PDA

View Full Version : Do you recommend Red Hawk???

paul vroom
10-30-2006, 06:50 PM
Hello, Can I get some feed back on the Red Hawk Mowers, I can get a 48" WB for $2,300 out of the box. I was told that it was a Hydro but I did not see a Hydro on there web page. Is this a quality mower?? Thanks for any feed back.

olderthandirt
10-30-2006, 06:57 PM
Never owned one But I did a side by side comparision between it and scag a gravley. When looking at them right next to known brand all I will say is you get what you pay for. I seen many problems with the Red Hawks that led me to believe that I would spend a lot of time on repairs

MMLawn
10-30-2006, 07:20 PM
I'd absoultely recommend it...............

as a BOAT ANCHOR.

Mow"N"Bud
10-30-2006, 09:44 PM
Here is the information I gathered this past late winter in prep for this past season. I do alot of research on anything I buy, so I like to know what I am buying. I hope this helps you.

The following mowers are all made in the same plant in China, and I even went so far as to print all their owners manuals, and the only thing that distinguishes the different parts is their paint jobs which are identified by a - and color code, otherwise all the part numbers are the same. Some of the following list are American owned brands, but they market these cheap Chinese Knock-offs. Remember these are all the same walk-behind just different colors for different manufactures.

Lesco
Read Hawk
Dixon
Piranah

I was really surprised when I discovered this, and believe me, if you put one of these cheapies beside a trust worthy brand name walk-behind you can see the difference. These don't even hold a candle to say a Scag, Gravely, Snapper, Hustlers, or Exmark. It's an old saying, but you will get what you pay for.

Good luck

Mowingman
10-30-2006, 09:50 PM
Add to your Chinese clone list the following: Bradley, and Dixie Chopper. There are at least 2 more, but I can not remember then right now.

Here is the information I gathered this past late winter in prep for this past season. I do alot of research on anything I buy, so I like to know what I am buying. I hope this helps you.

The following mowers are all made in the same plant in China, and I even went so far as to print all their owners manuals, and the only thing that distinguishes the different parts is their paint jobs which are identified by a - and color code, otherwise all the part numbers are the same. Some of the following list are American owned brands, but they market these cheap Chinese Knock-offs. Remember these are all the same walk-behind just different colors for different manufactures.

Lesco
Read Hawk
Dixon
Piranah

I was really surprised when I discovered this, and believe me, if you put one of these cheapies beside a trust worthy brand name walk-behind you can see the difference. These don't even hold a candle to say a Scag, Gravely, Snapper, Hustlers, or Exmark. It's an old saying, but you will get what you pay for.

Good luck

Mow"N"Bud
10-30-2006, 09:56 PM
I forgot about the Bradley, but your are correct. I didn't know about the Dixie Chopper, because there is no dealer around here for the Dixie Choppers. Boy you could have hit me with a brick. I sort of always assumed Dixie Choppers were good mowers, but if they went cheap on the walk-behinds, it makes me wonder what else they went cheap on?

Mowingman
10-30-2006, 11:36 PM
Rumor has it that Dixie Chopper is going through some hard times right now. Bank loans due, poor sales, models that they can't give away, the need for some total redesigns, etc., etc.
They came out with 3 new walkbehind models. At leat 2 of the three are from that Chinese bunch. The smallest of the three may also be Chinese, or, it is AYP or MTD. All three are junk by most anyone's standards. I guess it is a desperate move by a company trying hard to survive. At least the silver and black looks pretty good on them.:) :)

mowingmachine
10-31-2006, 12:13 AM
I saw the new Dixie Chopper walk behinds in their booth at the Expo this year. I thought they looked an awful lot like the Red Hawk.

Jason Rose
10-31-2006, 12:37 AM
I hate to break this to you but Lesco is NOT Chinese. They are made by MTD pro and are not even CLOSE to being in the same class as those others mentioned.
Red Hawk
Dixon
Piranah
Bradley
All roll off the same assembly line and are just painted to match the brand mower they are going to be.