PDA

View Full Version : How to hardscape?

CROCODILE
10-28-2006, 10:51 PM
Hello folks,

I am very interested in learning about the techniques on hardscaping, such as proper retaining wall builds. Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to learn about this? Are there any books that someone can recommend to me?

I appreciate positive feedback:)

PerfiCut L&L
10-28-2006, 11:09 PM
Take some courses... or work with someone who has experience and learn. (thats probably the answer most would give)

In my case... I educated myself with as much research as I could. Theres a lot of material on how to's and do it yourselves on the internet. Thats where I first started. Followed that up with a few books and magazines fromthe local book store. Realised the construction techniques were very similar, but like most things, change slightly over the years. So what your read publshed recently, will very slightly from something published in the mid 90's. But the basics are still the same.

Do a small project. Something in your own yard or for a family member. Take some courses when you can, they offer a lot of good technical info. Attend some seminars. If you know someone who does hardscaping, ask if you tag along on a job or two. Even offer to help if you can.

These were some of things that worked for me, and I'm still learning every job we do. Its a continous process.

paponte
10-29-2006, 07:38 AM
Check with your local suppliers. Sometimes manufacturers will give courses at their locations, or have info on others. :)

PerfiCut L&L
10-29-2006, 07:54 AM
Yes, good suggsetion. Many suppliers offer manufacturer sponsored courses. Now is a good time to find and attend theses courses. You'll find a lot of classes are held between Nov and June, during the "off season". Same with landscape/hardscape/ shows at local convention centers.

Start with a call to your local suppliers, give them a call and ask if their having any hardscape classes coming up.

Great idea, paponte

Tim Wright
10-29-2006, 08:00 AM
1. ICPA.org

2. Versa-lok.com

3. uni-lock.com

Tim

paponte
10-29-2006, 08:07 AM
Independent Connecticut Petroleum Association??

I think he meant ICPI.org

Tim Wright
10-29-2006, 08:25 AM
Yup, Your right! Not sure how Iput the A in there.

ICPI.org

Thanks for catching that.

Tim

CROCODILE
10-29-2006, 09:20 AM
Thanks guys.
I appreciate the advice. I will be sure to pursue your suggestions. I respect the people that do this sort of thing, and would like to get involved, but only after some training.

thanks again,

crocodile.:walking:

neversatisfiedj
10-29-2006, 08:19 PM
Goto the National Hardscapes trade show in TN in March nect year. Look it up on www.pavetech.com

--Josh

Mike33
10-29-2006, 10:31 PM
Every one here just posted sincere quality information. I respect you for being honest and wish you luck. We are used to people bidding or obtaining a hardscape job then asking us how to do it and what to charge.
Mike
bobcatservice33.com

cedarcroft
11-02-2006, 12:58 PM
I have found alot of success in working with friends who are experienced hardscapers. I have done several walls and have gotten alot of hours under my belt on my own, but this time last year I had never even done a wall. I worked with friends and learned and now I am able to do them alone. I still look to others for help when needed. I would rather do that, than screw something up and kill someone or lose money. As for patios and flat work, I sub that out and work with the contractor to learn. I will do a small patio or walk at this point, but I am not good enough to do something big and make it profitable, so I sub it out. Learn and UNDERSTAND the basic techniques and then build on that knowledge with practical application.
Good Luck

Team-Green L&L
11-16-2006, 11:53 PM
Just finished the ICPI certification training and it provided us with an excess of knowledge. I was very pleased with the presentation and the testing was very intense. It left me feeling confident in all our future projects. Pave Tech offers an advanced training course, but recommends that you take the ICPI course first.