PDA

View Full Version : Fall Cleanups 2006 thus far

BSDeality
10-30-2006, 08:05 PM
Just wondering how everyone elses cleanups are going so far? I've been flying through mine with my new equipment i picked up this year.

New for this year is my blower buggy, BG Force 13hp Honda, and Shindaiwa EB8510.

Every time I start up my 8510, I'm amazed at how much harder it blows than the Echo750 I have. It is a little heavier and harder to start, however I find it is much more comfortable to wear than my 750 because the weight is up higher on my back.

The Force is just that; its an absolute animal. Its easier to push around on the hills and undulations than my Little Wonder 10HP, weighs a pound less too. There isn't much noticeable difference in the blowing power of the 10HP LW and the 13HP force until the leaves get up about knee deep, then the force just stomps the LW.

The final new piece I bought was a blower buggy for the Z. No more dead legs and exhaustion for me after a day of cleanups. I looked at the JRCO buggy since I have a jrco leaf plow and mount bar already, however they're $450+ mount bar if you don't have one. My dealer had a Giant Vac buggy for $200, so I picked that up and it is a godsend. It came with 3 straps and a mounting bar. It will work with the JRCO mount if you modify it a little. You have to drill four 3/4" holes and then you'll need a 3/4" stock pipe/conduit/rod to pin it in place. I ended up mounting mine to the REAR of the Z and have my Leaf plow in the front. It is an AWESOME setup, I windrow them with the blower, then idle it down and drop the plow and push them off in to the woods or into a pile to be sucked up. Then raise the plow and cleanup the scraps with the blower again. The best part is not feeling like you pushed your blower 10 miles uphill at the end of the day.

I also modified my JRCO mount to go on a 2" receiver mount, I did this to be able to take off my plow quicker, and more importantly to beef up JRCO's crappy mount bar. My mount bar is 55" wide with about 48" in between the casters it would only take me about an hour of leaf plowing to turn the mount bar into a banana. I've got 2 days worth of leaf plowing on my new mount setup and no signs of bending or breaking yet.

Pictures tomorrow when I remember to take the camera out of the truck.

ECS
10-30-2006, 08:09 PM
Mine are all done. Did my last propery last Monday.

grass_cuttin_fool
10-30-2006, 08:15 PM
I started my clean ups today also, It was the 1st day for the new cyclone rake also. I wished I had it yearsssssss ago. The CR worked like a charm and there was very little dust. I even tried to choke it out in some leaves and it sucked them up like nothing was there.

I bought a used little wonder back in the spring, its a 6 hp but does fairly well and it also performed like a champ also today.

I got a new Redmax 7001 but I didnt take it of the rack today, what little I used a back pack, I used the stihl br340. Its alot lighter and I didnt need much so....... Over all things went good and I picked up a new leaf customer, a neighbor saw me working and came over. After the work was completed she gave me a verbal of to mow next year also!!!!!!!!!!, now if I can get her to sign on the dotted line it will be great.Any way , I have her for the 2006 leaf season and I even got paid for the work today also (think she may be a keeper)

wayne

BSDeality
10-30-2006, 08:24 PM
Mine are all done. Did my last propery last Monday.
hmm, definitely jealous of that. Leaves are still dropping, about 2/3 are down, still have some oaks and maples that are holding on. I'll be going until snowfall most likely in December.

LwnmwrMan22
10-30-2006, 08:25 PM
hmm, definitely jealous of that. Leaves are still dropping, about 2/3 are down, still have some oaks and maples that are holding on. I'll be going until snowfall most likely in December.

Tonight / tomorrow 30+ mph winds.

Whatever leaves are down will be down after that, so I'll get started soon.

jt5019
10-30-2006, 08:31 PM
I havnt really started yet still have trees with quite a few leaves on them. Maybe later this week, i have a couple lawns that need a final cut first.

BMFD92
10-30-2006, 08:34 PM
cleanups are going good. very busy. This weekend i got to give a price on leaf removal for a four acre condo complex. Talk about last minute on there part:dizzy:

jpmako
10-30-2006, 08:49 PM
Here is how my first day of clean-ups started.
Took on another guy today that "supposedly worked for another company"
well first off two front tires on my Z-Track were dead, so I leave two guys to finish up the second clean-up of the day. Big mistake, come back and start up another blower to help and notice one of my redmax 7001's screaming a little loader than usual, look over and notice the gas tank looks clear as in not Mix. So I run over to the "new guy" and by the time I get there it stops running. CRAP so now I am down a backpack $200.00 to fix his stupid mistake.
So by now i am having one of those days :confused: Then this nice lady walks over and says there are some leaves on my pool cover Me again:confused: I politely tell her that they are not from us, maybe from the 50 mph winds we had two days ago and the fact that they never drained their pool and the cover is sitting about 2 feet below sea level. She says well there is one of those pool skimmers in the poolhouse do you think? My response is I am not the pool man!

