PDA

View Full Version : ooohhhh am I steamed!

Willofalltrades
10-30-2006, 07:48 PM
I am a small business with a small bank account. I buy my equipment one at a time and I make it last. Recently I bought a Redmax EBZ8000 BP blower. This machine performs incredible. I love it. I hate the build quality.
I will be the first to admit it was my own dumb fault that I left the unit on the trailer while I moved to another job 2 miles away. Speeds didn't go over 35mph. I get to the job. Pull the blower off the trailer and set it by the tire of the trailer while I unloaded my mowers. I bought trimmer trap racks to store the power tools but I wan to hold off on installing them because I do not think I will be using the same trailer next year. Plus I am leasing it from a family member so giant holes in the rails are a bad thing. Anyway, I cut the grass and trim with the trimmer. I didn't need to blow anything off because there wasn't a mess and the drive is gravel. I load the mowers and forget about the blower on the side. I move the trailer 5 feet and the tire sidewall pushes the blower onto its side and it roles down a little ditch. It tumbles once. That was my fault.
The CHEAP PLASTIC piece that holds the idler screw breaks off by the carb. Thats the only damage done. I thought..no big deal my dealer will just install one back on. No, I now have to buy a whole new carb because homeowner grade materials are on my blower. Oh the machine has a little over 10 hrs on it. So now I need to take $120 out of my really shallow account to buy a carb for a new blower why? because Redmax feels they need to hold critical parts on with cheep, piece of garbage, plastic piece. I thought this was supposed to be commercial equipment, not craftsman or homelite quality.

Willofalltrades
10-30-2006, 07:51 PM
P.S.- My old craftsman handheld blower would have taken that fall like a man! lol

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
10-30-2006, 07:53 PM
Call redmax bottom line your dealer is wanting to rip you.

Dashunde
10-30-2006, 07:54 PM
Probably a valid gripe.
I hate having to buy $20 worth of crap, just to get the $2 part I need.
It's an irritating trend thats been building for several years now.

And yes, call Redmax and give them a (polite) earfull, they might get after the dealer, or just send you the part you need.

04TurfT
10-30-2006, 07:55 PM
ha gah that sucks, this might be a stretch but you could try to get it waranteed. I would just tell your dealer that it "came off"... and see what they say. Like I said maybe a stretch but it could work... I ain't familiar with that part is there no way you fabricate a piece to work till you get some more money?

Willofalltrades
10-30-2006, 08:01 PM
Ha I fabbed a piece alright... The cruz control lol. Set the thumb lock and pull it. Thats besides the point. The peice looks broken off so the It just fell off claim doesn't work. The dealer said the part is around $90-$95. I figured $30 in labor.

Mr.Ziffel
10-30-2006, 09:14 PM
Ever see "The Graduate"? He got one piece of advice from an OF at a party "PLASTICS"!

I'll give you my one word OF advice "CYANACRYLICS" {sp?} or in plain English - SUPERGLUE. The stuff really works if you do it right.

Willofalltrades
10-30-2006, 09:54 PM
Ever see "The Graduate"? He got one piece of advice from an OF at a party "PLASTICS"!

I'll give you my one word OF advice "CYANACRYLICS" {sp?} or in plain English - SUPERGLUE. The stuff really works if you do it right.

If only I had the crappy part that broke off.:cry:

Mr.Ziffel
10-30-2006, 11:45 PM
Oops, yes that's a problem. Sorry for you troubles - I don't have any Redmax equipment but I've heard good stuff about them, maybe they'll help out. All my Stihl equip is plastic too and I've had a few close calls like yours but I've been lucky.. Better luck to you, Will M>

PS: If you do happen to find the piece or something similar that will work, there are several types of superglues [gap-filling, thicker stuff, etc.] that I've used successfully on heavy plastics.

fiveoboy01
10-30-2006, 11:50 PM
I have no sympathy for you.

The blower is not designed to roll down a hill.

PAY ATTENTION to what you're doing, and it never would have happened.

[/prick]

glad you fabbed up something to make it work.

JKOOPERS
10-30-2006, 11:58 PM
:confused: I am a small business with a small bank account. I buy my equipment one at a time and I make it last. Recently I bought a Redmax EBZ8000 BP blower. This machine performs incredible. I love it. I hate the build quality.
I will be the first to admit it was my own dumb fault that I left the unit on the trail*trucewhiteflag* :weightlifter: er while I moved to another job 2 miles away. Speeds didn't go over 35mph. I get to the job. Pull the blower off the trailer and set it by the tire of the trailer while I unloaded my mowers. I bought trimmer trap racks to store the power tools but I wan to hold off on installing them because I do not think I will be us:weightlifter: :weightlifter: :weightlifter: ing the same trailer next year. Plus I am leasing it from a family member so giant holes in the rails are a bad thing. Anyway, I cut the grass and trim with the trimmer. I didn't need to blow anything off because there wasn't a mess and the drive is gravel. I load the mowers and forget about the blower on the side. I move the trailer 5 feet and the tire sidewall pushes the blower onto its side and it roles down a little ditch. It tumbles once. That was my fault.
The CHEAP PLASTIC piece that holds the idler screw breaks off by the carb. Thats the only damage done. I thought..no big deal my dealer will just install one back on. No, I now have to buy a whole new carb because homeowner grade materials are on my blower. Oh the machine has a little over 10 hrs on it. So now I need to take $120 out of my really shallow account to buy a carb for a new blower why? because Redmax feels they need to hold critical parts on with cheep, piece of garbage, plastic piece. I thought this was supposed to be commercial equipment, not craftsman or homelite quality.

Runner
10-31-2006, 12:57 AM
I would definitely be making sure I fixed it myself. Somehow, I would make it work. Could it be something as simple Gorilla glue or super gle? If not, I would be fabricating something else. Even if I DIDhave to get the new part, I would do the research and find a supplier and go through the. And there is NO way on THIS green earth that a "dealer" would be doing this. That's one thing about this business...you basically have to do the maintenance yourself, or you'll never make it. As equip. gets older, and gets more use (busier), you are going to have oodles of repairs. Not to mention, you can't be running to the dealer - let ALONE leaving your equipment, everytime something goes wrong. I'm not going to hoot on you or chastise you for something like this. It was an accident....a mistake. we all make them. I done things similar, and probably even worse.
Now, moving on to hindsight.....For future reference. You get into this habit, and this is a POLICY that you must enstate and stick by. Nothing comes off the trailer until you are ready to use it. And when you ARE finished with it, the piece of equipment goes right back on the trailer AND GETS SECURED. Let me repeat this last part...the piece of equipment goes right back on the trailer AND GETS SECURED. Repeat those words. This saves this type of accident from happening, and the securing part saves equipment from getting lost. You would be surprised how many people have lost trimmers off racks, lost blowers sitting on fenders, had aws fall off the bedrails of trucks, and a whole host of other things. There was a local service that had one of his brain surgeons leave a gas can down btween the truck and the trailer. They took off, and guess what? You guessed it. About 4 gallons of gasoline ended up all over the road. The neighbor called the fire department....Guess who THEY called? An environmental cleanup service. That was the most expensive (about $3000) gas that guy ever went through. Bottom line, make it a policy...the stuff STAYS on the trailer until you need it. Not on the customers lawn, not in the street. It always gets me when I see SOME people go even further than that. the REAL amateurs will pull up on the job, and unload a bunch of stuff and place in an array beside the trailer, like it is a display or something, as if it is going to save them time or something having it sit there - even if they won't be using it. lol

Envy Lawn Service
10-31-2006, 02:01 AM

Does yours have a black plastic piece on top of the carb... idle speed set screw on one side, throttle cable on the other?

Many of these parts got updated on the 8001's. I think some of the later 8000's might have gotten an upgrade there too.

Anyways, my point is that if I am right like I think I am.... your dealer is a crook!

Look in your manual. If you don't have it, go to the 8000 page on RedMax.com and click on the adobe pdf icon at the bottom. Go to page 28 of 36. Fig. 2 Engine Group. Then look for part 73 in the diagram. Find it on the next page by 73. It's part# 4500-8190.

You might also want to go to page 30 of 36 and look right at the top. IF it is #27 that you need, well then it is true you will need a whole carb probably unless you get on the phone with RedMax or Walbro.

If you are forced to buy the whole thing... screw'em...
JThomas has it... and of course for half what your dealer wants for it.

http://j-thomasorder.com/iwwidb.pvx?;multi_item_submit?form_select=I&item_no=WYA-44%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%201&source=PS&K=03EBZ8000C&comp=JTH

garth1967
10-31-2006, 02:35 AM
Probably a valid gripe.

And yes, call Redmax and give them a (polite) earfull, they might get after the dealer, or just send you the part you need.

word for word i agree .i know its a PITA .but you know what ,its a part of business.sometimes you have to get on the phone to a supplier and negotiate .dont act like a tool about it, act professional etc

Daneman
10-31-2006, 10:05 AM
Why should the dealer warranty an obvious non-warranty failure? The dealer and factory should not have to pay for your mistake. Chalk it up to lesson learned. And as far as making up something to tell the dealer? That is nothing but a bold faced lie. I can not stand it when my customers, or my dealers, lie to me. I am sure as the dealer is looking over the counter at you, he is thinking, " the is crap! The thing rolled down a hill, how is this warranty?" And Redmax didn't design the carb, we have the lovely CARB and EPA people to thank for this. They were the ones who decided that the carbs can't be adjustable anymore, and manufactures had to adapt to the new technology. Personally, I am worried as to what other changes they will implement for the next tier of emmissions.
It sucks that learning to secur a ll equipment is gonna cost you 120$

I am not trying to be a prick, and of course, this is only my opinion.

ozd12005
10-31-2006, 10:14 AM
P.S.- My old craftsman handheld blower would have taken that fall like a man! lol

My craftsman and homelite blowers take a beating and keep on working

fga
10-31-2006, 10:52 AM
I love my redmax blowers.
I remember when it was left near a tire of my van, and pushed down a driveway 50 feet, i was so angry with myself..... that was 8 years ago and i still use that same blower everyday.:)

it didn't brake at all, just got some nasty scratches

Willofalltrades
10-31-2006, 11:26 AM
It was my dumb mistake. I know that and after I found out that part broke I figured I would pay for it. But the fact that one PLASTIC piece on the carb is making me buy a whole new carb assembly is garbage. I have a higher quality carb adjustment (I think this part is important) on my craftsman.

Willofalltrades
10-31-2006, 11:29 AM
Besides that the blower is an incredible unit.

DBL
10-31-2006, 11:33 AM
how about someone had the super glue idea would that work how bad is it the damage

Envy Lawn Service
10-31-2006, 08:17 PM
Well, what someone said about the EPA is sorta right I guess.

I bet the carb valve body had to be capped like that to suit the EPA. They want pieces where the carbs can't be adjusted for air/fuel mixture and MADE in such a way that these parts can't be swapped out for the adjustable parts either. So they make the cap non-removable and non replaceable.

I'd also almost bet this is why you can't just buy a replacement valve body to stick in there in place of the old one.

Anyways, I take it you DID break the top of the valve body? Oh well... I think that's just one in a million pot luck. But I know your feeling of thinking it sucks to have to buy an entire carb over that. Me, I felt similarly over Stihl's "cast-IN" flywheel key on the solid driveshaft trimmers. Wear the key down and eventually shear it of..... you gotta buy a complete new flywheel at the tune of $80. Same thing with the low grade screws in the spark arrestor cover on Echos. They rust up and you have to buy a complete new muffler.

But the bottom line is... in the grand scheme of things, this carb is HUGE and for $66 through JThomas, that ain't bad. I was expecting over $100. I had a non-replaceable internal part go bad in a Stihl trimmer carb. It was just a little small carb. I think $85 for a new ZAMA carb for it. So that price ain't bad considering....

K&L Landscaping
10-31-2006, 08:26 PM
Don't feel bad, I ran over a brand new 440 Stihl chainsaw last Monday. Needless to say superglue won't help that situation. I bet I don't run over another piece for a while.

howardsells2000
10-31-2006, 09:49 PM
I think some of these guys are being a little tough on you. We all make mistakes and will continue to make mistakes. That's how we learn. I have knocked my blower over at least 20 times, probably more. Luckly nothing has broke. It's a Echo PB750, it seems to be built quite well.

I agree with you though, I would think the blower should be designed to take some amount of abuse and not have pieces break off. I bet after you get it fixed you will be more careful. We live and learn.

Good Luck

Daneman
11-01-2006, 10:51 AM
I wasn't trying to be hard on him, just trying to make everyone realize that Redmax nor the dealer should be responsible for customer error. At least you didn't make the mistake of putting straight gas in it, that would have been a $500+ mistake.

And unfortunatley, the emmissions standards are going ot get even tougher in the near future, which will make for a lot more expensive 2 cycle equipment and replacement parts.

Willofalltrades
11-01-2006, 09:37 PM
I wasn't trying to be hard on him, just trying to make everyone realize that Redmax nor the dealer should be responsible for customer error. At least you didn't make the mistake of putting straight gas in it, that would have been a $500+ mistake.

And unfortunatley, the emmissions standards are going ot get even tougher in the near future, which will make for a lot more expensive 2 cycle equipment and replacement parts.

I had no intent on making a warranty claim. I hoped it would be a common replacable part that the dealer has seen broken a million times and would fix ASAP. I didn't know I would be told to buy a new carb. Trust me, lol, I mix my gas to.
I think some of these guys are being a little tough on you. We all make mistakes and will continue to make mistakes. That's how we learn. I have knocked my blower over at least 20 times, probably more. Luckly nothing has broke. It's a Echo PB750, it seems to be built quite well.

I agree with you though, I would think the blower should be designed to take some amount of abuse and not have pieces break off. I bet after you get it fixed you will be more careful. We live and learn.

Good Luck

Echo huh? I was considering one before I get my redmax. They look like a well built unit. I went with the Redmax because my dealer sells them.
Well, what someone said about the EPA is sorta right I guess.

I bet the carb valve body had to be capped like that to suit the EPA. They want pieces where the carbs can't be adjusted for air/fuel mixture and MADE in such a way that these parts can't be swapped out for the adjustable parts either. So they make the cap non-removable and non replaceable.

I'd also almost bet this is why you can't just buy a replacement valve body to stick in there in place of the old one.

Anyways, I take it you DID break the top of the valve body? Oh well... I think that's just one in a million pot luck. But I know your feeling of thinking it sucks to have to buy an entire carb over that. Me, I felt similarly over Stihl's "cast-IN" flywheel key on the solid driveshaft trimmers. Wear the key down and eventually shear it of..... you gotta buy a complete new flywheel at the tune of $80. Same thing with the low grade screws in the spark arrestor cover on Echos. They rust up and you have to buy a complete new muffler.

But the bottom line is... in the grand scheme of things, this carb is HUGE and for $66 through JThomas, that ain't bad. I was expecting over $100. I had a non-replaceable internal part go bad in a Stihl trimmer carb. It was just a little small carb. I think $85 for a new ZAMA carb for it. So that price ain't bad considering....

Thanks, The EPA requirement makes sence but can we make this stuff out of some sort of metal? I like the J-Thomas price. Next spring I will deal with it when it becomes a bigger issue. As for now, I set the trigger lock and attack the leaves.

Willofalltrades
11-01-2006, 10:02 PM
A few pics of the carb.

topsites
11-02-2006, 03:25 AM
Probably a valid gripe.

I would agree, I had a similar issue with an Echo trimmer with a bad coil: Echo guarantees almost every single coil for life, but dealers say different (i.e.: they want you to pay for the coil).

It's something they're apparently doing to drive home the idea that it's 'cheaper to buy another than to fix old,' but I don't care for it.

I went through a lot of trouble but finally got my part replaced under warranty (thou I had to pay the labor, but that I was ok with).

p.s.: I ran over my br-420 with my trailer once, too! Cost me $80 to replace HALF the cracked turbofan shroud, much like yourself the damage was minimal, the $80 was just the part!

downtown
11-02-2006, 09:11 AM
If your Top-O-The-Line, $500 blower can't take an accident "as descibed" then their customer service is crap IF they do not stand by it! Willodalltrades did not say it cartwheeled down an embarkment.....but that it took a one revolution roll. Sh*t happens to all of us, but commercial level equipment should withstand this type of "abuse". Doesn't sound like it could have taken more of an impact than if he had turned too quickly and hit a branch while working around a tree to me. His dealer should have offered some compromise in this instance if he values Willofalltrades future business.

IMHO, This would be like a car dealer making you pay for an engine that blows 500 miles out of warranty. Technically, they are within their right.......but they just lost themselves a customer and discouraged several more that he tells about it. I had a Dodge dealer take care of a tranny problem like this....with us paying something like $200........I drive a Dodge truck today. Doubt I would if they stuck it in my arse on that deal!

Good customer service driven companies will work WITH their customers in these instances. I'd NEVER spend another dime with the dealer that stiff-armed you. But I would give Redmax the opportunity to work something out and satisfy their customer.

Just my 2 cents.........

PS......MY 'lesson learned mistake' also invovled a blower............

let's just say CLOSED TAILGATES do an excellent job of keeping them in your possession!....Doh! At least it was ONLY a $99 'special' :hammerhead:

ChadsLawn
11-02-2006, 10:14 AM
From the looks on the pictures, all that is missing is the idle screw section? If thats is all, it shoulkd be oretty easy to fix. Something like a peice of plastic @ 90 degree and superglued on to keep it at idle. I have a spare carbm but it doesnt have that type of throttle on it.

pcarlson1911
11-02-2006, 10:20 AM
I'm glad that you can at least use the blower without having to do the repair.

Which shop are you working with? I use Chagrin Valley Pet, Garden and Power tools. Their cust service is excellent.

Thank god the sun is out! and good luck with the cleanups!
pc

Willofalltrades
11-02-2006, 11:51 AM
I'm glad that you can at least use the blower without having to do the repair.

Which shop are you working with? I use Chagrin Valley Pet, Garden and Power tools. Their cust service is excellent.

Thank god the sun is out! and good luck with the cleanups!
pc

Pet and garden is good. I have done business through them before. I use Emmett equipment in Richfield. They are the distributor for Walker mowers in Ohio, Indiana, and Michigan. They are very organized and service 95% commercial customers. If my machine breaks and they can't fix it in an hour I am guaranteed a unit to use till it is fixed. Plus since they are the distributor they are more than happy to give you a demo. Also, you get on a first name basis with the owner. Tom is a good guy. www.emmettequipment.com

Envy Lawn Service
11-02-2006, 08:49 PM
A few pics of the carb.

Of all the rotten luck... wow...

It must of hit something narrow and upright to do that.
Just unlucky there. I bet you're the only person to break that or the number is small.
Of all the things that shoulda-coulda broke, what's the odds of hitting that?

Steel? What's that? LOL... everything is plastic now.
The whole valve assembly going down in there is probably plastic.
Lord knows why they won't/can't sell you that section...

I looked at mine good. Really, I guess you could make do without it. Just leave the throttle lock set to 'barely on' all the time. Other than that, you could take a thin stiff piece of metal in an L shape...

Make it to fit
Bore another hole for the set screw -L
Use a tiny bolt and two jam nuts for the set screw
Bore a mounting hole in the bottom to use with that existing screw to the right
Get one of those little 'grab' washers to help keep it set properly

Willofalltrades
11-03-2006, 11:24 AM
Of all the rotten luck... wow...

It must of hit something narrow and upright to do that.
Just unlucky there. I bet you're the only person to break that or the number is small.
Of all the things that shoulda-coulda broke, what's the odds of hitting that?

Steel? What's that? LOL... everything is plastic now.
The whole valve assembly going down in there is probably plastic.
Lord knows why they won't/can't sell you that section...

I looked at mine good. Really, I guess you could make do without it. Just leave the throttle lock set to 'barely on' all the time. Other than that, you could take a thin stiff piece of metal in an L shape...

Make it to fit
Bore another hole for the set screw -L
Use a tiny bolt and two jam nuts for the set screw
Bore a mounting hole in the bottom to use with that existing screw to the right
Get one of those little 'grab' washers to help keep it set properly

I was considering that. I'm having problems with equipment right now and I only have a week left to use it. My pull cord just snapped on my WB. lol. My Walker isn't having any problems and thats the only thing thats keeping me sane lol.

pcarlson1911
11-03-2006, 12:30 PM
How much snow did you see in Burton last night?
pc

tallimeca
11-03-2006, 03:43 PM
First, shame on you for not securing your equipment. What if you went over a bump and it flew off the trailor and caused an accident?

Anyhow, you absolutely should be able to buy JUST that part.

It is called a ROTOR ASSEMBLY, and you should be able to replace it for about 18-30 bucks. 2-3 small screws hold it in place. If you dealer says otherwise, that might be the way RED MAX sells their part.

I know on Echo, they list all the carb parts individually right in their own break downs, rather than having to go to walbro or zama.

These are VERY COMMON to break. The point is, nothing should be impacting the carb anywhere near that area. Could cause the carb to be jarred loose and tear the gasket. Next thing you know you have an air leak and seize the motor up.

Good luck on the fix!!!!

Willofalltrades
11-03-2006, 04:30 PM
First, shame on you for not securing your equipment. What if you went over a bump and it flew off the trailor and caused an accident?

Anyhow, you absolutely should be able to buy JUST that part.

It is called a ROTOR ASSEMBLY, and you should be able to replace it for about 18-30 bucks. 2-3 small screws hold it in place. If you dealer says otherwise, that might be the way RED MAX sells their part.

I know on Echo, they list all the carb parts individually right in their own break downs, rather than having to go to walbro or zama.

These are VERY COMMON to break. The point is, nothing should be impacting the carb anywhere near that area. Could cause the carb to be jarred loose and tear the gasket. Next thing you know you have an air leak and seize the motor up.

Good luck on the fix!!!!

Interesting... Do you have any idea where I can get these carb parts? Dealer certainly doesn't stock them and probably can't get them. J-thomas has the carb as Envy pointed out. You think they have the parts too?

Willofalltrades
11-06-2006, 07:19 PM
I talked to the Redmax North/East Rep. at GIE and he said hes going to give me a call. I explained my situation and that I reconized that it was my fault, but I expressed that its making me a little angry that I have to buy a whole new carb because of one plastic piece that broke. Maybe he might warranty it.

Willofalltrades
11-06-2006, 07:21 PM
Oh and he gave me a Redmax T-shirt! lol I'm an official Redmax operator!