PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Letsshootthebull at the gas pump??

all ferris
10-30-2006, 08:34 PM
I know this happens to all of us when we're at the pumps filling up. It happens to me about once a week. The guy on the other side of the pump sees a trailer full of equipment he wishes he had and he comes over to "eye up" the equipment and to shoot the breeze. I guess I look like I have all the time in the world to answer his questions and listen to his stories. He asks says stuff like "Ferris....I've never heard of them" and "how much do one of those mowers cost?", "Redmax....who makes those and where do you get them", "how much do you charge to cut an average size yard?". I don't know about you guys but I just pretend like I can't hear him and I say "what??" after every one of his dumb questions in hopes that he will go back to his side of the pump. What kind of question do you guys get and how do you handle this type of situation when you're really busy and don't have time to BS??

meets1
10-30-2006, 08:52 PM
People do that to us all the time. Equipment, trucks trailers etc. Best one was this guys ask what engine is in the truck to pull a trailer like that full of equipment? I said point blake "I really don't know. All I can say is it Da*& big! The other guy said - it must be! Now to be honest with you all - typical landscape trailer with 2 Z and 1 44Wb.

Willofalltrades
10-30-2006, 08:56 PM
I picked up two accounts by shootin the breeze this year lol. It can eventually pay off. The most common question: How much does a machine like that cost? lol. I tell them the truth so they shut up.

topsites
10-30-2006, 09:03 PM
Yeah, I usually ignore them... Keep right on doing what I'm doing, don't say a word, don't acknowledge their presence...
Most get 1 maybe 2 sentences out and head on. If they don't, a short-fused answer or two usually takes care of it.

Wait until they get smart, and come up to you pretending (and expertly so) like they have work needs doing...

It gets better with time, once I had enough of it and developed that F.U. look on my face, most stay away from the gitgo.

It's also the reason I got into Fleet account fueling stations, almost never get that thou they do have one station where the funny guys go, I think it's a dealership uses the place.

Other than that, the ones frustrate me come up to me while I'm working, the gas station problem is basically over with.
I try ignoring those but it doesn't always work, they keep on and on and on... Until I give them the boot, then it stops.

mbricker
10-30-2006, 09:50 PM
What's with you guys with the grouchy attitude towards your fellow man? It's not like you're going anywhere while you're pumping that gas. So maybe the guy next to you is a bozo, a little pleasant conversation could not possibly hurt you. When you're done filling up, say, "Hey man, got to go. Have a good one," and get on down the road to your next job.

Or maybe that is one of the differences between the places some of you live, and my part of the Ozarks, where it is totally normal to be friendly to someone you never saw before and will probably never see again. And maybe this is part of the reason we don't have so much of the drive-by shootings, people ripping off your equipment while you're working in the customer's back yard, etc.

tjsquickcuts
10-30-2006, 09:54 PM
This is a good topic.....Just happened to me today....A start up lawn guy comes up to me while we were @ the Landscape Supply place picking up top soil and mulch....He walks up, and looks at all the flowers (40 Flats) and the equipment on the other truck and just start chopping his jaws away....man thats a whole lotta flowers,...man that sure is some nice stuff you got....both them your trucks......I mean this guys talked about his mother, his kids, when he was little....mean while I am trying to be nice, was having a terrific day, High 70's, and nothing but sunshine and here this guy was ruining my day.....He asked question, after question, as I sat there and eye balled my supplier so that we would hurry up and get someone to take care of my order.....but he finally pissed me off when he asked if I had some customers that I didnt want..mmmaaaaannnn...I told that **blanker** that I worked hard to acquire and maintain each and everyone of my customers, and as bad as it was in the begining for me, I never asked anyone for anything.....There are plenty of people out there needed someone with a murry 42 inch rez sit down, and about 4 push mowers all looking like they were bought at a yard sale, but where I service, the homeowners asscioation would make him pack up and leave and fine the homeowner for potentially bring down the value of the neighbor:) .....I mean hell, I gave this guy settle hints that I really wasnt trying to hold to much of a convo....but he just didnt get it until I had to cut him off.....and I hated to do that.....and I really dont have a problem with anyone coming up and looking and making a comment or two but, time is money, and I try to keep it short and simple.....I used to enjoy it when I was growing, but now that I am not working 12 hrs days any more time is precious......

lawnwizards
10-30-2006, 09:57 PM
What's with you guys with the grouchy attitude towards your fellow man? It's not like you're going anywhere while you're pumping that gas. So maybe the guy next to you is a bozo, a little pleasant conversation could not possibly hurt you. When you're done filling up, say, "Hey man, got to go. Have a good one," and get on down the road to your next job.