Other than this and some other petty B.S. the day went well.
I think that next year I am going to add another Fradan Hydro blower sell a billy goat and hire a driver so I can sit home and watch Oprah!

Yeah Right!
Hope everyone else is having a better time than I am. Maybe it will get better.

Jason

gene gls
10-30-2006, 09:19 PM
Mother Nature eliminated at least 50% of my leaf business last weekend with the high winds. I should be done in a couple of weeks.

Matts lawn care
10-30-2006, 09:52 PM
i started last week. when i was doing one of my new customers leaves i got 2 more jobs. one of them wants me to mow next year too! all of the new people were fed up with the poor quality of their old lawn guy. my 7001 and bagger is working good for now.

jpmako
10-30-2006, 09:52 PM
Gene GLS,

How is that Buffalo Turbine Blower?
I am interested in possibly purchasing one next year. How do they compare to a standard push blower like a 9hp little wonder? twice as powerful or more?

Thanks Jason

gene gls
10-30-2006, 10:37 PM
Jason,
The Turbine is like night and day to a push blower. The nozzel rotats from one side to the other so its easy to blow a big pile. I run it on my Walker diesel. The Walker is a bit light in weight for the force of the blower. The best part is no more fighting with the push blower on hills. Its a little price'y but well worth the cost. I have cut my truck loader use in half with the Turbine by being able to hide every thing in the woods around most properties.

rodfather
10-31-2006, 05:59 AM
We just started full time of them yesterday...and we have a long way to go too.

Roger
10-31-2006, 06:08 AM
Some work was done before last week, but last week was mostly leaf work. And, this week is mostly leaf work again, which will be the case for the next 3-4 weeks. After this week, I think the half-way point may be reached, maybe not quite. Maples are in the process of dropping, some are bare, others pretty well populated yet. Oaks have yet to make much of a showing.

We had heavy winds Saturday, and I thought leaves were going to be well scattered. However, yesterday I found the leaves still pretty well in place. During the Saturday winds, moderate/heavy rain was falling and apparently the leaves were wet enough that the wind didn't move them as much as I expected. Yesterday, the leaves were totally dry -- a great working day, with temps in mid-60s, and only moderate breeze.

ozd12005
10-31-2006, 10:19 AM
Been doing quite a bit here and plenty of leaves still on the tree's

lawnguyland
10-31-2006, 03:17 PM
Pretty easy so far. (Knock on wood). Still mowing every house weekly and picking up the leaves too, but most leaves are still on the trees or blown into a corner, but not many on the lawns. Thanks to global warming, I pretty much mow weekly until Thanksgiving week. Then the real clean-ups begin. Yuck, but I can smell the end of the year already, what- eight weeks max, hopefully? then snow!

dfor
10-31-2006, 05:52 PM
First round started this week. About half of the leaves are down.

topsites
10-31-2006, 06:18 PM
I havnt really started yet still have trees with quite a few leaves on them. Maybe later this week, i have a couple lawns that need a final cut first.

Same here, about 80% is still up there and most of my lawns need at least one more cut (maybe one more in December).

Thou for what has come down, it's been easy going, just blow them off in the woods with the Wb as I cut the grass, spend almost NO time trimming, then some time with the bpb straightens it up.

Same on pics, when I remember to take the cam with me!

BSDeality
10-31-2006, 07:01 PM
Just wondering how everyone elses cleanups are going so far? I've been flying through mine with my new equipment i picked up this year.

New for this year is my blower buggy, BG Force 13hp Honda, and Shindaiwa EB8510.

Every time I start up my 8510, I'm amazed at how much harder it blows than the Echo750 I have. It is a little heavier and harder to start, however I find it is much more comfortable to wear than my 750 because the weight is up higher on my back.

The Force is just that; its an absolute animal. Its easier to push around on the hills and undulations than my Little Wonder 10HP, weighs a pound less too. There isn't much noticeable difference in the blowing power of the 10HP LW and the 13HP force until the leaves get up about knee deep, then the force just stomps the LW.

The final new piece I bought was a blower buggy for the Z. No more dead legs and exhaustion for me after a day of cleanups. I looked at the JRCO buggy since I have a jrco leaf plow and mount bar already, however they're $450+ mount bar if you don't have one. My dealer had a Giant Vac buggy for $200, so I picked that up and it is a godsend. It came with 3 straps and a mounting bar. It will work with the JRCO mount if you modify it a little. You have to drill four 3/4" holes and then you'll need a 3/4" stock pipe/conduit/rod to pin it in place. I ended up mounting mine to the REAR of the Z and have my Leaf plow in the front. It is an AWESOME setup, I windrow them with the blower, then idle it down and drop the plow and push them off in to the woods or into a pile to be sucked up. Then raise the plow and cleanup the scraps with the blower again. The best part is not feeling like you pushed your blower 10 miles uphill at the end of the day.

I also modified my JRCO mount to go on a 2" receiver mount, I did this to be able to take off my plow quicker, and more importantly to beef up JRCO's crappy mount bar. My mount bar is 55" wide with about 48" in between the casters it would only take me about an hour of leaf plowing to turn the mount bar into a banana. I've got 2 days worth of leaf plowing on my new mount setup and no signs of bending or breaking yet.

Pictures tomorrow when I remember to take the camera out of the truck.
Pic's attached, I welded up a second JRCO mount so I have them front and rear on my machine for versatility. Drilled some extra holes in them too so I can mount the buggy to the JRCO mount :weightlifter:

I opted to put the Little Wonder on the buggy because its harder to push than the BG. With this setup I can mow the lawn and blow the leaves at the same time :cool2: The machine stays facing the same direction, but I mow in reverse too. Obviously the stripes aren't perfect, but it definitely gets it done that much faster.

lawncare18
10-31-2006, 07:12 PM
jpmacko.. I run the buffalo turbine 12 plus hrs a day on the golf course some days.. it is a beast .. I would not buy anything but that if I were you.. you wont touch a push blower agian once you have one of these.. we have the tow behind unit.. it will hold a basketball in the air going full blast. BUy one!!!!

BSDeality
10-31-2006, 07:15 PM
j... it will hold a basketball in the air going full blast. BUy one!!!!almost any commercial blower will do that too, just FYI.

Here is an echo backpack 750 doing it.
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=65563&d=1159923735

lawncare18
10-31-2006, 07:33 PM
spend the money... buy a buffalo.. youll never use that echo again... I am telling you.. anyone golf course superintendent like myself would tell you to buy a buffalo... all these course around my area dont touch or mess with little back pack blowers.. go strate for the buff. turbines!!!!

jpmako
10-31-2006, 07:40 PM
Gene,

I am curious how it stacks up to a little wonder 9hp Push blower.
I have a Hydro Fradan 18 hp that is about twice as powerful as a Little Wonder and is great on hills cause it's Hydro, but the other day I was dreaming of a "LEAF MONSTER" (maybe an old stander platform with the deck removed and a Buffalo Turbine attached to the front) Would'nt that be a great set-up for larger properties. I just want to know that these buffalo turbines are at least 3 times as powerful as a Little Wonder or else I would just add another Fradan.

Thanks,

Jason

BSDeality
10-31-2006, 07:40 PM
I'm not saying "dont bother with a buffalo", just that most commercial machines will do the basketball trick.

You're a SI already? I was pretty sure you were interning at Silver Spring in Ridgefield last year? that's a pretty big jump in short time.

lawncare18
10-31-2006, 07:48 PM
I am an assistant now in syracuse.. they dont pay enough in ct.. you know how the cost of living is there!!! You have a great set up man!!! I just know the buffalo blower is good to!!!

lawncare18
10-31-2006, 07:48 PM
I have also been in turf shcool for four years.. which most of you dont have!!!

BSDeality
10-31-2006, 08:08 PM
You went to Umass correct? I have a degree from Uconn turf.

kc2006
10-31-2006, 08:13 PM
I've been using the ultravac for a couple weeks just to keep the props looking clean but last week was the first week of cleanups for me. Quite a few leaves are down but I'll still be doing cleanups till Thanksgiving if not later.

Ultravac is deffinitly the way to go for a solo operation. I'm in and out of properties in an hour, same properties took me 2 hours or more last year with a blower and truck loader only.

gene gls
10-31-2006, 08:37 PM
Gene,

I am curious how it stacks up to a little wonder 9hp Push blower.
I have a Hydro Fradan 18 hp that is about twice as powerful as a Little Wonder and is great on hills cause it's Hydro, but the other day I was dreaming of a "LEAF MONSTER" (maybe an old stander platform with the deck removed and a Buffalo Turbine attached to the front) Would'nt that be a great set-up for larger properties. I just want to know that these buffalo turbines are at least 3 times as powerful as a Little Wonder or else I would just add another Fradan.

