PDA

View Full Version : just got my edgit installed!

thesargent
10-29-2006, 02:57 PM
well i finally got an edgit attatchment for my trimmer. installation was a piece of cake, took no more that ten minutes. i cant wait to use it. tommorow will be the test, ill let you know how i like it. anyone have any tips for using it. i think it may take some time to get used to trimming left handed, but the benefits look great. faster, less fatigue, no more walking backwards.

brucec32
11-23-2006, 01:46 AM
I've had one a few months now and can't remember how I did without one before. Tips would be:

1. remember not to spool out too much line or it'' bog down the engine, straining it, and will give a less neat edge floppin' about.

2. Try to keep the line side of it pointing into the lawn rather than facing the curb. you'll use less line that wha. I found that I am using a lot less trimmer line now with it.

3. the disc may not always turn if dirty, but just continue on, putting some pressure downward on it to hold it in the groove.

4. Walk forward most of the time, disc on the curb, line doing its thing. I use a grip where my right hand does the throttle and the left steadies the unit up top. I use medium throttle most of the time, unless it gets heavy.

5. Walk forward with the unit to your side . The wheel can be either just ahead of you, beside you, or just behind you, depending on how you feel best.

6. Be patient, it takes a day or so to get comfortable with it, expecially with the line length control and the "flips" you have to do sometimes to get it lined up the way you want it.

Gives me super sharp edges and I do them at a full walk pace forward. In the past I had to walk backwards and support the weight of the machine on my back muscles, so I dreaded large areas of edging. Now it's no big deal. Best tool I've come accross since the ztr.

Howard Roark
11-23-2006, 08:55 AM
Does it cut down on rocks and debris that shoot out while edging with a trimmer?

naturescape
11-23-2006, 09:50 AM
See my old thread:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=152055

Holding the Edgit this way is going to make things a LOT easier for you! I switch back and forth with mine, dragging it behind me left handed for edging as in the pic, and holding it right handed for trimming.

WJW Lawn
11-23-2006, 10:00 AM
Would you guys sell your edger after using edgit? Im just curious to see if thats how good it really is...

naturescape
11-23-2006, 10:25 AM
Would you guys sell your edger after using edgit? Im just curious to see if thats how good it really is...

The Edgit, walk behind edger (Tanaka), and stick edger all have a place on the truck. Of the 3, the one easiest to do without is the stick edger. I know few would agree tho..... but I've been mowing for 25 years, and that's my opinion.

jameson
11-23-2006, 10:33 AM

The ole PowerTrims edgers are now anchoring the back of the shop - we take 'em out at the beginning of the season to sweetin' up some edges - other than that - the only maintenance they see these days is a good dusting - :dizzy:

abcfamily
11-23-2006, 11:16 AM
Anyone have pictures or a website so I can see exactly what it is you are referring to? I'm thinking that is is a dinner plate looking attachment that attaches to the end of a string trimmer. Thanks

FATWEASEL
11-23-2006, 12:23 PM
Anyone have pictures or a website so I can see exactly what it is you are referring to? I'm thinking that is is a dinner plate looking attachment that attaches to the end of a string trimmer. Thanks

The name is the website or just google it.

thesargent
11-23-2006, 08:20 PM
by the way i am very pleased with my edgit. it cuts a nice edge, on an already existing edge. the bladed edger has its place, very overgrown edges. the edgit is for regular edge maintenance.

brucec32
11-24-2006, 10:19 PM
I used my bladed edger just once this year, on an overgrown lawn. But I have never used it much in the past. the edgit does seem to deflect stones away a little better.

syzer
11-25-2006, 07:06 PM
I sure wish they would make it for some other models!

BUCKEYE MOWING
11-25-2006, 11:18 PM
What trimmer do you need one for ?

jameson
11-25-2006, 11:30 PM
What trimmer do you need one for ?

If you are asking what trimmer(s) the edgit is compatible with - go to: http://edgit.com/ - click on 'order form' for a list of trimmer(s).

naturescape
11-26-2006, 12:53 AM
I sure wish they would make it for some other models!

I use one on a Tanaka. I used a gearbox from an Echo, mounted to the Tanaka.

dave k
11-26-2006, 05:10 PM
I hated mine, sent it back, the wheel kept sticking, never could get used to it, it did a nice job though, just went back to my stick edger, I see guys who just use their string trimmer to edge with, but I could never get used to that either.

naturescape
11-27-2006, 12:42 PM
I hated mine, sent it back, the wheel kept sticking, never could get used to it, it did a nice job though, just went back to my stick edger, I see guys who just use their string trimmer to edge with, but I could never get used to that either.

I'm on my second one, the first lasted me for about 5 years, I probably did at least one third of my edging with it. I often use my Tanaka 550 wb as I usually have several accounts in one place.

John Gamba
11-27-2006, 01:06 PM
I'm on my second one, the first lasted me for about 5 years, I probably did at least one third of my edging with it. I often use my Tanaka 550 wb as I usually have several accounts in one place.

Ho Ho Ho Ray:waving: