PDA

View Full Version : Absurd price?

fyshstykr
10-27-2006, 01:33 PM
Take a look at this property.

This guy called and wanted a bid for a one time mow/fall clean up for his rental property. He was a new customer, I went the day he called to look at it and called him while I was still there - could have done it then.

This is my first year in business, I figured it was going to take the 2 of us about 4 hours, plus a haul and dump fee. I was going to provide complete mow, trimming, rose bushes trimmed, grass cleaned out of chain link fencing and picked up and hauled away. So based on $30 per man hour, I bid this at $225.

The guy told me that price was absurd, he would never pay that and hung up on me. (If he thought I was overpriced, he should have just stated that, hanging up was not necessary - unprofessional business exchange in my opinion.) So over a week later, it's still not cleaned up, I felt good about my bid, maybe even under bid it a bit. Seeing that it's still not done.....obviously he can't find anyone else to give him any bid that's not "absurd." :confused:

What's your opinion? Was $225 in line or was it low? Just trying to learn from my experience, I can't give my services away, but I want to stay in business, too.

Thanks in advance for your feedback,
fysh

JRSlawn
10-27-2006, 01:41 PM
I think your price was right on if not a little cheap. This guy is probably looking for a highscholl kid to come in and do the work for $25.00. Oh well you win some and you lose some. Good Luck

lawnguyland
10-27-2006, 02:28 PM
I think that house is worth $225

I also think that that I could do what you described by myself in 2 hrs, max, though it might be hard to tell from the pics. I don't think your price is absurd at all and that guy is a doofus, but I think I could do it a lot faster than that. Of course I've got 20+ years of experience on ya!

Here's a tip- run away from rentals, especially those that llok like that.

fiveoboy01
10-27-2006, 02:58 PM
Well, based upon your estimate of time(8 man hours), your price was too low, especially if it included the dump fee.

That being said, It should only take 2 guys around 2-3 hours max to do that property. I did one VERY similar(in size and overgrowth) back in july, and by myself it took me just over 1.5 hours including edging a nastily-overgrown sidewalk with a crappy edger.

lawnspecialties
10-27-2006, 03:08 PM
Do not feel bad about that bid at all. If we were competing for the job, you would have beat me.:)

WJW Lawn
10-27-2006, 03:11 PM
One thing is for sure...your price isnt too high. But yea...tell him to get a neighborhood kid with a 21 to do it for 25 bucks. What was he expecting??? He actually told you "that's absurd"??? Yet another example of people who think we do this for fun and don't have a family to feed. You're better off with out him. Someone says that about my price....I could care less...because I dont do this for my health. And I'll walk away as fast as I walked up.

Prestige-Lawncare
10-27-2006, 03:29 PM
I'll walk away as fast as I walked up.

I like that :drinkup:

:weightlifter:

MowerMoney
10-27-2006, 03:35 PM
I also think that you're a little high on the time BUT NOT on the price.

Did you explain to him in detail what you were going to do before giving him the price? I've always found it difficult to price a job like that without the customer being there. For instance maybe he's thinking to just knock down the grass and even just leave it lying there.

StumpBuster
10-27-2006, 03:41 PM
EXCELLENT point, MowerMoney. :clapping:

punk_rockin2001
10-27-2006, 03:43 PM
I don't want to be the odd one out but I guess I am. I would think that price was absurd also. First of all I would never believe that would take 8 man hours to do! I would estimate that yard taking 3 hours max w/me working solo. That said I think an estimate of around $100 would be much more reasonable. Now I don't know what kind of equipment you are using, but if you think it will take that long to do then you might think about upgrading on some tools. Just my opnion.

fiveoboy01
10-27-2006, 04:33 PM
I don't want to be the odd one out but I guess I am. I would think that price was absurd also. First of all I would never believe that would take 8 man hours to do! I would estimate that yard taking 3 hours max w/me working solo. That said I think an estimate of around $100 would be much more reasonable. Now I don't know what kind of equipment you are using, but if you think it will take that long to do then you might think about upgrading on some tools. Just my opnion.

I'll agree that that yard should not take 8 man hours to do. SHOULD be less than half that. Then again, we are only looking at pictures.

