PDA

View Full Version : Br600 over shin 8510

sicnj
10-27-2006, 06:40 PM
i test drove the shindawia 8510 and stihl Br600 yesterday. I spent 10 min walking around with Shindawia 8510 backpack $519+tax blowing leaves in the dealers back yard. It took me about 15 sec to decide that the Stihl at $469+ tax was a better buy for me. the power was comparable, but stihl was a lot lighter and easier to use. So now I am the owner of Br600.

John Gamba
10-27-2006, 06:47 PM
i test drove the shindawia 8510 and stihl Br600 yesterday. I spent 10 min walking around with Shindawia 8510 backpack $519+tax blowing leaves in the dealers back yard. It took me about 15 sec to decide that the Stihl at $469+ tax was a better buy for me. the power was comparable, but stihl was a lot lighter and easier to use. So now I am the owner of Br600.

Welcome to the club:waving:

Rons Rightway Lawncare
10-27-2006, 06:49 PM
Great! Someone with some smarts upstairs!!! I can not believe how many people here rave about the Redmax and other brand blowers like they do, one day with a Stihl 550 or especially a 600 is all anyone should need to see which is better overall.

I have a friend who is a complete dumbA@% who said he would never buy one cause he didn't like the way they sounded..... What a moron! Who cares what it sounds like, it is quiet, blows hard, is comfortable and light and not that expensive.

This same friend used to tell me he would NEVER EVER buy a Diesel powered truck. This was back in 1999-2000 when I had a Ram with the Cummins engine. He said he didn't like the smell of diesel and the noise etc.... Well Fast forward to 2003 and he goes out and buys a new Ram with Cummins, likes it so much he now has three of them. Some people just don't have a full tank upstairs you know!!!!

I dickered with my dealer over the price and he sold me mine at Cost, I paid just under 400$ for it!

Pristine PM
10-27-2006, 07:17 PM
We just picked up our first BR 600 and compared to the BR 400 and 420 I notice a huge difference. for $100 more it made sense to go with the 600. $599 vs $699 CA. I notice it the most on the roads that have a bit of sand debris. It blows the sand and leaves completly while the other two blowers leave the sand that they don't hit directly. I have to Shin C4 engines and have not been really pleased with them. The valves have been adjusted once at $50 which was not a cost we expected and while they have good power when they run, them seem to cut out alot easier then my stihl ever did, and for no reason. They do feel alot nicer then the stihl though, and I like the padded grips and look of them.

Jon

Just Mow
10-27-2006, 07:50 PM
You made a good choice. I have many Br600 blowers and also tried the big RedMax that everybody talks about and could not see any difference in power but a huge difference in weight and ease of start.
Good luck

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
10-27-2006, 07:52 PM
When stihl matches a two year commercial warranty i might, until not.

HenryB
10-27-2006, 10:51 PM
Wish I could agree? 600 is a great blower but time is money and the 8000 is a lot more powerful. If you compare them side by side it's obvious. No reason to delude myself.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
10-27-2006, 10:55 PM
Come on..... How many times have you guys had to take back a blower or trimmer to the dealer to be fixed under warranty ????

In my 12 years of business I have only had to do that once and that was due to a faulty gas cap that allowed gas to dribble out when the tank was full or if I bent over wearing it. That blower was a Mariyama I bought ( 2 of them to be exact ) back in 1995. The problem with the blower was apparent right out of the box, and nothing the dealer of the manufactor did would stop it so they bought back the blowers. ( I made the mistake then of buying the most popular blower I would see back in those days, a Echo PB- ? , It was the one with the orange metal frame and airfilter on the top, heavy as sin and not very powerful... )

Other than that, I have not had any reasons to get any of my stuff fixed under a warranty. Matter of fact, the only thing I can recall any of my Stihl blowers ever needing was a new recoil spring on my old BR420, and that was my fault for washing the thing so often the water got into the recoil housing and rusted out the spring. This happened after about 3 years of use. Never had any other problems out of any of the other 2 stroke stuff other than normal wear and tear, like clutch shoes on trimmers etc....

If a Warranty makes you feel better then by all means buy it! But again, if you take reasonably good care of your stuff, chances of needing a warranty in a year or two is slim to none

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
10-27-2006, 11:21 PM
Nothing wrong with stihl ope i have buds that swear by em,redmax is what i'v been using for four seasons,to be honest the redmax 8000 back pack has broke my back in half that and turning 40 this year.

