PDA

View Full Version : Securing mowers

plantzpropertymanagement
10-28-2006, 09:52 PM
I was just wondering if anybody has the prolockers on there trailers? And how do you like them. And also if you dont use them how do you lock down your mowers. Im curious because i dont secure my mowers and im getting a little tired of them jumping around and constantly looking in the review mirror to see if there still there haha. I dont want to use straps though it seems like that would take a bit to long to do.

d&rlawncare
10-28-2006, 10:53 PM
I was just wondering if anybody has the prolockers on there trailers? And how do you like them. And also if you dont use them how do you lock down your mowers. Im curious because i dont secure my mowers and im getting a little tired of them jumping around and constantly looking in the review mirror to see if there still there haha. I dont want to use straps though it seems like that would take a bit to long to do.

MICHIGAN LAW ONLY******Two straps are required by LAW on all machines under 10,000 pounds (4 if over 10,000) Its a 2 point moving violation. Just think if you got t-boned by a SUV or bigger vehicle, your mowers just became flying objects that will hurt someone and you just became the subject of a very big lawsuit. buy some straps and take the 3 min to secure your load. Keep the roads safe.

Lynden-Jeff
10-28-2006, 11:05 PM
THey also are not legal in ontario according to the MTO. My choice are fast straps by greentouch. They are awsome.

Cheers
Jeff

d&rlawncare
10-28-2006, 11:09 PM
THey also are not legal in ontario according to the MTO. My choice are fast straps by greentouch. They are awsome.

Cheers
Jeff

Whatever you use in MI has to meet 1/2 the working load limit (WLL). I dont know what those things are the guy in the first post is talking about. But unless they meet the WLL they are not legal. When it comes to mowers most straps you by that are at least 2 inches wide will work. Unless you by the crap from dollar general store.

They are not on my federal chart of WLL's so unless it has the WLL stamped on it its not legal.

Envy Lawn Service
10-28-2006, 11:30 PM
There is not replacement for a product from GreenTouch called Fastraps.

A pair of them per machine is the ONLY way to secure zero turn equipment quickly, effectively and ALSO KEEP IT STILL.

I know prolockers sponsors this forum and Greentouch does not.
But I'm sorry, they have them beat on the product.

1) Prolockers are more expensive

2) I don't believe it is a good idea to secure a mower by one caster tire

3) Securing a mower by (even both) front caster tires will NOT keep it still.

Lynden-Jeff
10-29-2006, 12:18 AM
There is not replacement for a product from GreenTouch called Fastraps.

A pair of them per machine is the ONLY way to secure zero turn equipment quickly, effectively and ALSO KEEP IT STILL.

I know prolockers sponsors this forum and Greentouch does not.
But I'm sorry, they have them beat on the product.

1) Prolockers are more expensive

2) I don't believe it is a good idea to secure a mower by one caster tire

3) Securing a mower by (even both) front caster tires will NOT keep it still.

This man speaks the truth :clapping:

Envy Lawn Service
10-29-2006, 12:40 AM
This man speaks the truth :clapping:

Thank you... Thank you :cool2:

Beau Rivage
10-29-2006, 07:34 AM
Just think if you got t-boned by a SUV or bigger vehicle, your mowers just became flying objects that will hurt someone and you just became the subject of a very big lawsuit.

Yikes...:eek: :eek: :eek: I hadn't thought of that one...I'm almost positive the law doesn't require anything here, but we grow more lawyers than Yale...and the roads here are simply writhing with SUVs and large pickups. Thanx, d&r...I love this site.:clapping:

parkeeee
10-29-2006, 07:41 AM
I use ratchet straps. The only time that I do not strap down my equipment is if I am moving the trailer a block or less.

rodfather
10-29-2006, 08:26 AM
what about for enclosed trailers?

macaw
10-29-2006, 08:53 AM
I have been using FastStraps for 3 years mowers stay where I put them.But I still keep a close eye on my load better safe than sorry.

RedMax Man
10-29-2006, 09:17 AM
I use Faststraps ... works awesome and don't cost nearly as much as Prolockers.

Envy Lawn Service
10-29-2006, 12:11 PM
what about for enclosed trailers?

Still easy to use the fastraps even in a tight one because you can set the strap binder where you want it on the tire for easy access to bind it down.

It hurts me to even think about a mower bouncing against the wall of an expensive enclosed trailer.

twj721
10-29-2006, 12:15 PM
with my mowers tried straps from SamClub they worked for a while then the wore into so now I just load them but as high as my sides are do not see them getting out unless I turn the trailer over the tractor on the other hand is a lot different we use 1 chain in frt and 1 chain at the back of the tractor

topsites
10-29-2006, 01:29 PM
This takes several years of practice and experience, I have dents in the front of the trailer to prove that much.

To practice, I set my wheelbarrow upright in the empty trailer, say anytime I am done with mulch or any other job, it's a 1-wheel barrow. Set it smack in the center, up right.

Then, I drive and take it easy: If the barrow moves 1 inch, I lose.
If it falls over, I'm fired.
The idea is to use the throttle as the sole means of controlling the speed of the vehicle, by accelerating nice and easy and slowing down early and staying WAY back! Absolutely no brakes is perfect, if not always possible, one can get real close.