3 hours solo? Probably can be done. At a piddly rate of 33.33 per hour? I'd be at 50.00 per man hour minimum for that type of work. Plus a dumping fee of 50 or so bucks. So, that 225 bid is not far off, if it can be completed in a much more reasonable 3-4 man hours.

No way I'd even set foot on that for 100 bucks. I did a property 6 weeks ago, about 1/4 of that size, took me one hour on the dot, and I got 55 bucks for it.

LOL.

fyshstykr
10-27-2006, 04:38 PM
Thank you all for the input so far.
Lawnguy I think your appraisal of the house is absolutely correct, I think this is an example of a landlord who wants $ coming in and will not put much $ into the property.
WJW lawn, yup that was his response word for word and then click, buzzzzzzz.
Mower money, yes I did explain my services up front, I learned that very quickly when I started bidding.
Punk rockin 2001,I can give you this guys # if you want to bid it.:laugh: , as far as my equipment, I think my Gravely 34z, echo trimmers/edger and the Toro pro line 21" would turn the trick
I agree with all of you that my total man hours could be a little much, but I'm learning as I go
Thank you all once again, and I appreciate the feed back.
fysh.:)

robbo521
10-27-2006, 05:02 PM
man i would have not touched one side of the fence for under 100.

bullethead
10-27-2006, 05:07 PM
wouldn't have even gotten out of the truck on that one

chuck bow
10-27-2006, 05:38 PM
Properties like that tear the hell out of euipment ...... who knows whats under all that tall grass and i dont care if you walk that property 10 times you could miss something , my stuff is designed for mowing turf not a friggen jungle. If he calls you back be sure to get alot of the money upfront because from just looking at pics and hearing what he said this joker would burn you in a heartbeat.

Total.Lawn.Care
10-27-2006, 05:41 PM
I guess you like working for peanuts. I am like fiveoboy01, $50 an hour MIN for a job like that, plus a dump fee. $100 for three hours work does not cover my costs and my excepted profit for labor rate. I am not the highest, but I AM NOT the CHEAPEST either. I know a few companies around my area that would not touch it for less than $65 per man hour and they get it too.

I think his $225 was pretty close and fair for all of that over growth and the time to clear out the growth through the fence, plus hedge trimming.

I get $60 an hour to trim hedges. It is alot of work, and I will not do it for free...

jrc lawncare
10-27-2006, 05:44 PM
Your price is in line. I would have been $225.00-$250.00. I'd walk away otherwise. I bid one this week, not as bad though, in the 550-600 range.

shane mapes
10-27-2006, 06:09 PM

This guy called and wanted a bid for a one time mow/fall clean up for his rental property. He was a new customer, I went the day he called to look at it and called him while I was still there - could have done it then.

This is my first year in business, I figured it was going to take the 2 of us about 4 hours, plus a haul and dump fee. I was going to provide complete mow, trimming, rose bushes trimmed, grass cleaned out of chain link fencing and picked up and hauled away. So based on $30 per man hour, I bid this at $225.

The guy told me that price was absurd, he would never pay that and hung up on me. (If he thought I was overpriced, he should have just stated that, hanging up was not necessary - unprofessional business exchange in my opinion.) So over a week later, it's still not cleaned up, I felt good about my bid, maybe even under bid it a bit. Seeing that it's still not done.....obviously he can't find anyone else to give him any bid that's not "absurd." :confused:

What's your opinion? Was $225 in line or was it low? Just trying to learn from my experience, I can't give my services away, but I want to stay in business, too.

Thanks in advance for your feedback,
fysh
I think $225-$300 is good but watch out for dump fees

fyshstykr
10-27-2006, 06:20 PM
I think $225-$300 is good but watch out for dump fees
On that I am lucky that my local dump doesn"t charge a fee at all for any "green" dumping.:) :)
fysh.

crawdad
10-27-2006, 06:23 PM
1)You could do that in three hours, working solo? All things included, mowing, trimming shrubs, clean up, go to dump, return from dump, resharpen blades, load up, be ready for next job? Wow!
2) You would work three hours on a job like that for a hundred bucks? If you're that good, you oughta get more money than that.