Or maybe that is one of the differences between the places some of you live, and my part of the Ozarks, where it is totally normal to be friendly to someone you never saw before and will probably never see again. And maybe this is part of the reason we don't have so much of the drive-by shootings, people ripping off your equipment while you're working in the customer's back yard, etc.
its kinda like some of the threads on here, you get tired of repeating the same thing over and over and over.

DaughtryLC
10-30-2006, 09:59 PM
The Biggest one I get Is " Do You Do lawn Care??", keep in mind I have a Sign on both sides of my truck and back glass that says Daughtry Lawn Care.:sleeping: :hammerhead:

sunray
10-30-2006, 10:10 PM
I would find it a sorry life if I didn't have a few minutes to shoot the breeze. What is your purpose in life, what if people treated your wife and kids like that everyday.
Yea there the same dumb questions, but that guy might really have a crumby life, and talking to you could be a bright spot in his day.

Uranus
10-30-2006, 10:15 PM
I usually keep on doing what I'm doing. Make it seem like I'm in a rush and give really basic answers. Usually they get the hint and I dont loose much time cuz somone whats to chew the fat.

howardsells2000
10-30-2006, 10:18 PM
I know this is my first year but I don't have any problems speaking with people while I'm pumping gas. People are courious sometimes. If I'm in a hurry or if I'm at a job, I'm polite but explain that I have a lot of work to do and need to keep at it. A lot of you guys sound a bit stuck up. But I don't really think you are because you answer lots of questions on this site without hesitation. Most of you give great advise and don't seem bothered to help fellow LCO's.

the scaper
10-30-2006, 10:19 PM

Well said, I would never disrespect someone who was showing admiration for me or my equipment, If I'm in a hurry I'll just let em know I have to go, but I'll say it in a respectful way. Whats that old saying? "treat others as you would have them treat you". life is short boys- don't let the rat race get the best of it!

Sandgropher
10-30-2006, 10:35 PM
The Biggest one I get Is " Do You Do lawn Care??", keep in mind I have a Sign on both sides of my truck and back glass that says Daughtry Lawn Care.:sleeping: :hammerhead:

I get the same do you mow grass??? i am thinking of getting a tattoo across my forehead it will say "YES"!!!!:laugh:

mike lane lawn care
10-30-2006, 10:39 PM
i get this all the time too! I don't have signs on the trailer or truck, but the simplicty, the 21", trimmer, edger and blower should give it away. What i really think is funny, is when i'm at the gas station and a large company pulls in with a huge truck and 2 or 3 scag ZTR's, and pull right next to me. They give that demeaning look and get out and make a huge production of filling up their ZTR's. But i'm the one with the look when they drive by my accounts and just stare at the quality.

another place of conversation is home depot and the nursery, they look at the truck and start asking away, once i tell tehm what the products cost, they just walk away.

all ferris
10-30-2006, 10:47 PM
Whats that old saying? "treat others as you would have them treat you". life is short boys- don't let the rat race get the best of it!

I don't waste other peoples time so I don't like it when people waste mine.

I've got 8 months to make enough money to last for 12 months and I usually leave the house at 6:30am and don't come home till dark. I'm not trying to be mean to currious people but when I'm busy I hate it when people stop me to ask stupid questions. The other good ones are when poeple stop me and want my advice on what they should do to their lawn to make it look better. I never say it but I always feel like telling them that I have a $50 "consultation fee".

meets1
10-30-2006, 11:05 PM
Exactly - $50 consult fee! I often refer to this as a "babysitting fee" and ask to who should I send the bill. Nice but yet smarta*&'ish and yet we both laugh and on our way. I only have so much daylight - guys only work x amount of hours but at the sametime - I have to laugh once in a while. Obvious - Do you do lawn care? Nope - just transporting equipment around for a lawn care company. "they say - really?? YEP later

WalkerMike98
10-30-2006, 11:20 PM
Leave the diesels running and ignore them. I know this sounds harsh but if I had a nickel for every minute of my time some cheap person has wasted I could retire.