Now, I set the parking brake on my Wb's and the Z, they haven't moved 1/4" in 2-3 years.

Btw, recommended minimum following distance from cars in front is 6-8 seconds (read: a loooong ways back).
Recommended maximum speed is the speed limit, recommended average is 5-10 below.
They already figure you for a slow moving vehicle, so give them the reason.

As for traffic, again this takes practice but study the rearviews and learn to veawe BACK through the packs, never try to keep up with all of today's wannabe formula drivers, let them go, the sooner they are gone, the better off you are: There is NO competition for last place, so don't try to be numero uno. Stay in the slow lane and let *EVERYBODY* pass you, and I mean e.v.e.r.y.b.o.d.y.
When anticipating a stop, let off the gas early enough so you don't have to step on the brakes until you're down to around 20mph...

As for time factors...
Time another Lco gains by flying down the road, I save by not tying it down (and more, you gain at most 1-2 minutes by driving like everybody else, you save at least 1-2 minutes not dealing with straps).
+ Money they spend on straps, wear and tear on truck tires + brakes + shocks + transmission + engine, etc = less money.

topsites
10-29-2006, 01:43 PM
The only thing I could see being beneficial is some type of auto-click lock that is bolted to the trailer floor, something I can drive into and Click it's latched, maybe one little flip of a steel piece to loosen it again.

But I'd sure hate to stub my toe on it, and I just know that would happen, sooner or later. So, I'd rather slow it down on the road.
If I still get too close to the car in front, I slow down more, and then more, and more still. One feather light throttle foot is the secret.

Bonus: 15+mpg

J&R Landscaping
10-29-2006, 04:15 PM
I secure my 2 mowers to the trailer with a few ratchet straps. Keeps everything nice and secure. Cops are cracking down big time if you dont have your equipment strapped down in some way!

Lynden-Jeff
10-29-2006, 10:04 PM
This takes several years of practice and experience, I have dents in the front of the trailer to prove that much.

To practice, I set my wheelbarrow upright in the empty trailer, say anytime I am done with mulch or any other job, it's a 1-wheel barrow. Set it smack in the center, up right.

Then, I drive and take it easy: If the barrow moves 1 inch, I lose.
If it falls over, I'm fired.
The idea is to use the throttle as the sole means of controlling the speed of the vehicle, by accelerating nice and easy and slowing down early and staying WAY back! Absolutely no brakes is perfect, if not always possible, one can get real close.

Now, I set the parking brake on my Wb's and the Z, they haven't moved 1/4" in 2-3 years.

Btw, recommended minimum following distance from cars in front is 6-8 seconds (read: a loooong ways back).
Recommended maximum speed is the speed limit, recommended average is 5-10 below.
They already figure you for a slow moving vehicle, so give them the reason.

As for traffic, again this takes practice but study the rearviews and learn to veawe BACK through the packs, never try to keep up with all of today's wannabe formula drivers, let them go, the sooner they are gone, the better off you are: There is NO competition for last place, so don't try to be numero uno. Stay in the slow lane and let *EVERYBODY* pass you, and I mean e.v.e.r.y.b.o.d.y.
When anticipating a stop, let off the gas early enough so you don't have to step on the brakes until you're down to around 20mph...

As for time factors...
Time another Lco gains by flying down the road, I save by not tying it down (and more, you gain at most 1-2 minutes by driving like everybody else, you save at least 1-2 minutes not dealing with straps).
+ Money they spend on straps, wear and tear on truck tires + brakes + shocks + transmission + engine, etc = less money.

That seems like flawed logic. I know my mowers won't go anywhere even if I did speed, but we strap them down for the "accidents" that could happen. What if an animal or kid runs out in front of your rig? What if some one T-bones your trailer? The laws here state IF your equipment moves even when overturned they are not strapped down enough. IMO not strapping down your equipment no matter how carefully you drive is extremely careless and irresponsible. Besides you don't lose more then 1 minute with fast straps and then I can go the speed limit, and not worry about my equipment killing some one if I have an accident whether its my fault or not. :dizzy:.

Jeff

d&rlawncare
10-30-2006, 08:31 AM
Yikes...:eek: :eek: :eek: I hadn't thought of that one...I'm almost positive the law doesn't require anything here, but we grow more lawyers than Yale...and the roads here are simply writhing with SUVs and large pickups. Thanx, d&r...I love this site.:clapping:

your welcome...

IF your state adopted the federal motor carrier safety act 181 (FMCSA) then it is required. All states have adopted PARTS of Act 181 into thier law. (Its easy to adopt the federal law when it comes to commercial laws that way all states are the same and you truck drivers dont have to change things from state to state.) You just have to find out if they adopted the cargo securement part or not.

d&rlawncare
10-30-2006, 08:34 AM
Still easy to use the fastraps even in a tight one because you can set the strap binder where you want it on the tire for easy access to bind it down.

It hurts me to even think about a mower bouncing against the wall of an expensive enclosed trailer.

