PDA

View Full Version : Look at this wall.

ParkerLM
10-31-2006, 04:04 PM
This retaining wall caught my attention the other day so I though I would share it with you...This wall is huge and it is a danger zone for sure...This guy has some problems.

stumper1620
10-31-2006, 04:30 PM
that would tend to ruin a mans day.:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

FATWEASEL
10-31-2006, 04:32 PM
What's behind it, nothing? Looks like 3 to 6 feet or more, in places, of courses with nothing behind it to hold it up.

huh
10-31-2006, 05:40 PM
that wall is closer to 15 feet unless the building is for little people

paver/wall block companies are going to be the next asbestos/plastic plumbing tubing/mold breeding stucco, story of the 2000s

the crap people try and use pavers/wall blocks for is a joke

crab
10-31-2006, 06:40 PM
amen to that. block is a joke.cant wait for the rest to start falling.

ParkerLM
10-31-2006, 07:00 PM
It looks like they just backfilled with dirt...and not even that in some places. Pic 1 & 2 > the wall is about 25 to 30 ft tall...pic 3 & 4 are about 15 ft. tall.

DBL
10-31-2006, 09:05 PM
did some of it start falling or is he not finished yet

ParkerLM
10-31-2006, 09:44 PM
They are not finished, the upper rows in pic 4 have fell back and there is alot of cracks and seperation in other parts of this wall. They did fill the blocks with gravel as you can see it coming out. I guess they told them stop working on it.

paponte
10-31-2006, 10:30 PM
That is just pitiful. Gives us all a bad name, but I bet he was the lowest bid! Where is the drainage? Grid? Backfill? Unbelievable! :clapping:

Mike33
10-31-2006, 10:39 PM
I had a chance to bid on wall similar in size 2 years ago. My comment was im not good enough and walked away. 1 thing it actually had a deadline to meet. I cant really say how would there be a fast way of building this. Also talking to my sales rep from allen block, there isnt most of the time the profit margin you would think. Big jobs are for the big boys and i would sooner sit back and say im a little piss ass and walk away. Now we have a large company or contractor with a big ego that took bragging rites he built this wall for sometime and now is probably ready to put a gun to his head. What a jam to be in.
Mike

neversatisfiedj
11-01-2006, 10:08 PM
I see more and more of these commercial walls with no drains. Or I see them with 2 inch PVC outlets. Doesn't NCMA specify 4" every 40 feet. What gives ? How are they getting inspections ?

--Josh

FATWEASEL
11-01-2006, 10:47 PM
that wall is closer to 15 feet unless the building is for little people

paver/wall block companies are going to be the next asbestos/plastic plumbing tubing/mold breeding stucco, story of the 2000s

the crap people try and use pavers/wall blocks for is a joke

I realize the wall is higher than 3-6 feet. What I meant was that it looks to be 3-6 feet tall from the places where it starts leaning back, to the top of the wall. I'm assuming that where it starts leaning is where the backfill stops so 3-6 feet was alot of courses to not have anything behind it.

:)

ParkerLM
11-27-2006, 06:09 PM
I found out what the deal is with this wall. The 1st guy the built the wall did a good job. This wall is behind a gas station and the trucks could not make the turn to go behind the building, so they contracted out another company to tear down part of the wall and move it back 10 feet. The 2nd guys where dirt movers not wall builders....and they did not not build it right, no rocks in the blocks or behind the wall and so on...so thats why it is falling apart>>>the people wanted to save a buck and now it going to cost them big to fix it.

bkdlawnCo
11-27-2006, 08:21 PM
c'mon guys, that wall is B-E-A-UTIFUL...open your eyes....hahaha...i like how there are no drains...i'm subbing this guy the next time i have to do a wall....what a joke.

Tharrell
11-27-2006, 08:30 PM
I know virtually nothing about walls so, can someone tell me an alternative to block in a situation like that? Also, could a block wall be built safely as high as that one is?

RockSet N' Grade
11-27-2006, 10:32 PM
redi-rock could have been an alternative. Tharrell, go to the redi-rock website and read their installation manual (download for free). It will give you a basic understanding of wall construction, no matter what type of product is used. They discuss drainage, footing design, cant, layouts of different site conditions and even reccommend having an engineer inspect the process. Rules in our neck of the woods now require any type wall over 4' be engineered and inspected.

ParkerLM
01-08-2007, 01:14 AM
The Great wall has fell in some parts...I'll try to get some pictures and post soon.