ProStreetCamaro
10-30-2006, 11:21 PM
I think some of you guys need an attitude adjustment. We have picked up work just chatting with people that have questions. Who cares if they ask something dumb? Its not dumb to them if they are asking it. What if you get a call from one of those people and when you show up they realise you gave them the cold shoulder one day so they get somebody else?

DLCS
10-30-2006, 11:35 PM
If you don't have a minute or two to talk while your pumping gas then something is wrong. I have picked up several jobs by just answering questions while I'm at the gas station or getting lunch.

dcondon
10-30-2006, 11:36 PM
I think some of you guys need an attitude adjustment. We have picked up work just chatting with people that have questions. Who cares if they ask something dumb? Its not dumb to them if they are asking it. What if you get a call from one of those people and when you show up they realize you gave them the cold shoulder one day so they get somebody else?

Thats how we pick up many jobs also. I'm always willing to spend the extra 2 mins to talk with somebody!!!!:waving:

KS_Grasscutter
10-30-2006, 11:36 PM
I always try to be polite to everyone, feels it may help my business image some. If someone is at the gas pump next to me, I usually say good afternoon or something, i feel 5 mins cant hurt anything. That is like a flower bed cleanup job i was doing at a local retirement community. A couple residents were walking by and I said hi and commented about the nice weather we were having. Five mins. later when they continued their walk, my helper asked me WHY i wasted time talking to them when we could have got done that much qucker. I just told him that i am sure they enjoyed talking to us, and to me, it was worth it.

LawnBrother
10-30-2006, 11:41 PM
Everyone has days when you don't feel like talking to morons. Ok, for me that's every day, but my point is, it never hurts to be polite. When I need to cut out of a conversation I usually say something like "Well, sorry but I have 15 more lawns to mow before dark, so I gotta hit it, have a good day though, nice talking to you." How hard is that?
The only time I am rude is if someone is rude first, and I can usually shut people up pretty quick. But, if you choose to be polite when you can, it will always take you farther than being a dick.

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger
10-30-2006, 11:42 PM

etc.

Agreed*trucewhiteflag*

WildWest
10-30-2006, 11:45 PM
I really don't mind, granted, I don't want to chat for 10 minutes, but if they ask a few questions, i'll answer them with a smile. I might be busy filling gas cans, mixing gas, filling the mowers. But hey, I usually get a "good luck" or "have a good day" in the end. If I start off in a bad mood, it'll only get worse. Start off good, and it gets better!

But HEY,....That's just me.

mowingmachine
10-31-2006, 12:02 AM
Those people that some of you are being rude to are your potential customers. Word travels fast among a community.

BeautifulBlooms
10-31-2006, 12:13 AM
Grumpiness cant help your day, the other persons day and it certainly wont get you any jobs in that neighborhood, but if you are pleasant and cheery whats a couple minutes while pumping gas, heck it might even turn into another contracted visit?? Keep that in mind next time you ignore the guyw hile you stand right next to you double signed truck!!!!

tacoma200
10-31-2006, 12:34 AM
I think some of you guys need an attitude adjustment. We have picked up work just chatting with people that have questions. Who cares if they ask something dumb? Its not dumb to them if they are asking it. What if you get a call from one of those people and when you show up they realise you gave them the cold shoulder one day so they get somebody else?
I will always take the time to talk for at least a little while. If I'm in a big hurry I will talk for a couple of minutes and tell them I have to get some work done, nice talking with you. Any time your talking to the public you are representing what kind of person and company you are. Of course none of us can talk all day but you can be polite and yes I get some business that way. Word of mouth can work both ways.

steve45
10-31-2006, 12:52 AM
I can't believe how rude some of you guys are. You'd be run out of town where I live. I suppose that unsociable people might tend to gravitate to a job like running a lawnmower all day just to avoid having to deal with people...

I'll let you rude guys in on a little secret. You'll be a lot more successful in life if you learn to get along with others.

I talk to LCO's when I meet them, and I send them HERE!

CAG
10-31-2006, 12:58 AM
i usually don't mind talking to strangers at the gas station and we have picked up good jobs from time to time. of course their is a time limit and if u don't know how to be polite and get rid of them then u should learn quick. the problem i have is running into multiple customers or friends, this is when u put them to work.. hey grab the mix can for me, hey move the truck up so i can fill up the next mower, hey can you fill the mower up for me i need to go inside and grab a coffee, hey u mind washing my windshield, hey could grab the oil mix behind the seat.. most people will usually take off quick if they are being put to work for free..

Runner
10-31-2006, 01:01 AM
The Biggest one I get Is " Do You Do lawn Care??",

Nope!!! I was just drivin' along, and all this lawn equipment just landed on my trailer under an overpass.......Therrre's your sign! :drinkup:

On a serious note, though....I'm always friendly, but like a few others said on here...I stay moving. I've gotten to be the same way with many customers, as well. If I can do something WHILE talking to them (without running power equipment), I do.

JKOOPERS
10-31-2006, 02:37 AM

just tell him no i just haul them around for lco's

ECS
10-31-2006, 03:14 AM
I don't mid talking to anyone, anywhere. It could mean more work, or it could mean absolutely nothing. I especially enjoy when my customers stop me to talk. I see it all as good Public Relations and Customer Relations.

sheshovel
10-31-2006, 03:48 AM
I have picked up many jobs just taking a few minutes to talk to people at the gas station and everywhere else I go. If they start to ask for a lot of advice I simply say " Would you like my card? Then you can give me a call if you need to and maybe I can resolve the problems you are having." and I hand them a card, that usually ends the conversation.
If I am in a hurry, then I really am in a hurry and anyone can tell by how quickly I am moving around my truck, put pump in and check under the hood or I am off to get a drink or something. I move so fast I am like a streak of Sheshovel lightning..they don't have a chance to say a word to me. I am in and outa there!

Beau Rivage
10-31-2006, 07:13 AM
I'm always polite.........WHILE I'm trapped pumping gas............then, it's "Got to run...have a good one":walking:

ozd12005
10-31-2006, 09:59 AM
I try and be polite to everyone, I always act like im in a hurry and give them a few business cards

FATWEASEL
10-31-2006, 11:08 AM
Seems to me alot of you guys are missing the perfect opportunity to hand someone a business card.

A professional outfit, a professional attitude, someone inquiring about your business, and a business card...sounds like cheap advertising to me.

If they say they have someone or they don't need it, just tell them to keep it in case they run in to someone they know that needs your service. There's no guarantees there but neither is any other form of advertising.

The main thing is you can make a good impression on someone that may pass that on to someone else. I see so many people on here saying that the majority of their business comes from word of mouth. I could just about guarantee that if you act like a jackhole to someone, even by just snubbing them, they WILL tell at least one person about the guy they met at the pumps today. Not a good thing if they see the name of your company.

Andy

BQLC
10-31-2006, 12:31 PM
I try and be polite to everyone, I always act like im in a hurry and give them a few business cards
this would seem to be the best course of action

thesargent
10-31-2006, 09:41 PM
good grief!! no wonder this world sucks! look at the attitude people have towards others! it terrible! if you dont have 5 minutes to talk with someone who shows interest in you and your equipment then you got real problems, like that 5-10 minutes is going to make or break you. geez, have some patience and show some kindness. and IF you really dont have the time why not KINDLY let them know that, instead of "pretending" that you cant hear them. LAME!!

grapeford
10-31-2006, 10:01 PM
There's always somebody coming over and asking how much that machine costs, or what do I do if I have grubs etc.. If they're pleasant and likeable, I have no problem chatting for a couple of minutes. I'm in the service industry, and a positive attitude is everything. I especially like the guys who tell you how much they enjoy working in their yard, and would love to get out of the 9-5 rut and do what we do. I ask them if they could envision themselves mowing their lawn 95-100 times a week, because that's how many lawns we do. They just kind of look at me with their mouths open and I say " Have a good day" and I'm outta there.

jmq
10-31-2006, 10:03 PM
My problem isn't usually the guy at the gas station, it is the client that is retired or always seems to be home when I come to service their home! They always have the same questions, only, not as annoying! They want to know how many yards I will do today, how long it takes to do the average yard, what size motor is on the mower, how fast it will go, whats the tallest grass you ever cut with that mower and what ever other goofy-:dizzy: -stupid stuff they can think of:confused: ......THEY ALL PAY WELL SO WE USE THE BLOWERS AND TRIMMERS TO MOVE THEM OUT OF THE WAY SO WE CAN LEAVE....