Thanks,

Jason

The Buffalo Turbine front mount blowers are PTO driven. On the Walker you remove the mowing deck and put on the blower, 5 minuets once you get the hang of it. Minimum HP at the PTO is 16 required, Maximum 2900 RPM at the PTO, Air flow up to 9500 CFM, 10" outlet size, Outlet velocity 150+ MPH. This thing moves a mess of leaves in a hurry.

lawncare18
10-31-2006, 08:52 PM
gene gls.. this thing is a blowing machine we got the tow behind unit and will be buying another enxt year i think.. they can not be beat in my opinion.. plus you dont kill your self pushing or carying a back pack all day!!!

ferdinand711
10-31-2006, 09:32 PM
Just curious guys, with all this magnificient machines you're using , how much do you charged for leaf removal?

Roger
10-31-2006, 09:58 PM
Ultravac is deffinitly the way to go for a solo operation. I'm in and out of properties in an hour, same properties took me 2 hours or more last year with a blower and truck loader only.

What is your setup? What do you do with the full bags off the Ultravac? How do you get them into a truck/trailer? Or, are you able to dump in the woods or on a customer compost pile. What is the decrease in debris volume after having gone through the impellor of the UltraVac? In the one hour on a property, how many times are you dumping?

Sorry for all the mundane questions. But, I'm trying to better understand the time savings.

I have seen another LCO cleaning up a property next to where I was working. He had a vac on a Toro ZTR. He (actually it was a team of three) was spending so much time during the stops, getting the debris off the machine and into his dump truck. It seemed to be a very laborious and inefficient operation. Filling the bags was quick, but then the time sink of dealing with the full bags was the issue.

thesargent
10-31-2006, 10:06 PM
ha ha, still mowing weekly here, love it! supposed to rain tomarrow

MattsMowing3535
10-31-2006, 10:11 PM
Preety sure grass is done growing for good now. High winds for the next day or too. Leaves will be down and gone :( doubt Ill get much buisness now. . .O well time to get the plows out! lol

petekief
11-01-2006, 03:12 PM
How do you like that leaf blade from JRCO??
i've been looking at it . . .
how does it work on windfall sticks and branches???
i've been looking at estate rakes to but . . .
how do those monster blowers do with sticks and branches???

topsites
11-01-2006, 03:34 PM
Here's today's pics of a job on a lesser quality yard, using the Wb to herd the leaves into the wooded areas:

Driveway:
http://stonypointlawncare.com/images/leaves/DCFN0002.JPG
In progress:
http://stonypointlawncare.com/images/leaves/DCFN0007.JPG
Picasso of method:
http://stonypointlawncare.com/images/leaves/leafherding2.jpg
Clean:
http://stonypointlawncare.com/images/leaves/DCFN0009.JPG

Front Top:
http://stonypointlawncare.com/images/leaves/DCFN0013.JPG
http://stonypointlawncare.com/images/leaves/DCFN0014.JPG
http://stonypointlawncare.com/images/leaves/DCFN0015.JPG

The front side:
http://stonypointlawncare.com/images/leaves/DCFN0005.JPG

The front hill:
http://stonypointlawncare.com/images/leaves/DCFN0017.JPG

2-3 passes around front side:
http://stonypointlawncare.com/images/leaves/DCFN0018.JPG

Up and around the front hill:
http://stonypointlawncare.com/images/leaves/DCFN0021.JPG

And racetrack around the front top:
http://stonypointlawncare.com/images/leaves/DCFN0020.JPG
http://stonypointlawncare.com/images/leaves/DCFN0019.JPG

4-5 more passes, front top:
http://stonypointlawncare.com/images/leaves/DCFN0025.JPG

Around and around:
http://stonypointlawncare.com/images/leaves/DCFN0024.JPG

And finish circling around that, herd them into a pile in center (where there exists a dirt bed):
http://stonypointlawncare.com/images/leaves/DCFN0027.JPG

Unfortunately the sun got in the way, you can't see it but it's clean:
http://stonypointlawncare.com/images/leaves/DCFN0029.JPG

Dunno how much time exactly, mostly Wb and blower time, maybe 2-3 minutes trimming around a couple sections, just not much growth around the edges. Taking the stupid pictures seemed to take the longest thou.

BSDeality
11-01-2006, 03:54 PM
How do you like that leaf blade from JRCO??
i've been looking at it . . .
how does it work on windfall sticks and branches???
i've been looking at estate rakes to but . . .
how do those monster blowers do with sticks and branches???
I'll never be without a leaf rake again. it just grabs up the sticks and branches and those get pushed along with the leaves too.

