PDA

View Full Version : Working in the dark?

mkwl
10-29-2006, 05:41 PM
For all of you guys out there who are in High School, how do you get your whole route done before dark? With standard time back, and getting home from School around 3:30PM, and with it getting dark around 5PM (or earlier), how do you get it all done before dark? I have it down to 1-2 lawns/day (weekdays), working a lot more on weekends, but still, with the yards being 1 1/2- 2 acres each, with a lot of leaves on them every week, and mowing after getting the leaves up, I'll be finding myself working in the dark for sure. So, what do the rest of you guys do? Also, do any of you guys start a job one day (like just blowing), and finish it (mowing) the next day? I think I might have do do this, if it gets too dark to mow on a particular lawn...does anyone else do this? Anyone else working on Halloween?...I will be...for sure!

So, what do you do?

lawncare18
10-29-2006, 06:16 PM
worked on my golf course till 8 30 on friday night runing lights of a generator.. had to get the new green ready for sod so we now work late as we posibly can !!!Id say for you blow a few lawns one day then go back and mow em.. they cant be growing to fast anymore...

RedMax Man
10-29-2006, 06:24 PM
Yea i'm 17 so i can only do 1-3 properties this time of year on a week day. Were always finishing the last lawn in the dark and putting the euipment away also. Some properties i do over the course of 2 day but i like to do a job all at once if possible. But it does get a little tough.:laugh:

lawnmaniac883
10-29-2006, 06:25 PM
Well, by now I only have to cut every other week so it isnt that big a deal. I can still knock out ~5 lawns in 2 1/2 hours and I get home around 2:30 so, not a problem.

I have worked in the dark but not on residentials, worked till 10:00 on a commercial lot I have mostly trimming by the trucks headlights.

RedMax Man
10-29-2006, 06:28 PM
Yes i will be out cleaning up leaves on Halloween ... cash means more to me than candy. Better keep an eye on my equipment so that it doesn't get egged or damaged by any nerds.

qualitylawnmanagement
10-29-2006, 06:49 PM
I get out of school at 2:30 and I bring my equipment with me so I am at a job site no later then 3:00 and I can get done about 6 property's or more by the time it gets dark. Also how many accounts are you doing? And at 1 1/2 to 2 acres I think you need to upgrade to a bigger rider if they are that big. I can knock out a 3 acre property with two mowers and trim them and blow them off and be done in 25mins. Also we don't don't blow out the beds then come back the next day cause at night it gets windy and all the leaves are back in the beds and your back to square one again.

N&CLandscaping
10-29-2006, 07:25 PM
Saturdays and Sundays my man. I get out everyday at 2:30 home by 3:30 mon-thurs. Drive on Fri, cuts time down a little. When after school, I work right up until dark. But mostly SAT-SUN ALL DAY LONG!!!

MysticLandscape
10-29-2006, 07:35 PM
I get out of school at 1:50 and I am working at 3. We are done mowing and are only doing clean-ups starting tmorw. We are going to do three clean-ups a day for the next four weeks, and 10 a day on weekends.

BSDeality
10-29-2006, 07:40 PM
Lights!! I do all the detail work blowing out beds, tight areas, etc in the daylight and leave the "wide open" work for after dusk. I have lights on my rider and will let it idle and light my way while I'm running a blower or pushing piles with it. Getting dark @ 5:30 now really cuts into the cleanups especially when there is a heavy frost to keep everything stuck to the grass in the morning hours. I couldn't start until 10am the other day cause of a heavy frost.

NNJLandman
10-29-2006, 09:52 PM
Hire someone to work for you while your in school. I have one guy who works for me while I have class soon as im done I head on over and help him. I always try to finish my jobs the same day...blow and mow because you could have a storm that night or something and all your work is blown.

Jeff

stuffdeer
10-29-2006, 10:06 PM
I refuse to work weekends, unless it is raining.

You guys should out some fog lights on your mowers, it helps

MysticLandscape
10-29-2006, 10:21 PM
I refuse to work weekends, unless it is raining.

You guys should out some fog lights on your mowers, it helps

Some of us don't have a choice, I got 55+ accounts and it can't be done with only three hours a day to work.

DBL
10-29-2006, 10:44 PM
my brother and all my help are still in school but 2 guys get out at 1230 and we go from there thank god everythign has slowed down so we dont work that late...start leaves real soon so may be working late again

HOOLIE
10-30-2006, 12:14 AM
I'm not in high school...but really this time of year you don't need to be on a 'schedule' the grass is not growing much...and leaves can be unpredictable...

I tell the customers I will be by every 10-14 days this time of year.

Honestly I've never seen anyone mow in the dark here, must be a northern thing...