imdawrlus
10-27-2006, 06:27 PM
the guys obsured....think of how much money that cheap ***** saved by not cutting it in the first place.....that property should be an embarasement to him...its looks extreemly foolish.

i'd say 300 bucks.

sheshovel
10-27-2006, 06:40 PM
Even though I do not approve of imdawrlus's lanquage...
I have to agree $300.00 easy.
As far as time goes..Punk Rockin said 3 hours and $100.00 ?
My dear boy you got a whole lot of hard learnin to do.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
10-27-2006, 06:51 PM
I would have been tempted to call him back and ask him how much he was willing to spend and then tell him what he would get for that price and then do it since you were already there.

I never haul stuff away anymore. If I can't mulch it with my mower, I stack it at the curb and let the city trash service pick it up.

Green-Pro
10-27-2006, 07:03 PM
Its a rental, doesn't matter if you told him $25 instead of $225. Folks like these will always expect a over abundance of service for whatever price you quote. i.e. you quote a price based on man hours that are based upon your cost of doing business. Lets say its simply for mow, trim, & blow, I'll guarantee you, unless agreed upon beforehand, they will expect it to look "pristine". This after it has been neglected of regular lawn maintenance most of the summer.

This is a no win situation IMHO and you are lucky he told you to take a hike. I agree with others, stay away from props like this one, or have everything "EXPLICITLY" laid out in black & white prior to any work being undertaken.

MarkintheGarden
10-27-2006, 07:35 PM
The guy told me that price was absurd, he would never pay that and hung up on me.

You should have told him that your price is not nearly as absurd as the condition of that landscape, then you might of followed up with a question like; Exactly how do you get a property to develop that Bagdad look?

On my crew we used to call these kind of jobs FUBAR! I would tell my crew that we have a fubar today, and they knew! My bid would have been $250 to $300, and I would have been happy to hear him say it was absurd, cause who wants to do work like that?

Fubar customers come in two types, the first like the guy here, hasn't had maintenance or considered what things cost in fifty years. Or the second type that feels so guilty about the landscape they would have paid $400

KrayzKajun
10-27-2006, 07:42 PM
Do not feel bad about that bid at all. If we were competing for the job, you would have beat me.:)

So true! $225 is a steal on that work

HOOLIE
10-27-2006, 08:00 PM
I don't feel like there is a standard or going rate on hellholes :laugh:

That's a job where my price would reflect the mood I was in at the time. Really though I stay away from jobs like that for the most part these days.

The guy might think $225 is absurd but don't be shocked if he calls you back in a few days.

crawdad
10-27-2006, 08:16 PM
I don't feel like there is a standard or going rate on hellholes ...

That's the best reply so far on this thread.

Maitland Man
10-27-2006, 09:14 PM

fysh

Maybe just me and 15 years of working equipment to the best of its abilities without ABUSING IT, this is what I'd do, and after 3 pages, I don't expect any feedback but...........

..........I'd Edge the crap outta whatever needed edging..I'd use one of our badboy stihl weedeaters...that's right, I said WEEDEATER!....and I'd turn it side ways, up-side-down, backwards...whatever, and trim the you know what out of both sides of the fence lines, blow the sidewalks and streetline into the lawn....mulch it up with a hydro walk behind or ztr as I was cutting the grass...over and over....and probably over again until it looked half way decent, of course sitting or riding on a Velke...blow it off again, DONE. No hauling, no B.S.

It'd take me an hour TOPS....SOLO, if I actually felt like doing it alone...never!! and if I'd decided to send my crews elsewhere to make me money....and I'd bill them...$100.00 for me doing it.

No hauling, no helpers.....no crap!

Dennis

$100.00 for my hourly rate for doing it

lawn_pro
10-27-2006, 09:25 PM
I would have driven right by that dump......why would you bid that price on a property like that? Whats the point....Of course they couldn't afford it...if you really need the work, I could understand-but just by looking at the house should tell you everthing you need to know.

stumper1620
10-27-2006, 10:09 PM
simply put.......
I don't have a single piece of equipment that I would abuse on that mess.
call a farmer with a bush hog

Idealtim
10-27-2006, 10:28 PM
yea, that's all I need is rock and rebar under that disaster to wreck a 125$ spindle. Profit - down the tubes. Probly take me 4 hours to do it myself to get the lawn and edges to 3''. First thing I would do is the edges, with a brush blade on my trimmer. The rest screams dr field and brush mower!

My bid:$200.00

TMlawncare
10-27-2006, 10:34 PM
The way I look at places like this is that since it has not been maintained for 4-6 weeks the guy has got off cheap. If the property was maintained each week for $25 per mow. He already saved $100-150. Now we know not to bid under $100. Now take into account the PITA factor of such a job. Add $30 Dump fee $30. Bush job $35. So the final bid price is a minimum of $195. This is what happens when you leave your property go. He has probably got a notice from the city and is about to be fined. One piece of advice on doing rentals that the owners neglect. Tell them the price and make sure its prepaid. If not you stand a very good chance of never being paid.

sunray
10-27-2006, 10:52 PM
never judge a book by it's cover.I cleaned one up about a quarter acre.
The man was the recluse type and the place was a jungle of bamboo and ivy, along with the mixed in trash.
It took us about four hours to clean the trash out andjust over a half a day to scrape it clean with the bobcat----$4800.
We then sprayed it for a total kill off and spread 57 gravel over the whole yard except one corner we mulched that for the dogs.
That was another 4800, we then removed his privacy fence and built a new one 4200 dollars.
we trimmed his pines of dead and dangerous limbs 1500 dollars.
we now have a yearly contract to maintain the little bit of grass in the front and keep the back cleaned up for him, 65 dollars each week.
he's thrilled with all the work and the prices.
The man is a retired high school teacher and a Georgia tech graduate and is very much aware of what things cost.
We love the cleanups we just aren't shy with the price and never base it on hourly rates, we price on what we see and what we want to tackle thier neglected mess.
Around here it's the regular folks that say yes 9 times out of 10, it seems the bigger the house and subdivision the less they want to pay.
I know you guys have some top notch equipment and I understand you don't want to abuse it, the way we look at it, is their tools and their made to get the job done.

fyshstykr
10-28-2006, 03:24 PM
I would have driven right by that dump......why would you bid that price on a property like that? Whats the point....Of course they couldn't afford it...if you really need the work, I could understand-but just by looking at the house should tell you everthing you need to know.
I think he could afford it, I believe he is just cheap and wanted it done for nothing. fysh.

WildWest
10-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Should have called him back and told him "make that 325.00!!! and then hung up on him.

tomo
10-28-2006, 06:41 PM
hello,
the answer is simple ,if u correctly charge 4 a job such as this u will never loose any money and your machines will always be covered 4 potential damage . mow, edge and tidy upon completion
[estimation on photo only]

1/ charge your normally hrly rate 40-60 per hr per man 2/apply penalties 4 working in this garbage 50-100
--remember u must cover your machine 4 damage ,9 out of 10 jobs u will be ok but there is always that job u should not have started !!
--slashers tractor mounted charge 100 per hour plus travel time ,therefore u place penalties accordingly.
3/waste --- dump /transport fee

Although u may be able to complete the above job in an hour [poor standard] hack"en slash job ,,as is where is finish would be the result.

Considering the current condition an average result would be a good outcome allowing 4 2people 2-4hrs

Suggestion of a follow up service !!

tomo

noseha
10-28-2006, 07:26 PM
[QUOTE=MowerMoney]I also think that you're a little high on the time BUT NOT on the price.

ya,.............

fyshstykr
10-28-2006, 07:54 PM
Should have called him back and told him "make that 325.00!!! and then hung up on him.
WildWest that is a good one that I will definately remember.:laugh: :laugh:
fysh.

howardsells2000
10-28-2006, 07:57 PM
Maybe just me and 15 years of working equipment to the best of its abilities without ABUSING IT, this is what I'd do, and after 3 pages, I don't expect any feedback but...........

..........I'd Edge the crap outta whatever needed edging..I'd use one of our badboy stihl weedeaters...that's right, I said WEEDEATER!....and I'd turn it side ways, up-side-down, backwards...whatever, and trim the you know what out of both sides of the fence lines, blow the sidewalks and streetline into the lawn....mulch it up with a hydro walk behind or ztr as I was cutting the grass...over and over....and probably over again until it looked half way decent, of course sitting or riding on a Velke...blow it off again, DONE. No hauling, no B.S.

It'd take me an hour TOPS....SOLO, if I actually felt like doing it alone...never!! and if I'd decided to send my crews elsewhere to make me money....and I'd bill them...$100.00 for me doing it.

Dennis

I agree with Maitland Man. I would handled it just as he quoted.

fyshstykr
10-28-2006, 08:09 PM
"....mulch it up with a hydro walk behind or ztr as I was cutting the grass...over and over....and probably over again until it looked half way decent, of course sitting or riding on a Velke...blow it off again, DONE. No hauling, no B.S."

I'm not sure I could mulch that much in, that stuff was pretty tall, 12" most everywhere. fysh.

sheshovel
10-28-2006, 08:45 PM

Dennis

Yes well in your years of expierience you have not yet learned to estimate the job completely then.
You missed all the shrub trimming, cleaning the beds around the house and the removal of debri. Plus you have no idea what is under all that mess.

stumper1620
10-28-2006, 09:34 PM
Yes well in your years of expierience you have not yet learned to estimate the job completely then.
You missed all the shrub trimming, cleaning the beds around the house and the removal of debri. Plus you have no idea what is under all that mess.
Don't sound like there is much budget for blades, trimmer line, or equipment replacement/ maintance either . set of mulch blades for my mower run 50 bucks, one good rock and those are out, burning belts and spindle heat from the load of that crap, and he's gonna do this not to just one mower but 2
screw that, I'll stick to hi dollar well maintained lawns, thank you.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

TJLANDS
10-28-2006, 10:06 PM
My two cents.
This would have been my proposal for a two man crew.
$245 general cleanup, weedwacking edges, fence line and trimming whatever that is growing up the house. Removing debris from lawn and vines growing on house.
$85 mowing the grass to 3.5(one time fee, after that 35-40)
$75 Dumping fee.
Total $405 plus tax
Would I get it, probably not.

Would I want it at that price yes.

People would see what one of my crews could do in a couple of hours.

Also I would get a signature before I would work there. Maybe even payment up front if it is the first time working for this landlord.

Precision
10-30-2006, 08:59 AM

It isn't really about how much time it takes. I agree, I could probably get that done in 2-3 hours alone and definately within 4 man hours with a helper.

I charge $75 per man hour minimum on clean ups. so that would be $300 plus
$75 for disposal fee.

But the way I look at mowing clean ups is I try to get back some of the money they "saved" by letting it get all over grown. Looks like 3 months of neglect and I charge $100 per month to cut a lot like that, then we start looking at minimum of $300.
I don't care if I get bids like this. Sure $300 for 1.5 hours of work is nice, but the risks are just too high. hidden bricks, hidden bits of rebar, hidden holes, hidden snakes, whatever.

If they don't want to pay my price, then so be it. Less work for me and it isn't like it is recurring money. And we all know what it will look like in 3 more months. So if you do it cheap, you will be getting the call and doing it all over again and hating yourself a second time.

HydroCutter
10-30-2006, 09:08 AM
I have had quite a few one time calls with grass that looked like that. My Ferris couldn't handle it, so I had to use my 19" BobCat which eats that stuff up w/o a problem, just have to empty the grass very frequently. When you guys look at those pics, what is your plan to attack it? What machines do you have that would cut that overgrown mess?

ED'S LAWNCARE
10-30-2006, 01:09 PM

Me Too. Just by looking at the pics 275 for the work plus 50 for the haul

topsites
10-30-2006, 02:18 PM
It is a lot about determining what the customer wants, and then seeing if one can meet those needs.
In a way, it frustrates me to run into these properties because I know from the gitgo we're not going but so far.

See, that lot screams 'I have done nothing to it, I don't intend on doing much, and I'm not spending a lot.'
The word rental backs up what is gained at first sight.

You have two choices:
1) Bid $400 and do it right, make that lot look A+ spiffy.
But, it's not what the customer wants and we already know the answer, might as well not even bid it.