As soon as the piles get about shin-deep I get on the leaf plow and push them off, then start up the blower again. This way I'm never pushing big piles, just a trace of leaves that the plow doesn't get. I have been mulching, windrowing, and pushing them this year and its a good method for me.

The big force and even the LW will push the sticks to some degree.

topsites
11-01-2006, 03:59 PM
I'll never be without a leaf rake again. it just grabs up the sticks and branches and those get pushed along with the leaves too.

As soon as the piles get about shin-deep I get on the leaf plow and push them off, then start up the blower again. This way I'm never pushing big piles, just a trace of leaves that the plow doesn't get. I have been mulching, windrowing, and pushing them this year and its a good method for me.

The big force and even the LW will push the sticks to some degree.

Hmmmm dang I just checked out their web site, that thing does look like it gets the job done.

http://www.jrcoinc.com/product.asp?id=4

Check out the videos, I can't give the link because it's flash but it's near the bottom right.

BSDeality
11-01-2006, 04:10 PM
Edit in Bold: As soon as the piles get about shin-deep I get on the leaf plow and push them off, then start up the blower again. This way I'm never pushing big piles with the blower and they move much faster, just a trace of leaves that the plow doesn't get

Topsites, check out the blower buggy video's they have too, I have a GiantVac buggy but its virtually the same thing. I have the buggy on the back and plow on the front. E=P!

jpp
11-01-2006, 05:46 PM
If the rain would stop coming here I might be have a good fall. They called for sunshine all day today. We had sun for a little bit in the am and then the clouds came in, then the rain.:cry:

I know I am not to curse the rain but enough is enough. We are 6 inches above normal for the year.

qualitylandscaping
11-03-2006, 12:33 PM
2" of snow here right now..

I did not advertise for fall cleanups this year.. Seems everyone is doing it for $30 an hour. Looks like we've got one week of mowing left then the plows go on...

What limited fall cleanups I decided to take, are billed at $80 per man/per hour. Too much work and we hate doing them:usflag:

lawncare18
11-03-2006, 04:54 PM
Steve hows it been going man.. Hope business is going good for you.. you sitll working out in buff cleanin up? any big loging jobs lined up yet for you? hope all is well man.

stripes
11-03-2006, 06:07 PM
They are super, time to get paid payup b*tches

qualitylandscaping
11-03-2006, 10:11 PM
Steve hows it been going man.. Hope business is going good for you.. you sitll working out in buff cleanin up? any big loging jobs lined up yet for you? hope all is well man.

Business is going great this year. Slightly off last year as far as net profit goes, but with such a wet summer we lost a few weeks of mowing to rain and had to delay quite a few install projects until next season.

Left Buffalo. The Mayor of Buffalo demanded a work stoppage. I guess there were/are alot of tree companies that are really inflating the rates and practically charging 3-5x what the work should be done for. They are also taking trees that are not really dead. From what I hear, they hired independent arborists to come in and evaluate any tree that is still standing before its cut down. I think its a good thing, but I want no part in the action now.

We are working on two decent sized logging jobs right now. One is 75 acres of selective clearing (primarily oak and black walnut).

The other is a FIRE management project. We are clearing out the dead wood, and cleaning the area up to prevent fires. That project is roughly 40 acres.

lawncare18
11-03-2006, 10:46 PM
nice man.. when you gona show some pics of your equipment new stuff.. i am sure you must have some new toys???

qualitylandscaping
11-03-2006, 10:55 PM
nice man.. when you gona show some pics of your equipment new stuff.. i am sure you must have some new toys???

Haven't really bought all that much in new equipment this year. We bought a Kubota L2900 tractor w/ brush hog (shown on my website) and also a CAT Challenger MT275B tractor w/ brush hog. Got a new CAT 257B tracked skidsteer (tired of pulling out 236's out of the mud). A few new JD 757-777 mowers.

Working on 2 new F-450's, a CAT D6N Dozer, and an 18" Chipper for 2007

Uranus
11-03-2006, 11:11 PM
Mother Nature eliminated at least 50% of my leaf business last weekend with the high winds. I should be done in a couple of weeks.

She did it to me too. 25% of my lawns have almost nothing on them. I'm skipping the first cleanup and doing them on the second round. Then on the other hand alot of them got nailed by the oaks. Taking longer that it should but I'm hoping that the times will even out with the second cleanup since the first ones are heavy. I have 4 or 5 more days on round one then start at the top of the list and go through them again. Leaves are about 75% down.