PDA

View Full Version : OUR Latest Patio - input welcome

PerfiCut L&L
10-28-2006, 11:18 PM
Just finished our latest project. Heres some pics starting with the design photo (I submit one to every customer, prior to cunstruction). Helps to give them a visual of what it will look like. Its not perfect but it does help. Sorry for the large sizes. Will try to remember next time to resize first.

http://www.perficut.net/MYPICS/Des4-a.jpg

http://www.perficut.net/MYPICS/DSCF0342.JPG

http://www.perficut.net/MYPICS/DSCF0343.JPG

http://www.perficut.net/MYPICS/DSCF0344.JPG

http://www.perficut.net/MYPICS/DSCF0346.JPG

dcondon
10-28-2006, 11:23 PM
It looks great. Very nice looking job you did!!!:walking:

Squizzy246B
10-28-2006, 11:27 PM
Hey PC, I think your workmanship looks good, I noticed the tree surround is square not round...might have looked better round but it wouldn't fuss me...its just the colours that I think are bland. I assume thats what the client wanted and thats what matters. For the space I like the design and more importantly you pretty much built what you said you would at ther outset with you computer design. What program do you use?.

mbella
10-28-2006, 11:30 PM
What's the plan if that tree in the square box dies?

mrusk
10-28-2006, 11:31 PM
I would of put a boarder on the pavers.

I also think the two different levels takes away useable space.

Matt

Squizzy246B
10-28-2006, 11:32 PM
What's the plan if that tree in the square box dies?

Fire Box??:rolleyes:

mbella
10-28-2006, 11:36 PM
Fire Box??:rolleyes:

You Aussies think of everything.*aussieflag*

mbella
10-28-2006, 11:38 PM
Is there a reason you planted the tree in the patio?

PerfiCut L&L
10-28-2006, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the compliments.

SQUIZZ: I agree, the tree put should have been round, but due to the small diameter we had to work with and the location of the patio perimeter it would not have proven stable to create the round pit. So it was changed to a sqaure pit with a small bench ledge for the kids to sit at.

Colors are plane, but customer wanted it that way. We tried to convince them to go with a darker grey wall stone to provide some contrast but she wouldnt budge. No big deal.

PS: If you would have seen the yard prior to construction....oh my what a mess. We ripped out the old concrete patio 13x10. Some old overgrown ground cover and shrubs. Trimmed the back, and installed the rock garden. Budget prohibited a pondless waterfall, (perhaps next year).

MBELLA: Cut it down.:dancing: , Seriuosly, if it does die, and I dont think it will, we provided a barrier and irrigation system that should permit it to live for a quite a while. However, if it does, the area can be filled in with topsoil and used as a planter or fill with stones and a water feature. Who knows... lots of ideas.

PerfiCut L&L
10-28-2006, 11:42 PM
Is there a reason you planted the tree in the patio?

Fortunately we didnte plant it. It was their. The customer wanted to keep the two trees for shade purposes. And insisted the patio be the entire length of the house. The main idea, was 1st: eliminate as much grass as possible. (THEY HATE MOWING) 2nd, to provide as much usable space for entertaining both kids and adults, with room to BBQ.

mbella
10-28-2006, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the compliments.

SQUIZZ: I agree, the tree put should have been round, but due to the small diameter we had to work with and the location of the patio perimeter it would not have proven stable to create the round pit. So it was changed to a sqaure pit with a small bench ledge for the kids to sit at.

Colors are plane, but customer wanted it that way. We tried to convince them to go with a darker grey wall stone to provide some contrast but she wouldnt budge. No big deal.

PS: If you would have seen the yard prior to construction....oh my what a mess. We ripped out the old concrete patio 13x10. Some old overgrown ground cover and shrubs. Trimmed the back, and installed the rock garden. Budget prohibited a pondless waterfall, (perhaps next year).

MBELLA: Cut it down.:dancing: , Seriuosly, if it does die, and I dont think it will, we provided a barrier and irrigation system that should permit it to live for a quite a while. However, if it does, the area can be filled in with topsoil and used as a planter or fill with stones and a water feature. Who knows... lots of ideas.

Regardless of what you think, there is a possiblility that it will die. In my opinion, you should have planned the design to allow for replacement of the tree. If it was important enough to include in the original design, then replacement should be an option.

I'm still not sure why you placed it in the patio. It appears as though you could have planted it outside of the patio and given your client more usable space, which would have been a good thing given the fact that the usable space appears to be limited.

PerfiCut L&L
10-28-2006, 11:49 PM
I would of put a boarder on the pavers.
I also think the two different levels takes away useable space.
Matt

-Good idea for a border, and it probably would have looked good too. Thanks, will keep that in mind for future. Guess it slipped my mind during the design phase.

- We went through a number of designs before the finished product, and a sqaure/rectangle patio was one of them. Customer wanted something a little softer, something that flowed a little better, so we rounded things off a little.

http://perficut.net/MYPICS/RightRear1.jpg

http://perficut.net/MYPICS/LeftRear1.jpg

http://perficut.net/MYPICS/RightRear2.jpg

PerfiCut L&L
10-28-2006, 11:56 PM
MBELLA: The tree was their prior to construction, and the customer wanted to keep it. Perhaps we could have cut it down, and planted a new tree outside the patio, but that wasnt considered nor discussed. The customer wanted the patio to encompass the tree, so we did the best we could to ensure that best possible chance for survival in our design and installation. Unfortunately, as you mentioned, their is still the chance the tree will die regardless of our efforts and this was discussed. The customer was ok with the risks, and possible solutions in the event the tree does die.

mbella
10-29-2006, 12:08 AM
MBELLA: The tree was their prior to construction, and the customer wanted to keep it. Perhaps we could have cut it down, and planted a new tree outside the patio, but that wasnt considered nor discussed. The customer wanted the patio to encompass the tree, so we did the best we could to ensure that best possible chance for survival in our design and installation. Unfortunately, as you mentioned, their is still the chance the tree will die regardless of our efforts and this was discussed. The customer was ok with the risks, and possible solutions in the event the tree does die.

Why not build the patio so the tree can be easily replaced?

PerfiCut L&L
10-29-2006, 12:10 AM
What would you recommend that would allow for that?

Drafto
10-29-2006, 12:17 AM
Perfect cut - I am not a hater but some of my pet peeves showed up on your patio:

1. The steps going into the slider appear to be (from the patio up) 6" then 6" then 9" (that is 4" double lap siding right?).

2. The steps going down to grade appear to be (from the patio down) 8" then 6".

3. The wall near the arborvitae is 3" high? Total trip hazard, why not make that wall just course higher?

4. What is the height of the outside wall at its highest point? Looks like 15-21" in some spots, what is the code in your area for railing required? That patio would have been a perfect candidate for a sitting wall.

I am not ripping, just critiquing. Sometimes when it is all said and done you typically look at projects like a designer and realize now that you have a visual.......you would have done things differently. Except for some gaps in your walls it looks pretty good.

Dan

Drafto
10-29-2006, 12:19 AM
I almost forgot #5:

5. What are you going to do with that downspout?

Dan

kootoomootoo
10-29-2006, 01:11 AM
What software are you using? Looks good.

sheshovel
10-29-2006, 01:20 AM
It looks good though I also see the downspout as a big problem and the steps are way too narrow for the foot to safely step on.
Other than those things I think you did a good job.

Digdug
10-29-2006, 01:30 AM
Trees look good to me. If one dies , replace it. I dont see any problem.

TURFLORD
10-29-2006, 07:05 AM
Perfect cut - I am not a hater but some of my pet peeves showed up on your patio:

1. The steps going into the slider appear to be (from the patio up) 6" then 6" then 9" (that is 4" double lap siding right?).

3. The wall near the arborvitae is 3" high? Total trip hazard, why not make that wall just course higher?

4. What is the height of the outside wall at its highest point? Looks like 15-21" in some spots, what is the code in your area for railing required? That patio would have been a perfect candidate for a sitting wall.

I am not ripping, just critiquing. Sometimes when it is all said and done you typically look at projects like a designer and realize now that you have a visual.......you would have done things differently. Except for some gaps in your walls it looks pretty good.

Dan
I noticed #1 and #2 mysely. In my area 30" or more requires a rail or wall. I don't think the step up into the house was a lack of design on his part, but it would have been nice to make it level. I just did a small 60' sq. ft. landing where no digging was needed, except removing sod, because I had to raise the finished height 8" above grade and then regrade the lawn to match. I'm in no way going to rip his work because it's more than I'm capable of doing, being a small company.

paponte
10-29-2006, 08:26 AM
As stated, first things I noticed was the steps, the square box, and the need for a railing. For the side step I think there should have been a landing then 2 steps the same size. For the door entrance possibly one more step as well, or just higher risers. As far as the square box, I always say if working round... everything is round working square and everything is square. Code by us is anything over 8" needs a railing. As others have said a nice seat wall works, as well as raised planters.

Again, not ripping you apart just some friendly input. :)

PerfiCut L&L
10-29-2006, 09:16 AM

You got me. Your right, and I agree with you, I dont like the outcome myself either. One of out initial designs were to take the steps all the way up to the patio door for an even walk out. To do this the steps would have then extended out further from the house. The customer opted to go with this option to give them the most patio space. Personally, I dont like the first step out of the door to be down. But this was a discussion we had and the cust didnt mind this inconvenience in order to save patio space.
The design called for a single step, 8" up and 8"own. During our cleanup the extra top soil was raked closer to the step than designed so it reduces the down step to 6" (open to suggestions)
Hmmm.. much debate on this. Initial design called for it to be even with the pavers. With some extra stones, we (team and customer) decided to create a step look to this wall. Suppose we could have gone one more course. No particular reason why we didnt. Although we did look at the trip hazard issue and didnt felt this small section of the wall is out of the travel path just enough that it shouldnt cause a problem. Again, no particular reason why we stopped where we did, other than asthetics. Thanks for the questions though.
18" at the highest point, the lower level is 15" at its highest point. (code? honestly.... I'm not sure, and I know I should know this. This was our first elevated patio and we didnt take this into consideration. I will definately look into this for future reference. THe customer did not want any walls on the outer portion of the patio. We looked at that during the initial design. The squareness was a last minute fix once we realised a circle wasnt going to fit. A little better planning would have helped here. We opted to square it and raise it for a bench seat for the kids. Thank you.
Dan

Thank your for eye, and questions. Its amazing how many aspects/options/and potential problems have to be considered and solved prior to work beginning. We, have learned a great deal from this project and every project after should be that much better. Thank you.

mbella
11-03-2006, 11:30 PM
What would you recommend that would allow for that?

A larger opening and no wall block, just edgestone. That would allow for easier replacement if the tree died.

Drafto
11-04-2006, 12:01 AM
A larger opening and no wall block, just edgestone. That would allow for easier replacement if the tree died.

Personally, I think a "tree" in the middle of a patio is ridiculous. In 10 years, is does not matter if you have wall block or edgestone, that tree is going to be wrecking that patio.

Just my other $0.02

Dan

mbella
11-04-2006, 12:10 AM
Personally, I think a "tree" in the middle of a patio is ridiculous. In 10 years, is does not matter if you have wall block or edgestone, that tree is going to be wrecking that patio.

Just my other $0.02

Dan

I don't like it either, but he said it was already there and the customer wanted to keep it. My point was, make it easier to replace if necessary.

hollywood
11-10-2006, 08:26 PM
design images look great. what program did you use?

Overall, I think the job looks great. Keep it up.:)

countryclub
11-10-2006, 11:43 PM
Not to sound like the newbie in the group but man that looks good and how do i learn how to do that. I have done 2 smaller jobs that ground level and fairly straight forward but this is the kind of work that i would like to be able to produce. Any suggetions?

YardPro
11-11-2006, 08:05 AM
experience... experience... experience..

skidmaster
11-12-2006, 08:07 AM
Your workmanship is very nice! However, it would have looked better with one continuous flow. My eye is drawn to the long rectangular part of the patio yet it wants to look at the smaller round part. Chaotic. Also, square beds (planters) whatever you want to call it just don't mix well, but what do I know?

PerfiCut L&L
11-13-2006, 12:55 PM
We returned to property last week an installed the final step to slider. Which, by the way, is level. Someone mentioned the unlevelness of the steps. If nothing with the design is right, the project itself is level with 1" drop for every 8' , away from the house. Extra time was spent ensuring the levelness of this project. The siding on the house is off just slightly, and the cut that was made is not strait so that may give the illusion the steps are not level.

In any event. the project is complete with a final step added to the slider.

Thank you all for your input, and all will be noted in upcoming projects.

jbailey52
11-14-2006, 12:31 AM
Good job.. I dont know if you missed it.. or you just dont want to answer.. but what program did you do the CGI With?

thilawncare
11-15-2006, 09:16 PM
Looks like a PRO Landscape design am i correct... the plant material looks similar... dont know but it is very nice...