PDA

View Full Version : Subaru

tthomass
10-31-2006, 06:55 PM
Thinking about a push blower I have an opportunity to purchase. I've only used a Little Wonder and that was 2yrs ago and no idea which it was etc.

The one I'm looking at:

-1yr +/- old
-its orange.....i forgot the brand
-9hp Subaru engine......has low hrs.........20ish

Those of you familar with the Subaru.......how do you like it? How is it in the long run, once it gets some hrs? Compared to Kawi and Honda?

Thanks!

grass_cuttin_fool
10-31-2006, 07:01 PM
Ive got a friend that has that engine on a blower and it has alot of age on it. They only do their own yard but it gets a good work out each fall. Alot of thoose engines are marketed as Robin engines and seem to be ok, its hard to say how they may stack up against others. I quess it depends on how it was serviced and all

wayne

A.D Services
10-31-2006, 07:07 PM
i heard the robin engines are good but they are hard to get parts for

topsites
10-31-2006, 07:08 PM
I don't know much about subaru, but I do know you want 8+ hp, if that helps.

Don't buy no 5-6 hp's, you will regret it.

Will the seller let you test it?
I'd run it a bit, put my hand in front of the chute or see if there's a trashcan or other heavy object around to test the force of air against. For a 9hp, it should amaze you.

tthomass
10-31-2006, 07:17 PM
seller is not an issue nor is testing the equipment, i am just not familar with Subaru engines

he told me the engine brand and i was a bit like "say what?"

Tharrell
10-31-2006, 07:59 PM
Sounds like a BillyGoat Force blower. Fuji Robin-Subaru make great engines.

MarkintheGarden
10-31-2006, 08:03 PM
I had a robin subaru engine on a snpper mower the engine died after five years of heavy use. I loved the way it sounded, much smoother than other engines.

They are kind of hard to get parts for, I killed mine trying to mow a stump, I kept it and may rebuild it one day.

tthomass
10-31-2006, 08:13 PM
told me it seems to weigh a lot less vs honda/briggs.........good on a push

mike lane lawn care
10-31-2006, 09:00 PM
are they the subaru engines made by the car company, if so, they must be graet engines.

Roger
10-31-2006, 11:03 PM
I repowered a Snapper hand mower many years ago with a Robin engine, 6hp OVH, spin-on oil filter, two element air filter. It was an excellent engine for the year or so I used it -- then I went to another brand of mower. I still have it, but use it sparingly. The major con is the weight. I think it weighs about 35#, heavy for an engine of that horsepower.

pugs
11-01-2006, 12:07 AM
Subaru is the name they are putting on them now. Same engine. They used to put Robin in big letters and Subaru in small. Doesnt matter. All made by Fuji Heavy Industries. Take a look under the hood of a Polaris snowmobile from like 1970 to 1995 or so and 95% sure it will say Fuji on it. Some still do. Our 97 XLT and 02 SuperSport still have Fuji's :)