PDA

View Full Version : Protecting your Skid Steer at the Job Site

SouthernYankee
10-30-2006, 05:04 PM
I work solo, so if I have to leave a job site while I am doing work to get material, dump a load of brush etc, I will have to leave my machine and trailer where I am working. The area of Houston that I am working in isnt a bad section at all, but I am always careful in regards to my equipment which I have spent a lot of money on.

If you were in my situation, how would you secure your machine and trailer? I dont plan on leaving this equipment on the jobsite over night, just while I am off doing errands. Thoughts??

mrusk
10-30-2006, 06:23 PM
You never leave your machine over night??

Basically if someone wants your machine they are going to steal it. Best protection is insurance. I pay like 350 a year for full coverage on my 06 cat 246.

Matt

Lawnsmithcare
10-30-2006, 06:58 PM
You can put a GPS unit on them as well to track them at all times.

all ferris
10-30-2006, 07:03 PM
A hidden fuel cut of switch????

As said above, insurance is great.

Never leave the machine on the trailer (thats just begging to be stolen)

Park the equipment and trailer in a strategic fashion and lock everthing.

G.L. In Ont
10-30-2006, 07:05 PM
Take the key (hopefully you figured that out already) and get the Boomerang just in case. Also put the bucket down and have the front wheels lifted up off the ground.

Tigerotor77W
10-30-2006, 07:25 PM
Lock the cab door and close the windows... may be a moot point since a key will open the door and start the engine, but I've been able to get inside a machine due to negligence on these two factors.

coney12
10-30-2006, 08:13 PM
I work solo, so if I have to leave a job site while I am doing work to get material, dump a load of brush etc, I will have to leave my machine and trailer where I am working. The area of Houston that I am working in isnt a bad section at all, but I am always careful in regards to my equipment which I have spent a lot of money on.

If you were in my situation, how would you secure your machine and trailer? I dont plan on leaving this equipment on the jobsite over night, just while I am off doing errands. Thoughts??

What I like to do is, back the loader up to the wall,so you cannot access it from the engine compartment. Also, i usually have it parked in the front of the house by a window.That way,the thief might feel as if someone is watching it.

sunray
10-30-2006, 08:57 PM
Exellent idea coney12,I always back mine up against a tree and lock it.I have the key pad and I don't want anything to happen to it, but at least they can't mess with the engine.

dozerman21
10-30-2006, 09:47 PM
If you can, try to park under a street light as well. I would unload your skid and put the bucket on top of the trailer at the hitch so it would be harder to steal either one. Definetly lock the engine door. I take my equipment home every night, but I've had to leave them a few times. I'm always more worried about vandalism or kids screwing with something than I am having it stolen. Definetly have insurance.

Dirty Water
10-30-2006, 09:56 PM
The guys with Ex's around here curl the bucket around the hitch of the trailer.

All of our machines have hidden kill switches.

Digdug
10-30-2006, 10:20 PM
You could try a lo -jack . They can locate your machine within minutes of calling them. I think its a one time fee of 4-500 ? I had a 2005 Cat 257 tracked skid steer stolen off a front lawn of a job last summer. Kinda sucks. doug

Scag48
10-31-2006, 02:48 AM
Here's what I would do in order of first priorities.

1. Buy insurance.

2. Always park with rear of machine against a tree or if you have trailer, bring machine up against hitch or even run the front tires up on the back of the trailer.

3. Either a fuel cutoff or power relay from the battery will suffice.

4. I can't remember who makes them, but they're metal control lock for the joysticks/control levers. They can be cut if the guy really wants the machine, but they help keep most guys honest.

5. Lojack is the best option.

A low cost idea to throw guys off would be to throw an antenna up on the back of the machine and make it look like it has GPS locator. I read in an industry magazine an article about equipment theft, they actually interviewed a guy who used to steal equipment and he told the magazine if it had any "James Bond crap" on it, he'd leave it alone. Also, the more organized you make yourself look, the better. Most thieves know that if you're trying hard, they're wasting their time with you. They'll go for the guy that leaves the machine parked away from a lit area with the cab doors and windows open, maybe with a key in the ignition. It's like trying to outrun a grizzly bear, you only have to outrun the slowest guy. A few steps toward the right direction will put you miles ahead of the guys who don't take theft seriously. Those are the guys who are going to get their stuff stolen eventually.

ksss
10-31-2006, 08:33 PM
Well Texas has one of the highest rates of equipment theft in the nation. I am assuming due to the close proximity to the border. The old saying "why hunt a lion when there are so many sheep available" goes along way. Anything you can do to make stealing your machine a PINA all the better. There are many machines that are easy to take. A thief typically isn't going to go out of his way to "jack" your machine if he has to work at it. The Lojack system is cool but once the machine is undercover the sat system isn't any good. Insurance is a no brainer as far as I am concerned. Considering what they cost to replace it would be silly not to put coverage on them.