PDA

View Full Version : Yard from hell

Mike33
10-30-2006, 09:24 PM
Here was a yard that sat for 2 years before anything was done. We got the job and buit 3 walls to take out slope. Then we re graded, added clay over shale, then added 5" of top soil and hydro-seeded.
Mike

Lawnsmithcare
10-30-2006, 09:30 PM
Nice job what kind of equipment did you use on that job.

Green-Pro
10-30-2006, 09:58 PM
Huge improvement, walls look top notch. I like the block looks very similar to the King block we use. When did thr hydroseeding get done? Enough time to get a good stand of turf? Looks good Mike.

Mike33
10-30-2006, 10:06 PM
Nice job what kind of equipment did you use on that job.
Thanks, Bobcat 185 steel tracks, hoe attm, rockhound, turfmaker hydroseeder
Mke

Mike33
10-30-2006, 10:12 PM
Huge improvement, walls look top notch. I like the block looks very similar to the King block we use. When did thr hydroseeding get done? Enough time to get a good stand of turf? Looks good Mike.
Thanks,
I use allen block. I seeded last week it will be tough but i think maybe if the weather holds a couple more days it might pop. I norrmally use 80-20 blend of fescue but i added an extra 10 lbs of per.and ann. rye in each tank. I explained all to homeowner and told him i would come back in spring and fertlize and re seed for just the cost of material and he is cool with that.
Mike

MJK
10-30-2006, 10:50 PM
Dumb question but, Which wall did you build first? The bottom one?

LB1234
10-31-2006, 01:41 PM
Not trying to come across as jerk, it looks good....but...

Looking at picture #3 it looks as if the bottom of the middle wall starts rising on the left??? It seems not to be the same height throughout the length of the wall if you view it from the caps on the bottom wall...

Is this some type of opitical illusion do to the wall turning in more or something? Is it me???

Again, I'm not trying to be a jackass.

ED'S LAWNCARE
10-31-2006, 02:58 PM
I wish I could do that. Looks great

huh
10-31-2006, 05:34 PM
wow huge change

those people must be on a budget.....hopefully one day they will carry the stone facade on down to your great work....that is a hell of a lot of slab showing.....and maybe they will slap something over the tyvek by the door :confused:

but very nice work for someone probably on a tight budget and IMO doing the smart thing and going bigger nicer house in small pieces

Ron's Lawncare
10-31-2006, 05:39 PM
nice stonework but it looks like it will be a pain in the but to mow.

Mike33
10-31-2006, 05:56 PM
Not trying to come across as jerk, it looks good....but...

Looking at picture #3 it looks as if the bottom of the middle wall starts rising on the left??? It seems not to be the same height throughout the length of the wall if you view it from the caps on the bottom wall...

Is this some type of opitical illusion do to the wall turning in more or something? Is it me?

Again, I'm not trying to be a jackass.
Not to defend my self i think it is an illusion , we was careful on things like that and even changed our plan during construction. The angle i took the pic i see your point but on terrace walls you do get illusions especially this slope and how you want to look at it. On the other hand i give 100% but im not perfect, and could be off.
Mike

Mike33
10-31-2006, 06:00 PM
[QUO]Dumb question but, Which wall did you build first? The bottom one?[/QUOTE]
yes the bottom one did not build the left turn until we got bobcat and hoe attment in there to dig footer and sit block for the second wall. This is the key to many terrace walls starting slope was a pita.
Mike

i_plant_art
10-31-2006, 06:07 PM
nice place for the satelite dish huh.... you would think the dumba$$ that hung it could have put it around the corner at least to get it out of the main view of the front. At least on a pole if he had too that thing looks SO tacky where it is and wont be able to really be concealed with plants either.

By the way nice walls!:waving: :cool2:

greasy_gun
10-31-2006, 06:24 PM
great work:clapping:

Green-Pro
10-31-2006, 06:26 PM
nice stonework but it looks like it will be a pain in the but to mow.

I love putting in terraced walls like these.....Opportunity to upsell landscape design & install to make things low maintenance. payup payup

Mike33
10-31-2006, 08:15 PM
nice place for the satelite dish huh.... you would think the dumba$$ that hung it could have put it around the corner at least to get it out of the main view of the front. At least on a pole if he had too that thing looks SO tacky where it is and wont be able to really be concealed with plants either.

By the way nice walls!:waving: :cool2:
Thats very minor, you would of got a real laugh if you was on site and walked around the house before and after we did our part. As we know landscapers dont finish porchs, vinyl siding, insulation and trim around the windows, etc.
Mike

Mike33
10-31-2006, 08:20 PM
wow huge change

those people must be on a budget.....hopefully one day they will carry the stone facade on down to your great work....that is a hell of a lot of slab showing.....and maybe they will slap something over the tyvek by the door :confused:

but very nice work for someone probably on a tight budget and IMO doing the smart thing and going bigger nicer house in small pieces
With out going in to details, this family could buy and sell all of us that made a post here and still live big time.
Mike

dave k
10-31-2006, 08:43 PM
Mike, wall looks better than the house, great job!
Ditto on the Sat. dish, TACKY!

Mike33
10-31-2006, 10:31 PM
Thanks to everyone who made a post to my thread. Seems like i comment more than making threads maybe this winter i will do better.
Mike

Mike33
10-31-2006, 10:45 PM
Im workin in neighborhood and rode by and grass is popping in some areas, if we keep on with a few more days of warm weather we have been having it will be okey. I would like some germination before winter, i dont like it laying dormat all winter with out any germination at all.
Mike

Green-Pro
10-31-2006, 11:41 PM
Im workin in neighborhood and rode by and grass is popping in some areas, if we keep on with a few more days of warm weather we have been having it will be okey. I would like some germination before winter, i dont like it laying dormat all winter with out any germination at all.
Mike

Best of luck with that grass Mike, glad to here its germinating & hope it gets a good stand for ya. This time of year its a real crapshoot.

GreenMonster
11-01-2006, 08:45 PM
Mike,

It's my guess that your walls are level and true.

It seems the camera has a strange way of showing things out-of-plumb, square, and level when in reality, they're not. Don't know why, but it's true.

So, you still aren't trying anything other than AB? Come on, try the Techo -- trust me, you won't be sorry :)

neversatisfiedj
11-01-2006, 10:06 PM
Mike you are the Allan Block master !!! Great job. What did that job run anyway if you don't mind ?

--Josh

ACutAbovesiny
11-01-2006, 10:37 PM
Great work. Much better than that mess it was before. Do you know what your gonna put in those beds yet?

Mike33
11-01-2006, 11:27 PM
Mike,

It's my guess that your walls are level and true.

It seems the camera has a strange way of showing things out-of-plumb, square, and level when in reality, they're not. Don't know why, but it's true.

So, you still aren't trying anything other than AB? Come on, try the Techo -- trust me, you won't be sorry :)
Thanks Mark,
Yea i know what you mean about taking pics. This job the lay out of the land depending what angle you would stand or look would appeal different. On the terrace you still shoot the grades and should work? I did try another block that afriend dist. and got me the job. Corner stone block not bad but changing pace is different. Hey we are in pure w. md. we have ab, cornerstone , and ep henry flip your coin i guess. If i had a local dist. i would give a try but to have it shipped in that would be tough.
Mike

Mike33
11-01-2006, 11:32 PM
Mike you are the Allan Block master !!! Great job. What did that job run anyway if you don't mind ?

--Josh
Thanks josh i admire your work also. Walls was 10k Yard front and rear which you cant see on pic 3,700.00 but customer supplied clay and top soil. Customer is part owner 200 acres of river bottom top soil that goes around 8' deep no rocks. Yard was around 20k sq' and we hydro-seeded also.
Mike

Mike33
11-01-2006, 11:33 PM
Great work. Much better than that mess it was before. Do you know what your gonna put in those beds yet?
Not at this time and it was not part of my deal. Do you think the customer would really care?
Mike

green horizons
11-04-2006, 11:08 PM
I like the flat/ straight front on the block. My limited experience is with
beveled stone. The beveled tends to hide inperfections better.
Are there more cuts with the straight face, for the same wall type?

Mike33
11-05-2006, 09:45 AM
Allen block has a beveled rock style. We dont care for it only done about 4 and 5 years ago and cant remember the details except we didnt care for them. If that makes sence
Nike

all ferris
11-12-2006, 05:35 PM
mike, your work is great. It's a shame the contractor that built the house didn't take more pride in his work. The homeowner may be at fault too. The thing I hate about the house is that the brick should go all the way down to grade. The contractor should have poured the brick ledge at grade level. All that nice brick work and retaining wall really suffers from the showing concrete foundation. Maybe some nice shrubs would block the ugly foundation.

Mike33
11-12-2006, 10:35 PM
mike, your work is great. It's a shame the contractor that built the house didn't take more pride in his work. The homeowner may be at fault too. The thing I hate about the house is that the brick should go all the way down to grade. The contractor should have poured the brick ledge at grade level. All that nice brick work and retaining wall really suffers from the showing concrete foundation. Maybe some nice shrubs would block the ugly foundation.
thanks, yea i think in the spring we will get that job. The pics dont show the worst of the house that the cont. did. Also it could have been set in a different location of property that a wall wouldnt of been needed.
Mike