PDA

View Full Version : Modified Exmark Walkbehind....

Andyinchville
10-31-2006, 07:56 PM
HI All,

AARG....been in business since 1994 and despite constant usage (Min of 7 hrs per day at least 5 days/ week), I have never had either a Kohler 15 Command or
Kawasaki FC 420 V quit on me from just wearing out....BOTH times (and one just today) was a result of low to no oil in the engine.....Despite constantly telling the guys to check things... I guess things do happen....Do yourself a favor check your oil ;-)

Well , with that in mind I am now having to decide what to repower my Exmark 48" Turf Tracer HP mower with....The engine that bit the dust was a Kohler Command 15 recoil start....Should I go Kohler or Kawi ? ...Since Honda isn't a real player in engines of this size I haven't really considered them....Also I was thinking of going up in power....Possibly a 19 HP Kawi? I know a 17 HP model is on my other Exmark but gotta love the extra power for spring's tall grass!....Anybody out there do this? was it hard to do?....I have also been thinking going delux and getting electric start too....I guess I think I'd make the best of a bad situation...Has anybody gone even farther than I propose and maybe gone with an electric clutch equipped 23 or 25 HP like on the Zeros? (electric clutches etc may require more modding of the mower but hey winter is almost here and I'll have time! ;-)

Thanks in advance for any and all opinions or other ideas.

Andrew

Groomer
10-31-2006, 10:02 PM
running 2 48's with 17 kaws, 350 hours since new in July 06, no complaints.

littlenic
11-01-2006, 09:19 AM
You can get the a Donaldson filter on the 19 good luck, littlenic

jtkplc
11-01-2006, 09:27 AM
I'm considering getting a 17 hp Kawasaki to replace my 15 hp Kawasaki on my 36" hydro Gravely walk-behind. Mine motor hasn't blown, I just want more power. If your walk-behind is hydro, I would look at the 19hp Kawasaki, but I'm a power guy, I don't want to be short power. :weightlifter:

TriplePLandscaping
11-01-2006, 09:28 AM
for my .02, go w/ the kawasaki, i thought the kohler's are more expensive anyway. electric start+19hp should be a really nice setup.

fearthedeere
11-01-2006, 11:01 AM
17 hp kawi on my 48'' HP...I wish it had an hr. meter, but I'd say it has somewhere around 750 hrs. on it. I've never really had probs with power except when I tried to mow a strawberry patch down with it! ;)