6'7 330
10-27-2006, 11:39 PM
We have the Sthil BR600, good power, better on fuel consumption, much lighter the our Redmax 8000's.

wriken
10-27-2006, 11:42 PM
Wish I could agree? 600 is a great blower but time is money and the 8000 is a lot more powerful. If you compare them side by side it's obvious. No reason to delude myself.
I agree, I have both, a br600, and a 8000

John Gamba
10-28-2006, 08:46 AM
I agree, I have both, a br600, and a 8000

I'll have this combo in 07:)

lawnman_scott
10-28-2006, 09:37 AM
When stihl matches a two year commercial warranty i might, until not.Are redmax that crappy that they keep breaking down under warranty? How many warranty issues do you really have anyway, with anything?

noseha
10-28-2006, 09:54 AM
only stihl ...........

Envy Lawn Service
10-28-2006, 03:10 PM
Well, as I posted here before, I decided to go with the RedMax 8001's this fall after much pondering and scratching of the head.

I thought maybe there was something I was missing after all the raving about the 8000's... which I didn't find as comfortable as the BR600 and PB-751. But the 8001's feel better.

However, for the price, weight and time to saddle it up... I really wish I could say I have found them to be way more powerful than the BR600. But I'm being honest about it. I'm just not seeing that so far, but I'm fresh out of the gate.

The only difference I can see so far is how all three make and transmit power through the air stream DIFFERENTLY. I see a difference in the type of power, but not in strenght of power.

So which one of the three does better depends on what you are blowing and what the conditions are. On big leaves and big piles of leaves that can really 'catch' the 8001 air stream is the only place where I find the performance thrilling. I mean for example, you don't have to 'cut down' a leaf pile. When you go to do so, it just shoves the whole pile.

The BR600 is lighter, quieter, and tighter to your body.

I don't know, maybe I was just expecting too much, or maybe it's how I percieve power in the air stream... or maybe even I will change my mind after some break-in hours are logged.

Just Mow
10-30-2006, 04:44 PM
Nice post.

Total.Lawn.Care
10-30-2006, 05:18 PM
BR600, the most power for the money IMO... I love it, and with the leaves on the ground, I am thinking about getting a second one.

greengiant9963
10-30-2006, 08:22 PM
Was doing leaf cleanups today with BR600. Well it has been threw the breakin period and I do notice a bit more power this leaf season than last. I sometimes cannot believe the power of this thing. It whips leafs like a sling shot. By far one of my best purchases over the last few years.

John Gamba
10-30-2006, 08:25 PM
Was doing leaf cleanups today with BR600. Well it has been threw the breakin period and I do notice a bit more power this leaf season than last. I sometimes cannot believe the power of this thing. It whips leafs like a sling shot. By far one of my best purchases over the last few years.

The control of the leaves is very good.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
10-30-2006, 08:34 PM
We have had very little warranty problems,but whatz it tell you about what you are buying with the best warranty like scag mowers with a three year warranty,it tells that they are making a top machine, match warranty, price, and performance match it.

MattsMowing3535
10-30-2006, 08:39 PM
Cant beat stihl 4-mix. There is alot more to a blower then simply the power IMO. After useing the stihl Br-600 I plan on getting ALL stihl equipment!

Dashunde
10-30-2006, 08:59 PM
I'm liking my 600 a whole lot.

PLS-Tx
10-30-2006, 09:40 PM
I got a 600 today, WOW. Easy to start, very comfortable, and lots of power.

Did you guys do anything special for a break in period?

wriken
10-30-2006, 10:00 PM

dealer filled the first tank for me 25-1 mix he said
he asked me what kind of 2 stroke oil I used, I told him walmart supertech, 50-1 mix he said that works for him.

Just Mow
10-30-2006, 10:43 PM

Nothing special done on the break in. Ran it as normal. I am using the Stihl HP Ultra synthetic oil though. Since I have started using this I am not seeing any carbon buildup.

LawnBrother
10-30-2006, 11:47 PM

I just followed the break in instructions for mine. I just basically ran it easy for the first 3 tanks. Yeah, I gunned it a few times on full throttle to see what it could do, I couldn't help it, but 99% of the time I kept it below full throttle. You will notice an increase in power after about 5-10 tanks, at least I sure noticed it. It's a great blower, you'll love it.

Envy Lawn Service
10-31-2006, 12:12 AM
The control of the leaves is very good.

That's what's missing on the 8001's John.

Ever blown with most of the tube off a big backpack?
That's sorta what it is like.

The 8001's blow so hard and wide that it's a chore to keep control.
But once you get a dune of leaves it's much better.

These things are starting to 'perk up' a little too by the way.

