PDA

View Full Version : Used Hustler Z 52" with a blown engine..is it worth $1600???

WJW Lawn
10-27-2006, 01:10 PM
I talked to a guy who wants to sell his 52" Hustler Z. He told me...he left the oil cap off...burned the oil up...threw a rod I guess. So...he has a busted 23hp Kawasaki. The unit has 1200 hours on it....and he wants $1600? Now...I could be way off here....but I had a car a long time ago...that threw a rod... and at the time the bluebook was 3K on it....but no one would pay over 500 for it...with a blown engine. The engine could be replaced for a grand.
You guys think that Hustler with a blown engine is worth 1600?? I havent looked but I think a new 23hp Kawasaki would run about a grand. Just curious on your thoughts??

WJW Lawn
10-27-2006, 02:20 PM
Basically he wants me to make an offer. What would you guys offer? Or would ya even touch it??

robbo521
10-27-2006, 02:54 PM
depending on the year i might give 1000 but not 1600.

surgeon83
10-27-2006, 02:56 PM
Well I figure that the cost of a new 23hp kawasaki plus labor would be roughly $1500 (some extra for hassle), so would you be willing to spend $3100 on a mower with 1200 hours but a bran new engine? Its also hard to tell what else might be wrong, since you can't really test drive it. I think there is one just like that on ebay for $2800- with a blown engine! That one seems high for sure.

WJW Lawn
10-27-2006, 03:00 PM
Honestly...I dont think Id give him more than 500 for it...lol Maybe that's offensive...but lets face it...who knows about this thing.

lawnspecialties
10-27-2006, 03:31 PM
He has it on craigslist. Whew, she looks like she's been rode pretty hard but they are tough machines.

WJW Lawn
10-27-2006, 03:43 PM
He has it on craigslist. Whew, she looks like she's been rode pretty hard but they are tough machines.

Yep...thats the one. I was thinkin the same thing!

WJW Lawn
10-27-2006, 04:12 PM
Here it is....maybe 300? lol

huh
10-27-2006, 04:33 PM
take it from someone that is hard on equipment

that thing is beat to hell.....how do you get mud all the way up on the rims....i will tell you....mud bogging

and the mud CAKED on the deck.....from pushing the damn thing in the MUD then getting on it with muddy boots and not even caring....possibly even scraping your boots off on it

gas tank all spilled on.....from not caring...EVERY DAY that you just wasted gas all over your mower

grease all over the thing.....probably from not greasing it for a year then thinking "i will just put 2X as much to make up for it....and it will not need it again forever!"

the only part in decent shape is where the lazy ass goes

that thing looks to me like it burned up trying to drive the hell out of it to get it unstuck.....who knows what else is burned up

rodfather
10-27-2006, 04:58 PM
After seeing that pic, I wouldn't give it a second chance...I'd walk unless it was free.

robbo521
10-27-2006, 05:09 PM
well seeing it now i wouldnt give more than 250 for it.

grass disaster
10-27-2006, 05:12 PM
i'd give $100

sell it for steel scrap. not worth the stress. i'd rather beat my face against the wall.:cool2:

rodfather
10-27-2006, 05:13 PM
it would make a great boat anchor :laugh:

Jpocket
10-27-2006, 05:19 PM
I'd give him $500 easy....that would be a decent back-up machine for someone who knows how to work on their equipment. Trust me i have a few mowers that run on my crew everyday that where brought back from the dead.

It's just a matter of "can you work on it", if not i would walk away.

Total.Lawn.Care
10-27-2006, 05:51 PM
Not worth $1600. I kinda agree with the $500. With 1200 hrs, you never know about the Hydros, and you gotta clean it up to be able to tell anything about the deck and the castors. I will also bet it is in need af some new belts, and the electrical relays and PTO Clutch would be questionable to me.

As said, if you can work on it, $500 might not be bad, otherwise, I would leave it. Just don't know what kind of money pit it might be until you invest in another engine and get it running.

JimP
10-27-2006, 06:06 PM
I paid $600.00 for a 2001 Bob-Cat ZT225 with a 61" deck that had a rod thrown. I purchased a new 25 hp motor with a 2 year factory warranty for $875.00. My mower looks much better than that one and now mows great.

afftandem
10-27-2006, 07:45 PM
I would give him $500 in a heartbeat. I would walk away at $501.

WildWest
10-27-2006, 07:58 PM
1600.00 ONLY if the dirt is included!

Good grief! WARSH the durn thing before you post pictures of it.

Hey, ...This isn't the same mower that was stuck in the septic, is it? LOL

Check the oil filter, see if there is a date written on it or if it looks older than the mower it's
self.

Shady Brook
10-27-2006, 09:41 PM
I don't know, but this time of year my mowers come home pretty filthy. Sure it would look better with a bath, be that as it may, it might be ok. It would be more reasureing if we knew how the guy was with maintenance. If I could get a motor for under a grand, I would buy it for $1500. I just bought a 27 Kohler and it cost over $2000 for the motor alone! I don't think $2500 bucks for a mower with a new motor and two year warranty is unreasonable, but that is just me. Hustler mowers are pretty tough!

sicnj
10-27-2006, 10:49 PM
Maintenance we obviously know he does not do that he can't even remember to put the oil cap back on, or realize there is oil splurging out all over him looking at the pic he probably ran it off of curbs

Idealtim
10-27-2006, 10:54 PM
I would offer $1000 if I could find a motor for $1500 or under(I am confident that ebay has one with my name on it for half that). Anyone who has eyes could tell you that this thing is dirty, and will assume that it is beat to death based upon apperance. When in reallity, a machine can get that dirty after one deep rut or getting stuck once, it happens to all of us. now my offer of a grand is pretty empty based upon one pic. Going up to it in person, shaking the spindles, pullies, and just general tinkering, could tell me within $50 what ANYONE should pay for this hustler.

captken
10-27-2006, 10:56 PM
Really contrast dirt, grease, grass stains ect. Put a new engine in her and run it.

WildWest
10-27-2006, 11:17 PM
BTW, about the dirt... allI was getting at was, if you're gonna sell something, at least make it look presentable.

Envy Lawn Service
10-27-2006, 11:24 PM
I'm thinking it might have taken a SWIM.

That aside though, even if the guy had made it sparkling clean, the fact that the engine is already off of it makes me nervous. I mean I know some will dump a machine in a heartbeat before going to the trouble of an engine swap. These people usually don't give up mid-stream after removing the engine. Not unless it really whipped them good.

I'd want to know "how" the engine removal came about.

I might go a few hundred on it as-is as a gamble on everything else, or as a parts machine if I had another like it. But no way $1,600. It could need a hydro system and lots of bearings too.

HenryB
10-27-2006, 11:29 PM
Good points Envy!

captken
10-27-2006, 11:30 PM
I'm thinking it might have taken a SWIM.

That aside though, even if the guy had made it sparkling clean, the fact that the engine is already off of it makes me nervous. It could need a hydro system and lots of bearings too.
Hey, mine took a swim once....besides....how in the He... do you know? Thats stupid...
The machine looks pretty good. Yellow paint doesn't hide anything. The fact that the engine is already off of it makes me wonder if he can afford a new engine.....probably didn't take care of what he had...you never know...
The hydro system is seperate from the engine and can easily be checked out. For the price of a new Kawasaki engine, someone might have a bargain, or at least an entry level introduction to one of the best machines out there.
kenny.

ps, the reason I'm not on this forum much now days, I'm too busy making a living with my...Hustler mowers!

Rons Rightway Lawncare
10-27-2006, 11:41 PM
you guys are crazy! lol

This is a steal... Put a new engine on it for under a grand, and even if you had to replace all the bearings in the spindles and some or all of the hydro system it is still a good buy.

It is funny how so many are quick to say someone elses stuff is worthless, but I bet all of you guys would want top dollar for your used stuff!

How bad could the mower be beat up? Really, I would go over with 1200-1500$ and if the hydros checked out and the spindles and so on were tight, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Remember a mower is only a collection of parts all bolted together to make a mower. Your buying parts... find out if the parts that are there are any good and go buy the thing!

huh
10-27-2006, 11:54 PM
you guys are crazy! lol

This is a steal... Put a new engine on it for under a grand, and even if you had to replace all the bearings in the spindles and some or all of the hydro system it is still a good buy.

It is funny how so many are quick to say someone elses stuff is worthless, but I bet all of you guys would want top dollar for your used stuff!

How bad could the mower be beat up? Really, I would go over with 1200-1500$ and if the hydros checked out and the spindles and so on were tight, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Remember a mower is only a collection of parts all bolted together to make a mower. Your buying parts... find out if the parts that are there are any good and go buy the thing!

would you buy a plane that looked like that for 33% of the price....it is just a bunch of bolts right!!!

if you answer yes to this you are crazy and your flying days will be short

Rons Rightway Lawncare
10-28-2006, 12:11 AM
Surprise suprise.... Airplanes are often crashed or broken and they get repaired and fly again. Yeah I would buy a airplane that needs work if the price is right and I want one.

Do you know that most of the small planes you see on the tarmac at the local airport are 30-50 years old and have Thousands upon thousands of hours on them???

One of the most popular airplanes, Piper Cubs, were built back in the 1930's to late 1940's. Today there are still tons of them flying. Alot of these older planes were rebuilt out of old abused abandoned planes that sat off to the side rotting away. Again, it IS just nuts and bolts and a collection of parts, know what your looking at and go look at it and if it is worth it, buy it!

Envy Lawn Service
10-28-2006, 12:12 AM
Look... I was just suggesting that mud could be from the bottom of a lake/river.

Who knows one way or the other?

With no running engine on the machine, you can't verify the hydro system is good.

With no engine, it could be the hydros went and he decided to salvage the engine and let the rest go. How can you know? Where is "said" blown engine?

$1,600 is a lot for a box of chocolates... and I would tell the guy that.
You have to assume you are getting a frame and deck.
$1,600 is too much in my opinion.

For a few hundred, I'd gamble on the hydros just for a project base because I like that frame. Bye-bye deck, bye-bye rear tires and wheels, bye-bye crap seat... ect... in fact I'd love to have it for that.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
10-28-2006, 12:21 AM
And I looked at the photo of this mower....

1. The tank is faded - gosh all mighty!!!! Ever seen a used exmark mower that didn't have faded tanks? -

2. The mower is dirty - again, so what.... I have easily gotten mine way dirtier than that just on one wet lawn. It is Dirt!!!! it will wash right off!!!

3. I do not see any grease anywhere on it like so many others here have claimed. I do see where some engine oil may have spilled on the engine deck and dust collected on that. Again no big deal, it washes right off, and anyone who has changed a oil filter on one of these engines knows it is all but impossible not to spill a little oil on the deck.

I will tell you what I do see...

1. Good tire thread - shows me he didn't abuse it too hard or at least had new tires put on it.

2. Hardware I can see looks still Golden, this means it hasn't been too weathered and or cleaned with harsh chemicals

3. Nothing appears to be bent, Again a abused mower would normally have bent up discharge area, or bent anti scalp roller brackets

4. the paint on the mower and rear rim looks to be in good shape with no rust showing and no or very little chips in the paint

Heck where is this mower located, If it is close enough I will buy it myself. I bet a new engine and some purple power cleaner and a powerwasher, this mower could look brand new again.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
10-28-2006, 12:27 AM
Look... I was just suggesting that mud could be from the bottom of a lake/river.

Who knows one way or the other?

With no running engine on the machine, you can't verify the hydro system is good.

With no engine, it could be the hydros went and he decided to salvage the engine and let the rest go. How can you know? Where is "said" blown engine?

$1,600 is a lot for a box of chocolates... and I would tell the guy that.
You have to assume you are getting a frame and deck.
$1,600 is too much in my opinion.

For a few hundred, I'd gamble on the hydros just for a project base because I like that frame. Bye-bye deck, bye-bye rear tires and wheels, bye-bye crap seat... ect... in fact I'd love to have it for that.

Come on Envy, you know that even if this thing did take a bath - which I highly doubt - if attended to soon afterwards, the damage would be little to none. This mower obviously got driven through a wet lawn and got stuck and slung some mud on the deck.

To test the hydros, simply take a high speed drill and go under the rear deck, use the chuck of the drill as a " pulley " for the belt to ride on and spin the belt and pumps... Have someone else up top to push the levers forward and backwards to confirm the pumps and motors work.

The guy must be simply too lazy to fix it himself and just wants rid of it. If he can't do the work himself - engine swap - and took it to a dealer.... Some dealers could really charge the heck out of him to replace the engine. We know we can buy a new engine off Ebay for 800$ but the dealer may want 2000$ plus labor....

huh
10-28-2006, 12:39 AM
yes planes are rebuilt all the time....for a cost MANY times what some of them cost new

the reason so many old planes fly is because it is too expensive and too much legal liability to go around designing new small planes.....so as you said some even get rebuilt from wrecks.....but what you failed to also mention is they are rebuilt for many times the cost of what they were new

the mower has a #1 on it so either this guy thinks he is Richard Petty and needs to number his ONE Hustler mower.....or he has more than one....and is for some reason ditching it for this "great" price....and I also wondered if it did not take a swim

WJW Lawn
10-28-2006, 12:47 AM
Hey guys...Ive decided...I aint touching this thing...but if you're in NC here is the craigslist link--more pics and contact info if any of you wanna give it a whirl! http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/226243184.html

huh
10-28-2006, 12:57 AM
thank you for the additional pics....I wondered if I was not stearing you away from a good deal wrongly....but looking at the first pic where EVERY wheel on the deck is bent to the point it is about to break off I stand by my thoughts it is junk

how could you make a quality cut with the deck wheels screwed....and why would you want to be the one that offers those types of "services"

and those wheels did not all get bent at one time.....they got beat every time the machine was used

I think this machines owner was the guy on the youtube video that thought he was in a lawn mower race on his new Z

i think this is him here :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=163405&highlight=video

Envy Lawn Service
10-28-2006, 01:08 AM
I'm gonna see where he is an in NC (big state).

If he's close enough, I might offer him a few hundred for it as a donor frame for another custom project and then pray the hydros are good.

Envy Lawn Service
11-05-2006, 09:40 PM
Heck, I had forgot all about this until I started deleting some e-mail notifications.

I did write this guy about this mower... but never heard back from him.

J&R Landscaping
11-06-2006, 02:53 PM
I'd give him $500 easy....that would be a decent back-up machine for someone who knows how to work on their equipment. Trust me i have a few mowers that run on my crew everyday that where brought back from the dead.

It's just a matter of "can you work on it", if not i would walk away.

Ditto, I'd pay $500 for it, buy a new engine for it and run it. But I would just buy the engine from the dealer. I'd install it myself! :usflag:

Grits
11-06-2006, 07:26 PM
i'd give $100

sell it for steel scrap. not worth the stress. i'd rather beat my face against the wall.:cool2:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

lawnwizards
11-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Hey, mine took a swim once....besides....how in the He... do you know? Thats stupid...
The machine looks pretty good. Yellow paint doesn't hide anything. The fact that the engine is already off of it makes me wonder if he can afford a new engine.....probably didn't take care of what he had...you never know...
The hydro system is seperate from the engine and can easily be checked out. For the price of a new Kawasaki engine, someone might have a bargain, or at least an entry level introduction to one of the best machines out there.
kenny.

ps, the reason I'm not on this forum much now days, I'm too busy making a living with my...Hustler mowers!
go have another beer ken, that mower is obviously a piece of junk.

lawnman_scott
11-06-2006, 09:40 PM
Or for about $400 you could have this mower. Looks pretty nice doesnt it? Im not the best with colors, but arent exmarks red?

http://tampa.craigslist.org/tls/230642316.html

Envy Lawn Service
11-06-2006, 09:51 PM
Or for about $400 you could have this mower. Looks pretty nice doesnt it? Im not the best with colors, but arent exmarks red?

http://tampa.craigslist.org/tls/230642316.html

Looks like that guy must of had Dixons for the rest of his mowers... LOL