit last night and that is a good thing. This means the lawns will slow or stop growing and the leaves will fall faster! After the coastal storm this weekend there will be leaves everywhere next week. Why so happy? Becasue the earlier the leaves are done falling the earlier we can all finish our fall clean-ups. Sweeet. The last few years have been a little late with snow then falling in early Dec. I love being done done done before Christmas.
Like the 'dead' guy in the cart in 'The Holy Grail'- "I feel happy!"

I now open the floor to comments, questions, and of course- criticisms.

Jpocket
10-27-2006, 09:24 AM
I feel the same way. We were out last year until January, after the snow fell.
I just hate when the season drags on like that b/c i don't bring in any sustantail amout of revenue after November, so I really just don't want to be bothered, with the cold weather unless im behind the wheel in a blizzard.

lawnguyland
10-27-2006, 02:34 PM
Really? Little income after nov? December is huge for me because I bill for all the fall clean-ups then. In november I charge weekly, usually 3 weeks and then after Thanksgiving it's final fall clean-ups. I'm zone 7 though so you may have a shorter seaon.
And yeah, cleaning frozen leaves in Jan is the pits. I don't want to think about clean-ups I have to do during Christmas and New Year's . Don't care if it snows though, more $ for me!

rodfather
10-27-2006, 04:42 PM
Leaves + Snow = Big Time $$$ :clapping:

metro36
10-27-2006, 06:40 PM
Is it your first frost? Out here is was about our 4. May be we had more than that. I just got in from mowing my neighbors lawn and I noticed a lot of leaves had fallen. For me cleanup + mowing + leaves = payup payup payup

lawnguyland
10-27-2006, 06:44 PM
Yes, first frosty day..mmmmmmm, frosties. I'm probably a lot closer to the city and it's vast amount of radation storing concrete. Nassau queens border. Even last night's frost wasn't too hard and only showed damage to certain annuals in exposed locations.

rodfather
10-27-2006, 06:47 PM
We had a real hard frost this am...needed the scrapers for the windshields. My guys couldn't get on a lawn before 9.

grass disaster
10-27-2006, 07:00 PM
We had a real hard frost this am...needed the scrapers for the windshields. My guys couldn't get on a lawn before 9.

why couldn't you mow when it was frozen?

serious question.

rodfather
10-27-2006, 07:09 PM
If you run any kind of equipment across grass that has frost on it, you kill it...period.

grass disaster
10-27-2006, 07:17 PM
If you run any kind of equipment across grass that has frost on it, you kill it...period.

whoops.

i cut a whole bunch of it 2 weeks ago.

seems to be diong fine yet

rodfather
10-27-2006, 07:19 PM
whoops.

i cut a whole bunch of it 2 weeks ago.

seems to be diong fine yet

wait and see...you''ll see the dead stuff where the tires ran over it. :nono:

paponte
10-27-2006, 09:52 PM
It's like when you see foot prints in your lawn from the mail man. Your actually "breaking" the grass. My guys went out this morning, I ended up calling them back in. Got everything all set up for cleanups and worked on plows and sanders. :)

downtown
10-28-2006, 12:12 AM
I used to work at a golf course. NO equipment or golf carts ever went out with frost on the ground. HUGE NO-NO!

rodfather is giving you excellent advice. I had to wait until AFTER 10 AM for all the frost to be gone today. Two lawns cleaned instead of four. #@#^@#!!! :dizzy:

lawnguyland
10-28-2006, 09:23 AM
It's true, no equip on frosty lawns.
However, I did one with light frost on it this am. Since it was a light frost the lawn should be fine. I say this because I do not believe the crowns were forsted, only the tips of the blades -so it should be ok- I hope! The soil is still quite warm too.

kandplawns
10-28-2006, 01:30 PM
Your grass is tuff in Minnesota, I was up there for a while, I guess anywhere it drops to -30 regularly in the winter you can get away with a little frost cutting, same thing here in the Detroit area though, we can cut any type of grass with frost (or at least I have) and it also seemed a-ok. How bout those Tigers? What a joke that was last night.

kandplawns
10-28-2006, 01:33 PM
Probably no equipment goes on the golf course because the course is wet and they do not want to tear up the fairways, but if your good you know when and when not to go on peoples lawns with your equipment. We did some cemeteires, so we got one of them John Deer Z tracs or what ever they are called, with the roll bar and everything, we try to use that on our lawns as well, but is is a big pain when it is wet becuase that things weighs so much.