Good luck with the gas station hanger outers....

tacoma200
10-31-2006, 10:19 PM
My problem isn't usually the guy at the gas station, it is the client that is retired or always seems to be home when I come to service their home! They always have the same questions, only, not as annoying! They want to know how many yards I will do today, how long it takes to do the average yard, what size motor is on the mower, how fast it will go, whats the tallest grass you ever cut with that mower and what ever other goofy-:dizzy: -stupid stuff they can think of:confused: ......THEY ALL PAY WELL SO WE USE THE BLOWERS AND TRIMMERS TO MOVE THEM OUT OF THE WAY SO WE CAN LEAVE....

To be honest I didn't know squat about lawncare. I just quit driving a truck and bought a ZTR and started knocking on doors. I was probably one of the guys that asked questions to anyone with a Lawncare business. I learned alot the hard way. Lawnsite has helped me more than anything. Seems like I talk to other LCO's as much as potential customers at the pumps anymore. They will ask such questions as how does the Exmark do, or how do you like the Redmax, etc. They even get me jobs sometimes and I will send them work if I'm too busy or it's out of my way.

BeautifulBlooms
10-31-2006, 10:28 PM
I have an idea, for those that are upset with the people who want to talk just pass out some of my business cards, or tell them to give Beautiful Blooms a call, we'd be glad to help them out, all the way from Milwaukee Wisconsin too.

howardsells2000
10-31-2006, 10:35 PM

This, I can relate to.

I have some that will talk your ear off if you let them. I'm still very polite and respectful. Sometimes I will plan my route so they are my last cut of the day. That way it won't bother me as much.

Dunn's
10-31-2006, 11:40 PM
good grief!! no wonder this world sucks! look at the attitude people have towards others! it terrible! if you dont have 5 minutes to talk with someone who shows interest in you and your equipment then you got real problems, like that 5-10 minutes is going to make or break you. geez, have some patience and show some kindness. and IF you really dont have the time why not KINDLY let them know that, instead of "pretending" that you cant hear them. LAME!!

Yeah its that attitude and not giving out candy on Halloween. That are bringing our country to its knees. Ok well atleast the not giving out candy on Halloween part is. What is wrong with people?

johnwon
11-01-2006, 06:12 AM
I get the same do you mow grass??? i am thinking of getting a tattoo across my forehead it will say "YES"!!!!:laugh:
Well that person who asked if you mow grass?? Just walked right into one of those "Here's yor sign" Jokes....Do you mow grass? Nope, I'm going to cut a load of wood....here's your sign.

Cantona
11-01-2006, 10:00 AM
I am not sure if you were serious about the not handing out candy being rude or not, but It is a choice to hand out candy or not. I got egged last night for not handing out candy. I had better things to do, such as sheetrocking the the second floor of my house. I did not want to be bothered with handing out candy every five minutes when someone knocks on the door. Sorry. I also do not want to be bothered to engage in conversation when I am at the gas pump..therefore I only go to a gas station where they fill it for me and then either go inside for a drink or sit in my truck with the windows up. Everybody has the right to engage or not engage with somebody whenever they please.

pjslawncare/landscap
11-01-2006, 10:17 AM

Yea buddy, your real friendly :dizzy:

Steelratt
11-01-2006, 11:11 AM
Anyone ever bother to think that maybe, possibly, one of those people who comes up to talk may end up being a customer?

Man, I never would have imagined the responses I've seen in this thread. Heck, I'm a working man myself, but I'd NEVER treat people like that if they just came up with a few questions.

topsites
11-01-2006, 11:14 AM
Anyone ever bother to think that maybe, possibly, one of those people who comes up to talk may end up being a customer?

Man, I never would have imagined the responses I've seen in this thread. Heck, I'm a working man myself, but I'd NEVER treat people like that if they just came up with a few questions.

The false assumption that someone approaching for the mere sake of mindless conversation might turn into a customer is why I learned how to react to this type of approach in the first place.

The only reason they came over to talk because it excites them and it satisfies a need of theirs, so it makes them feel good.

I learned it is better to have a little more job assurance coming my way than from someone who likely had landscape as the last thing in their mind not 2 seconds before they saw me. That is, with the exception of some folks who wish to befriend me so they can get a buddy-buddy discount.

nobagger
11-01-2006, 12:11 PM
I picked up two accounts by shootin the breeze this year lol. It can eventually pay off. The most common question: How much does a machine like that cost? lol. I tell them the truth so they shut up.

I can't say Iv'e ever picked up an account by B.S.'ing at the pumps but I always tell them the truth about the costs also, and it seems to work.:laugh: