PDA

View Full Version : Is this billy goat worth it?

AFM Contracting
10-27-2006, 05:54 PM
Billy Goat leaf vaccum, 5hp, new bag, works great, asking $175. Is that worth it? sounds like it is.

Runner
10-27-2006, 09:41 PM
Like I just said the other day to someone else who asked the same question about one of these machines..... Save your money.

AFM Contracting
10-27-2006, 10:53 PM
why, are they no good? can you elaborate

Runner
10-27-2006, 11:30 PM
Well, you have this machine...that you push, it sucks up leaves, get HEAVY, and blows a bunch of dust in your face. Now, this machine is cumbersome to empty the bag, and while it shreds leaves some, it doesn't shred them that much.
What if I told you that there is a machine that does this, is not that hard to push, chops the leaves up even more, vacuums BETTER, doesn't blow dust in your face, AND has other purposes?

It's called a lawnmower.:cool2:

BobR
10-28-2006, 03:43 PM
AFM -- Runner is correct in his evaluation. I purchased a self propelled Goat unit a couple years ago (used) tried it on my own lawn and wasn't impressed used it on a customers lawn and it seemed to take forever to complete the leaf job. Would be much better off using a tarp and rake (faster and cleaner). I was lucky and sold the ____ thing to another unsuspecting lawn person.

Might be good for a home owner who has a lot of time to spend doing a menial job.

Save your money and get a Trac-Vac.

BobR

ed2hess
10-28-2006, 07:20 PM
I bought one and took it back the next day....one big leave jammed in it and then it chocked down. I then went and tested a Troybilt 12 hp and decided against it also...can't do much in wet stuff.

J&R Landscaping
10-28-2006, 11:14 PM
I have a billy goat vac I got used. It does ok but I dont use it much. I'm not sure if I would replace it.

dcondon
10-28-2006, 11:19 PM
I have never used one but they look like a pain to me. JMO

Jay Ray
10-28-2006, 11:41 PM
I'd say the Goat vac does one thing pretty good with reasonable efficiency. It gets acorns up off of concrete surfaces. I blow the acorns so they are condensed into a small area, say 5' x 20' one acorn deep, and vac them up.

I only used it on leaves once. Works you very hard. Never again.

If you have to deal with removing acorns in the drive, street, and sidewalk, and the customers don't want them blown into the lawn, for $175 I would give it a try. You couldn't lose much on it if you resold it. New bag worth $100.

Also handy for vacuuming small pieces of tar paper and trash after a roofing job.