Securment of somesort is still required in enclosed trailers. The walls do not count.

ENVY- were can I get the Fastraps??????

HydroCutter
10-30-2006, 09:12 AM
I find if I don't strap my mowers down, the gas cap leaks. Anyone else?

Envy Lawn Service
10-30-2006, 12:51 PM
Securment of somesort is still required in enclosed trailers. The walls do not count.

Tell me about it... that's why I said I wouldn't even think of it... because some of them a mower could just bump into during transport and do damage.

You should be able to get Fastraps through Greentouch or through Northern Tool.

rodfather
10-30-2006, 05:37 PM

uh oh...didn't know that

Total.Lawn.Care
10-30-2006, 05:45 PM
Faststraps available here...

http://www.fastrap.us/
http://www.greentouch.com/SD104.html

I have not ordered any yet, but they are on my list...

Berkshire
10-30-2006, 09:14 PM
I have an open trailer and use a pro locker. They are very fast to load and unload your mower from. The mower does tend to shift on the trailer a little bit, I would still recommend them I am happy with mine....

Berkshire
10-30-2006, 09:19 PM
I have an open trailer and use a pro locker. They are very fast to load and unload your mower from, the mower does tend to shift a little bit . I really like mine and would recommend them...

Berkshire
10-30-2006, 09:23 PM
sorry for the double post ,didnt think the first one went through......

DaughtryLC
10-30-2006, 10:11 PM
I always make sure my brakes on my mowers are tight and I never have any problems

bearmersch
11-02-2006, 12:15 PM
I never tie down my mower. Unless i am zoomin around like an idiot it never moves. My old boss didnt tie anything down either, never had problems as long as we drove in a sensable manner.

BQLC
11-02-2006, 01:04 PM

Be warned it is the law in Ms. I have a friend that works for the Motor Carrier Unit He told me he would give me a ticket if i did not secure the load on my tailer. (and i told him i would stop mowing his grass LOL) BTW I did get some straps and strap everything down

Beau Rivage
11-02-2006, 02:28 PM
Will do...I checked out my trailer and it looks like I just need one big strap to clamp down from one side to the other (running across the floor of my tractor.) I used to just tie the front bumper to the trailer...it kept it up front but it still bounced around when I hit an unexpected whooptedo.

pitrack
04-15-2010, 01:12 AM
Not to bring this thread back from the dead, but do the fastraps get in the way if say you don't have mowers on the trailer but have mulch or something like that?

It's hard to tell from the pictures but can the brackets come off easily or are they screwed in? I'm just wondering if they would get caught in a rake or tool or something when you're scooping materials off the trailer.

MrRob
04-15-2010, 01:24 AM
it just amazes me that you solo guys dont strap anything down. ITS THE LAW!

Hawg City Lawns
04-15-2010, 01:34 AM
Not to bring this thread back from the dead, but do the fastraps get in the way if say you don't have mowers on the trailer but have mulch or something like that?

It's hard to tell from the pictures but can the brackets come off easily or are they screwed in? I'm just wondering if they would get caught in a rake or tool or something when you're scooping materials off the trailer.

from what i see they are screwed down ive been thinking about investing in some myself the old liftall load hugger is starting to get on my nerves

Envy Lawn Service
04-15-2010, 03:17 AM
They screw down or bolt down... etc...

A little ingenuity on your part can make them "quick-tach" if you want them that way though.

I never have paid them any attention... just tuck the straps under the chocks and load up is all I ever do.

pitrack
04-15-2010, 10:28 AM
Thanks guys. I have a dump trailer for most materials anyways. I think I will give them a shot.

dunnbar
04-15-2010, 12:55 PM
I have used a pro locker on my scag for years with no problem. I also like the fact that it has a place for a lock on it, I use it all the time. That wheel is plenty to secure it. If your in a wreck that would cause your mower to fly off, you will have a lot more to worry about than if your mower shifts a bit or or not. the locker saves me time, is lockable and it is D.O.T. approved.

dunnbar
04-15-2010, 12:58 PM
Also you can pull a pin and the prolocker slides off of two low profile slide clamps that are mounted to the trailer.

pitrack
04-19-2010, 01:35 AM
Also you can pull a pin and the prolocker slides off of two low profile slide clamps that are mounted to the trailer.

I'll check those out as well. Thanks for the info.

lawnkingforever
04-19-2010, 10:47 AM
it just amazes me that you solo guys dont strap anything down. ITS THE LAW!

I 100% agree. Everything on my trailer gets secured properly, everytime, no exceptions. Those from the Pittsburgh area will remember the accident with the woodchipper that happened here a few years ago. A woodchipper not connected properly became disengaged on a highway, the chipper propelled across 2 lanes and right into a minivan, killing a father and 2 very young children. The third kid survived, but with very bad injuries. The police around here have not forgotten about this, nor should they, and are very tough on people hauling trailers and checking to make sure everything is secured properly. Not strapping equipment, is just plain stupid. If something would fall off of your trailer and injure or kill someone not only could you lose your business, you may go to jail. The guy involved in the chipper accident did go to jail.