2) Don't know how to say it, I call it the quick and dirty but it really boils down to a half-azz job: Come in, cut the grass best you can and hide as much of the clumps as possible, whack the bushes and throw the clippings behind / underneath, 2-4 hours (depends on experience) of wham-bam-thank you ma'am for $100-$140, maybe $160...

Basically, you want to improve it as much as possible in a short time, but perfect it ain't gonna be.
So you gotta do as GOOD a job as cheaply as possible, a challenge at best.

kinda sux, but I do get more than a fair share of those kind of jobs, it's money one way or the other.

Either way, one thing I learned is you can't meet them halfway between those two choices...
While $225 was too low for your intentions, it was too high for his.

The good news is, as a rule of thumb customers like that tend not to be too picky, they usually appreciate hard work and are easy to get along with (but, not always).
Hope that helps.

CNY Property Management
10-30-2006, 02:47 PM
If anything, I think your price was low. The landlord was obviously just wanting someone to knock the grass down. IMO, I would quote it high and not worry if you lost the job. There is too much low hanging fruit out there to get involved in these nightmares. Like the other posters indicated, it is too easy to hit a sewer pipe, stake, large rock, or something else that will damage the mower. You also have to be worried about launching a projectile and damaging something or someone. I have down some rental properties like this and I never look forward to them.

rb_in_va
10-30-2006, 03:30 PM
It's possible that the owner bought this place as a foreclosure and just closed on the house. In any case, the guy may try to do the work himself and realize how much work it really is. Then he will call you back. It's good that you didn't get nasty. Never good to burn bridges.

Precision
10-30-2006, 09:55 PM
I have had quite a few one time calls with grass that looked like that. My Ferris couldn't handle it, so I had to use my 19" BobCat which eats that stuff up w/o a problem, just have to empty the grass very frequently. When you guys look at those pics, what is your plan to attack it? What machines do you have that would cut that overgrown mess?

What I will usually do is take my line trimmer and remove the trimmer head and replace it with a brush blade and do a half assed job of cutting the lawn with that. My goal is not to actually make a clean cut, but rather to make relief rows in the grass, so the mower can get back up to speed / spit out turf turds.

Think of making 1.5 foot columns in the yard about every 4-5 feet then using the mower crossways to that. Some times if it is really bad, I will do the columns then use the mower and have the columns as an air gap for the discharge then come back with the mower cross ways to those lines made with the mower or I will use the brush blade it like a swing blade and get most of the yard down to 8 inches or less.It seems like a lot more work, but it actually speeds things up alot.

As far as equipment:
old stihl line trimmer (now dedicated brush blade machine)
newer line trimmer with .135 line
on a bigger yard, the 27 HP 60" Gravely ZTR with meg mows
on a smaller yard the 19 hp 36" z-cat and an extra set of blades for the last cut or incase I nail something.
stick edger and a fresh blade
blower
chainsaw
pole hedge trimmer
drag tarp
trashcan
sprayer for round up
dish soap and water (incase of finding poison ivy)

I would also cut the first time with the deck ALL the way up. Then perhaps cut it again like that going cross way, then lower the deck to the appropriate height for the last pass. I also use my meg mo blades. They stay sharper longer, they cut finer pieces, they are less likely to get damaged by unforseen obstacles and they do a great job on that kind of work.

DaughtryLC
10-30-2006, 10:08 PM
If he calls you back just say you will gladly do it for $450.00.;)

imdawrlus
10-30-2006, 10:21 PM
It's possible that the owner bought this place as a foreclosure and just closed on the house. In any case, the guy may try to do the work himself and realize how much work it really is. Then he will call you back. It's good that you didn't get nasty. Never good to burn bridges.

i was kind of wondering this...

either way...its worth atleast 300 no matter the history.

gmgg
10-31-2006, 08:29 PM
simply put.......
I don't have a single piece of equipment that I would abuse on that mess.
call a farmer with a bush hog

My thoughts exactly. Or maybe he could find a farmer to cut it for free in exchange for the bails of hay!

fyshstykr
10-31-2006, 10:18 PM
My thoughts exactly. Or maybe he could find a farmer to cut it for free in exchange for the bails of hay!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Maybe I should buy some goats and lease em out.
fysh.