Anyways, I like the Stihls, and since adding the 8001's I'm learning about myself. With that said, I'm thinking I might really like the 8510 too (with the high speed nozzle) because it would seem that for some work I like air speed and pinpoint concentration. Oh well... guess I'll buy the 8001 nozzle accessories to try.

John Gamba
10-31-2006, 07:19 AM
That's what's missing on the 8001's John.

Ever blown with most of the tube off a big backpack?
That's sorta what it is like.

The 8001's blow so hard and wide that it's a chore to keep control.
But once you get a dune of leaves it's much better.

These things are starting to 'perk up' a little too by the way.

Anyways, I like the Stihls, and since adding the 8001's I'm learning about myself. With that said, I'm thinking I might really like the 8510 too (with the high speed nozzle) because it would seem that for some work I like air speed and pinpoint concentration. Oh well... guess I'll buy the 8001 nozzle accessories to try.

I like the 600 for getting behind the bushes and the house perimeter, i also like it for everyday blowing of the grass. I like the 750 for moving the bigger piles of leaves to the curb and for blowing the wet grass. I will get the 8001 next year to replace the 750.

ProLawns
10-31-2006, 08:08 AM
After demoing the two I bought me a BR600 yesterday too. Yee Haw.

wriken
10-31-2006, 08:29 AM
I hope my br600 picks up the pace soon, hopefully it will after 8-10 tanks, in which its getting close to have run thru it. as soon as I can, I'm taking it back to the dealer to see if it needs the carb adjusted, being a 4-mix, I will let them work with it. Plus its new. I usually run the zrt's, but after work, I had a bunch of leaves at my house. I started out with the 600, for about 2 minutes, then went to the 8000. To me its almost night and day. But like I said it could be my 600, in need of some simple adjustment.

HenryB
10-31-2006, 08:45 AM
Wriken
I had the same experience. I really like the 600 but it's not even close in power to the 8000. People are deluding themselves:dizzy: . Regardless of what I own or how much $ I spent I always try to give my honest opinion on equip.

WJW Lawn
10-31-2006, 09:05 AM
I love my br600...handles the leaves really well...lighter...not as noisy! When they make a back pack that will blow leaves out of a back yard straight into my truck...I'll get it...til then I'll stick with my Stihl!

wriken
10-31-2006, 03:47 PM
Wriken
I had the same experience. I really like the 600 but it's not even close in power to the 8000. People are deluding themselves:dizzy: . Regardless of what I own or how much $ I spent I always try to give my honest opinion on equip.
I wish I would have bought another 8000, but live and learn. Oh well Son-in-law likes how light it is, he's the one that runs the blowers most of the time. I like the weight also, but what I really like is to see some results.

PLS-Tx
10-31-2006, 11:32 PM

This is what the owners manual says,

A factory new machine should not be run at high revs (full throttle off load) for the first three tank fillings. This avoids unnecessary high loads during the break-in period. As all moving parts have to bed in during the break-in period. The frictional resistances in the ingine are greater during this period. The engine develops its maximum power after about 5 to 15 tank fillings.

wriken
11-01-2006, 12:20 AM
This is what the owners manual says,

A factory new machine should not be run at high revs (full throttle off load) for the first three tank fillings. This avoids unnecessary high loads during the break-in period. As all moving parts have to bed in during the break-in period. The frictional resistances in the ingine are greater during this period. The engine develops its maximum power after about 5 to 15 tank fillings.
I'm past 5 and getting close to 15, hopefully something will happen sooon:)

dcondon
11-01-2006, 10:52 PM
I wish I would have bought another 8000, but live and learn. Oh well Son-in-law likes how light it is, he's the one that runs the blowers most of the time. I like the weight also, but what I really like is to see some results.

I tried to tell you to get the shin 8510!!!:waving:

dcondon
11-02-2006, 09:26 PM
I think Wriken is ready to give someone a deal on the br600. It has had 7 -8 tanks of gas through it.

Envy Lawn Service
11-02-2006, 10:21 PM
I think Wriken is ready to give someone a deal on the br600. It has had 7 -8 tanks of gas through it.

Hummm...... I find this all rather strange.

I don't see the all around big difference yet myself.
That's why I asked about RedMax break-in before.
How many tanks through those before they reach full power?

Anyways, if you guys like what the 8000 did in the field, you might ought to try the 8001's.
They are much nicer put together than the 8000's.

wriken
11-02-2006, 11:35 PM
Hummm...... I find this all rather strange.

I don't see the all around big difference yet myself.
That's why I asked about RedMax break-in before.
How many tanks through those before they reach full power?

Anyways, if you guys like what the 8000 did in the field, you might ought to try the 8001's.
They are much nicer put together than the 8000's.
Thats what I may try, is the 8001, very happy with the 8000. Or I have been tossing around the thought of trying a shin 8510. Whatever I get, I want to have power like the 8000 I have.:)

PLS-Tx
11-02-2006, 11:41 PM
Thats what I may try, is the 8001, very happy with the 8000. Or I have been tossing around the thought of trying a shin 8510. Whatever I get, I want to have power like the 8000 I have.:)

If you do try the 8510, let us know how it compares to the 8000.

Envy Lawn Service
11-03-2006, 12:16 AM

I think you should get one of each... an 8001 and an 8510.

Me, I'm still puzzled about your BR600 experience. It makes me question rather that unit has issues or if it's about your preference of air stream type.... or if I am too early out of the gate with RedMax and making too many assumptions before reaching peak performance.

If you are all the time moving huge piles of leaves I understand though.

The 8001's have unreal power for blowing large leaves and will just keep right on pushing huge piles of leaves like they are nothing. It really excels at the extreme. To me, it seems to be all about what will 'catch' its air stream.

But things like small leaves and scant leaf coverage do not seem to be it's strong point to me right now. Frankly I find it almost annoying to use for anything like that. It seems like it has no more, or even less power for things like that. I think because that type of stuff doesn't harness it's power and catch the type of air stream it puts out with the standard tubes.

wriken
11-03-2006, 03:16 PM
Took the br600 back to the shop, to have them check the rpm's, was right on the money. He asked what I would like to do, I said I would love my $ back. So he called the rep, said if I was not happy then give the cash back. So they bought it back, and I went and ordered a redmax 8001 on ebay, 484.50 shipped to me. At least I Know what they are capable of pushing. So, So much for stilh.:)

wriken
11-05-2006, 01:08 AM
I got the 8001 11/4/06, one day to get to me, thats pretty fast delivery.

Envy Lawn Service
11-05-2006, 01:14 AM
I got the 8001 11/4/06, one day to get to me, thats pretty fast delivery.

Yeah... it's hard to beat that!

Now that you have it there and know the shortcomings of the 8000's....
Do you see the same degree of improvement in build that I do?
What about the comfort level?
Starts GREAT too right?

I didn't care for the 8000's.
But the 8001's I LIKE.

wriken
11-05-2006, 01:24 AM
Yeah... it's hard to beat that!

Now that you have it there and know the shortcomings of the 8000's....
Do you see the same degree of improvement in build that I do?
What about the comfort level?
Starts GREAT too right?

I didn't care for the 8000's.
But the 8001's I LIKE.
I just got home and it was here, so hooked the tubes/throttle up and fired it up to get warm the shut it down to cool. I will do that about 3-4 times tomorrow to break it in somewhat. Started on the 2nd pull.:)

Envy Lawn Service
11-05-2006, 01:37 AM
They crank great.
First or second pull every time.
Always the first when warm.

I just wish there was an electric start button one them for when someone wants to stop you to talk. They are rediculously loud at idle. Sounds like you have a dirtbike on your back. Too much to talk over. It's funny though because it gets quiet when you rev it up. Personally I wonder if the tone will change any if I remove the spark arrestor screen?

As far as break-in... I really haven't been doing anything special. I went from RedMax oil in the beginning to Amsoil Sabre mixed at 50:1 and normal use.

They are SLOW to break in and power up.

Could be this mix oil really is 'good synthetic' and is slowing the process.
I dunno.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
11-05-2006, 01:50 AM
Personally I wonder if the tone will change any if I remove the spark arrestor screen?

Thats a good question. I removed mine right out of the box. Oh no, not gonna wait for the screws to get all locked up. Sounds like a boat motor.

Envy Lawn Service
11-05-2006, 01:54 AM
Thats a good question. I removed mine right out of the box. Oh no, not gonna wait for the screws to get all locked up. Sounds like a boat motor.

That just happened to me on an echo.
Echo uses crappy low grade screws there.
Worst place in the world to do that.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
11-05-2006, 02:01 AM
That just happened to me on an echo.
Echo uses crappy low grade screws there.
Worst place in the world to do that.

exactly. Not to mention they use torx screws at that. If there is one thing I have learned, exhaust systems can only be worked on when new. After that its all snapping, stripping, cutting, and:realmad:

Envy Lawn Service
11-06-2006, 08:02 PM
wriken,

So how's your first impression of your new 8001 after having it in the field?

wriken
11-06-2006, 08:20 PM
wriken,

So how's your first impression of your new 8001 after having it in the field?
runs great, just like the 8000 model.