PDA

View Full Version : Growing Wisely

barefootlawnsandlandscape
10-27-2006, 11:09 PM
I wanted a little advise from the veterans who have grown a business successfully in this industry. I am wrapping up my first year in business and it has been great. There have been a few growing pains, but all in all a good year. I bought 40 properties to start out and added 38 on my own this year. I am doing weed control and fertilization, yes I am licensed and experienced (former Golf Course Superintendent), and also doing landscape installations. So far I have been able to juggle everything with me and one other guy. I have already gained 70 properties next year from a very large developer in this area, and have put my name in the yellowpages for next year. I am anticipating quite a bit of growth. I can handle the landscape installations as my father-in-law has a backhoe service and can do most of the work until it is time to dig holes. My question is when you were growing your company what decisions did you make to add people and equipment without cancelling out the new business you are bringing on the lawn care side of things in, i.e. new expenses equal new revenue. I know I will need another truck next year, I have one with a Lesco skid sprayer, and a 3/4 Chevy to pull my 18'. I will also have to add another trailer probably smaller. I have a Toro Z Master 60" and a Dixie LT2500 44". What I was thinking is adding two walk behinds to these machines on the trailers. The guy I have had with me all year is ready to step up as a foreman as he has been trained all year by yours truly. Just looking for a little advise. I want to grow, but also want to grow smart. Thanks in advance and sorry so long.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
10-28-2006, 01:04 AM
Hats off to you and your business,doubling in size the 1st year is a tremendous achivement. Two hydro W.B. sounds good i'd get atleast 48's, If the properties are wide open forget the W.B. get two more Z.T.R if money is not a problem.Maybe one W.B.if theres hills. Sound's like you'll be needing maybe 3-4 more guys to work with you and the foreman 148 property's.Make sure you return calls and dont shortcut. Nothing wrong with buying used trucks,adding workers ask for past employment reference's. you'll need workers comp for your employee's. GOOD LUCK:waving: