PDA

View Full Version : Quickbooks Pro, Premier, Contractor or Onlilne?

adaptivehomeservices
10-27-2006, 07:25 PM
I have read many posts regarding all types of software used in the green industry and have narrowed it down to a Quickbooks product. I do lawn maintenance and various other trades as well so I need a universal product that won't become obsolete when my business grows.

Which one do you all recommend and why?

YardPro
10-27-2006, 07:29 PM
we use quickbooks pro 2007 and love it.

DBL
10-27-2006, 08:27 PM
we use quickbooks pro 2007 and love it.

use it too it has more stuff then i even know how to use maby ill explore how to do these things this winter

adaptivehomeservices
10-27-2006, 08:34 PM
It seems like you can get 2007 Pro for around $120 or so. This has more than enough to help setup my accounting?

Tim Wright
10-27-2006, 09:28 PM
I Just bought QB Pro also for my businesses. Came from Quicken for Home and Business.

My plan is to use QBPro with qClipPro software.

Quickbooks for the Accounting, Billing, etc, and Clip for Scheduling, and Job Costing.

There are other good scheduling programs out there, and you could even use Microsoft Outlook, however, it is not nearly as automated.

One of the main reason for using Clip is that once it is set up, you will know where your money is being made or lost, with both materials, time and employees, etc. You can then begin to map out your business plans based on real numbers rather than general numbers.

Tim

Proscapes
10-28-2006, 03:37 PM
been using QB Pro 6 yrs now. it's standard equipment here. you can get as detailed as you want on job tracking, est./inv.,reports,etc. It also works with other est. software like Quick Estimator

adaptivehomeservices
10-28-2006, 03:49 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I purchased Quickbooks Pro today from Sams Club for $158. Time to get started!

Roger
10-28-2006, 04:18 PM
I bought QB Pro 2006 last January. I had been using an older version of Quicken, so was familiar with the basic needs. However, I had to spend a considerable amount of time to get QB Pro set up properly. In hindsight, I an perplexed why it took so much time, but I think the terminology set me off on the wrong path a few times.

However, having spent much time during the down time, I became quite familiar with the software, and have been able to make changes to adapt at this season progressed. I know some folks have somebody else do the setup, but I preferred to spend the time to learn it myself. I wanted to be ready to make the changes I needed, when the time arose. Despite trying to run all the situations I could envision, after the season got rolling, some things still came up that required a bit of retooling.

My point is to give yourself some setup time and some startup time at the beginning. I've read too many posts here on LS of folks that have run out and bought, came home and wanted to be fully operational the next day. Their outcome was frustration and disappointment.

I'm pleased with the program in large part. But, I am disappointed that I cannot get the reports I desire. I've found no help in finding what I want, and am looking for program utilities to access the QB database so that I can write the reports I want. That is the "winter project."

adaptivehomeservices
10-28-2006, 05:40 PM
Roger-thank you for your post and your advice. I am in the infant stages of organizing and starting my business. I believe it will be to my benefit to learn the software before I get busy making and spending more money. I can only imagine what its like to be running full speed at 12 hours a day only to come home and try to learn you new software...sounds like a nightmare.

I just formed my LLC, got my website domain name, setup my business email, working on a basic descriptive website and now learning the back end operations of my business...all without a single customer! lol I have run my own business before so I am trying to get organized from the start...the customers will come. Going with the theory...if you build it they will come...hopefully.

captaingreen
12-12-2006, 12:08 AM
My point is to give yourself some setup time and some startup time at the beginning. I've read too many posts here on LS of folks that have run out and bought, came home and wanted to be fully operational the next day. Their outcome was frustration and disappointment.

Having just purchased QB myself, going from Microsoft Money, I am curious what kind of reports you are not getting that you would like to have. Thats one thing I liked about MM is the wide range of reports I could generate.

Az Gardener
12-12-2006, 12:57 AM

Having just purchased QB myself, going from Microsoft Money, I am curious what kind of reports you are not getting that you would like to have. Thats one thing I liked about MM is the wide range of reports I could generate.

Your Quote at the bottom of your post is a Marty Grunder tag line, are you a student of Marty's!

I would imagine Roger cannot generate reports that show you profitability per job. That is my only complaint with Quick books.

I don't like clip, way overkill. A friend of mine, also in the business uses it and he has 3 girls in the office and he only does about twice my volume and I have one person in the office W-F.

I think many people just get caught up in the technology and forget that businesses thrived for years without it. I only consider technology when it saves time/money.

Scheduling software for example. How can a computer make a route schedule better/faster than me. I know the traffic flow. I know who dose'nt mind us there at the crack of dawn and who doesn't want to see us before 10:00.

I can also quickly set up a simple spreadsheet in excel to do my job costing. Without buying clip. The guys in the field still have to get the information down whether its in a .06 piece of paper in about 3 minutes or on a $700 laptop that then gets downloaded to another computer that then gets transfered to something I could actually make use of.

Technology is great just make sure it is working for you and not the other way around.

Roger
12-12-2006, 07:07 AM
Az ... Profitability per job does not pertain in my case. I primarily do mowing, and other "odd" jobs are small (less than $500). Therefore, I have little interest in tracking costs per job, EXCEPT my time. Time is my primary commodity, and all the jobs (including mowing) are priced primarily on how much time I need to complete the job. I only have a few jobs per season that have much material associated with them.

rgs
06-06-2007, 08:35 AM
Check out Lawn & Pest Assistant III - www.realgreen.com