PDA

View Full Version : How do you change the cutting height on 52" Ferris?

Dunn's
10-29-2006, 09:00 PM
Hey guys how do you Change the cutting height on a 52" Ferris Hyrdro walk behind. It is an older model that we just got the owners manual on Ferris's website says this http://www.ferrisindustries.com/pdf_files/TP_100_7056_03_WD_F.pdf

But we don't see any spacers on our mower now. We will post pictures tommorrow. Could it be possible that the spacer are under the deck on our model. It is a DDS52KA we believe, but the infromation is rubbed of the model/serial# plate. All that is there is DDS52KA engraved in the plate.

edward hedrick
10-29-2006, 09:38 PM
I have a 61" Scag 3 wheel and a 52 Lesco. There are 5 spacers for blade height Take off the blade spindle. My Scag has 5 spacers. Depends on the season for placement. To raise the blade take a spacer off the bottom place it on top under the nut. In the spring I use 1 on top, 4 on the bottom.
Later from late spring to early fall 2 on top 3 on bottom. For fall 0 on top
5 on bottom w Gator blades.I usually run 3 spacers on bottom of castor
1on th top. If I need extra height 4 spacers on the bottom of castor.
Ed

Dunn's
10-29-2006, 09:46 PM
Thanks Now is there some way to raise and lower the deck. Sorry for asking such dumb questions. But all we have used previously where floating deck that you adjust the height by turning a crank, unless you wanted to change it from the high cutting ranges to the low cutting ranges or vice versa.

edward hedrick
10-29-2006, 10:04 PM
There is an adjustment where the deck attaches . I have both on the highest.
My mid season set up is 2 top 3 bottom, iF we get lots of growth I'll
change to 3 top 2 bottom before we go out. When out I set castor
1t 3 b. I can raise the deck about 1/2" w 0 t 4b on castors. If I need more height I use my 52 Toro w float deck at 41/2" Then once over w scag . Ed

edward hedrick
10-29-2006, 10:10 PM
another comment I used to use a 52 Lesco and a 61 Scag. but both have the same deck design. I had a 44 Toro which I sold. Then bought a 52 Toro
for following season. I sue them as a Team. Iuse the 52 Lesco as a back up.
Ed

rodfather
10-29-2006, 10:47 PM
I have Ferris 52" dual drive WB's. There are 3 ways to change the deck height and they range from easy to being a pita.

1. You should have 3 (1/2") spacers each on both of the front caster wheel mounts to raise and lower the deck height.

2. You should have 5 (1/4") spacers each under the deck between the bottom of the blade deck bolt and the spindle.

3. They is 2 different mounting settings for the entire deck to the frame itself.

Dunn's
10-30-2006, 11:24 AM
Thanks Everyone.
Thanks Rod I saw the to bolts on each side of the deck they with two more hole that where empty just didn't want to remove them until i was sure. Also the space on the fron you said 3 of them. Should the be play in the castor wheel between the spacer and the pin that holds them on. I thought the play might be in case the decks front scalp roller hit ground to lift the deck up a little as not to scalp. Is this correct in my observation. I also saw under the deck the 1/2 spacer your where talking about between the blade and the spindle. Just wasn't entirely sure if that was the spacers to move on top.Also how much do the new front castor wheels and castor cost around, one of them is bent a liitle and the weld is seperating from the post to the castor hub housing I guess that is what you would call it.

rodfather
10-30-2006, 05:46 PM
There should be no play in the front castor wheels...that top pin is there to hold everything tight.

I can't remember the full price of the front tire and castor yoke. I can tell ya thought we have had to purchase a few over the years. What happens is you go forward under a bush or something, back up and something catches the pin and releases it. The next thing you know you're going along nicely when WHAM you run over the tire and yoke cause you went through just enough of a depression it comes off completely. The sound of that is enough to scare the living crap out of anyone, believe me.

There was a new thread exactly about what I am talking about within the last month or less.

all ferris
10-30-2006, 08:41 PM
Thanks Everyone.
Thanks Rod I saw the to bolts on each side of the deck they with two more hole that where empty just didn't want to remove them until i was sure. Also the space on the fron you said 3 of them. Should the be play in the castor wheel between the spacer and the pin that holds them on. I thought the play might be in case the decks front scalp roller hit ground to lift the deck up a little as not to scalp. Is this correct in my observation. I also saw under the deck the 1/2 spacer your where talking about between the blade and the spindle. Just wasn't entirely sure if that was the spacers to move on top.Also how much do the new front castor wheels and castor cost around, one of them is bent a liitle and the weld is seperating from the post to the castor hub housing I guess that is what you would call it.

Get yourself over to Scotts Power Equipment and Talk to Mike in parts and he will get you everything you need. They stock alll that stuff and they will show you how to change height settings.